"This Dog, "Teddy" is a felon"

Beachboy

Irritated Indy Voter
Apr 8, 2013
Pacific Palisades, CA & Albuquerque, NM
After weeks of looking for the right dog, Golden Retriever Rescue sent us to meet "Teddy," and the opening words of his keeper were "this dog is a felon." So, of course my wife had to have him without even knowing what those words meant.

At 3 1/2 years Teddy has run away from home, and been brought back to his owner 13 times!!! Apparently, the kill shelter raises the price every time a dog is recovered, and Teddy had run out of luck. Fortunately, a couple with three acres adopted Teddy, unfortunately Teddy was the second Golden in the house, and the nine year old and was very territorial. Teddy got the boot after two weeks.

But, these were Golden lovers, and would not take Teddy back to the kill kennel. So, they took Teddy to the Vet and gave him a gift, a $300 laboratory work up, and called Golden Retriever Rescue. (Apparently, every breed has its own rescue). Other than a minor thyroid problem Teddy was in great physical shape, (ok, a little chunky, but Petco and the vet are working on this).

profilepic43372_5.gif

Since we had passed the interview by Golden Retriever Rescue we were to meet Teddy, AND take him home. We were his last chance. My wife, caregiver to the developmentally disabled, turned Movie Studio Ramrod, analyzed Teddy on the the way to see him. "An older pup is much like a teenager they do not run away from home without a reason, probably arguing adults. I say give Teddy the benefit of the doubt"

Teddy went crazy for my wife, Laura. The dog is an absolute gentleman. He only poops outside, and lets us know when it is time. We bought him a used/shampooed sofa of his own for the family room. Whomever puts out his food, will get a "thank you" visit later. By the third day, Teddy was left alone in the house for an hour, and did not touch a thing. By the fourth night Teddy had climbed up on our bed, and was sleeping at our feet. We are told Teddy has the intelligence of a seven year old child.

Laura has us treating Teddy for depression, and it seems to be working. Like all dogs, Teddy picks the most inconvenient place to sprawl. My wife told me not to ask him to move because it shows respect which she can turn into trust and self-confidence.

Today is day six. If Teddy runs, his microchip will bring him back. My wife asked me how I feel about Teddy, my response was simple, and very me. "Anyone hurts our dog, and they are dead."

Last edited:
Sounds like he's guilty of felony heart theft.

He's lucky to have found you.

:)

Today is day 10 with Teddy. We took him to the groomer Tuesday, and he is awfully handsome!

He seems to feel better too.As my wife and I do not plan to have children, Teddy has already filled our hearts

Teddy is a lot smarter than I ever expected. He has already figured out how to use the power windows in my Jeep! Last night he picked his vitamin out of his dinner and set it on the floor! Somehow I wonder if he knew we would give it back to him wrapped in Velvetta like he gets his Thyroid medicine! Teddy is exactly right for our quiet household.

dog-graphics-golden-retriever-437672.gif

Last edited:
We are seeking dog advice.

Today on day 10 of Teddy he acted up. My wife was walking him, he heard another dog behind a fence, and started barking. I was following behind in the Jeep with flashers on. Teddy would not move, so I got out, and he refused to move for me. He was wearing a pronged collar, and still pulled back. We are talking 103 pounds of young adult dog muscle.

Teddy is always willing to jump into the Jeep, and did so today. This was the first time the words "Bad Teddy" were spoken. We locked him out on the enclosed deck, (big punishment, it is his favorite place). After an hour we let him into the house, but we are giving him the cold shoulder now. We have decided he will not be allowed in either of our beds tonight.

Teddy's Adult Level 1 training begins at Petco in Mid-April. We have met the trainer Sarah who says Teddy needs "sensitivity training" from being abused. We feel we should avoid serious punishment until the professional trainer gets a hold of him.

Anyone have any thoughts? Tough treatment of a dog who has been abused makes no sense to us. My wife just locked Teddy out of her office area. Now Teddy is sitting beside me crying, but I am not giving him any attention.

