Things the left poo-poo'ed...

...that the current circumstances proved them wrong about.

Prepping.

Guns.

Hunting.

City living.

Individualism.

Masculinity.

The Midwest.

Add your own...

How 'bout....

Sweeping generalization fallacies

/thread
Bah...if you want to start a "things the left got right" have at it.

These aren't sweeping generalizations...they are recurring themes. I don't hold it against you personally Pogo...but denying the fact that the left has looked down their collective noses at us...how does the left like to put it?...the "uneducated rubes clinging to their Bibles and guns"...I'd say this thread is a pretty fair assessment.
Things the left got right

Medicare
Social Security
Family Medical Leave
Civil Rights
Voting Rights
Labor Rights
Environmental Protection
GI Bill/VA Loans
Pell Grants
Consumer Protections
Anti-Trust Laws
Opposing the Iraq War Invasion
Being Against Bush
Being Against McCain/Palin
Being Against Romney/Ryan
/----/ Nixon signed the Clean Water and Clean Air Act and he created the EPA. The democRATs filibustered the CRA and VRA - and np they didn't magically become Republicans overnight. And the rest were bipartisan efforts. Your last three are idiotic. The Left was for Hildabeast but dumped her for Obama.

Last edited:
If I did that I'd be guilty of the same fallacy you just did.

I don't believe in lumping people into labels. People are individuals with free will. Dehumanizing them is just counterproductive, useless and stupid. That's where "tribes" comes from. This shit does nothing to help.

It is productive and it does help.

It plants the seeds of doubt in an ideology. It forces people to question their infallibility. If, in their smug superiority, they were convinced of the righteousness of their cause but were wrong...it makes them wonder if the wisdom of their tribe is actually wisdom at all. Perhaps the pragmatism of the conservative that was proven useful here may prove equally useful when extend to other facets of life.

IMO, that is extremely helpful.

Here's why that's not valid, and it's excruciatingly simple.

You're presupposing that people of Tribe X "ARE" the ideology. And they ain't. By trying to shoehorn whoever you've labeled INTO whatever ideology you imagine, you've shut your ears from their voices AND you've appended ideologies to them that they don't hold and may never have even thought about. If I had a dime for every time that shit was hung on me here I could buy the Taj Mahal.

It's effectively going :lalala: and as noted at the outset, that's useless. People are individuals and there's no way around that.

Want some examples? Look no further than right here on this page:

"Liberal" isn't a label.

It's a condemnation.
"Liberal" isn't a label.

It's a condemnation.

Look on the bright side, all these antiviral drugs may cure the liberal virus.

That gets us ------------ where?

EDIT - for another example, read the post immediately before this one. It apparently wants to equate "Nixon" with "the right", on the basis of nothing. Nothing but this obstinate need to dichotomize everything. Again --- useless.

Last edited:
This is not a "Dem Hoax"
It's not "just a cold"
It's not the flu
We DO need to lock down
We CAN'T reopen any time soon

You got it wrong because you listened to Trump. He tells you what he thinks you want to hear, and worse...he acts as he thinks you want to act.
Doing the right thing is hard folks. Trump doesn't care about doing the right thing
Please stop listening to him.
He still doesn't get it

At least until the economy crashes, then it's all Trump's fault, amirite?

I don't believe in lumping people into labels. People are individuals with free will. Dehumanizing them is just counterproductive, useless and stupid. That's where "tribes" comes from. This shit does nothing to help.

It plants the seeds of doubt in an ideology. It forces people to question their infallibility. If, in their smug superiority, they were convinced of the righteousness of their cause but were wrong...it makes them wonder if the wisdom of their tribe is actually wisdom at all. Perhaps the pragmatism of the conservative that was proven useful here may prove equally useful when extend to other facets of life.

You're presupposing that people of Tribe X "ARE" the ideology. And they ain't. By trying to shoehorn whoever you've labeled INTO whatever ideology you imagine, you've shut your ears from their voices AND you've appended ideologies to them that they don't hold and may never have even thought about. If I had a dime for every time that shit was hung on me here I could buy the Taj Mahal.

It's effectively going :lalala: and as noted at the outset, that's useless. People are individuals and there's no way around that.

Not at all. I think individuals are capable of discerning at whom the message is directed.

What you're describing is like what Ricky Gervais said... seeing a flier for guitar lessons and furiously yelling "I don't want any fucking guitar lessons!!!"...if it's obviously not meant for you...just walk away.

The majority of those infected with this nasty flu will experience symptoms of a common cold.
Still with that dismissive bullshit?

SIX THOUSAND people are already dead from that cold.

Hospitals are near crashing...with that cold
The flu kills FAR more than 6k every year. Fortunately, the vast majority of those who get this flu will only have to suffer the symptoms of a common cold.
You literally have no clue do you.

Not at all. I think individuals are capable of discerning at whom the message is directed.

What you're describing is like what Ricky Gervais said... seeing a flier for guitar lessons and furiously yelling "I don't want any fucking guitar lessons!!!"...if it's obviously not meant for you...just walk away.

That's not analogous at all. "Guitar lessons" would be an OFFER.

The analogy would be more like declaring as a fact that "you want guitar lessons and if you don't show up for them you've cheated me". You're taking the voice of choice away from the other party. That's useless.

It comes down to this ---- no one gets to dick-tate to someone else, what their ideology is. Only that person can do that.

He called SOMETHING a Hoax.

What exactly?

