Zone1 Three Temptations

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
Jesus did not teach nations how to behave, he focused on individual behavior. In listening to today's Gospel reading about the temptations Jesus overcame before he came out to lead individuals, is it possible national governments overcame these same temptations, the world might be better off?

1. Supply the people with free bread. Jesus concluded people are better off being fed the word of God.

2. (This one was harder, so suggestions are welcome). Entertainment. Entertain the people with spectacular events. Jesus' response to this was to not test God. The problem here is trying to relate how entertainment tests God.)

3. Having the power and wealth to rule over many nations, even the entire world. The response: Worship God alone and national pride should not infringe upon our worship. Should countries be smaller and more humble?

What say you? Could/should nations resist these temptations, and if they did, would the world be more like the kingdom of heaven?

Entertain the people with spectacular events.
All you have to do is open your eyes in the morning. Look around you. God has gifted you with the most spectacular events known. The universe is unfolded around you. The world is a beautiful and unquestionably the most spectacular place. How can you be so ungrateful. Thank the Lord for these blessings and ask his forgiveness everyday. It is the most we can rightfully ask for.

All you have to do is open your eyes in the morning. Look around you. God has gifted you with the most spectacular events known. The universe is unfolded around you. The world is a beautiful and unquestionably the most spectacular place. How can you be so ungrateful. Thank the Lord for these blessings and ask his forgiveness everyday. It is the most we can rightfully ask for.
I like this! The best entertainment ever is God's own creation.

Jesus did not teach nations how to behave, he focused on individual behavior. In listening to today's Gospel reading about the temptations Jesus overcame before he came out to lead individuals, is it possible national governments overcame these same temptations, the world might be better off?

1. Supply the people with free bread. Jesus concluded people are better off being fed the word of God.

2. (This one was harder, so suggestions are welcome). Entertainment. Entertain the people with spectacular events. Jesus' response to this was to not test God. The problem here is trying to relate how entertainment tests God.)

3. Having the power and wealth to rule over many nations, even the entire world. The response: Worship God alone and national pride should not infringe upon our worship. Should countries be smaller and more humble?

What say you? Could/should nations resist these temptations, and if they did, would the world be more like the kingdom of heaven?
I'm going to let this one ripen on the tree for a while before I join in my friend. That is, if it survives for long.

In listening to today's Gospel reading about the temptations Jesus overcame before he came out to lead individuals

nothing could be further from the truth -

those of the 1st century in attendance were who provided the means for their future endeavors to fulfill the heavenly religion of self determination through liberation theology. the real jesus was among them ...

not one would be cattled by the false worship of a messiah to do for them what they truly knew was meant for them to accomplish themselves to free their spirits for judgement and admission to the everlasting.

gov'ts are no different.

Jesus didn't just supply people with bread. He threw in enough fish till they couldn't eat it all. He didn't hold back on the wine either. Paaaarrrteee

I guess the three temptations were OK, but the Four Tops were better.

Bread is food, food is life. You can't eat the word of god.
Depends on what the definition of "entertainment" is here. Are you talking about reading poetry? Drawing? Painting? Sculpting? Plays?
Or are you talking about sex clubs, strip joints, slanderous and belittling rap "music" kind of thing?

Depends on who is doing the ruling, and if they are mentally and physically fit enough to handle such a huge, demanding position without turning into a megalomaniac.

Word of God vs free food=no contest. Feed the people.
Then talk about God..if you must~
The greater majority...is free food good for the soul? Or, does it make people lazy? Before the Fall of Rome, that government was dishing out free food as a way to placate the people. Is it good for people to be placated, or is it better for them to have the confidence of knowing they can take care of themselves and their loved ones?

Depends on what the definition of "entertainment" is here. Are you talking about reading poetry? Drawing? Painting? Sculpting? Plays?
Or are you talking about sex clubs, strip joints, slanderous and belittling rap "music" kind of thing?
I was trying to tie it in with what Jesus said about not testing God. I like what Concerned American said about God providing us with a planet...and each other, for that matter. I remember my grandparents talking about the days even before radio was common. People would stroll around or sit on their front porches in the evening, talking with those they that came by. Radio made a dent in that activity, with TV removing it entirely.

If your kids are hungry, it doesn't matter.
Why aren't we able to provide for our children? By the way, I am talking about the great majority of people. Do we make it too easy for those who can provide but don't or won't provide? If they had to provide for themselves, would they be happier?

Depends on who is doing the ruling, and if they are mentally and physically fit enough to handle such a huge, demanding position without turning into a megalomaniac.
President Putin came to mind as I was thinking about this one. He wants to expand his empire. Would it be better for people if he did this, or if he left the smaller countries to themselves?

If someone is drowning, is it better for someone to yell about how he should have learned to swim, or to actually help him?
We are at cross purposes here. I am speaking of people who, if left alone, could provide for themselves, or would provide for themselves it they had to. Is it better to have confidence that we can take care of ourselves and our loved ones, or is it better to go around wrapping people bubble wrap. Would you rather take care of yourself, or would you rather someone else take care of you?

Why aren't we able to provide for our children? By the way, I am talking about the great majority of people. Do we make it too easy for those who can provide but don't or won't provide? If they had to provide for themselves, would they be happier?
Do you believe the only reason for hunger in the US is laziness? I've been broke, and desperately looking for a job, back when regan killed the unions. Of course it would have been better if I had a good paying job, but I didn't, and my family still had to eat.

We are at cross purposes here. I am speaking of people who, if left alone, could provide for themselves, or would provide for themselves it they had to. Is it better to have confidence that we can take care of ourselves and our loved ones, or is it better to go around wrapping people bubble wrap. Would you rather take care of yourself, or would you rather someone else take care of you?
"Feed a man a fish and he will eat for one day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

If someone is drowning, is it better for someone to yell about how he should have learned to swim, or to actually help him?
Sure, but if the numbers of drowning people are ever increasing then that's not the problem, and can't be the solution to the problem.

Forum List

Back