"This Dog, "Teddy" is a felon"

This is a great thread BB :)

3 of my 4 dogs are rescues, each with their own story :)

Well folks, we lost a big one!
Bobby De Niro is a cat owner/lover! :eek:

Tribeca_2659149b.jpg

Last edited:
Figured this was worth a rerun!

We were advised to keep an eye on dog food recalls. You might be surprised to see some familiar names on the list such as Proctor and Gamble's, IAMS on the list. http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/pets/migration/000052398.jpg
Check out all the sites by Googling "Dog Food Recalls."

To me any dog food manufacturer that has a Salmonella that could kill my dog is off my "buy" list forever. I have begun my research into dog food. Sometimes the difference between a $50 bag and a $25 bag is FILLER or MADE IN CHINA, AND GOD KNOWS WHAT IS IN IT. Our vet says Avoderm or Science diet is best if you can afford it. Dog food is a high profit racket, but I did find this information when you are reading a dog food label at least you can eliminate the crap with the list below;

Average Protein is 29% for dry, and 40% for canned.
Aveage Fat is 16% for Kibble, and 23% for canned
250-350 calories per 8oz. cup dry, and 13% canned.

Both Hills Science diet and Avoderm are made in the United States. I called Avoderm, their dry chicken formula is 298 calories verses their lamb at 360 calories. Avoderm is made in the U. S., but the meat is from New Zealand.

I was amazed to learn that most pharmaceuticals come from China today, so most pharma for humans and in dog food comes from there. Avoderm is costing us $2.26 per day, but since I found out most Ralston-Purina dry is filler, which does nothing for the dog, and he just potty's it straight out. I will spend the $2.26 to thin Teddy down, but I am looking for a price. It really is worth the time to read labels and consider the averages above for a guideline.

6a014e5f228375970c017d41950cd1970c-800wi.gif

HealthyPaws is a non-profit foundation owned by pet owners. However there are other organizations that offer pet insurance.

(Beachboy), with our new Share with Friends program, helping your pet-passionate friends protect their furry family members has never been easier.

LfT-3kF4iyq9NziqvGa2dVm4JW53PPn1vfTzaEDxN4MMjASkY8NaxImiozAzCxEs09pgnhgFgWruFq5qQj18HSGwDwJh4Or7L5jddp8moDoSRsvFQE6vpbq1PtsuUVsWrS5iLig=s0-d-e1-ft

Just a quick note, your 15 day waiting period is over, so it's O.K. to take the bubble wrap off of your pets now and have fun!

william_shatner_tweet.png

Last edited:
do not use science hill foods.....vets only take one or two nutrition classes and they are normally taught by science hill who also supplies vets with free food....etc....i did the raw diet for a while but it was just too much with 3 dogs

do not use science hill foods.....vets only take one or two nutrition classes and they are normally taught by science hill who also supplies vets with free food....etc....i did the raw diet for a while but it was just too much with 3 dogs

This is important information for me. Hill's Science Diet is on my list of dog foods to investigate. Avoderm is what came with our Teddy, but at $50 for a 30 pound bag, I think we can do better in terms of price. Teddy's meals run $2.26 per day. Here are the guidelines I have been using for finding a HEALTHY reasonably priced dog food. As a boy we fed our Shepard Ralston-Purina dog chow, now I learn it nothing but filler that the dog potty out.

Here are the guidelines I am using to select a quality, reasonably priced dog food.

Average Protein is 29% for dry, and 40% for canned.
Average Fat is 16% for Kibble, and 23% for canned
250-350 calories per 8oz. cup dry, and 13% canned.

dog-graphics-dog-food-652140.gif

BB, if you want to research a bit to find a quality dog food, I'd recommend reading this article: Whole Dog Journal's 2013 Dry Dog Food Review | Earth Pets of Gainesville

It offers some good tips, how to read the labels and what to look for plus, they rate dog foods in a way that's open and easy to understand :)

I put your link in my dog food research favorites, and plan a thorough investigation of my own this month.

I see there is a new Dog Thread, we should go there, then we will be with all the dogs! Looks like a good idea to me.

Forum List

Back