U.S. intel concludes China reported fake numbers to conceal true size of coronavirus outbreak

I read similar type reporting based on intelligence officials that Trumpybear and his top Banana Republicans were briefed in a classified setting on how bad it was going to get, (on par with 1918) long before Trumpybear did his major flip-flop in mid March.

Can you provide the source for that?

The original source is the Post so it's behind a pay wall. Here's what the Hill reported.

The intelligence community was warning of the danger posed by the novel coronavirus throughout January and February as the White House downplayed the threat and was slow to roll out nationwide measures, reports show.

U.S. officials familiar with spy agency reporting told The Washington Post that the reports did not clarify when the virus might spread in the U.S. or recommend specific steps to prevent an outbreak, but they did track the international spread of the coronavirus and warn that China was initially dismissing the seriousness of what is now a pandemic.

Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together has recognized that China has been cooking the hell out of their numbers, controlling information and manipulating the message since day 1 in this situation.

how anyone believes anything that comes out of Xi's propaganda machine is utterly beyond me....

and how would anyone believe Tramp?
Trump admires Xi's control over China, as he seems to admire most communist or top down control world leaders. I figure Trump knew of the outbreak by word of intel reports from our State Department people in China far before it became public and mimicked Xi, by concealing and downplaying the significance of the early epidemic, long before it became an unstoppable pandemic. Communist China's public number are bogus and always have been.

Could be. I don't know when Trump really became aware and understood that this was going to be an uncontrollable issue here.

Should he have known? Probably as very early a lot of experts were saying this was going to pop loose and, once it did, it was going to be serious problem and very difficult, if not impossible, to contain or stop on a global level and almost certainly in a nation with large cities such as ours with a highly mobile population that this virus was already here and spreading.

I'm not sure he knew or grasped it completely or if he was hoping, along with a lot of people, that this would be successfully contained at least to the point where it didn't disrupt our daily lives to the extent it has.

My primary issue with Trump on this all along hasn't been his response actions, it's been his messaging on this issue, as I thought people should have been told the truth early on instead of 'no worries, this is going to disappear', when scientists were clanging away on the alarm bell that that was not a likely scenario.

For years China has sold us inferior products claiming the are up to US safety standards and have consistently lied.

Sheetrock, toys with lead, firecrackers that didn’t pass US standards.

We need to stop trusting China. They keep lying and we keep believing. We went to get some cookware the other day and most of it is made in China. We need to boycott China, we need to stop trusting and buying from them.

I was preaching this last year and I was told I was insane...

Problem is we might make the product somewhere else but it is not guaranteed the product material did not come from China...

So it is just a bad situation with no simple answer!

Is anyone actually defending China?

Many and some in the media as well as the WHO are even praising them for how wonderfully they've handled the crisis and how we should look to them as a model

How they handled their response to the outbreak is good, as far as we can tell. What I mean by that is that they have taken very aggressive measures to slow it down. Again, as far as we know, and we shouldn't be taking their word for it.

What I was referring to is the quote in the OP: "China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says". Is anyone defending them on this?

"China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete." Is anyone defending them on this?

China does NOT have our best interests in mind. We know that. I don't see anyone defending China in allowing this to spread to the world and misinforming everyone, but yes, I do think they tackled the issue aggressively.

Yes, on this board itself there have been posters using China Government numbers to claim China has been doing a good job and if I have to name them then I need a mod permission first because it will be about other threads.

Also China Government response was late and sloppy!

They waited over a month after being told about the virus and did everything to silence those trying to tell the world.

They lied to the WHO and when offered assistance by the CDC on January 6th 2020 they first refused.

They did not quarantined the infectious region until late January which mean for over a month infected and asymptomatic people were leaving the hot zone.

So no China Government did not do a good job and in fact they did a lousy job!

They lied and they were not proactive, I agree.

They were, however, effective at being REACTIVE and getting the thing under control once the outbreak was happening. (As far as we know)

They built hospitals in days and, like South Korea, got lots and lots of testing in to slow down the spread.

How they handled their response to the outbreak is good, as far as we can tell.

Right, if you consider lying about where it came from, lying about how dangerous it was including to their own people, allowing it to escape their borders and catch the rest of the world completely off guard savaging their populations both physically and economically, yes. They did a bang up job.

Right, if you consider lying about where it came from, lying about how dangerous it was including to their own people, allowing it to escape their borders and catch the rest of the world completely off guard savaging their populations both physically and economically, yes. They did a bang up job.

