Thought Provoking Sports Question of the Day

Anonymous519

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
“What is the one single greatest play in Major League Baseball History?”

The first one that comes to mind is the “Say Hey Kid” Will Mays. It came in the first game of the 1954 World Series off the bat of Vic Wertz. Perhaps the greatest fly ball catch in history.

As a lifelong Pirates fan of course there is this:

The first one that comes to mind is the “Say Hey Kid” Will Mays. It came in the first game of the 1954 World Series off the bat of Vic Wertz. Perhaps the greatest fly ball catch in history.

I'll never understand why that catch gets so much attention. Mays went back and got the ball. That's what he's SUPPOSED to do.

Here's a WAY more impressive catch.

But again it's always wrongheaded to even attempt to name a "single greatest play in whatever sport".
To to so ignores contexts. There can be no "single". Except when a batter safely reaches first.

I'll never understand why that catch gets so much attention. Mays went back and got the ball. That's what he's SUPPOSED to do.

But again it's always wrongheaded to even attempt to name a "single greatest play in whatever sport".
To to so ignores contexts. There can be no "single". Except when a batter safely reaches first.

Well said! I think Mays’ catch is because he had to run so far but you are right there can’t be just one single play there have been too many.

Well said! I think Mays’ catch is because he had to run so far but you are right there can’t be just one single play there have been too many.

Yes, context. For instance the Maz HR wasn't unusual in itself, but for its timing, not for how it was executed.

As far as the outfield catches, if Willie's catch was so outstanding how come the runner was able to advance? I think Revere had to go farther and then that leaping lunge through the air...

Forum List

Back