"This Dog, "Teddy" is a felon"

Got some rep for this post, so here is a rerun FYI.

AnimatedDogswaving.gif

A dog like Teddy, (not a show dog, has some Collie blood) would cost several thousand dollars. We paid nothing for him, after being vetted by Golden Retriever Rescue, (there are rescues for all breeds of dogs on the internet in your State), so I am ready to pay whatever is needed after savings like that.

Teddy's health coverage is $44 a month because of a pre-existing Thyroid condition. Most dogs under age 6 can be insured for $30 a month. Some operations go into the thousands of dollars. Teddy is covered by Healthy Paws Insurance which is run by a non-profit pet owners foundation. You may use the licensed vet or your choice.

EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg
HealthyPawsBanner_300x250_Dog.jpg
EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg

Last edited:
I know the collars are controversial but - when you have a 103 lb dog, it can be hard for a small person to control - especially if it's a giant love bug at the end of the leash :)

You need the collar, Beachboy. Retrievers have a high tolerance for pain and it's virtually impossible for you to cause pain to the dog with it unless you actually hung him with it according to my vet, trainer, and boarder. The collar is slip-proof and that's the useful part. Dogs are rambunctious and need reminders more than discipline if they are of the correct temperament.

I'm not sure you're doing you or Teddy any favors by allowing him to sleep in your bed because that confuses them some (the pack leader sleeps there and that should not be him). But most of the time it doesn't cause a problem.

70x50 is too small for a dog that size without some real running exercise elsewhere. Try to find a place to set up a long dog run, 200 feet or more. A few time a month he needs to get up a full sustained sprint, faster than you can run with him. You can make it using a leash, a snap link, some 1/4" cable, cable clamps, and two heavy duty spiral stakes.

Here are links for all you need:

3/8" X 200', 7x19, Vinyl Coated Galvanized Cable Reel

Light Duty Stainless Steel Thimbles

3/8" Light Duty Wire Rope Thimble

3/8" Electro Galvanized Spring Snap Link

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-24-Inch-Spiral-Tie-Out-100lbs/dp/B00EQ2B9M6"]Amazon.com: Favorite 24-Inch Red Heavy Duty Spiral Stake with Red Tie-Out Cable for Large Dogs (20ft 50lbs): Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thank you for taking the time to provide so much information. All this will be considered when we meet with the trainer on Friday. I also ordered a copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Golden Retrievers" for four bucks used and delivered. So, I am eager to dig into that.

6784585809_ca4181d248_m.jpg

From Google Images

The issue of allowing Teddy in bed came to a head this morning. Because of the time difference with our New York office, I have to be at my desk at 6AM one week a month, and this is that week. At 3:30 this morning I was up, and so was Teddy. He decided it was time to play. (Now you see why my wife sleeps in her own bedroom these days).

Teddy was the most frisky I have seen him, and demanded attention, (he always demands attention :lol:). It was "Turkey Tummy" time.

We all know how children can make up their own words and terms. As a child when our German Shepard, "Fritz," would lay on his back, his chest looked like a big Thanksgiving turkey. So, when I would rub his belly, I would say "Turkey Tummy" and get him all hyped up.

Well, Teddy is in on the Turkey Tummy thing, (the visiting spirit of Fritz?), and he was all over that bed, where my wife sleeps, where I sleep, on the pillows. It was at twenty minutes of Turkey Tummy! Even though it was the middle of the night, I laughed through every minute of it! :lol: All my sheets and comforter are in the wash now. A small price to pay for quality entertainment!

I have decided to write this off as "family fun." Besides, I am noticing a change in myself. My people are "Corpies" (Fortune 500 career oriented). The problem with being a Corpy is that you live for tomorrow, design programs that will take three years to complete, and always have a five year plan.

Teddy lives for the moment, and forces me to do the same. I like this feeling of emotional freedom. I am much more casual at work. Coyote's words have found a place in our home, "Giant Love Bug." It is a lot more than just words, you have to feel it to understand it.

Your life will never be the same again BB - enjoy every moment and every laugh! :)

Do dogs have a sense of time like humans?

