This Burger Joint Is Raising Its Starting Salary To $15 Per Hour

Good for them, they are voluntarily giving $15 an hour to their employees. That is capitalism working, it shows that we don't need laws to force wages.

The prices look ok also, it's a high end fast food restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.
I fully agree. From the outskirts, all appears ok. Higher wages, and descent prices for the upscale burgers. However, what we don't know is if any of the workforce was cut due to the higher wages. I also believe that their online menu may not have been updated yet. That means there is a very good chance that prices will go up. Folks may still try the place once just to try out the food. However, if the prices do go up, they'll just wind up going back to places that offer cheaper food.

CaféAuLait;8934376 said:
Dont see this working. Looks like you'd need to sell three burgers an hour minimum to cover just one employees wage. Then you add overhead?
We'll see how long they stay in business.

They have a lower overhead, no drive thru, no tables, no chairs and only 12 employees. open 9 hours a day. It is a walk in walk out place... seems to be reasonable prices as well. Now if he had a higher overhead and more employees it may be harder to keep that up.

So.. they have a business plan that gives them less potential customers (no drive thru), people spending less time in a restaurant which leads to less dollars spent per visit (seated customers order more)... less time selling (leading to less sales) with the same rent/lease/mortgage expense...

Don't sound like a smart restaurant business plan to me

CaféAuLait;8934927 said:
McDonalds sells burgers at reasonable prices in France and Australia where minimum wage is higher than here.

In France it's $12.22 and Australia it's $16.88. Those are in US dollars.

List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um, not exactly.

The country allows lower pay for teenagers, and the labor deal McDonald's struck with its employees currently pays 16-year-olds roughly US$8 an hour, not altogether different from what they'd make in the states. In an email, Greg Bamber, a professor at Australia's Monash University who has studied labor relations in the country's fast food industry, told me that as a result, McDonald's relies heavily on young workers in Australia. It's a specific quirk of the country's wage system. But it goes to show that even in generally high-pay countries, restaurants try to save on labor where they can.

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

That what the ADULT workers get. They pay their 16 year old workers $8.00 an hour.

Their choice as a business.. personally, I think it is STUPID to pay a wage to an unskilled worker, doing an unskilled job, where the unskilled worker could be replaced easily by almost any other citizen in the work force, a wage that is commensurate with a skilled worker..

But hey.. if they want to do it, great for them.. hope their business model takes account the pricing necessary to have that kind of wage scale, in a business where the competition will almost guaranteed have much cheaper options of around the same quality of product

If you were in the business management business, you would be judged as unskilled just because of your lack of knowledge about the category of semi-skilled workers and the understanding that even the "unskilled" have some levels of skill.

the average government worker is unskilled, just look at the clerical work in Wayne County.

what about the worst security guard in the USA, does the worst security guard have a skill?

CaféAuLait;8934376 said:
Dont see this working. Looks like you'd need to sell three burgers an hour minimum to cover just one employees wage. Then you add overhead?

They have a lower overhead, no drive thru, no tables, no chairs and only 12 employees. open 9 hours a day. It is a walk in walk out place... seems to be reasonable prices as well. Now if he had a higher overhead and more employees it may be harder to keep that up.

So.. they have a business plan that gives them less potential customers (no drive thru), people spending less time in a restaurant which leads to less dollars spent per visit (seated customers order more)... less time selling (leading to less sales) with the same rent/lease/mortgage expense...

Don't sound like a smart restaurant business plan to me

Seating increases costs, rent, re taxes, Maint, utilities etc. drive thru and in and out is where the real profits are.

Oops, responded to wrong post. My bad

Last edited:
tumblr_m3mn94gx4E1r2uu3so1_400.jpg

Wow.. a political speech to gather votes... yep.. that sells it :rolleyes:

Unskilled labor of the lowest level and you should NOT be making enough to support a family, or have a place of your on, or buy a new car, etc.. it should allow you enough to feed yourself, share a place to live with others, etc... more than that, you better gain some skills, market yourself, or work a 2nd or 3rd job...

Yeah. Let's take advise from FDR who averaged 20% unemployment over his first two terms.

Biggest fail ever

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

Unskilled labor of the lowest level and you should NOT be making enough to support a family, or have a place of your on, or buy a new car, etc.. it should allow you enough to feed yourself, share a place to live with others, etc... more than that, you better gain some skills, market yourself, or work a 2nd or 3rd job...

Yeah. Let's take advise from FDR who averaged 20% unemployment over his first two terms.

Biggest fail ever

Yes, high unemployment due to the Depression brought on by Hoover, thus the name Hoovervilles, depicting camps of homeless.

Biggest fail ever

Yes, high unemployment due to the Depression brought on by Hoover, thus the name Hoovervilles, depicting camps of homeless.

FDR had 2 whole terms and averaged 20% unemployment, had he ended his term like any other President he'd be the biggest fail ever

Last edited:

You obviously do not understand the restaurant business. Most restaurants look to keep their hourly payroll between 20 to 25 percent of sales. They schedule enough employees for their peak periods and cut them loose once things slow down. Ten employees can easily push out $600 to $750 worth of food per hour. If they are well trained, they should be able to do $1000 per hour during peak periods. Have you ever been to a "Five Guys" during lunch?

Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

Feel free to eat there, just remember to pack heat.

EDITORIAL: Detroit police chief wants citizens to arm themselves - Washington Times

Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

Feel free to eat there, just remember to pack heat.

EDITORIAL: Detroit police chief wants citizens to arm themselves - Washington Times

Great job! You advanced the discussion! Congratulations.

Biggest fail ever

Except Hoover had nothing to do with it. Jesus pick up a book,

IMO the thing to do is raise minimum wage so it is a living wage. I don't think unskilled workers should be paid more than minimum wage, but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc. Beyond that, if someone wants more, they need to learn a trade or skill, something marketable. One very simple way of doing that is doing temp work: many temp jobs lead to full-time work, and the time you spend doing the temp work is on the job training. It's really simple, but most people don't seem to get it. When I was doing general office work as a temp, if you work hard and are a good employee, they keep you on and train you for something better. One time I had a job selling something over the phone for Wards. I am a terrible salesperson and didn't want to stay, but one day, by a miracle, I sold a big item, and when I wanted to quit, the company was begging me to stay on and be a full time employee and sales person. I declined. But, the point is, if you do temp work and are found to be a good employee by the company where you are temping, they will very often want to keep you and train you up to better positions.

IMO the thing to do is raise minimum wage so it is a living wage. I don't think unskilled workers should be paid more than minimum wage, but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc. Beyond that, if someone wants more, they need to learn a trade or skill, something marketable. One very simple way of doing that is doing temp work: many temp jobs lead to full-time work, and the time you spend doing the temp work is on the job training. It's really simple, but most people don't seem to get it. When I was doing general office work as a temp, if you work hard and are a good employee, they keep you on and train you for something better. One time I had a job selling something over the phone for Wards. I am a terrible salesperson and didn't want to stay, but one day, by a miracle, I sold a big item, and when I wanted to quit, the company was begging me to stay on and be a full time employee and sales person. I declined. But, the point is, if you do temp work and are found to be a good employee by the company where you are temping, they will very often want to keep you and train you up to better positions.

Define living wage, define decent housing, transportation, food, clothing.

Everyone throws out buzz words, however, it is board and general terms that seem to be defined individually.

Define living wage, define decent housing, transportation, food, clothing.

Everyone throws out buzz words, however, it is board and general terms that seem to be defined individually.

It's not at all complicated. Experts have been assessing cost of living for as long as I can remember. Cost of living analysis is not the problem here.

Forum List

Back