Two Israeli scientists who emigrated to U.S. win Nobel Prize in Chemistry

Sick and tired of being Israeli. Again. Still. | Emily L. Hauser - In My Head

I’m sick of being Israeli.I am sick of watching my home lurch from bad to worse — from the unavoidable xenophobia of any hounded and nationalistic people, to creeping-vine-xenophobia, the kind that the holds the whole house up at a certain point, having all but replaced whatever was once between the bricks. Israel had one good, shining year when it seemed it might be stepping forward rather than back, but 1993 came and went and here we are, worse off than we were before the Oslo Accords, because the Palestinian economy is more thoroughly wrecked, the Palestinian people more thoroughly occupied, Palestinian land more thoroughly gobbled up, and thousands of people (the vast majority of them Palestinian) more thoroughly dead.And to those who would say “Is America really any different?” (as some friends have) I would say: Yes. In America, we go from bad to better — slowly, painfully, splutteringly, we move forward. Israel? Not so much. Have you seen the recent spate of anti-democratic laws passed in The Middle East’s Only Democracy ™? Or read up on why all those protesters were out on the streets for all those weeks? Not to mention the continual erosion, by design, of any and all hope for a genuine, mutally acceptable peace with the Palestinians? Bad to worse,
bad to worser, bad to worsest (until the next worsest comes along).
Leave it to Frau Sherri to find those Leftist Jews. Meanwhile, Frau Sherri, there have been people disgusted with being Muslims so they have dropped out of the religion. After all, they are quite aware (unlike you who seems in a coma when it comes to news that is not about Israel and/or the Jews) about how many murders are committed in the name of Islam. As an aside, I sure hope that when Frau Sherri next visits Iran that she doesn't tell the officials when she lands at the airport that she is a "good Christian woman."
Iran: Woman who converted to Christianity jailed - Adnkronos Religion

I’m sick of being Israeli.I am sick of watching my home lurch from bad to worse — from the unavoidable xenophobia of any hounded and nationalistic people, to creeping-vine-xenophobia, the kind that the holds the whole house up at a certain point, having all but replaced whatever was once between the bricks. Israel had one good, shining year when it seemed it might be stepping forward rather than back, but 1993 came and went and here we are, worse off than we were before the Oslo Accords, because the Palestinian economy is more thoroughly wrecked, the Palestinian people more thoroughly occupied, Palestinian land more thoroughly gobbled up, and thousands of people (the vast majority of them Palestinian) more thoroughly dead.And to those who would say “Is America really any different?” (as some friends have) I would say: Yes. In America, we go from bad to better — slowly, painfully, splutteringly, we move forward. Israel? Not so much. Have you seen the recent spate of anti-democratic laws passed in The Middle East’s Only Democracy ™? Or read up on why all those protesters were out on the streets for all those weeks? Not to mention the continual erosion, by design, of any and all hope for a genuine, mutally acceptable peace with the Palestinians? Bad to worse,

^^^^

This is pure and utter bullshit!

How about addressing the topic and stop with the cheap shots already sherri. You have done your best to obfuscate, inveigle and denigrate the facts and winners of the prize. All you can come up with is some bloggy nonsense instead of celebrating the fact that their breakthrough will even help those you champion.

This was written by an individual with dual citizenship just like the two scientists we are discussing.

She, just like the two men addressed in the OP, is Jewish.

She, just like the two men in the OP, chooses to live in the United States over Israel.

Emily Hauser is a real person, and she is a journalist.

And I think what she writes may go a long way in explaining why many Israelis like the scientists discussed in the OP are leaving Israel.

And it is not as if she has just severed all ties she has with Israel. She cannot stop writing about Israel, on her blog and for The Daily Beast, and elsewhere Her husband was born in Israel, she was born in the US and converted to Judaism when she was attending college in Israel. Her husband is an atheist, but she raises her children as Orthodox Jews. They have relatives in Israel, they regularly visit Israel, they even have relatives who are illegal settlers.

You do not want to address the issue of why people like these scientists and Emily Hauser are leaving Israel and not returning, does not make the phenomenon of Israelis leaving Israel go away.

^^^^

How about addressing the topic and stop with the cheap shots already sherri. You have done your best to obfuscate, inveigle and denigrate the facts and winners of the prize. All you can come up with is some bloggy nonsense instead of celebrating the fact that their breakthrough will even help those you champion.

This was written by an individual with dual citizenship just like the two scientists we are discussing.

She, just like the two men in the OP, chooses to live in the United States over Israel.

And I think what she writes may go a long way in explaining why many Israelis like the scientists discussed in the OP are leaving Israel.

And it is not as if she has just severed all ties she has with Israel. She cannot stop writing about Israel, on her blog and for The Daily Beast, and elsewhere Her husband was born in Israel, she was born in the US and converted to Judaism when she was attending college in Israel. Her husband is an atheist, but she raises her children as Orthodox Jews. They have relatives in Israel, they regularly visit Israel, they even have relatives who are illegal settlers.