Do dogs understand the concept of time? : Dog Guide: Animal PlanetThe article is well worth reading, but the conclusion follows:

First paragraph: Does your dog seem to know when it's time to go to the dog park, even before you've taken out the leash? Is his face pressed against the window waiting for you to come home from work each day? To many dog owners, canines may seem to have an uncannily accurate concept of time. But do our four-legged friends really know what time it is, or is there something else at work in their minds?

Last paragraph: Dogs often get anxious when separated from their loved ones, but usually have little trouble coping with that anxiety. Most will simply sleep through it. That's because canines are equipped with a natural instinct to live in the moment, despite having an understanding of the concept of time. It's that devil-may-care attitude that allows them to forget about what happened yesterday -- good or bad -- and not worry a bit about what will happen tomorrow.

anim-pooch-93.gif

RkGLIY4.jpg

Coyote,

Is this your dog "Gracie?" Please share more!

No, it's my dog Gracie. She's 2 years 5 months old, 105 lbs., and very sweet.

Here she is on the boat with the kids.

Hi5v1OL.jpg
Your dog Gracie must be huge! Teddy is 3.5 years and 103 pounds, the vet wants him down to 85. Gracie looks athletic by comparison. We are keeping Teddy on Chicken Avoderm to reduce his calorie intake.

We were advised to keep an eye on dog food recalls. You might be surprised to see some familiar names on the list such as Proctor and Gamble's, IAMS on the list. http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/pets/migration/000052398.jpg
Check out all the sites by Googling "Dog Food Recalls."

To me any dog food manufacturer that has a Salmonella that could kill my dog is off my "buy" list forever. I have begun my research into dog food. Sometimes the difference between a $50 bag and a $25 bag is FILLER or MADE IN CHINA, AND GOD KNOWS WHAT IS IN IT. Our vet says Avoderm or Science diet is best if you can afford it. Dog food is a high profit racket, but I did find this information when you are reading a dog food label at least you can eliminate the crap with the list below;

Average Protein is 29% for dry, and 40% for canned.
Aveage Fat is 16% for Kibble, and 23% for canned
250-350 calories per 8oz. cup dry, and 13% canned.

Both Hills Science diet and Avoderm are made in the United States. I called Avoderm, their dry chicken formula is 298 calories verses their lamb at 360 calories. Avoderm is made in the U. S., but the meat is from New Zealand.

I was amazed to learn that most pharmaceuticals come from China today, so most pharma for humans and in dog food comes from there. Avoderm is costing us $2.26 per day, but since I found out most Ralston-Purina dry is filler, which does nothing for the dog, and he just potty's it straight out. I will spend the $2.26 to thin Teddy down, but I am looking for a price. It really is worth the time to read labels and consider the averages above for a guideline.

6a014e5f228375970c017d41950cd1970c-800wi.gif

Last edited:
RkGLIY4.jpg

Coyote,

She's Asterism's dog :)

I have aussies and mixes - hooligans all ;)

Come on Coyote. If I can admit that my wife and I are sleeping with our dog, certainly you can open up a bit about your "Hooligans." I know people with Aussies, am I going to have to post images of Aussies from Google like this, or can we have the real thing? I post the Cattle dog because I liked this pic, but there are Red Tri's, Blue Merle's, and probably more! :) We want Hooligans! We want Hooligans!

h3CFE2549

Last edited:
HealthyPaws Pet Insurance sent me some info along with my policy today. Apparently, a dog under age six with no pre-existing condition can have a policy for about $30 a month. Their website will give you an estimate for your pet.

If you really love your pet, these non-profit pet owners think you should know the reality of some pet healthcare costs today.

Vomiting and Diarrhea $1,550. HealthyPaws pays $1,295
Ingesting a Foreign Body $6,250. HealthyPaws pays $5,525
Ear Infections $3,750. HealthyPaws pays $3,275
Urinary Tract Infections $3,500. HealthyPaws pays $3,050
Leg Fracture $5,400. HealthyPaws pays $4,760

"It won't happen to my dog or cat." is not a healthcare plan for your pet.

william_shatner_tweet.png

Healthy_Paws_Pet_Insurance_Foundation_404314.png

Last edited:
Actor, Ashton Kutcher's bull dog had to be put down last November just as he had been making his wedding plans with his girlfriend Mila Kunis who also appeared as Kutcher's girlfriend on "That 70s Show." Mila Kunis was at Ashton Kutcher's side when his dog was put down.

