Gutless Gesture by WTA Player Naomi Osaka

Eric Arthur Blair

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2015
Naomi Osaka has said she will not play the semi finals of the Western and Southern tennis tournament tomorrow in New York as a protest of the shooting in Kenosha, which seems like grandstanding and virtue signaling of the highest order.

I'll be shocked if the USTA, the highly leftist oriented and run tennis organization, gives Belgian player Elise Mertens a walk over tomorrow against Osaka since she (Osaka) will not play.
It's more likely they will simply play the next day, which would rob Osaka of any real consequence but it would allow the USTA to put the ball back in her court, so to speak. And I'm certain Osaka knows this.

This will also rob Mertens making her play back to back matches in one day if the USTA folds up and gives in to Osaka.

She, Osaka, should simply default if her little virtue signaling ploy has any meaning at all.
It gets both Mertens and the USTA off the hook.

Naomi Osaka has said she will not play the semi finals of the Western and Southern tennis tournament tomorrow in New York as a protest of the shooting in Kenosha, which seems like grandstanding and virtue signaling of the highest order.

I'll be shocked if the USTA, the highly leftist oriented and run tennis organization, gives Belgian player Elise Mertens a walk over tomorrow against Osaka since she will not play.
It's more likely they will simply play the next day, which would rob Osaka of any real consequence but it would allow the USTA to put the ball back in her court, so to speak. And I'm certain Osaka knows this.

This will also rob Mertens making her play back to back matches in one day if the USTA folds up and gives in to Osaka.

She, Osaka, should simply default if her little virtue signaling ploy has any meaning at all.

If the other girl shows up and Naomi doesn't, I'm not sure they can do much. Surely there are strict rules, tennis is as much a European/British sport as it is American. They aren't as "woke" in Belgium.

If the other girl shows up and Naomi doesn't, I'm not sure they can do much. Surely there are strict rules, tennis is as much a European/British sport as it is American. They aren't as "woke" in Belgium.
I'm not confident the highly leftist USTA supporters of BLM would want to look like the bad guys by simply giving Mertens a walk over, which is what should happen.

We will see. As they say the ball is in their court. They just might throw the whole mess in the lap of Mertens making her the villain if she insists on playing as scheduled.

If the virtue signaling of Osaka, who I don't much care for, has any meaning she will live with handing
Mertens that semi final match.

I'll be shocked if the USTA, the highly leftist oriented and run tennis organization, gives Belgian player Elise Mertens a walk over tomorrow against Osaka since she will not play.

:lol: You really think so?

Politically sensitive lefties usually hate gigantic corporations and Western & Southern is one of the biggest. Hypocrite left wing tennis players don't seem to mind the evils of corporate America as long as they foot the bill for tennis matches that nobody cares about.

Politically sensitive lefties usually hate gigantic corporations and Western & Southern is one of the biggest. Hypocrite left wing tennis players don't seem to mind the evils of corporate America as long as they foot the bill for tennis matches that nobody cares about.
Well, of course I wouldn't say NO ONE cares about this big feeder tournament leading up to the US Open
after months and months of no tennis at all.

But like the Super Bowl and other massive sports events corporate sponsorship is vital and pays lots
of the bills. Nobody turns down the money of corporate sponsors who want to be associated with
the event.

I've seen BLM placards at other WTA events and wonder how much in free publicity the Marxist shit-birds
are getting in free product placement.

:lol: You really think so?

I imagine she'd have recourse through the Association if she isn't given the match. I don't follow the sport, I know only a couple of names, so I don't know if Mertens is a high ranked, high earner.

If Mertens can use the cash and the win on her record, she should show up. Nothing personal, but she trained for gameday, she doesn't owe anyone anything. If she shows up and Naomi doesn't, than she should shrug her shoulders sheepishly and take the W.

I imagine she'd have recourse through the Association if she isn't given the match. I don't follow the sport, I know only a couple of names, so I don't know if Mertens is a high ranked, high earner.

If Mertens can use the cash and the win on her record, she should show up. Nothing personal, but she trained for gameday, she doesn't owe anyone anything. If she shows up and Naomi doesn't, than she should shrug her shoulders sheepishly and take the W.
Mertens is a player making her way into the top tier over the last couple of seasons.
This is a big tournament and she's gone through the draw and if she makes the finals then
has a good shot at winning against two players not in their primes.

I completely agree Elise Mertens should get her walk over if the WTA doesn't capitulate to political pressure, which is always possible.
We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
No fucks were given on this day.
Pompous athletes need to STFU and do their jobs.

Imagine going to work tomorrow and proclaiming you will not participate because of some social cause or lecturing others in the workplace with your political beliefs....

Fuck these people

Who's Naomi Osaka and what's the WTA?

Yawn
She is nothing to you but what are you to her?

As predicted the WTA will reschedule her match robbing her gesture of any meaning at all and making it all
a disingenuous exercise in virtue signaling.

This is how deep the reasoning and thinking on the left goes.

Forum List

Back