This is actual common sense gun control….that actually targets criminals, and not normal gun owners.

This is a great idea……increase the penalties for someone who steals a gun…the guy at Extranosalley suggests 5 years per gun no parole….perfect….I completely support this idea….steal 3 guns, 15 years no parole…..see how soon thugs stop stealing or spend more time in the clink…

There Is A Bill That Needs An Urgent Push | Extrano's Alley, more than a gun blog

he Dover, New Hampshire Democrat reports two New Hampshire lawmakers want to increase the penalty for the theft of a firearm.

Given that stolen guns enable some 360,000 gun related crimes a year, the usual “petty larceny” penalties for stealing a collection is woefully inadequate. My personal suggestion is five years per gun, with no probation or parole, ever. If someone steals three guns fifteen years is a moderate penalty compared to the potential lifetime criminal misuse of a gun will sentence a law abiding citizen to.

To the linked news story…..

N.H. bill would up punishment for stealing guns in burglary

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Two New Hampshire lawmakers are co-sponsoring a bill that makes the theft of a gun during a burglary a more serious crime with more jail time.The bill from Republican Al Baldasaro of Londonderry and Democrat Katherine Rogers of Concord would add "theft of a gun" to a list of crimes considered the worst of burglaries.It raises the punishment from a Class B felony to a Class A felony, which means convicts face an additional 20 years in jail for the theft. They say the approach is consistent with other New Hampshire laws that carry stiffer penalties for crimes committed when a gun is involved.The bill will be heard by the House Criminal Justice Committee on at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Legislative Office Building.

How much do you want to bet anti gunners will fight this…..?
You keep proposing the magical solution of putting these guys in jail for long sentences. I wouldn't disagree except then I have to pay to feed and house these assholes for however many years. Where have you been, 2AGuy? states and the feds are looking at releasing non-violent offenders because they can't afford it anymore. If incarceration was actually an effective deterrent, the US wouldn't have more citizens incarcerated than any other nation in the world. We're doing something wrong already. Let's not make it wrong-er!

Federal Register | Annual Determination of Average Cost of Incarceration

Which is a drop in the bucket compared to what violent crime costs the people of the USA.

New Study Shows Violence Costing America Over $460 Billion

New Study Shows Violence Costing America Over $460 Billion

Actually it is more expensive in the long run. You do realize how much it costs to keep a person incarcerated don't you?

Good, then you are volunteering to pay more in taxes for it.

Sorry but your method is going to put MORE people in jail and that means MORE money will be needed. You also falsely pair violent crime with guns. There are many types of violent crimes committed without guns.

You either put up with more taxes or shut up.

The point is EVERYONE pays less taxes in the long run when you reduce violent crime. Less people in prison means fewer taxes to pay for them (the prisons) overall. More violent felons locked up forever means fewer cops needed to investigate their crimes which means less of them and the whole system begins to shrink. That is the point.

Most violent gun crime is committed by people who have committed violent crimes before. They are a small percentage of the overall criminal population. Why is it that YOU want to see them continuously released?

Yes. But most mass shootings are committed by people with legal weapons

This is a great idea……increase the penalties for someone who steals a gun…the guy at Extranosalley suggests 5 years per gun no parole….perfect….I completely support this idea….steal 3 guns, 15 years no parole…..see how soon thugs stop stealing or spend more time in the clink…

There Is A Bill That Needs An Urgent Push | Extrano's Alley, more than a gun blog

he Dover, New Hampshire Democrat reports two New Hampshire lawmakers want to increase the penalty for the theft of a firearm.

Given that stolen guns enable some 360,000 gun related crimes a year, the usual “petty larceny” penalties for stealing a collection is woefully inadequate. My personal suggestion is five years per gun, with no probation or parole, ever. If someone steals three guns fifteen years is a moderate penalty compared to the potential lifetime criminal misuse of a gun will sentence a law abiding citizen to.

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Two New Hampshire lawmakers are co-sponsoring a bill that makes the theft of a gun during a burglary a more serious crime with more jail time.The bill from Republican Al Baldasaro of Londonderry and Democrat Katherine Rogers of Concord would add "theft of a gun" to a list of crimes considered the worst of burglaries.It raises the punishment from a Class B felony to a Class A felony, which means convicts face an additional 20 years in jail for the theft. They say the approach is consistent with other New Hampshire laws that carry stiffer penalties for crimes committed when a gun is involved.The bill will be heard by the House Criminal Justice Committee on at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Legislative Office Building.

I got a better one

You sell a gun to a criminal...YOU get 5 years no parole for each gun you sell

Dumb idea. Why is it you guys always focus on the normal, law abiding gun owner…..that is your whole focus….you really hate them don't you?

That doesn't fit the description of those who would sell a gun to a criminal.

12644657_10153881814828486_3805732040861166672_n.jpg

As long as you agree to pony up the money in taxes required to incarcerate those people in your area since our prison system is already overcrowded. Sound like a deal?

It is cheaper to keep them in jail than to have them creating carnage outside.

Actually it is more expensive in the long run. You do realize how much it costs to keep a person incarcerated don't you?

Actually, you are wrong…..they cost more when they are out victimizing people…..it costs less when they are actually in jail. And yes, I do know how much it costs and do you know how much they cost each year as they go around committing crimes?

that won't prevent anything. sentences are a specific deterrant...not a general deterrant.

