TULIP (God calls some to atheism)

The whole chapter was intended to be instructional. There are roles and responsibilities in all marriages or at least there are in harmonious relationships where two are joined into one.
Yes. One of the reasons Peter's advice to wives may have been longer is because in the culture of the day if a husband decided to become a Christian, he brought his wife along with him. If a wife decided to become Christian, and the husband did not, she was on her own.

One ignoring the first sentence. The other not. Pick and choose.. Pick and choose.. You did as expected.
The first sentence is: Likewise, you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that, if there are any who refuse to believe the word, they may be won for Christ without a word because they have seen your pure and reverent behavior.

The etymology of the word submissive was addressed. What was ignored?

I want to believe in God, and would if I could find the slightest reason to. That would be the greatest thing ever to have a personal relationship with an all knowing, all powerful God who cares about me, and comforts me in the hard times. I'm sure a real God would know how little it would take to convince me, and make me a follower forever, but, if he does exist, he doesn't seem to care about me enough to show he is real..
How little it would take to convince you? Really? There is no evidence you will even consider.

But putting that aside, why is it the creator of existence's job to satisfy your demands? What is your obligation in all of this?

The first sentence is: Likewise, you wives, be submissive to your husbands,
3 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2
Squirm all day, but you cannot hide. Take responsibility:
Ezra 10:4 ESV
Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you; be strong and do it.”

3 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2
St. Francis is credited with saying something like it. Preach the Gospel always. When necessary use words. Peter's advice is one's conduct can be even more effective than words.

Sure, it's the "god of the world and prince of the power of the air" who calls to evolution. D-farkers are doomed forever.

I want to believe in God, and would if I could find the slightest reason to. That would be the greatest thing ever to have a personal relationship with an all knowing, all powerful God who cares about me, and comforts me in the hard times. I'm sure a real God would know how little it would take to convince me, and make me a follower forever, but, if he does exist, he doesn't seem to care about me enough to show he is real..
How little it would take to convince you? Really? There is no evidence you will even consider.

But putting that aside, why is it the creator of existence's job to satisfy your demands? What is your obligation in all of this?
You're making some pretty big assumptions with nothing to back them up, aren't you? After spending most of my life telling myself that there has to be an omnipotent, loving God, and the only reason I couldn't make that connection was because I wasn't praying hard enough, or working hard enough to fulfill his plans for me, I finally realized I have no obligation. If a god really cares enough about me to have his son die for me, and he truly wants me to believe in him, he would at least give me some small reason to believe he exists.

If a god really cares enough about me to have his son die for me, and he truly wants me to believe in him, he would at least give me some small reason to believe he exists.
And as I believe Emily has pointed out, how does sacrificing animals, humans, or one's own son (still) translate as "Love!" or "moral" today? It's all just gross.

and he truly wants me to believe in him, he would at least give me some small reason to believe he exists.

Does He want belief, or does He want you to know Him? Do you see a difference between these two?

And as I believe Emily has pointed out, how does sacrificing animals, humans, or one's own son (still) translate as "Love!" or "moral" today? It's all just gross.
"I desire mercy, not sacrifice..." (Hosea 6:6) and the sentiment occurs in other verses as well.

Nah. . . I don't think you really do.

I have watched your ideas . . . your attitudes. . . and your behavior.

I do not wish to be presumptuous, nor arrogant, nor do I, indeed even pretend to know the great divine eternal plan.

BUT? If I were a betting man? I am pretty sure, it is the creator's plan, that your role is to be an atheist, and you are doing a fine job. :113:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

As such, this one is for you. . .

555wsj.jpg

Not sure how you can know someone when you have no reason to believe they exist. How does that work?
The greatest Commandment is to love God above all else. Struggling with this over the years my question was how can I love someone I don't even know? The Christian answer was to know Jesus is to know God. I think that may work for many, but I still struggled. Then I came across a Jewish philosophy. Knowing and loving God's Law teaches one to know and love God. This still took a lot of time (years), but I kept at it. In the end it was what worked best for me. Still, I had no trouble believing in God, so I that was not a step I had to overcome. Perhaps belief will come with knowing the Law? But first and primary, Do you want to believe in God?

It seems to me that if someone has no wish to know God, to love God, or to believe in God it is a long, hard row to hoe for something that is not even wanted.

You're making some pretty big assumptions with nothing to back them up, aren't you? After spending most of my life telling myself that there has to be an omnipotent, loving God, and the only reason I couldn't make that connection was because I wasn't praying hard enough, or working hard enough to fulfill his plans for me, I finally realized I have no obligation. If a god really cares enough about me to have his son die for me, and he truly wants me to believe in him, he would at least give me some small reason to believe he exists.
What assumptions did I make? I could walk down the list for reasons for believing God exists and you would deny everyone of them. There is no evidence you will even consider.

Not sure how you can know someone when you have no reason to believe they exist. How does that work?
The greatest Commandment is to love God above all else. Struggling with this over the years my question was how can I love someone I don't even know? The Christian answer was to know Jesus is to know God. I think that may work for many, but I still struggled. Then I came across a Jewish philosophy. Knowing and loving God's Law teaches one to know and love God. This still took a lot of time (years), but I kept at it. In the end it was what worked best for me. Still, I had no trouble believing in God, so I that was not a step I had to overcome. Perhaps belief will come with knowing the Law? But first and primary, Do you want to believe in God?

It seems to me that if someone has no wish to know God, to love God, or to believe in God it is a long, hard row to hoe for something that is not even wanted.
Wow. The part about spending most of my life in church and constantly in search of the great revelation that I was sure would eventually come for me went right over your head, didn't it? During that time I would proclaim my faith every chance I got, while never really seeing any real reason to do so.

What assumptions did I make? I could walk down the list for reasons for believing God exists and you would deny everyone of them. There is no evidence you will even consider.
You assume no evidence would convince me. However that is exactly what I have found. No evidence.

Wow. The part about spending most of my life in church and constantly in search of the great revelation that I was sure would eventually come for me went right over your head, didn't it? During that time I would proclaim my faith every chance I got, while never really seeing any real reason to do so.
No, I got that. You were looking for a great revelation. For yourself? What would you have done with it that you haven't been able to accomplish without said revelation? (By the way, looking for a Great Revelation isn't the same as seeking to know God.)

No, I got that. You were looking for a great revelation. For yourself? What would you have done with it that you haven't been able to accomplish without said revelation? (By the way, looking for a Great Revelation isn't the same as seeking to know God.)
I don't know about you, but I would call discovering a reason to believe that god actually exists, and that all the things I had been taught about him were true, an amazing revelation. Again, I don't know how anyone could know a god when there isn't any reason to believe they actually exist. You gotta explain how that works.

Forum List

Back