You do not want to address the issue of why people like these scientists and Emily Hauser are leaving Israel and not returning, does not make the phenomenon of Israelis leaving Israel go away.

Sherri you have highlighted the fact that jews are and have always been
very opened to SELF-CRITICISM ----it works well for opened minded people---
and works for INTELLECTUAL DEVELOPEMENT and progress It does not
work for isa-respecting jihado nazis-----in fact it is not allowed. Were emily
hauser an IRANIAN EX-PAT----writing criticism of Iran-----and its disgusting
leadership and policies-------she would not be able to visit relatives in Iran and
could very well end up face down with a knife in her back

Emily Hauser writes-----and she visits Israel with no problem -----chances
are excellent that some of her children will-------go back there----and
even she might. I have never heard of an Iranian ex-pat in the USA
RETURNING TO IRAN ------for---for that matter LEBANON or any of
the other islamo jihado cesspits Lots of people migrate to the USA---
and MOST never return to their land of birth. I have known LOTS and
LOTS of Israelis who------did "go back there"
you made no point for YOUR isa-respecting filth-----at all.

Just for general knowlege. 90% of those who live Israel in the last years are mostly young and students. In Europe they gain free academic education and many benefits which are still prosessing in Israel. Most, and I mean, almost everyone leaving Israel, do it out of economic reasons. Not political ones.

But don't let that tiny fact interrupt your reaching and babbling nonsense.
It just kills the haters like Frau Sherri that the Jews have won those Nobel Prizes. It would probably frost Frau Sherri that a Jewish women, Scarlett Johansson has been named by Esquire Magazine as the sexiest woman alive for 2013.. Last year it was another Jewish woman who was given this honor (Mila Kunis). Frau Sherri wouldn't even be in the running.

You really should back up all your babbling with sources sometimes, that is if you want anyone to take what you say seriously.

Where is this data of who is leaving Israel and why?

As far as the Nobel Prizes, I see this as a story about the achievements of Americans. That is what these men are, American citizens.

As for the rest of what you wrote, not worth commenting on.

^^^^

There is no justification for Emily Hauser in this thread. It is simple as that.

3 Jewish professors — two of them Israeli — share 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry

But both Warshel and Levitt left Israel for the US because they felt they could not progress here — Warshel did not get tenure at the Weizmann Institute — underlining concerns about theongoing brain drain of top Israeli academics.

3 Jewish professors -- two of them Israeli -- share 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry | The Times of Israel
Funny watching them try so hard to disassociate and discredit anything having to with Israel when it comes to Nobel prize winners. It enjoyable how anti Semites drive themselves crazy over it. First it was they aren't Israeli, then it was they renounced their citizenship when they became American, and the last attempt was the Nobel prize doesn't mean there were contributions to humanity. I wonder if they ever think about how insane and idiotic they sound. Their are so blinded and driven by their hate, probably not.

yes, they did.

good thing they are contributing to a truly free and open society.
They felt comfortable and welcome in the US where there are many similarities between the two countries.

more likely they were trying to escape an intolerant and hateful society, and live free in a much more tolerant and honest society.

Or, most likely - they were better paid and offered better research facilities in the US - there is little evidence that it involved cultural reasons.

Just for general knowlege. 90% of those who live Israel in the last years are mostly young and students. In Europe they gain free academic education and many benefits which are still prosessing in Israel. Most, and I mean, almost everyone leaving Israel, do it out of economic reasons. Not political ones.

That is kind of what I thought and what the articles on the "brain drain" was saying. It's creating a real problem though for higher education in Israel.

That is kind of what I thought and what the articles on the "brain drain" was saying. It's creating a real problem though for higher education in Israel.

Link?

^^^^

There is no justification for Emily Hauser in this thread. It is simple as that.
The justification is bashing anything and everything Israel. That's her mission and her raison d'être, as it is with most Jew haters.

Wershel emigrated to the US 40+ years ago.

"Warshel, a 72-year-old professor at the University of Southern California, was born in Israel, served in its military in the 1967 and 1973 Mideast wars and earned his doctorate at Weizmann. He worked there as a scientist for six years in the 1970s but left for the United States after he wasn't offered tenure. Levitt, a 66-year-old professor at Stanford University, is also an Israeli citizen and in interviews said he encountered academic obstacles that pushed him abroad."

Israel doesn't give a lot, and that's why people are leaving," Levitt's wife, Rinat, told Israel Army Radio. "This is a result of pettiness, small-mindedness, and people who can't think big.""

Israeli ex-pats' Nobel win highlights brain drain

"Warshel, a 72-year-old professor at the University of Southern California, was born in Israel, served in its military in the 1967 and 1973 Mideast wars and earned his doctorate at Weizmann. He worked there as a scientist for six years in the 1970s but left for the United States after he wasn't offered tenure. Levitt, a 66-year-old professor at Stanford University, is also an Israeli citizen and in interviews said he encountered academic obstacles that pushed him abroad."