I have a better idea... don't give guns to spouse and child abusers and people convicted of violent crime....or people who are crazies.

gee...how do you keep that from happening? better gun registration and keeping people like you from buying/selling guns privately

Wrong……registration….please explain how that does what you say you want. We keep waiting for at least one anti gunner to explain that. And if a criminal can get past current background checks by stealing their gun, buying from another criminal, or using someone with a clean record…..how will forcing individual sellers to get background checks stop them? Since they can simply use the same straw buyer in an individual sale that they would use at a gun store.

Do you guys ever think through your ideas?

It sounds fine to me. We really need to do more to keep people from becoming criminals in the first place though. Our jails are too full.

that won't prevent anything. sentences are a specific deterrant...not a general deterrant.

I have a better idea... don't give guns to spouse and child abusers and people convicted of violent crime....or people who are crazies.

gee...how do you keep that from happening? better gun registration and keeping people like you from buying/selling guns privately

Yes….they specifically stop the actual individual committing the crime….while all you care about is generally turning normal gun owners into criminals...

It sounds fine to me. We really need to do more to keep people from becoming criminals in the first place though. Our jails are too full.

Yeah…why don't you get right on that…..

Wrong……registration….please explain how that does what you say you want. We keep waiting for at least one anti gunner to explain that. And if a criminal can get past current background checks by stealing their gun, buying from another criminal, or using someone with a clean record…..how will forcing individual sellers to get background checks stop them? Since they can simply use the same straw buyer in an individual sale that they would use at a gun store.

I think your best anti registration argument is the cost involved....

You disagree? Other countries have less crime and fewer in jail. It can be done.

I got a better one

How does the seller know what future crime the buyer will commit?

If he was a choir boy when you sold the gun, you get off scott free

If he was a convicted criminal and you sell him a gun, you should go to jail

Agree?

No, you shouldn't…..you are not a cop, and guns are a legal product. Arrest the guy who bought the gun illegally, he is the criminal.

It is not legal to sell guns to criminals......you sold a gun to a criminal

You did the crime, you do the time
Maybe you will know better the next time (there will be no next time....you are now a convicted criminal and must give up all your guns)

Nope….you would need to do a background check…and since in order to have background checks on private sales you need to register all guns….you can't have background checks on private sales.

All you have to do…when you catch someone using gun illegally…arrest them…problem solved. If you find out someone is knowingly selling guns to criminals…set up a sting like you set up a sting for all other crimes. Again, problem solved…and you didn't have to target normal gun owners……sad for you, I know…but it actually will stop criminals...

It is also unconstitutional…...

It is also unconstitutional…...

I doubt that. Isn't it done now on a city level?

I got a better one

Dumb idea. Why is it you guys always focus on the normal, law abiding gun owner…..that is your whole focus….you really hate them don't you?

Normal, law abiding gun owners do not sell weapons to known criminals

If you do so....you are not a normal law abiding gun owner. You are a criminal

Criminals lie. Since citizens are not cops, they are not going to be held to doing criminal background checks. The criminal knows they can't own or carry the gun….arrest them. Problem solved.

But it really makes you mad to think that you can't arrest normal gun owners doesn't it….?

You disagree? Other countries have less crime and fewer in jail. It can be done.

Yeah….let's trade criminals…their criminals don't murder people as often as ours do.

Agree?

that is already the law

Good...according to the OP

5 years no parole...agree?

like laws get enforced in this country

We have 2,5 million people in prison....seems like our laws are enforced

Nope…..I have posted article after article about criminals, with felony convictions who are caught in possession of guns who are allowed to go free time after time….just a few days ago the guy had 3 felony weapon possession charges……and was still released…..

We are jailing the wrong people…..

I got a better one

Agree?

No, you shouldn't…..you are not a cop, and guns are a legal product. Arrest the guy who bought the gun illegally, he is the criminal.

It is not legal to sell guns to criminals......you sold a gun to a criminal

You did the crime, you do the time
Maybe you will know better the next time (there will be no next time....you are now a convicted criminal and must give up all your guns)

Nope….you would need to do a background check…and since in order to have background checks on private sales you need to register all guns….you can't have background checks on private sales.

All you have to do…when you catch someone using gun illegally…arrest them…problem solved. If you find out someone is knowingly selling guns to criminals…set up a sting like you set up a sting for all other crimes. Again, problem solved…and you didn't have to target normal gun owners……sad for you, I know…but it actually will stop criminals...

You meet a guy in a bar who is interested in buying the gun you are bragging about. You call the local Sheriff for a background check. If it comes back clean...you are off the hook

You meet a guy in the bar who is interested in buying your gun. You walk out to the parking lot and sell it to him. Turns out the guy is a criminal. You go to jail

Seems fair

Yeah….let's trade criminals…their criminals don't murder people as often as ours do.

It is probably harder to do when there are not guns everywhere.

You keep proposing the magical solution of putting these guys in jail for long sentences. I wouldn't disagree except then I have to pay to feed and house these assholes for however many years. Where have you been, 2AGuy? states and the feds are looking at releasing non-violent offenders because they can't afford it anymore. If incarceration was actually an effective deterrent, the US wouldn't have more citizens incarcerated than any other nation in the world. We're doing something wrong already. Let's not make it wrong-er!

Federal Register | Annual Determination of Average Cost of Incarceration

Release non violent offenders…lock up violent offenders and gun criminals. Problem solved…..any felon caught with a gun will end up using a gun to murder someone…that is how it works. So if you lock up a criminal caught in possession of a gun the first time they are caught, you save lives….

Forum List

Back