TN Welfare applicants drug tests: 37 out of 16,017 positive (0.2%)

The System has only been in place for a brief time. So it's too early to brand it a 'failure.' The OP is likely just expressing wishful thinking. He or she desperately hopes it fails. But hey, 37 less Moocher Democrats on the dole could be seen by others as a success. Depends on perspective i guess.

Drug testing of welfare applicants yields few positives

Six months after the rollout of a controversial law to drug-test people applying for public benefits, only a small fraction of low-income Tennesseans seeking financial assistance have tested positive for illegal drugs.

Thirty-seven of 16,017 applicants for the Families First cash assistance program between July and December tested positive for illegal substances, according to the Department of Human Services.

Another 81 lost their chance to receive benefits because they discontinued the application process at some point between the time they were required to fill out a three-item drug screening questionnaire and completing their application....

...In the first six months of the program, the state spent $5,295 to administer the program, including $4,215 to pay for the drug tests.

So much for the RW meme that all welfare recepients are on drugs.

On the other side, the cost of the testing program is really not very expensive, so assuming $1,000 per month in welfare, with 37 less people, that means $37,000 saved, minus $9,500 for the drug testing = $27,500 saved. Statistically, the drug tests are worth doing.

Once again the far left drones do not represent all the facts..

279 drug tests were administered

37 drug tests were positive

37 out of 279 is the true number, but this far left drone will once again show their religious dogma rules over reality..

I stand corrected. You are indeed right. I didn't see the end notes. That is then 11%, a higher figure indeed.

However, without having tested all 16,017 applicants, we will never know how many really would have tested positive. We also don't know what kind of profiling they used to decide to only test these 297. So, the figure is probably still quite low.

Thank you for catching my error, it was not intentional.
The System has only been in place for a brief time. So it's too early to brand it a 'failure.' The OP is likely just expressing wishful thinking. He or she desperately hopes it fails. But hey, 37 less Moocher Democrats on the dole could be seen by others as a success. Depends on perspective i guess.

So, you didn't read all of the OP, what? I actually wrote that I am not against the testing at all.

Six months after the rollout of a controversial law to drug-test people applying for public benefits, only a small fraction of low-income Tennesseans seeking financial assistance have tested positive for illegal drugs.

Thirty-seven of 16,017 applicants for the Families First cash assistance program between July and December tested positive for illegal substances, according to the Department of Human Services.

Another 81 lost their chance to receive benefits because they discontinued the application process at some point between the time they were required to fill out a three-item drug screening questionnaire and completing their application....

...In the first six months of the program, the state spent $5,295 to administer the program, including $4,215 to pay for the drug tests.

On the other side, the cost of the testing program is really not very expensive, so assuming $1,000 per month in welfare, with 37 less people, that means $37,000 saved, minus $9,500 for the drug testing = $27,500 saved. Statistically, the drug tests are worth doing.

Funny at the bank I work for they drug test every new employee (including myself) and last year they had 1 failure which is a percent of a percent of the new hires. Does that mean we should stop drug testing because so few fail? Nope!

So, you too did not read my OP all the way to the end, eh? I also wrote:

37 out of 279 is the true number, but this far left drone will once again show their religious dogma rules over reality..

I stand corrected. You are indeed right. I didn't see the end notes. That is then 11%, a higher figure indeed.

However, without having tested all 16,017 applicants, we will never know how many really would have tested positive. We also don't know what kind of profiling they used to decide to only test these 297. So, the figure is probably still quite low.

So, you didn't read all of the OP, what? I actually wrote that I am not against the testing at all.

No you misrepresent the facts and spewed the far left drone propaganda..

37 out of 279 is the true number, but this far left drone will once again show their religious dogma rules over reality

About 13.25%. Much closer to the national average of 9.2% that I just posted.
Yes, and 81 dropped out by not completing the process undoubtedly because they knew the results:

We need more testing. Good job! $81000 saved. We don't need to subsidize crack habits.

Just curious here. Did they also round up all the illegal immigrants in the state and test them? What about all the social workers?

You really didn't understand the OP, now did you....
Yes, I understood. What part of it do you think I didn't understand? What did I miss?

You quite obviously did not understand it. The testing system in TN is for all who are applying for welfare. What that is supposed to have to do with illegal immigrants is a mystery to me.

Oh, my bad if i misinterpreted the post. I guess it could be seen as a success that so few tested positive. It could mean the program has encouraged less drug use. But i can assure you, the usual suspects will use these numbers to label the program a 'failure.'

NO, I did not. In fact, the wording of the headline to the OP is still very correct.

16,017 applicants
37 positive tests.

I even apologized for the one oversight, but you are too much of a dickhead to even realize that.

:lol:

next time, I will just tell you to go fuck off.

Hell, why wait until next time?

Go fuck off.