I specified exactly what I was referring to.

Obviously, I'm not referring to the parts you listed. And I doubt the WHO or the media have praised them for these as well.

I specified exactly what I was referring to.

Obviously, I'm not referring to the parts you listed.

It's a stupid argument to try and make. I don't know how you can't see that.

I second what Taz is saying!
Is anyone actually defending China?

Many and some in the media as well as the WHO are even praising them for how wonderfully they've handled the crisis and how we should look to them as a model

How they handled their response to the outbreak is good, as far as we can tell. What I mean by that is that they have taken very aggressive measures to slow it down. Again, as far as we know, and we shouldn't be taking their word for it.

What I was referring to is the quote in the OP: "China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says". Is anyone defending them on this?

"China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete." Is anyone defending them on this?

China does NOT have our best interests in mind. We know that. I don't see anyone defending China in allowing this to spread to the world and misinforming everyone, but yes, I do think they tackled the issue aggressively.

Yes, on this board itself there have been posters using China Government numbers to claim China has been doing a good job and if I have to name them then I need a mod permission first because it will be about other threads.

Also China Government response was late and sloppy!

They waited over a month after being told about the virus and did everything to silence those trying to tell the world.

They lied to the WHO and when offered assistance by the CDC on January 6th 2020 they first refused.

They did not quarantined the infectious region until late January which mean for over a month infected and asymptomatic people were leaving the hot zone.

So no China Government did not do a good job and in fact they did a lousy job!

They lied and they were not proactive, I agree.

They were, however, effective at being REACTIVE and getting the thing under control once the outbreak was happening. (As far as we know)

They built hospitals in days and, like South Korea, got lots and lots of testing in to slow down the spread.

South Korea did not need to build Hospitals had China Government had not done what I, Taz and many others have stated that are China Failures.

They ( China Government ) failed and say well they built Hospitals quickly is weak sauce mate!

Also from late November to late January China Government containment of the virus did not really exist and to say there was any, well there was none!

So no they failed and now the World is suffering and their numbers they are issuing are a lie!

It's a stupid argument to try and make. I don't know how you can't see that.

Ok then, let's see if you can justify your argument.

Your statement: "Many and some in the media as well as the WHO are even praising them for how wonderfully they've handled the crisis"

Have the WHO and the media praised China for
- lying about how dangerous it was including to their own people
- allowing it to escape their borders and catch the rest of the world completely off guard???

If so, then I'd like to see your sources on that. Because literally nobody is fucking praising them about those.

"
The U.S. intelligence community has concluded that China has been reporting fake coronavirus numbers — under-reporting both cases and deaths — in order to conceal the true size of the outbreak in the communist nation, three U.S. officials confirmed to Bloomberg Wednesday.

The news comes one day after Dr. Deborah Birx, response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force, suggested that the U.S. response to the pandemic may have been slower than ideal because China withheld a "significant amount of data."

The intelligence report is now breaking to the public, but one U.S. official told Bloomberg that the White House received it last week.

The true number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in China is not known.

This is you Proglodytes disgust us.

South Korea did not need to build Hospitals had China Government had not done what I, Taz and many others have stated that are China Failures.

They ( China Government ) failed and say well they built Hospitals quickly is weak sauce mate!

Also from late November to late January China Government containment of the virus did not really exist and to say there was any, well there was none!

So no they failed and now the World is suffering and their numbers they are issuing are a lie!

They built hospitals in days and got lots of tests done. That's good.

Is everything they did good? No.

"
The U.S. intelligence community has concluded that China has been reporting fake coronavirus numbers — under-reporting both cases and deaths — in order to conceal the true size of the outbreak in the communist nation, three U.S. officials confirmed to Bloomberg Wednesday.

The news comes one day after Dr. Deborah Birx, response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force, suggested that the U.S. response to the pandemic may have been slower than ideal because China withheld a "significant amount of data."

The intelligence report is now breaking to the public, but one U.S. official told Bloomberg that the White House received it last week.

Yet somehow South Korea figured it out and was ready when it hit.

"

So in other words, it was impossible to really determine an adequate and proportional response to the threat since the true extent of the threat was being concealed, so that many of the deaths that might occur in the USA now can be considered a direct result of their reticence and legal action should be taken to charge the Chine with billions of dollars in culpability!

If lying upsets you, why does your own government’s lies not upset you?

(smile) Son, I'm not caught in the false binary political system. People like you and Gator are simply blinded by Rump hate. So musch so you blieve the Communists over your President

Forum List

Back