Perfect Google picture, exactly the treatment I am getting right now.

sad_golden_retriever.JPG

Damn, I feel like my father!

Last edited:
Well Sarah at Petco has set an appointment to do some private sensitivity training next Friday. It ain't cheap. It usually runs $79 an hour, but Teddy gets a special deal because we have purchased all our dog things from them. All the managers and groomers know Teddy, and are big supporters of dog rescue groups, so special deal $39 an hour.

Teddy will be confined to his 70'X50' back yard with six foot brick block fences. Teddy has a dog behind him, (Boxer), and a dog next door, (Chow) to bark at.

When Teddy sees a bird he chases it out of the yard. What should I expect after 200 years of Retriever breeding?

Hell, I was looking forward to the next installment and then...nothing.

Oh well, you've got at least one reader hanging on the edge of his seat to hear what's up with Teddy!

Good on ya. All three of ya!

Oh well, you've got at least one reader hanging on the edge of his seat to hear what's up with Teddy!

Love to post about Teddy. We are really kind of on hold until next Friday when he gets his session with the Petco trainer/sensitivity expert. Twice when out for walks, Teddy heard dogs, stopped in his tracks and would not move ~ FROZEN ON THE SPOT. I was afraid to pull too hard on his pronged collar. Fortunately, my wife was following behind in the Jeep, and Teddy jumped in.

prongcollar.jpg

Teddy's neck hair is so thick it does not
hurt him, unless we get into tug-o-war.

No more walks until after that. We have cleared the back yard, installed gates from the deck, replaced oriental rugs with cheap carpet remnants and leave the back door open so he can come and go as he chooses. The house is now one giant kennel. Praise god for Prego floors! Right now it is swiffer and vacuum every day. I do it because I want my wife to bond more strongly to Teddy. I believe a quiet house with accommodating adults is the key. We are informed that Teddy may prefer men to women, so we are making a big effort for my wife ~ petting, dog treats, and toys! I now give nothing but play and petting.

Prong collars work really well with strong dogs - they look worse than they really are. He sounds like a gem BB :)

Have your wife be the feeder-of-meals and he will bond with her, Golden's are great dogs!

Love to post about Teddy. We are really kind of on hold until next Friday when he gets his session with the Petco trainer/sensitivity expert. Twice when out for walks, Teddy heard dogs, stopped in his tracks and would not move ~ FROZEN ON THE SPOT. I was afraid to pull too hard on his pronged collar. Fortunately, my wife was following behind in the Jeep, and Teddy jumped in.

prongcollar.jpg

No more walks until after that. We have cleared the back yard, installed gates from the deck, replaced oriental rugs with cheap carpet remnants and leave the back door open so he can come and go as he chooses. The house is now one giant kennel. Praise god for Prego floors! Right now it is swiffer and vacuum every day. I do it because I want my wife to bond more strongly to Teddy. I believe a quiet house with accommodating adults is the key. We are informed that Teddy may prefer men to women, so we are making a big effort for my wife ~ petting, dog treats, and toys! I now give nothing but play and petting.

you dont have to use that harsh a collar.....he is a golden....given love he will give so much love in return ....you just dont know how lucky you are right now...you will come to know the love of a golden it is like no other dog love..and i am a doberman person

We are seeking dog advice.

Today on day 10 of Teddy he acted up. My wife was walking him, he heard another dog behind a fence, and started barking. I was following behind in the Jeep with flashers on. Teddy would not move, so I got out, and he refused to move for me. He was wearing a pronged collar, and still pulled back. We are talking 103 pounds of young adult dog muscle.

Teddy is always willing to jump into the Jeep, and did so today. This was the first time the words "Bad Teddy" were spoken. We locked him out on the enclosed deck, (big punishment, it is his favorite place). After an hour we let him into the house, but we are giving him the cold shoulder now. We have decided he will not be allowed in either of our beds tonight.