article-2508074-196F942800000578-183_306x791.jpg

Now Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis have a new RESCUE dog together, and there are rumors the married couple may have a first child on the way. However, the pregnancy is unofficial as of now. Mila Kunis has been offered a television series of her own for this fall.

article-2508074-1970565800000578-380_634x749.jpg

Last edited:
hey you were good humored and took all the flak well.......i got a lot of flak for revealing i dont make my doberman go out in the cold....if he doesnt wanna go out....i dont make him...he is totally housebroken and will let me know when he needs to go out....

my golden was hector....a guy shelled out a lot of money for a christmas gift for his wife...they lived on the main road and the dog was always on the road..they wanted to sell him....i told them i would not give them a dime but i would give the dog a good home....so i got him....i ask them how much he ate a day..they didnt know...they just opened a bag of food in the shed and he ate it when he wanted.....they said he would not stay with me cause i only lived a couple of miles from them...he never went back...he stayed with me...till the day he didnt eat the oreo...and on the way to the vet he died....i miss that dog to this day...

o my favored hector story...we were up on the bald...a big natural bald in tn...i had hector on a leash...i noticed a couple of guys passing me and wondered what they had sticking out of their backpacks but they went on and i didnt think anything of it again....i took hector off leash..there were no kids and i have a good 1/2 mile or more between us and anyone else....when i notice the stunt kites....that is what was sticking out of the backpacks...they are airborne now and beautiful....the guys seem to be experts at flying them....when a down draft hit and one of the kites hits the ground about 100 ft away from me and hector.....he snaps into action.. and heads towards the kite....i am running after him screaming no....the kite owners is running towards his kite screaming .....stop that fucking dog that kite costs 600 bucks.....hector turns 3 ft away from the downed kite....

RkGLIY4.jpg

Coyote,

Come on Coyote. If I can admit that my wife and I are sleeping with our dog, certainly you can open up a bit about your "Hooligans." I know people with Aussies, am I going to have to post images of Aussies from Google like this, or can we have the real thing? I post the Cattle dog because I liked this pic, but there are Red Tri's, Blue Merle's, and probably more! :) We want Hooligans! We want Hooligans!

h3CFE2549

Ok.....

The Cujoette (Hazel)
Hazelfeb14_zps5065b427.jpg

The Boss (Cowboy)
Cowboystandinginwater2.jpg

The Hunter (Rosalee) - in stealth mode dismembering a stuffie
Rosaleetoymeister.jpg

The Wimp (Ruger) hunting mice under the snow.
100_2521_zpsbbf1a116.jpg

hey you were good humored and took all the flak well.......i got a lot of flak for revealing i dont make my doberman go out in the cold....if he doesnt wanna go out....i dont make him...he is totally housebroken and will let me know when he needs to go out....

my golden was hector....a guy shelled out a lot of money for a christmas gift for his wife...they lived on the main road and the dog was always on the road..they wanted to sell him....i told them i would not give them a dime but i would give the dog a good home....so i got him....i ask them how much he ate a day..they didnt know...they just opened a bag of food in the shed and he ate it when he wanted.....they said he would not stay with me cause i only lived a couple of miles from them...he never went back...he stayed with me...till the day he didnt eat the oreo...and on the way to the vet he died....i miss that dog to this day...

o my favored hector story...we were up on the bald...a big natural bald in tn...i had hector on a leash...i noticed a couple of guys passing me and wondered what they had sticking out of their backpacks but they went on and i didnt think anything of it again....i took hector off leash..there were no kids and i have a good 1/2 mile or more between us and anyone else....when i notice the stunt kites....that is what was sticking out of the backpacks...they are airborne now and beautiful....the guys seem to be experts at flying them....when a down draft hit and one of the kites hits the ground about 100 ft away from me and hector.....he snaps into action.. and heads towards the kite....i am running after him screaming no....the kite owners is running towards his kite screaming .....stop that fucking dog that kite costs 600 bucks.....hector turns 3 ft away from the downed kite....

