TN Welfare applicants drug tests: 37 out of 16,017 positive (0.2%)

Once again the far left drones do not represent all the facts..

279 drug tests were administered

37 drug tests were positive

37 out of 279 is the true number, but this far left drone will once again show their religious dogma rules over reality..

I stand corrected. You are indeed right. I didn't see the end notes. That is then 11%, a higher figure indeed.

However, without having tested all 16,017 applicants, we will never know how many really would have tested positive. We also don't know what kind of profiling they used to decide to only test these 297. So, the figure is probably still quite low.

Thank you for catching my error, it was not intentional.
The System has only been in place for a brief time. So it's too early to brand it a 'failure.' The OP is likely just expressing wishful thinking. He or she desperately hopes it fails. But hey, 37 less Moocher Democrats on the dole could be seen by others as a success. Depends on perspective i guess.

So, you didn't read all of the OP, what? I actually wrote that I am not against the testing at all.

Oh, my bad if i misinterpreted the post. I guess it could be seen as a success that so few tested positive. It could mean the program has encouraged less drug use. But i can assure you, the usual suspects will use these numbers to label the program a 'failure.'

The bottom line is that the costs for testing, if they are really this low, make it financially worth it to test for drug users, for I am indeed in agreement with Conservatives that drug users should not be eligible for welfare.

Only, they are too busy screaming really loud to even realize what I wrote.

I hear ya. The low positive test numbers could be an indication the program is encouraging less drug use. I mean, do you want the Freebies or not? If you want em, there will be requirements that must be met. But the cost of the testing does have to be factored in. It needs to be cost-effective. The Taxpayers deserve that.

Yepp, that's pretty much what I meant.

So those drug test cheating kits really DO work....

No, they don't, but it's not hard to pass a piss test. Your best bet is to have somebody you know is clean piss in a small bottle, and hide it in your sock when you go in to take the test. Make sure the urine stays within the range of 91-95 degrees, because they will check the temperature. Also, pour some of the clean piss into the toilet. There's a reason they tell you not to flush the toilet when you take a piss test. I know these things because... a... friend... has had to do it before. :eusa_shifty:

Yup, some people will do almost anything to get a Freebie. That's why i'm ok with giving em tougher requirements.

Most people cheating drug tests are doing it to get a job. That's why I... um... my friend did it. A less harmful drug like weed can stay in your system for about 30 days, while drugs like coke and meth can stay in your system for about a week. The people who are most negatively effected by drug tests are those doing the least dangerous drug. The fact that they are so easy to pass anyways makes them a waste of time and money, in my opinion.
Yep..you can even buy fake urine...it comes with a thermometer to ensure it is at the correct temperature.
You can even buy a fake dick to "piss" the fake urine through.

Drug testing of welfare applicants yields few positives

Six months after the rollout of a controversial law to drug-test people applying for public benefits, only a small fraction of low-income Tennesseans seeking financial assistance have tested positive for illegal drugs.

Thirty-seven of 16,017 applicants for the Families First cash assistance program between July and December tested positive for illegal substances, according to the Department of Human Services.

Another 81 lost their chance to receive benefits because they discontinued the application process at some point between the time they were required to fill out a three-item drug screening questionnaire and completing their application....

...In the first six months of the program, the state spent $5,295 to administer the program, including $4,215 to pay for the drug tests.

So much for the RW meme that all welfare recepients are on drugs.

On the other side, the cost of the testing program is really not very expensive, so assuming $1,000 per month in welfare, with 37 less people, that means $37,000 saved, minus $9,500 for the drug testing = $27,500 saved. Statistically, the drug tests are worth doing.

A waste of money!!! Just like us liberals said. We were right again. As usual.

No, they don't, but it's not hard to pass a piss test. Your best bet is to have somebody you know is clean piss in a small bottle, and hide it in your sock when you go in to take the test. Make sure the urine stays within the range of 91-95 degrees, because they will check the temperature. Also, pour some of the clean piss into the toilet. There's a reason they tell you not to flush the toilet when you take a piss test. I know these things because... a... friend... has had to do it before. :eusa_shifty:

Yup, some people will do almost anything to get a Freebie. That's why i'm ok with giving em tougher requirements.

Most people cheating drug tests are doing it to get a job. That's why I... um... my friend did it. A less harmful drug like weed can stay in your system for about 30 days, while drugs like coke and meth can stay in your system for about a week. The people who are most negatively effected by drug tests are those doing the least dangerous drug. The fact that they are so easy to pass anyways makes them a waste of time and money, in my opinion.

