This Burger Joint Is Raising Its Starting Salary To $15 Per Hour

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

It would be the end of the dollar menu at McDonald's.

Their choice as a business.. personally, I think it is STUPID to pay a wage to an unskilled worker, doing an unskilled job, where the unskilled worker could be replaced easily by almost any other citizen in the work force, a wage that is commensurate with a skilled worker..

But hey.. if they want to do it, great for them.. hope their business model takes account the pricing necessary to have that kind of wage scale, in a business where the competition will almost guaranteed have much cheaper options of around the same quality of product

are we suppose to give a flying care and they want to make it like all them protesting is the reason for it

He's free to do whatever stupid thing he wants...he must live in a neighborhood that will 15 bucks for a lously hamburger

and this is what the daily beast finds as stop the press the news

man do you people just swallow anything that you read?

Their choice as a business.. personally, I think it is STUPID to pay a wage to an unskilled worker, doing an unskilled job, where the unskilled worker could be replaced easily by almost any other citizen in the work force, a wage that is commensurate with a skilled worker..

But hey.. if they want to do it, great for them.. hope their business model takes account the pricing necessary to have that kind of wage scale, in a business where the competition will almost guaranteed have much cheaper options of around the same quality of product

If you were in the business management business, you would be judged as unskilled just because of your lack of knowledge about the category of semi-skilled workers and the understanding that even the "unskilled" have some levels of skill.

Moo Cluck Moo

Not real pricy, and good for them if this is what they want to do. If they are successful its a win for capitalism. Two stores and cheap signage so the jury is still out.

If you were in the business management business, you would be judged as unskilled just because of your lack of knowledge about the category of semi-skilled workers and the understanding that even the "unskilled" have some levels of skill.

1) I am in business management
2) I have managed workers ranging from unskilled to professionals to management
3) Burger flippers and cashiers are not deemed as 'semi skilled'
4) A chef is skilled.. an apprentice electrician is skilled... a burger flipper or cashier can be trained in a DAY to do the MENIAL task they are doing for the business... they are not 'skilled'.. if by 'levels of skill' you mean having base motor movement and enough brain power to smell when something is burning, then I will give you the 'some level of skill' comment, but it is a ridiculous statement because then basically saying that everyone is skilled

tumblr_m3mn94gx4E1r2uu3so1_400.jpg

It's their right to do it.
I don't see how they'll compete, but let them give it a shot.

I would never pay someone wet behind the ears just entering the workforce that kind of wage in an unskilled position. They need to pay their dues first, and frankly if someone performing this kind of unskilled labor deserves it, then my job with my skills should be paying me at least about $60.00 per hour.

We know where Guano will be from 9-5

Now's the chance for all liberals in Detroit, to put their money where their mouths are and support this burger chain. If any one of them goes anywhere else from this point forward, it will wreak of hypocricy.

4) A chef is skilled.. an apprentice electrician is skilled... a burger flipper or cashier can be trained in a DAY to do the MENIAL task they are doing for the business... they are not 'skilled'.. if by 'levels of skill' you mean having base motor movement and enough brain power to smell when something is burning, then I will give you the 'some level of skill' comment, but it is a ridiculous statement because then basically saying that everyone is skilled

Yes, you are correct. You can put a horrible person on the cash register that has absolutely no people skills. It will not make a difference that they are rude, crude or ignorant to the customers or unable to politely handle small disagreements of customer problems. And the hamburger flipper does not have to have the ability to make burgers of the same consistency each time. You can just pull any person off the street to do these jobs and it will not effect your business at all. Heck, just call the unemployment office and have them send some random folks.
Skill isn't everything. A good manager looks for motivation, honesty and integrity. Yes, you may want integrity to be part of the make up of your fry cook or burger flipper if you want to insure proper food handling. If all you care about is the bottom line, you won't mind your customers getting food poisoning once and awhile. Just depends of if you think ethics are important, or not.

Good for them, they are voluntarily giving $15 an hour to their employees. That is capitalism working, it shows that we don't need laws to force wages.

The prices look ok also, it's a high end fast food restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Yes, you are correct. You can put a horrible person on the cash register that has absolutely no people skills. It will not make a difference that they are rude, crude or ignorant to the customers or unable to politely handle small disagreements of customer problems. And the hamburger flipper does not have to have the ability to make burgers of the same consistency each time. You can just pull any person off the street to do these jobs and it will not effect your business at all. Heck, just call the unemployment office and have them send some random folks.
Skill isn't everything. A good manager looks for motivation, honesty and integrity. Yes, you may want integrity to be part of the make up of your fry cook or burger flipper if you want to insure proper food handling. If all you care about is the bottom line, you won't mind your customers getting food poisoning once and awhile. Just depends of if you think ethics are important, or not.

Unskilled does not mean rude.... or crude... unskilled does not mean you can't do a menial task properly or consistently

Skill IS everything

And yes, I believe in rewarding based on performance and loyalty... but performance and loyalty in an unskilled job is not going to get you wages of a skilled worker.. now if you ADVANCE out of the base position, that is another matter

Wow.. a political speech to gather votes... yep.. that sells it :rolleyes:

Unskilled labor of the lowest level and you should NOT be making enough to support a family, or have a place of your on, or buy a new car, etc.. it should allow you enough to feed yourself, share a place to live with others, etc... more than that, you better gain some skills, market yourself, or work a 2nd or 3rd job...

Forum List

Back