The Dems warnings about the virus. Warnings that should have been heeded...obviously

THAT is what he called a hoax.

Which led YOU folks to not take it seriously
I don't know what you're talking about. We were prepared before you knew you needed more toilet paper. My wife and family were self quarantined in late February.

I haven't been within 6 feet of them, or set foot in my own house for over a month.

What he said was criticizing every step he took...like when he was called a racist for restricting travel from China the limit the virus was the Democrats new hoax...like the three years we spent on the Russian Collusion Hoax...and the time we wasted on the Impeachment Hoax.

No matter what Trump did or does, the Democrats will find an angle to criticize it...they don't care about right or wrong...only achieving power.
What a clown act the pig tried to lie his way out of this for 6 weeks telling everyone it was Obama's fault and just a democratic plot or he had taken care of it because he was a genius and it was no problem Or like the brain dead here, its just the flue. Now if you like I can put together a video of all his lies ,distortions and stupidity that came out of this pigs mouth about this virus.

had everything continued as it was, it was my devout belief that eventually we were going to lose the gun control battle.

Whatr exactly does "losing the gun battle" look like. I posit that it simply means we end up with sensible gun regs and a ban on assault rifles. If that's "losing" we all win. I am by the way...a gun owner.
That depends entirely on what you think the gun control battle was about.

Exactly
I support the 2nd 100% and own guns and have a license to carry and I'm a hater of the NRA and their Nazi forces. These red neck Gun Bubbas thinking you can't regulate the second are clowns and no one is trying to get rid of the right to own guns. That's just stupidity from a group that is literally brain dead.

I get a kick out of the fact that the right is so willing to show the world how stupid they are, with their simple minded answers to questions that they have no clue at all about.

The analogy would be more like declaring as a fact that "you want guitar lessons and if you don't show up for them you've cheated me". You're taking the voice of choice away from the other party. That's useless.

It comes down to this ---- no one gets to dick-tate to someone else, what their ideology is. Only that person can do that.
Which is why the OP wasn't directed at individuals...but at the left as a whole.

I am a pro-union Republican...does that mean criticism of the Republican party for being anti-union is suddenly verboten?

That's complete and utter foolishness.

...that the current circumstances proved them wrong about.

Prepping.

Guns.

Hunting.

City living.

Individualism.

Masculinity.

The Midwest.

Add your own...
/———/ And this:
After mocking Trump for promoting hydroxychloroquine, journalists acknowledge it might treat coronavirus

Good. Trump deserves to be mocked. His statements were absurd. So is this article which is a complete snow job of any factual information.

Which is why the OP wasn't directed at individuals...but at the left as a whole.

I am a pro-union Republican...does that mean criticism of the Republican party for being anti-union is suddenly verboten?

There is no "the left" or "the right", without individuals. You're imagining an abstract that can't be abstracted.

For the second line, such criticism would also be invalid, unless it can be shown to be universal among, in this case, "Republicans". As long as it cannot, it can't work. See also "Nixon" above.

I get a kick out of the fact that the right is so willing to show the world how stupid they are, with their simple minded answers to questions that they have no clue at all about.
Irony.
Look in a mirror real closely and try to think, maybe you will see yourself the way everyone else who can think sees you. NOW THAT'S IRONY!!!
No, it isn't. But it does illustrate my point incredibly effectively. I greatly appreciate your unwitting cooperation.

There is no "the left" or "the right", without individuals. You're imagining an abstract that can't be abstracted.

For the second line, such criticism would also be invalid, unless it can be shown to be universal among, in this case, "Republicans". As long as it cannot, it can't work. See also "Nixon" above.

Let me get this straight... there is no leftist ideology nor conservative ideology unless everyone agrees universally on every point. In that case why do we have a left and a right at all, since they can't possibly exist? I cannot ignore them...because they aren't really there at all. So the question becomes...why are you defending that which cannot exist?

Let me get this straight... there is no leftist ideology nor conservative ideology unless everyone agrees universally on every point. In that case why do we have a left and a right at all, since they can't possibly exist? I cannot ignore them...because they aren't really there at all. So the question becomes...why are you defending that which cannot exist?

You had it, up to the last line.

I'm not defending that which does not exist. YOU are.

Here's where I think this concept goes off the tracks:
We use "left" and "right" after the seating arrangement of the French National Assembly, royalists on the right, republicans on the left, by analogy. That's (semi-)valid as adjectives, in order to describe a "leftist ideology" or a "far-right philosophy". The pitfall comes when we anthropomorphize that into a NOUN --- "the left" and "the right" as people, which is an impossible application.

Thus the use as a human collective noun by definition degrades into a Sweeping Generalization Fallacy, which is, to return to the beginning, useless.

We see it on this board every day. "The left" wants this, "the right" said that. Both of those are impossibilities.

Last edited:
You got it wrong at almost every turn

This is not a "Dem Hoax"

You know that isn't true, right?

From left leaning Snopes:

"Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax."

Snopes is considered conservative to start with, do you want a video put together of his 6 weeks lying through his teeth about the virus. The mans a pig and you can't polish up a pig. He thought that he could lie his way out of the virus problem but for the first time in office found out he couldn't , so he switched gears but during everyone of this pigs lies , he was told by every person on his staff the complete oposite. He went with the lies because he has a captive group following him that he has lied to none stop since the first day he was in office. They were selected by him for their hate and lack of intelligence.

Snopes is considered "Conservative"? Not so much Alice.

Forum List

Back