Thoughts on Homeschooling?

Home schooling is a great idea if you don't want your children to be more educated than you are. That being said, people should have the right to make that decision, no matter how much I disagree with it.
That's bogus. There are online curricula that enable even a poorly educated parent to give a child an excellent education.

The online curricula can't make anyone a good teacher, and they are only optional anyway. If the parent doesn't want to bother with educating his child, he doesn't have to.
There's nothing forcing a home schooled child to get a good education at home, any more than there is anything to force a kid to get a good education in a government school. It's more likely, though, that a child will get a quality education at home, given the sad state of government schools today.

That's nuts.

Home schooling is a great idea if you don't want your children to be more educated than you are. That being said, people should have the right to make that decision, no matter how much I disagree with it.
That's bogus. There are online curricula that enable even a poorly educated parent to give a child an excellent education.

The online curricula can't make anyone a good teacher, and they are only optional anyway. If the parent doesn't want to bother with educating his child, he doesn't have to.
There's nothing forcing a home schooled child to get a good education at home, any more than there is anything to force a kid to get a good education in a government school. It's more likely, though, that a child will get a quality education at home, given the sad state of government schools today.

That's nuts.
The facts disagree with you. Home schooled kids on average outperform government schooled kids. It's just reality. That's most likely due to the fact that parents who put in the effort to homeschool make sure their kids actually learn.

That's nuts.
The facts disagree with you. Home schooled kids on average outperform government schooled kids. It's just reality. That's most likely due to the fact that parents who put in the effort to homeschool make sure their kids actually learn.

There is no real reason to believe that. I will admit that the few who actually teach their kids who go on to take standardized tests perform well. However, there is no reason to believe that is the case for the large amount who never intend to pursue secondary education, and never take standardize tests.

That's nuts.

There is no real reason to believe that. I will admit that the few who actually teach their kids who go on to take standardized tests perform well. However, there is no reason to believe that is the case for the large amount who never intend to pursue secondary education, and never take standardize tests.
Do you have actual statistics to back up the "large amount who never intend to pursue secondary education, and never take standardize tests"? Look, it takes a lot of work to homeschool a child, and parents who put in that work are already predisposed to take an intense interest in their child's education, thus leading to better results. Government schools, OTOH, foster the idea that parents can send their kids off in the morning and get them back in the afternoon, little or no effort required. The results speak for themselves, and I'd like to see your stats on this vast army of people who don't intend to educate their children. I say you will find a relative handful of extremist cases, not many.

That's nuts.

Do you have actual statistics to back up the "large amount who never intend to pursue secondary education, and never take standardize tests"? Look, it takes a lot of work to homeschool a child, and parents who put in that work are already predisposed to take an intense interest in their child's education, thus leading to better results. Government schools, OTOH, foster the idea that parents can send their kids off in the morning and get them back in the afternoon, little or no effort required. The results speak for themselves, and I'd like to see your stats on this vast army of people who don't intend to educate their children. I say you will find a relative handful of extremist cases, not many.

Sure.Some parents do a wonderful job of educating their kids. They have my respect and support. However, there is no reason to believe they all do, or that even most do. I have personal knowledge of several who didn't. Do you really think all home school parents care to, or are even capable of giving an education, much less a good one?

That's nuts.

98% of my public high school graduating class went to college. The other 2% were pregnant.

And as for your assertion that home schooled kids outperform public education kids:
LINK, PLEASE.

The only kid in my family who did not go to public school was my youngest nephew. He now works on an auto assembly line.

That's nuts.

Sure.Some parents do a wonderful job of educating their kids. They have my respect and support. However, there is no reason to believe they all do, or that even most do. I have personal knowledge of several who didn't. Do you really think all home school parents care to, or are even capable of giving an education, much less a good one?
I don't say all, I say most. I would like to see evidence of this vast army of parents who intend to not educate their children. I just don't believe it exists.

That's nuts.

I don't say all, I say most. I would like to see evidence of this vast army of parents who intend to not educate their children. I just don't believe it exists.

Since there is no requirement for any kind of testing, it's impossible to know how many there are.

For all the RWnuts around here who think they can prove a point with one example (yes I'm looking at you PolitcalChic)

Adam Lanza was homeschooled.
He should have been in the nuthatch. He was homeschooled because he was insane, not insane because he was homeschooled.

lol, sure.

And this guy?

Home-schooled Texas teen accused of killing strict parents who wouldn't let him watch violent movies: report
A 16-year-old Texas teen has been charged with two counts of murder for the shooting deaths of his parents, Ryan and Maria Callens. Neighbors and friends in the Frisco community say that the parents subjected the teen to strict rules at home.

16-year-old son accused of killing parents inside Texas home

And my all time favorite (so far)

Homeschooled kid murders parents of his homeschooled girlfriend. that's almost poetic!

Teen admits to killing girlfriend's parents, gets life sentence

USATODAY.com - Teen admits to killing girlfriend's parents, gets life sentence

lolol, he meets his 14 year old girlfriend in A SUPPORT GROUP FOR HOMESCHOOLED KIDS.
Teaching us about anecdotal evidence N stuff lolol

We've been home schooling my daughter for now. We want her to actually have an education.

She socialized quite well too. Been teaching her with her cousins. When she is ready for more advanced education she will be in classes though hopefully by then we can look at private school and not public education.

We've been home schooling my daughter for now. We want her to actually have an education.

She socialized quite well too. Been teaching her with her cousins. When she is ready for more advanced education she will be in classes though hopefully by then we can look at private school and not public education.
don't forget charter schools! We had an amazing four years in a charter school. It took the regular school two years to dumb my kids down to their level, after we moved.

That's nuts.

98% of my public high school graduating class went to college. The other 2% were pregnant.