I'm perfectly fine with legalizing Marijuana. There's no logical reason to lock someone in a cage for smoking some ganja. Just legalize it and be done with it. And i am somewhat opposed to drug testing for most jobs. It is a big privacy concern. Corporations shouldn't have so much control of employees or possible employees' personal lives.

So would you want a truck driver smoking and driving? How the pilot of a super tanker filled with OIL? How about people building your house?

Six months after the rollout of a controversial law to drug-test people applying for public benefits, only a small fraction of low-income Tennesseans seeking financial assistance have tested positive for illegal drugs.

Thirty-seven of 16,017 applicants for the Families First cash assistance program between July and December tested positive for illegal substances, according to the Department of Human Services.

Another 81 lost their chance to receive benefits because they discontinued the application process at some point between the time they were required to fill out a three-item drug screening questionnaire and completing their application....

...In the first six months of the program, the state spent $5,295 to administer the program, including $4,215 to pay for the drug tests.

On the other side, the cost of the testing program is really not very expensive, so assuming $1,000 per month in welfare, with 37 less people, that means $37,000 saved, minus $9,500 for the drug testing = $27,500 saved. Statistically, the drug tests are worth doing.

Oh I didn't see that part that they are worth doing. Sweet! Then do them. I thought it wouldn't add up to any savings at all and the cost would outweigh doing them. LOL

37 out of 279 is the true number, but this far left drone will once again show their religious dogma rules over reality..

I stand corrected. You are indeed right. I didn't see the end notes. That is then 11%, a higher figure indeed.

However, without having tested all 16,017 applicants, we will never know how many really would have tested positive. We also don't know what kind of profiling they used to decide to only test these 297. So, the figure is probably still quite low.

The System has only been in place for a brief time. So it's too early to brand it a 'failure.' The OP is likely just expressing wishful thinking. He or she desperately hopes it fails. But hey, 37 less Moocher Democrats on the dole could be seen by others as a success. Depends on perspective i guess.

So, you didn't read all of the OP, what? I actually wrote that I am not against the testing at all.

No you misrepresent the facts and spewed the far left drone propaganda..

Just curious here. Did they also round up all the illegal immigrants in the state and test them? What about all the social workers?

You really didn't understand the OP, now did you....
Yes, I understood. What part of it do you think I didn't understand? What did I miss?

You quite obviously did not understand it. The testing system in TN is for all who are applying for welfare. What that is supposed to have to do with illegal immigrants is a mystery to me.
Oh, I understood it completely. I read it. I comprehend what I read, thank you. Yes, they tested welfare folks, I read that. But, my question is, "why did they single out the needy, the poor, and the less fortunate? And, what about the illegal immigrants that are being cared for and supported by tax dollars? Hey, why didn't they test everyone in the state that gets a state paycheck? Do you see anything wrong with the picture? Do you see any signs of prejudice?

Well, let's think about this.

Without EXACT bios of the people who were tested, then there is no way any sane person can answer that question, n'est ce pas?

This is about applicants for welfare in TN. Whether they are illegal immigrants receiving welfare, only the testers in TN can answer that question.

Get it?

I'm perfectly fine with legalizing Marijuana. There's no logical reason to lock someone in a cage for smoking some ganja. Just legalize it and be done with it. And i am somewhat opposed to drug testing for most jobs. It is a big privacy concern. Corporations shouldn't have so much control of employees or possible employees' personal lives.

So would you want a truck driver smoking and driving? How the pilot of a super tanker filled with OIL? How about people building your house?

I can smoke pot and do anything. Been smoking it for years though. Just relaxes me. I love smoking pot and driving to Florida from Michigan.

Yep..you can even buy fake urine...it comes with a thermometer to ensure it is at the correct temperature.
Sounds funny...but very true. Of course, the process depends on the state and its laws. The state I live in, they allow you to shut the door and you don't have to empty your pockets (for employment). When I lived in KY, you had to empty your pockets, leave the door open and you couldn't flush.

You do realize marijuana only lasts for a short period of time, right? It is possible to smoke after work.

Holy hell...just how dumb are you people?
About 1/2 second of reading the OP I knew something had to be wrong.
No way, no how did they drug test every freaking welfare recipient in an entire state!!
HELLOOO!!!!!!!!!!
You just have to love it when the dumb sheep of the day makes a fool out of themselves.