:D

Oh, my bad if i misinterpreted the post. I guess it could be seen as a success that so few tested positive. It could mean the program has encouraged less drug use. But i can assure you, the usual suspects will use these numbers to label the program a 'failure.'

The bottom line is that the costs for testing, if they are really this low, make it financially worth it to test for drug users, for I am indeed in agreement with Conservatives that drug users should not be eligible for welfare.

Only, they are too busy screaming really loud to even realize what I wrote.

So those drug test cheating kits really DO work....

No, they don't, but it's not hard to pass a piss test. Your best bet is to have somebody you know is clean piss in a small bottle, and hide it in your sock when you go in to take the test. Make sure the urine stays within the range of 91-95 degrees, because they will check the temperature. Also, pour some of the clean piss into the toilet. There's a reason they tell you not to flush the toilet when you take a piss test. I know these things because... a... friend... has had to do it before. :eusa_shifty:

The bottom line is that the costs for testing, if they are really this low, make it financially worth it to test for drug users, for I am indeed in agreement with Conservatives that drug users should not be eligible for welfare.

Only, they are too busy screaming really loud to even realize what I wrote.

I hear ya. The low positive test numbers could be an indication the program is encouraging less drug use. I mean, do you want the Freebies or not? If you want em, there will be requirements that must be met. But the cost of the testing does have to be factored in. It needs to be cost-effective. The Taxpayers deserve that.

Just curious here. Did they also round up all the illegal immigrants in the state and test them? What about all the social workers?

You really didn't understand the OP, now did you....
Yes, I understood. What part of it do you think I didn't understand? What did I miss?

You quite obviously did not understand it. The testing system in TN is for all who are applying for welfare. What that is supposed to have to do with illegal immigrants is a mystery to me.
Oh, I understood it completely. I read it. I comprehend what I read, thank you. Yes, they tested welfare folks, I read that. But, my question is, "why did they single out the needy, the poor, and the less fortunate? And, what about the illegal immigrants that are being cared for and supported by tax dollars? Hey, why didn't they test everyone in the state that gets a state paycheck? Do you see anything wrong with the picture? Do you see any signs of prejudice?

No, they don't, but it's not hard to pass a piss test. Your best bet is to have somebody you know is clean piss in a small bottle, and hide it in your sock when you go in to take the test. Make sure the urine stays within the range of 91-95 degrees, because they will check the temperature. Also, pour some of the clean piss into the toilet. There's a reason they tell you not to flush the toilet when you take a piss test. I know these things because... a... friend... has had to do it before. :eusa_shifty:

Yup, some people will do almost anything to get a Freebie. That's why i'm ok with giving em tougher requirements.

Crack head...just don't smoke it for a day or two. Coke head...same thing, you only need to keep your nose clean for a day. Meth, probably the preferred drug of the white welfare recipient only 2 - 3 days in the system.

Now pot...can be found up to 6 months...but cheap tests are easily fooled with a pill or fake urine.

Testing is a waste of time and money. The industry to beat drug tests is just as big as the drug testing industry. And it wouldn't surprise me if one could purchase cleansing products with their welfare checks. Of course, they could start using much more expensive tests and catch it all...but that would be cost prohibitive.

Yup, some people will do almost anything to get a Freebie. That's why i'm ok with giving em tougher requirements.

Most people cheating drug tests are doing it to get a job. That's why I... um... my friend did it. A less harmful drug like weed can stay in your system for about 30 days, while drugs like coke and meth can stay in your system for about a week. The people who are most negatively effected by drug tests are those doing the least dangerous drug. The fact that they are so easy to pass anyways makes them a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

Crack head...just don't smoke it for a day or two. Coke head...same thing, you only need to keep your nose clean for a day. Meth, probably the preferred drug of the white welfare recipient only 2 - 3 days in the system.

Now pot...can be found up to 6 months...but cheap tests are easily fooled with a pill or fake urine.

Testing is a waste of time and money. The industry to beat drug tests is just as big as the drug testing industry. And it wouldn't surprise me if one could purchase cleansing products with their welfare checks. Of course, they could start using much more expensive tests and catch it all...but that would be cost prohibitive.

Damn. You beat my post by about two minutes, and I was saying almost the exact same thing. :thup:

Most people cheating drug tests are doing it to get a job. That's why I... um... my friend did it. A less harmful drug like weed can stay in your system for about 30 days, while drugs like coke and meth can stay in your system for about a week. The people who are most negatively effected by drug tests are those doing the least dangerous drug. The fact that they are so easy to pass anyways makes them a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

I'm perfectly fine with legalizing Marijuana. There's no logical reason to lock someone in a cage for smoking some ganja. Just legalize it and be done with it. And i am somewhat opposed to drug testing for most jobs. It is a big privacy concern. Corporations shouldn't have so much control of employees or possible employees' personal lives.

Yep..you can even buy fake urine...it comes with a thermometer to ensure it is at the correct temperature.

Forum List

Back