Tulsi: We Now Need Universal Income

If everyone is guaranteed the same income whether they work or not and whether they are a brain surgeon or a trash collector, why would anyone work?

I don't think it could replace an income unless you work at Walmart stocking shelves. But I always found it an interesting concept if we removed all social programs and replaced it with UI. It would solve so many problems in this country, and this coming from a conservative.
The hungry would still be hungry and the drug dealers would be much richer.

We got school feeding programs because the parents were trading WIC and EBT for cash to buy drugs.

Amazing the handwriting I see around the country about feeding kids as schools shut down. WIC, Food Stamps, Section 8, free school lunches, welfare...still not enough apparently.

What is Gabberd’s position on illegal aliens?

I bet she opposes deporting illegal aliens or stopping them at the border before they get here

which is another reason that UBI is a pretty dumb idea

I bet she opposes deporting illegal aliens or stopping them at the border before they get here

If we did have it, I don't think it would be extended to illegal aliens. In fact, it might work out better because they wouldn't be able to use their children to get on our social programs.

If we did have it, I don't think it would be extended to illegal aliens. In fact, it might work out better because they wouldn't be able to use their children to get on our social programs.

I usually agree with you Ray, but you are off base on this one. UBI is a bad idea no matter how you implement it is just more dependence on government and bigger government.

I’m confident dems would include illegal aliens just as I’m sure many if not all illegals will get the money when congress finishes the stimulus bill

I’m confident dems would include illegal aliens just as I’m sure many if not all illegals will get the money when congress finishes the stimulus bill

They would if they had the power, but they don't. We have the White House and the Senate, so they will have to cave in to the Republican demands on the stimulus. As for UBI, the same thing. They could never get Republicans on board with money for the illegals as well.

I usually agree with you Ray, but you are off base on this one. UBI is a bad idea no matter how you implement it is just more dependence on government and bigger government.

My idea would be to eventually replace all social programs with UBI. If we ran the numbers and found it would actually save our government money, then it should be looked at. As long as we have the problems we do today, the Democrats will keep pushing for more and more social programs.

The Democrats don't have the power to push through their new social program ideas, but that won't last forever. It might not last until next year, who knows? So if we had a strict policy of UBI with no more new social programs, it would solve a lot of problems for both Republicans and Democrats.

My idea would be to eventually replace all social programs with UBI. If we ran the numbers and found it would actually save our government money, then it should be looked at. As long as we have the problems we do today, the Democrats will keep pushing for more and more social programs.

The Democrats don't have the power to push through their new social program ideas, but that won't last forever. It might not last until next year, who knows? So if we had a strict policy of UBI with no more new social programs, it would solve a lot of problems for both Republicans and Democrats.

it would be too easy to abuse and cheat, and it would create more government, not less.

the concept seems good on the surface but the devil is always in the details.

Multiple lawmakers have proposed economic stimulus packages and universal basic income programs as the coronavirus begins to take a larger toll on the American economy.

On Friday, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), a 2020 presidential candidate, introduced a resolution that would provide an income of $1,000 a month to every American “until COVID-19 no longer presents a public health emergency.”

In an effort to stop the spread of the virus, the U.S. has imposed travel bans on several countries hardest-hit by the pandemic, and dozens of large events and conferences have been canceled or postponed.

Lawmakers call for universal basic income amid coronavirus crisis

As Democrats use this unfortunate situation to promote their political agenda, and attempt to create more government dependents, Universal Income is now being thrown out there. $1,000 a month to every American? Does that include children? How would handing every American a thousand bucks a month help with COVID 19?

I'm sure most people cannot quit their job or stay home from work getting $1,000 a month, so what exactly is this money, handed out by the federal government now 23 trillion dollars in debt, supposed to do for the people? Who declares when this public health emergency has ended?

I've talked about UI before, but only in light of replacing all social programs, which in the long run would save the government money. But to pass out money like candy at Halloween is just a ridiculous idea. But as the Democrats believe, never let a good crisis go to waste.
What universe does the money come from?

Multiple lawmakers have proposed economic stimulus packages and universal basic income programs as the coronavirus begins to take a larger toll on the American economy.

On Friday, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), a 2020 presidential candidate, introduced a resolution that would provide an income of $1,000 a month to every American “until COVID-19 no longer presents a public health emergency.”

In an effort to stop the spread of the virus, the U.S. has imposed travel bans on several countries hardest-hit by the pandemic, and dozens of large events and conferences have been canceled or postponed.

As Democrats use this unfortunate situation to promote their political agenda, and attempt to create more government dependents, Universal Income is now being thrown out there. $1,000 a month to every American? Does that include children? How would handing every American a thousand bucks a month help with COVID 19?

I'm sure most people cannot quit their job or stay home from work getting $1,000 a month, so what exactly is this money, handed out by the federal government now 23 trillion dollars in debt, supposed to do for the people? Who declares when this public health emergency has ended?

I've talked about UI before, but only in light of replacing all social programs, which in the long run would save the government money. But to pass out money like candy at Halloween is just a ridiculous idea. But as the Democrats believe, never let a good crisis go to waste.

The same place it does now, taxes.

it would be too easy to abuse and cheat, and it would create more government, not less.

I think our systems are getting ripped off a bunch now, like to the tune of tens of billions a year, and that's just Medicare and Medicaid alone. With over 88 federal social programs, not to mention local ones, we have thousands of federal workers dealing with all this nonsense, instead of just one like we would have for UBI. So I really think it would reduce government dramatically.

I'm not saying we should convert to the idea, but look into it more seriously with the bean counters.

The same place it does now, taxes.
What universe is taxed?

I think our systems are getting ripped off a bunch now, like to the tune of tens of billions a year, and that's just Medicare and Medicaid alone. With over 88 federal social programs, not to mention local ones, we have thousands of federal workers dealing with all this nonsense, instead of just one like we would have for UBI. So I really think it would reduce government dramatically.

I'm not saying we should convert to the idea, but look into it more seriously with the bean counters.

None of the current welfare programs would go away

this new handout would just go on top of all the others

I rarely give Democrats credit for anything because they rarely deserve credit. I got to give them credit for rejecting Yang as a candidate. His free money proposal was as crazy as you can get.

Let them start with 1000 and pretty soon....you'll be at the edge.

I liked her.....but she's not that smart.

New Topics

Forum List

Back