US govt may cut military commissaries from budget

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/02/pentagon-floats-plan-to-close-us-commissaries/
Military folks, told you eventually the "less government" folks would come for your stuff too. They may cut the commissary, and as the Marine Major General said in the article, personnel benefits are hurting active duty readiness.

So, the sequester is cutting into military benefits. And the Tea Party minds? Well, as I predicted, it is only a matter of time before they turn on the military......or, their compensation anyway.

Afterall, we have WalMarts. Why should MY tax money pay for a grocery store on US soil that is for government employees only...when the wives and kids of the military folks can shop at WalMart...."like the rest of us"?

Last edited:
Ya might want to check your link, a sheriff telling maobama to shove it on flying the flag at half staff really doesn't jive with your narrative.

Pentagon floats plan to close US commissaries | Fox News

Bad link before.

All you military folks, read up on this. They are actually trying to solicit Walmart to fill the void.

Told you guys. The GOP, Tea Party, etc? They will turn on the military.

In the end, they view ALL employees of ANY government the same: Govt employees earning (stealing in their mind) tax payer money.

When there is a war their lobbyists in the defense contract world want you to fight? Sure, they'll pay up for it, and promise you the world to sign up. But when the bill is due? And they may have to pay an extra tax dollar to give you what they promised you for fighting? Nope. They believe in smaller government and less, or no, taxes.

You don't have to become a Democrat to tell the GOP to go fuck themselves. And let the chips fall where they may, as they did in 2008 and 2012.

Yes because the left isn't trying to cut military benefits at all. I mean, unless you count my cut in pay this year from Obama. Yes, he raised base pay for political reasons, but then he raised payroll taxes higher than the pay raise. Only the GOP is attempting to cut military pay.

As far as your 'why can't military people shop at wal mart like the rest of us' question, I can only answer that by asking what you've done? Have you been within five hundred feet of an Iranian spy plane photographing your ship in the straits? Have you watched pirates get killed without Tom Hanks around? Have you been in the desert living in a truck unable to get out because of the likelihood of being shot? None of those? Nothing close? Enjoy your coffee next time you read the news on your couch in your house with your family. Not to mention that while doing none of those things you make too much to qualify for food stamps.

Commissaries made sense at one time when Military bases were in remote locations....now there is a Walmart outside every base

Those bases that lack adequate shopping nearby can keep their commissaries, otherwise, who cares?

Yes because the left isn't trying to cut military benefits at all. I mean, unless you count my cut in pay this year from Obama. Yes, he raised base pay for political reasons, but then he raised payroll taxes higher than the pay raise. Only the GOP is attempting to cut military pay.

As far as your 'why can't military people shop at wal mart like the rest of us' question, I can only answer that by asking what you've done? Have you been within five hundred feet of an Iranian spy plane photographing your ship in the straits? Have you watched pirates get killed without Tom Hanks around? Have you been in the desert living in a truck unable to get out because of the likelihood of being shot? None of those? Nothing close? Enjoy your coffee next time you read the news on your couch in your house with your family. Not to mention that while doing none of those things you make too much to qualify for food stamps.

Payroll taxe hikes went to EVERYONE, not just military. You guys got base pay raises? Most people didn't.

I was being sarcastic about the "like the rest of us" comment. Right wingers love to screw over govt workers, and use that phrase to justify it. I don't support commissaries being cut.

As for what I've done, this isn't Monster dot com to post resumes. But, worked as a cop in Atlanta for 8 years. Got shot at? Yep. A handful of times. Seen people get killed? Yep. Teenagers commit suicide right in front of you? Then have to break news to mom? Yep. No point in going down the list of the bad side of humanity that happens right here in US streets. You know, a lot of the "news" you said I'd read about. And a lot of it that the news never hears about.

Apples and oranges.

But, you guys deserve that commissary, and much higher pay. No military member should lose a single dime in compensation or benefits until every single person in the House and Senate forfeit their pay and benefits.

And like I said years ago, eventually, the GOP will turn against that stuff for you guys.

Last edited:

Payroll taxe hikes went to EVERYONE, not just military. You guys got base pay raises? Most people didn't.

I was being sarcastic about the "like the rest of us" comment. Right wingers love to screw over govt workers, and use that phrase to justify it. I don't support commissaries being cut.

As for what I've done, this isn't Monster dot com to post resumes. But, worked as a cop in Atlanta for 8 years. Got shot at? Yep. A handful of times. Seen people get killed? Yep. Teenagers commit suicide right in front of you? Then have to break news to mom? Yep. No point in going down the list of the bad side of humanity that happens right here in US streets. You know, a lot of the "news" you said I'd read about. And a lot of it that the news never hears about.

Apples and oranges.

But, you guys deserve that commissary, and much higher pay. No military member should lose a single dime in compensation or benefits until every single person in the House and Senate forfeit their pay and benefits.

And like I said years ago, eventually, the GOP will turn against that stuff for you guys.

Roger sorry I hasn't had my coffee yet when I read your post. Points noted.

Pentagon floats plan to close US commissaries | Fox News
Military folks, told you eventually the "less government" folks would come for your stuff too. They may cut the commissary, and as the Marine Major General said in the article, personnel benefits are hurting active duty readiness.

So, the sequester is cutting into military benefits. And the Tea Party minds? Well, as I predicted, it is only a matter of time before they turn on the military......or, their compensation anyway.

Afterall, we have WalMarts. Why should MY tax money pay for a grocery store on US soil that is for government employees only...when the wives and kids of the military folks can shop at WalMart...."like the rest of us"?

Commissaries were a good thing for the military in the 50s and 60s and up until the early 70s when GIs weren't making anywhere near the money that they make now. You could save a good deal of money then (I know, I grew up in the Air Force and retired from the Army in 86).

Somewhere around the late 80s, the DoD turned control of the Commissaries and PXs (AFEES) over to contractors to run. Away went the big savings that the GIs enjoyed for many years. Now, commissaries and PXs don't offer much in the way of savings so most military members do a larger part of their shopping on the local economies.

Where commissaries are a MUST is overseas and there is no talk whatsoever of dropping them.

So,basically, you're full of crap, yet again.

[90;8279734]Pentagon floats plan to close US commissaries | Fox News

Commissaries were a good thing for the military in the 50s and 60s and up until the early 70s when GIs weren't making anywhere near the money that they make now. You could save a good deal of money then (I know, I grew up in the Air Force and retired from the Army in 86).

Somewhere around the late 80s, the DoD turned control of the Commissaries and PXs (AFEES) over to contractors to run. Away went the big savings that the GIs enjoyed for many years. Now, commissaries and PXs don't offer much in the way of savings so most military members do a larger part of their shopping on the local economies.

Where commissaries are a MUST is overseas and there is no talk whatsoever of dropping them.

So,basically, you're full of crap, yet again.

I've worked in a commissary. The price difference is night and day. To say that you don't save much shows your ignorance.

However, I agree that they aren't really necessary anymore.

Aside from that. It's total bullshit that the higher ups always go straight for personnel. Can't shut down foreign bases, can't end wars, can't stop wasteful projects. Nope, have to cut pensions and kick people out.

Last edited:
Anytime budget cuts are mentioned the first and in many cases the only thing the left will accept cuts on is the defense budget so I trust you understand why I don't take the lefts concern over this serious.

Forum List

Back