Now that Hector story is worth more than $600! Today we took Teddy to the sensitivity trainer, and learned he is "playing us." I will post later!

pb-Gallery-KitesA-20130601223637656428-600x400.jpg

This is what I got when I Googled $600 kites!​

Last edited:

h3CFE2549

Ok.....

The Cujoette (Hazel)
Hazelfeb14_zps5065b427.jpg

The Boss (Cowboy)
Cowboystandinginwater2.jpg

The Hunter (Rosalee) - in stealth mode dismembering a stuffie
Rosaleetoymeister.jpg

The Wimp (Ruger) hunting mice under the snow.
100_2521_zpsbbf1a116.jpg

First off, you have totally thrown out the internet image I have of you in my mind. Hazel reminds me of the German Shepard I had as a boy. I could not take another Shepard, I would compare him constantly to Fritz. The thing I like about Hazel is she looks like a dog. When I walk down to Venice Beach, I can not get around the bodybuilders with their Poodles. Now nothing against Poodles because I know they are a lot smarty than their fluffy appearance. You just kind of expect a big guy to have a big dog. Eh, who am I to judge. We sleep with our dog!

Cowboy would be the one I would pick for me. That health harness has to be a tough one. But, if Cowboy is the boss, I like his alpha courage. Our Teddy is overwhelming love to little kids, and he looks thoroughbred, but he has some Collie and Pomeranian. Just like with people, I think mixed blood is a good thing.

Now Rosalee is the dog that would push me around. I'd probably be apologizing to her that it was my fault that the stuffie fell apart. I learned from the dog trainer today that I am letting Teddy walk all over me.

Ruger is interesting to me. It may only be a photo, but I see Teddy's floppy personality here. I think I miffed the dog sensitivity trainer today when I said that if Teddy wants to go out on the deck instead of in the house, I will let him. I will not turn into my mother and nag him to death with all kinds of commands. We run a casual house. Petco's sensitivity trainer Sarah looked at me and said, "More proof about dog training, the owners need more than the dogs!"

We signed up for six sessions twice a week with an option for six more. My wife and I realized we have a lot to learn, and the end result will be a better life for Teddy, Laura, and me.

Now, Coyote, you have teased us with Hazel, Cowboy, Rosalee, and Ruger. May I prevail upon you for a story on each?

2891347068_1fcaa268ec_z_large.jpg

This has got to be kin to Teddy with that ball, he teases us with it.​

Last edited:
We waited all week for today's Petco sensitivity trainer to work with Teddy.

The first thing she explained is that dogs are like people. There are Alpha's, (leaders who are unafraid to lead and their owners answer to them), and the Beta's (dogs that prefer to follow along, but can take the Alpha role if need be).

Sarah thinks Teddy is confused because he can get us to respond to his whining, and attention getting techniques. We were advised to teach Teddy to walk behind us, and to not let him go through doors first. If I am on the computer and Teddy sits touching a foot, I should pull it away. Teddy can use "the sense of touch." to control me. We were reminded that we make the mortgage payment, not Teddy. Teddy is a guest.

The biggest surprise to me was that Sarah said Teddy thinks people are other dogs who can stand on two feet! Laura and I must be the Alpha dogs, Teddy will relax because he will not be confused as to his having to be an Alpha. Teddy wants to be a Beta, so we need to help him. There was no discussion of treatment for a real Alpha dog. This Alpha/Beta thing, I have applied at the office without even knowing it. If we want a new account at the Ad Agency you offer an Alpha a pile of money to get it for you. Alphas are like pit bulls, they attack because they are greed motivated. With a Beta be prepared for a long discussion of the moral aspect of promoting that kind of client's products. Beta's don't want to see a balance sheet, they want to see the human rights record of the potential client. I am a beta that fakes alpha to compete with alphas. I believe that in the long run, betas do a better job of running companies, and are much easier to work with.