I said 'most jobs.' And legalizing Marijuana wouldn't = approving of DUI. A person would still be held accountable for obeying traffic laws. Driving high would be subject to prosecution the same as driving drunk is.

I would rather them smoke some pot than take a bump of coke. The pot...it stays in the system...coke, they can do a line or 10...and it will be out of their system before they are tested.

How much did the drug testing kit and personnel conducting them cost is what I wanna know. :) While notr a deficit hawk or whatever, if you only catch 37 fish saving say 37 grand, but catching the 37 cost you more than 37 grand, it's not worth doing again. :)

How is it even legal to require welfar recipiants to submit such a test? Isn't there a Constitution or something that mentions self-incrimination forbidding that sort of thing?

Sounds funny...but very true. Of course, the process depends on the state and its laws. The state I live in, they allow you to shut the door and you don't have to empty your pockets (for employment). When I lived in KY, you had to empty your pockets, leave the door open and you couldn't flush.

I was watching a thing on Colorado's new recreational pot law. Do companies in Colorado still drug test? Then basically it is still illegal in a way IMO. If it will stop you from getting a job or could get you fired from your job, that sucks. It should be if you have a medical card you can piss positive and still get the job. Of course not if you are a surgeon or trucker. I get why some jobs they demand no drug use. But Walmart shelf stocker?

Did you see the SNL skit where they made it legal to possess small amounts of pot and everyone crawled out of their dark homes blinded by the sun and they were just about to light up and the cop says, "you know I'll have to arrest or ticket you if you smoke that in public, right?" and everyone crawled back into their homes. LOL.

How is it even legal to require welfar recipiants to submit such a test? Isn't there a Constitution or something that mentions self-incrimination forbidding that sort of thing?

If you want the help piss in the cup. If you want your rights go get a job.

You don't have to take the test. You just won't get the $.

How much did the drug testing kit and personnel conducting them cost is what I wanna know. :) While notr a deficit hawk or whatever, if you only catch 37 fish saving say 37 grand, but catching the 37 cost you more than 37 grand, it's not worth doing again. :)

Uhhh, the cost analysis is also at the bottom of the OP.......

I was watching a thing on Colorado's new recreational pot law. Do companies in Colorado still drug test? Then basically it is still illegal in a way IMO. If it will stop you from getting a job or could get you fired from your job, that sucks. It should be if you have a medical card you can piss positive and still get the job. Of course not if you are a surgeon or trucker. I get why some jobs they demand no drug use. But Walmart shelf stocker?

Did you see the SNL skit where they made it legal to possess small amounts of pot and everyone crawled out of their dark homes blinded by the sun and they were just about to light up and the cop says, "you know I'll have to arrest or ticket you if you smoke that in public, right?" and everyone crawled back into their homes. LOL.
LOL...I rarely watch SNL...but I saw that skit!

No you misrepresent the facts and spewed the far left drone propaganda..
Just curious here. Did they also round up all the illegal immigrants in the state and test them? What about all the social workers?

You really didn't understand the OP, now did you....
Yes, I understood. What part of it do you think I didn't understand? What did I miss?

You quite obviously did not understand it. The testing system in TN is for all who are applying for welfare. What that is supposed to have to do with illegal immigrants is a mystery to me.
Oh, I understood it completely. I read it. I comprehend what I read, thank you. Yes, they tested welfare folks, I read that. But, my question is, "why did they single out the needy, the poor, and the less fortunate? And, what about the illegal immigrants that are being cared for and supported by tax dollars? Hey, why didn't they test everyone in the state that gets a state paycheck? Do you see anything wrong with the picture? Do you see any signs of prejudice?

Well, let's think about this.

Without EXACT bios of the people who were tested, then there is no way any sane person can answer that question, n'est ce pas?

This is about applicants for welfare in TN. Whether they are illegal immigrants receiving welfare, only the testers in TN can answer that question.

Get it?
Oh yes, I do "get it", loud and clear. It's a shame that they single out those that they think may be buying illegal drugs and collecting welfare at the same time. A lot of prejudice going on in that state. I guess those folks think that only the poor and needy are using illegal drugs. And, my guess is that they are doing it because it involves taxpayers' hard earn dollars. I wonder where they think the money comes from to pay city, county, and state workers. And what money is used to pay those giving the test? It's an injustice to single out the poor, the needy, and the less fortunate that depend on government assistance programs to survive. The state should be ashamed and embarrassed to let the word get out about what they're doing.

Forum List

Back