And as for your assertion that home schooled kids outperform public education kids:
LINK, PLEASE.

The only kid in my family who did not go to public school was my youngest nephew. He now works on an auto assembly line.

That's nuts.

Apples and oranges.

When I was in elementary I got kicked out of the private school twice then three times when I was in high school also private school. That includes fist fight with male teachers. All because of bullying. I'm not proud of it I regret it and I wish there is a way I can go back and fix it. This probably will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Being said. Last time I got kicked out AGAIN when I was in junior high in early February. Public school was not an option. So my parents hired 2 private teachers one is mid 50s and 35 years old both child psychologist an felt like I have 3 mothers at home. I was home schooled for approximately 4 months. First week I was miserable because I missed my friends and socializing. Since some my friends live close by they came to my house and play with me after school. Then it became routine, we play little basketball, tennis or swimming that they do their homework with me at the same time. During weekend both Saturday and Sunday I played adult (b/c of my size ) basketball tournament. IME being home schooled did not have any problem socializing but my grades are better and learned how to respect others. That was in LaJolla San Diego. Because of unavoidable circumstances I finished my high school in Miami close to my other house in Key Biscayne. Surprisingly I graduated without getting in trouble.

On the side. I did have a sexual relationship with my 35 years old teacher and the reason why I moved and finished my HS in Miami. I was 16 at that time but this is the wrong location to post.. When I have time I will post this in....Do you consider this child sex abuse? by Bonzi.
You're bonzi????

I'm looking to talk about this here before I take the discussion to FB with family, friends, and coworkers.

The more I think about homeschooling, the more it angers me.

Having actually been homeschooled, I know and understand it more than anyone against it who hasn't been homeschooled. The real problem isn't a matter of academic quality—my grades were superior to those students my age in the local public school.

No, the real problem is the lack of socialization public schooling gives you. I don't care if it means you get beaten up, or try weed, or have underage sex, or other things like that in public school—you need to be immersed among hundreds of other kids your age when you're young. That socialization is so damned important!

I do very well on the academic front, but homeschooling—especially when it's of a religious nature—can lead to isolation and introversion! Only as a young man in my later twenties, being immersed in a highly social and competitive field working in a hospital, do I now feel more and more social, and crave that constant human interaction and fear less the thought of sharing parts of my soul openly with others.

What I am right now is angry. Feeling it right now. I didn't get much of a choice being homeschooled. Being young, having ADHD, I got savagely bullied and beat. The limp-wristed school officials who were too scared to do anything about those fuckers did nothing! Didn't matter that they took wet, rolled up towels and used them to whip gashes into my skin for fun—this was when I was a kid in swim class. So my social well-being was sacrificed so I could be safe—because those school officials did NOTHING—and I did get better grades which became very useful when college came around.

Still, I am an introvert because of homeschooling. Being an introvert in and of itself is not bad—I know a lot of fairly fucking stupid extroverts. It's just that being around a lot of people your age when you're young is really important. They just need to get their act together to clean up the scum in the public school system.

I don't know what should be done about homeschooling. Those kids NEED to be socializing a lot. It's incredibly important. More than a few religious folk homeschool their kids, and some of those folk don't think too much about the vital need to socialize.

I want to know if there's anyone else here who came from a similar background to mine. I want you to tell me—from the bottom of you heart—how wrong or right you believe I am. I won't bite—I'll respect your opinion. Just, please, level with me here to help me understand this better and try to get over my emotions on this.

I think education is more than just grades.

I understand why some people do it, the US education system isn't the best and doesn't necessarily prepare kids for the future like it should. But still, I agree with you that socializing is an important factor in school.

The worst bullying I've seen is bullies who go around calling other people bullies in order to get them in trouble. And it works.

That's the exception to the rule, though.

There are vicious kids out there who bully others out of cowardice and malice.

No, it's not the exception. It happens A LOT. The whole anti-bullying thing is just an excuse for teachers to shove their pro-homo agenda upon our kids. And if they or we object, then we're "bullies". It's the partner to hate speech legislation.

Do you hear yourself right now?

Don't be one of those particular conservatives who condone bullying.

What you're doing is giving those specific liberals ammo, by wrongly brushing off the anti-bullying movement as a pro-homosexual agenda, or whatever you called it.

Bullying, when it happens to anyone, is wrong. It's wrong when it happens to gay kids, and it's wrong when it happens to straight kids. It's wrong when it happens to any kids.
Learning how to deal with bullies and stand up for yourself is a necessary part of growing up so you don't grow up to be a cupcake.

And teaching kids to be hyper sensitive to *bullying* just creates an environment of snitching, and of setting other kids up to be "bullies".

My daughter was friends with a girl who would send other girls out to ask leading questions...things like "Do you like the way so and so's braces look?" or "Do you like so and so?" and when my daughter would answer, they would IMMEDIATELY run back and tell the girl. The girl would then confront my daughter about "talking behind my back"... which would lead to my girl getting pissed off, whereupon the other girl would run and tell everybody that my daughter was bullying her.

Another classic instance...at one of the after school programs there was an older girl who was a volunteer. She claimed to be a Satanist or something, was quite up front about it and everybody knew it. My daughter asked her if she was a Satanist. The girl ran to the teacher, said the question made her uncomfortable, and they accused my daughter of "bullying" though she was 3 years younger and about a hundred pounds smaller than the middle school girl.

I've seen girls who follow other girls around, seeking them out, messing with them, and then turning around and accusing the girl THEY'RE FOLLOWING AROUND of "bullying".

And that's all they have to say, and immediately the person who makes the claim is a victim, and the one that's accused is a problem.

If one person gets accused of bullying by several different kids in several different situations.......guess what.

Forum List

Back