Sarah taught us not to look into Teddy's eyes when he wants attention, he knows how to control us with his eyes. Eventually, Teddy will have to go on walks and see other dogs, we are to keep him behind us, and move him behind our back to our other side. Apparently, Teddy responds to us when he sees another dog and feels protective of his gang. If we pull Teddy aside, and do not show anxiety about the other dog, Teddy will ignore him because we are the Alphas in the pack, and we show no threat.

cheap-chrome.jpg

The final point was on the pronged collar that was so controversial in this thread. We should not get into a tug-o-war with the dog. The collar will not hurt him because of the amount of fur on his neck. Pressure is to be pulled quickly, and immediately released in a sharp motion. Then make the dog sit. A dog is like a teeter-tatter. Make him look up at your hand without making eye contact. Say "sit." Eyes go up and butt goes down. We were amazed the way Sarah could bring back his original training in only minutes.

Another thing I learned, Petco used money to judge our commitment to Teddy. First, we heard $80 an hour, but were given a discount for $40 and hour, which we paid. Today, we bought six lessons for $100, with an option for another six. Teddy will get two private sessions next week before he goes to a class with other dogs. Socialization is needed for Teddy. Fortunately, Teddy already has the skills we want, he just needs to learn to take it from Laura and I as "Alpha Dogs."

Strollingbones story of Hector is so much like our Teddy. There are a lot of idiots out there that should not be allowed to have dogs. We dog owners are going to get back what we give out. Kill Kennels should be used for bad owners, not dogs.

cage-fight.jpg

Footnote; Even though Teddy is neutered, he made a new friend in "Kera" a black female Labradore Retriever who has been fixed. They were instant friends.

Last edited:
I have to laugh BB - you see a lot in the pictures of my dogs :)

You are spot on about them. Cowboy is my "heart" dog - 13 yrs old, loves people, loves kids, loves to work. He has spinal cord damage - a result of a congenital problem combined with arthritus. For a long time he just bull-dozed his way through anything and everything. We learned herding together, worked with sheep and cattle, and went to stock dog clinics. He was a hard dog to work with - very talented while I was a slow-footed amateur. Now, our activities together are reduced but the cart allows him to walk longer distances (he can stand, and go short distances, but not very far before his hind end goes east when his front goes west). Here he is before he retired :)

Cowboythroughthepanels-1.jpg

Hazel, aka "The Cujoette" was a rescue dog I fostered. Her story is complicated but the end result was she was not adoptable due to her reactivity so I ended up keeping her. She's mellowed a lot in that time and is smart as a whip (probably why she gets into so much trouble). She's about 10 now.

Hazel, is very predatory, and killed a bunny some years ago, about a week before Easter. My backyard is fenced with 5 foot chainlink, and any critter that enters a yard inhabited by multiple dogs (I had 6 back then) has GOT to be mentally deficient - so this is definately evolution in action. I'm sitting in the living room reading and hubby goes to let the dogs in. I hear this plaintive wail come from the mudroom - "Hoooooooooonnnnnneeeee you better come look at this". Hazel is standing there, 4 square and poking out of her mouth are two bunny ears. That is all that is visable. Oh. Goodie. I tell Hazel in a cheerful voice "give" and hold out my hand. She looks at me with an obvious question in her eyes: "are you effing kidding me?". She has the prize. No way is she giving it up. Her jaws are locked in a death grip around it. So, I beat a strategic retreat to the cookie jar: diplomacy in action. I hold up a handful of cookies and look at her. She looks at me. Thinks hard for a second (you can see the wheels turning - cookies or bunny). Doesn't take long. She drops the bunny (head) and dives for the cookies. I, meanwhile, get rid of the evidence. She murdered the Easter Bunny ...never did find the rest of it...not sure I wanted to.....

I have to laugh BB - you see a lot in the pictures of my dogs :)

You are spot on about them. Cowboy is my "heart" dog - 13 yrs old, loves people, loves kids, loves to work. He has spinal cord damage - a result of a congenital problem combined with arthritus. For a long time he just bull-dozed his way through anything and everything. We learned herding together, worked with sheep and cattle, and went to stock dog clinics. He was a hard dog to work with - very talented while I was a slow-footed amateur. Now, our activities together are reduced but the cart allows him to walk longer distances (he can stand, and go short distances, but not very far before his hind end goes east when his front goes west). Here he is before he retired :)

Cowboythroughthepanels-1.jpg

Hazel, aka "The Cujoette" was a rescue dog I fostered. Her story is complicated but the end result was she was not adoptable due to her reactivity so I ended up keeping her. She's mellowed a lot in that time and is smart as a whip (probably why she gets into so much trouble). She's about 10 now.