Teddy's Adult Level 1 training begins at Petco in Mid-April. We have met the trainer Sarah who says Teddy needs "sensitivity training" from being abused. We feel we should avoid serious punishment until the professional trainer gets a hold of him.

Anyone have any thoughts? Tough treatment of a dog who has been abused makes no sense to us. My wife just locked Teddy out of her office area. Now Teddy is sitting beside me crying, but I am not giving him any attention.

Perfect Google picture, exactly the treatment I am getting right now.

sad_golden_retriever.JPG

Damn, I feel like my father!

BB, Teddi won't understand the "cold shoulder" treatment for this behavior - he won't associate it with the event. Generally - time out types of "punishment" work really well for dogs that are over-the-top (puppies mostly) and so you remove the reward (interacting with you) for a little while until they settle.

Teddi's, hearing a dog bark might be curious, or fearful - depending on his history, but the best thing is, keep moving. A mild tug on the collar isn't "punishment" - especially when coupled with a cheerful "come on Teddi, let's go" and walk on. You might also carry some treats with you, and reward him when he moves on.

The only caveat I can think of is this - is his reaction to the dog barking fearful? Does he plant his feet and try to back out and get away? If so - you might want to walk him on the opposite side of the streat :)

prongcollar.jpg

you dont have to use that harsh a collar.....he is a golden....given love he will give so much love in return ....you just dont know how lucky you are right now...you will come to know the love of a golden it is like no other dog love..and i am a doberman person

I know the collars are controversial but - when you have a 103 lb dog, it can be hard for a small person to control - especially if it's a giant love bug at the end of the leash :)

Prong collars work really well with strong dogs - they look worse than they really are. He sounds like a gem BB :)

Have your wife be the feeder-of-meals and he will bond with her, Golden's are great dogs!

Teddy has taken over the household, and our lives have changed incredibly.

I was shopping at Ralph's, (Kroger), and found a St. Patrick's hat on close-out with no price. We have known the manager for years. I asked him if he was "dealing" today, I'd give him a buck for the hat. He said with one condition that I wear it out of the store! And, I did. :lol:

felt-leprechaun-hat.jpg

Teddy got all excited when he saw it. Guess what I am wearing at the computer right now? Can you guess who is watching me?

Trust me, we know how lucky we are to have Teddy. We also know that his 13 runaways could have led to the kill kennel if the woman who took him out of the shelter had not taken him home for two weeks and found us.

USA_Dogs_sources_destination_shelter_killed.png

The line between life and death is very thin for all of us. The biggest thing Teddy has given me is that my life has gone from future planning into enjoying the moment. I was lost, and now I am found.

I have already offered myself as a volunteer to Golden Retriever Rescue. I may be asked to contribute my skills in advertising to the cause of rescuing animals. Less time on USMB. I hope this balances the feeling I get from shoving sugar snacks down the throats of children, and diabetics.

hershey-kiss.jpg

Last edited:
BB, Teddi won't understand the "cold shoulder" treatment for this behavior - he won't associate it with the event. Generally - time out types of "punishment" work really well for dogs that are over-the-top (puppies mostly) and so you remove the reward (interacting with you) for a little while until they settle.

Teddi's, hearing a dog bark might be curious, or fearful - depending on his history, but the best thing is, keep moving. A mild tug on the collar isn't "punishment" - especially when coupled with a cheerful "come on Teddi, let's go" and walk on. You might also carry some treats with you, and reward him when he moves on.

The only caveat I can think of is this - is his reaction to the dog barking fearful? Does he plant his feet and try to back out and get away? If so - you might want to walk him on the opposite side of the streat :)

Today is day 15 with Teddy, and you are correct. Teddy is changing fast. I saw him surprised by a small dog on a walk. The next day he barked (commandingly) right back. Our main concern remains Teddy "freezing" on the street. My wife was walking him in two instances past dogs barking behind high fences. Teddy refused to move for either of us. Fortunately, I was following in the Jeep, and he was willing to jump in.