Israel doesn't give a lot, and that's why people are leaving," Levitt's wife, Rinat, told Israel Army Radio. "This is a result of pettiness, small-mindedness, and people who can't think big.""

Good article - it goes on to note:

But the country's higher education system has fallen onto hard times. In its latest survey of the world's top universities, Times Higher Education, a British publication, lowered the rankings of leading Israeli institutions. The Hebrew University fell to 191 from 137 last year, Tel Aviv University fell to 199 from 158, and the Technion, Israel's top technological university, fell out of the top 200.

The country's infectious entrepreneurial spirit was nurtured by generous government backing of R&D in the 1990s to create a hi-tech boom that earned it the nickname "startup nation." The military proved to be a fertile training ground for promising engineers, and a million immigrants from the former Soviet Union over the past two decades gave a sharp boost to science and technology. Numerous breakthroughs were pioneered in Israel, such as Wi-Fi technology, the computer firewall and instant messaging.

But Israeli academics also suffers from a steep slashing of government financing along with an antiquated structure that eschews reform and offers only paltry salaries for top professors. The number of full-time academic positions has dropped dramatically while the number of students has grown steadily.

Even those Israeli academic expats who want to come home for emotional, rather than professional, reasons often have few or no options for employment.

Link?

I linked to an article earlier in this thread, plus your own link states this.

Point? Israel doesn't have a lot to give a lot. It's the same with European countries. Very few universities and research centers, and too many highly educated brains competing for the same spot. So you move on to where there are more opportunities for you. That's how it works in life. You work in one company, they don't give you promotion or can't get a the position you want, you pally for another job where there is more mobility.

Speaking Hebrew in a series of Israeli media interviews, Warshel, who was born on a kibbutz, or collective farm, and Levitt, a native of South Africa, alluded to the difficulties in climbing the academic ladder in Israel.Their wives, however, seemed bitter."Israel doesn't give a lot, and that's why people are leaving. This is a result of pettiness, small-mindedness and people who can't think big," Levitt's spouse, Rinat, told Army Radio. Warshel's wife, Tamar, said her husband didn't receive tenure in Israel, "and that's why we had to leave".Israeli interviewers posed the formula question that is always asked of compatriots who have chosen to emigrate from a state established as a refuge for the Jewish people: When are you coming back, and not just for a visit?The short answer was, not any time soon.

Nobel Prize sparks 'brain drain' debate in Israel

Good article - it goes on to note:

But the country's higher education system has fallen onto hard times. In its latest survey of the world's top universities, Times Higher Education, a British publication, lowered the rankings of leading Israeli institutions. The Hebrew University fell to 191 from 137 last year, Tel Aviv University fell to 199 from 158, and the Technion, Israel's top technological university, fell out of the top 200.

The country's infectious entrepreneurial spirit was nurtured by generous government backing of R&D in the 1990s to create a hi-tech boom that earned it the nickname "startup nation." The military proved to be a fertile training ground for promising engineers, and a million immigrants from the former Soviet Union over the past two decades gave a sharp boost to science and technology. Numerous breakthroughs were pioneered in Israel, such as Wi-Fi technology, the computer firewall and instant messaging.

But Israeli academics also suffers from a steep slashing of government financing along with an antiquated structure that eschews reform and offers only paltry salaries for top professors. The number of full-time academic positions has dropped dramatically while the number of students has grown steadily.

Even those Israeli academic expats who want to come home for emotional, rather than professional, reasons often have few or no options for employment.
Again, what's the point here? Another diversion? Worse is happening in Europe...highly educated candidates and not enough positions. So what?

Point? Israel doesn't have a lot to give a lot. It's the same with European countries. Very few universities and research centers, and too many highly educated brains competing for the same spot. So you move on to where there are more opportunities for you. That's how it works in life. You work in one company, they don't give you promotion or can't get a the position you want, you pally for another job where there is more mobility.

You've pointed out multiple times that Israel has a booming economy. If so, it seems they should be able to address this problem in their higher education. It's not simply to many brains for the same spot - it's a reduction of spots, poor salaries, and an antiquated structure.

From Sherri's link:

Speaking Hebrew in a series of Israeli media interviews, Warshel, who was born on a kibbutz, or collective farm, and Levitt, a native of South Africa, alluded to the difficulties in climbing the academic ladder in Israel.Their wives, however, seemed bitter."Israel doesn't give a lot, and that's why people are leaving. This is a result of pettiness, small-mindedness and people who can't think big," Levitt's spouse, Rinat, told Army Radio. Warshel's wife, Tamar, said her husband didn't receive tenure in Israel, "and that's why we had to leave".Israeli interviewers posed the formula question that is always asked of compatriots who have chosen to emigrate from a state established as a refuge for the Jewish people: When are you coming back, and not just for a visit?The short answer was, not any time soon.

Nobel Prize sparks 'brain drain' debate in Israel
There were no job openings, lumpkin.

Forum List

Back