Hazel, is very predatory, and killed a bunny some years ago, about a week before Easter. My backyard is fenced with 5 foot chainlink, and any critter that enters a yard inhabited by multiple dogs (I had 6 back then) has GOT to be mentally deficient - so this is definately evolution in action. I'm sitting in the living room reading and hubby goes to let the dogs in. I hear this plaintive wail come from the mudroom - "Hoooooooooonnnnnneeeee you better come look at this". Hazel is standing there, 4 square and poking out of her mouth are two bunny ears. That is all that is visable. Oh. Goodie. I tell Hazel in a cheerful voice "give" and hold out my hand. She looks at me with an obvious question in her eyes: "are you effing kidding me?". She has the prize. No way is she giving it up. Her jaws are locked in a death grip around it. So, I beat a strategic retreat to the cookie jar: diplomacy in action. I hold up a handful of cookies and look at her. She looks at me. Thinks hard for a second (you can see the wheels turning - cookies or bunny). Doesn't take long. She drops the bunny (head) and dives for the cookies. I, meanwhile, get rid of the evidence. She murdered the Easter Bunny ...never did find the rest of it...not sure I wanted to.....

Now this I love, dogs are dogs, and I think they are hysterical. Being a retriever Teddy loves tennis balls. He uses them as bait for us. He'll put the ball three inches in front of his nose, but when I go to grab it, he beats me to it. Then he'll come up to me holding his trophy challenging us to take it. It took a bit of time to learn to reach into his mouth to take the ball. Usually it takes me both hands to win this tug of war, but never a scratch on my hands because of his retriever blood to not harm game in his mouth. That said, there have now been two mornings where bird feathers were on the deck. Hmmmmmm.........

My wife and I thought we were going for a nice quiet lunch at Denny's, (the neighborhood meeting spot), and then to Kroger. We were both quietly eating, and I looked at her and said what is on your mind? Laura said. "Let's get all this stuff done quickly because Teddy is home alone." We ran through that grocery manically throwing things in the basket.
Teddy has us under control.

So, ok, when I take Teddy out to someplace like Home Depot, I want him to behave from proper training. I want him to make us proud. But, when he is home, he is like us ~ lazy bones. I am not going to nag this dog with a lot of commands. He was abused we understand by being locked indoors all day, and listened to adults arguing all night. Sorry trainer, Sarah, our dog, follows the same rules we do. If Teddy wants to do night walking from bedroom to bedroom, or to his own private sofa in the living room fine. I can deal with washing my sheets every morning if that is what it takes to enjoy all that "tummy rubbing" on the bed.

Next door is a Chow, behind the Chow is a Doberman, and behind Teddy is Boxer, and on the other side is a black cat who likes to come into Teddy's yard. We used to welcome that black cat. It was cute last winter when rain forced the cat to hide under our barbeque grill. The cat starts teasing Teddy, he is on his own.

I see dogs like Cowboy with his health wheels, and I know a hurting owner when I see them. This is why it was a no-brainer for me to lay out $44 a month for HealthyPaws pet insurance. I will not allow the possibility of a $6,000 medical bill stand in the way of caring properly for a family member. I am moved, and can so no more about Cowboy at this time.

I am glad to know Hazel is a rescue dog like Teddy. There is something very special about them. When I feed Teddy he will come to me after he finishes and acknowledge me. He does not stay. I think he is saying "Thanks for the eats!"

Healthy_paws.jpg

HealthyPaws insurance is part of a non-profit foundation of pet owners, but there are other pet insurance organizations.
HealthyPaws is endorsed by William Shatner whose dog was saved by the HealthyPaws Insurance and Foundation.

Last edited:
If you have a pooch, please do not forget to peruse the dog food recall web sites. With Salmonella in nationally known dog food processing plants, and especially dog food products from China, your dogs life depends on it.https://www.google.com/search?q=dog...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

FDA-dog-food-recall.jpg

Old news? Perhaps, but to me, any company that allows a pet killer food on the market, clearly does not give a damn about my dog.
I will never buy from these rip-off artists.

Really, how hard is it to keep a pet food plant clean and healthy? These company's simply do not care?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back