Teddy can live well in his large privately fenced back yard until Friday. Then Sarah at Petco is seeing Teddy for a private sensitivity session. She has met Teddy twice and is confident his anxiety can be resolved before we take Teddy into Adult I training with Sarah.

As to cost, we have received an extremely well trained house broken dog that has been abused. By the third day we were leaving Teddy alone in the house. Absolutely, no damage. A dog like Teddy, (not a show dog, has some Collie blood) would cost several thousand dollars. We paid nothing for him, after being vetted by Golden Retriever Rescue, (there are rescues for all breeds of dogs on the internet in your State), so I am ready to pay whatever is needed. Teddy's health coverage is $44 a month because of a pre-existing Thyroid condition. Some operations go into the thousands. Teddy is covered by Healthy Paws Insurance which is run by a non-profit pet owners foundation. You may use the licensed vet or your choice.

EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg
HealthyPawsBanner_300x250_Dog.jpg
EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg

Last edited:
I know the collars are controversial but - when you have a 103 lb dog, it can be hard for a small person to control - especially if it's a giant love bug at the end of the leash :)

"Giant Love Bug" wish I had thought of those words! She has "Giant Love Bugs"

article-2070464-0F02E45400000578-643_468x729.jpg

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090805231435AAnSyqn

At present, The Queen owns four Corgis: Linnet, Monty, Willow and Holly and four Dorgis: Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan. The Queen’s corgis travel with her to the various residences, with Her Majesty looking after them herself as much as her times would allow.

These dogs are spoilt to bits and not so friendly at all. Even Her Majesty gets bitten from time to time, and they often snap at the Equerry who walks them or engage in a blazing fight amongst themselves. So next time you see a picture of Her Majesty sporting scratches or bites on her hands, it's from her dogs. She doesn't care, though. The Royal staff don't really like them but never dare to complain about them and certainly not to Her Majesty because then, you can count yourself lucky not be beheaded for lèse-majesté... :)

Back in 2003, Princess Anne's English bullterrier Florence killed The Queen's corgi Pharos. Her Majesty was devastated at losing Pharos. The corgis ran out to greet Princess Anne when she arrived at Sandringham for Christmas. That's when Florence hit. The Queen personally tried to separate them with the help of Anne and a footman. She'd been bitten and scratched all over but she couldn't help her dog.

The Queen neither likes it when people want to pet her dogs or ask about them because it's so well-known that they are her "heart and soul" and it is understood that people would want to ingratiate themselves with her. She is very jealous and possessive of her dogs.

The Queen also has a kennel on Sandringham Estate where she breeds Labradors, and of course they have plenty of hunting dogs. She dearly loves dogs and happily spends time with any of them whenever she has the opportunity.

the-queen-from-the-queen.jpg
ALMOST like any of us dog owners.
helen_mirren.jpg
Queen-Elizabeth-II-18113.jpg

Perhaps QE2 is the only person on the planet that could get away with this!

Last edited:
diatoms.gif

Today is Diatanatious Earth day.

After an internet investigation of ways to prevent fleas and ticks, the nursery suggested Diatanatious Earth which basically kills parasites safely. Basically, it is shards of shells from the bottom of an ocean or stream. The owner of our local nursery said she had traveled to Santa Domingo and picked up a parasite. Three weeks of Diatanatious Earth in here Orange Juice and the parasite was gone.

Diatanatious Earth can be purchased on the internet for around $25 for 10 pounds delivered. If it rains on your yard, you probably will need to apply.

diatomaceous%20earth.jpg

Footnote; Coyote's phrase "Giant Love Bug" has come into use in our household when petting Teddy.

Coyote is right, dogs understand immediate action/reaction. Punishing an animal after the fact just confuses them.

Looks like a truly awesome dog.

Forum List

Back