The USMB Cookbook

No but it serves in a pinch.

I'm big on the dumplings, could care less about the chicken...so when I'm desperate for it and nobody with discerning taste is around, I cheat...

I use the boxed chicken broth, put it in a pan, throw in some dumplings and VOILA! Chicken dumplings!

No chicken of course, and it's not quite as good...but still, it's closer than soup and goldfish!

I know, what's with the weather? It figures that as soon as I FINALLY gear up to ride it gets all blustery and yucky.

Bucking weather for horses.

I've had roast cooked in a crockpot with 2 ltrs of pepsi in it. It was very very good.

I usually use a few 22s of a red lager.

I think you could cook a good roast with strawberry jam and it would still turn out fine.

jam is probably a lil bit more viscous than a lager......

I made Chicken alfredo last weekend, as a matter of fact. I have a pic i'll have to post. A nice Missouri semi-dry white table wine. hmmmmmm...

Wine is like anything else. one of those eye of the beholder things. But, I'm a big fan. I can list some good bottles, IMHO, if you are interested.

I enjoy the fact that America has options outside of over hyped European bottles. I'd like to see Missouri take the same path as California. We have a lot of vinyards. The Norton grape is big around here.

Wine is like anything else. one of those eye of the beholder things. But, I'm a big fan. I can list some good bottles, IMHO, if you are interested.

I enjoy the fact that America has options outside of over hyped European bottles. I'd like to see Missouri take the same path as California. We have a lot of vineyards. The Norton grape is big around here.

Hey Shogun, would you link some wineries there you think we may like? It's only a 5 hour drive from Indy, that would make a cool weekend trip sometime.

I enjoy the fact that America has options outside of over hyped European bottles. I'd like to see Missouri take the same path as California. We have a lot of vineyards. The Norton grape is big around here.

Hey Shogun, would you link some wineries there you think we may like? It's only a 5 hour drive from Indy, that would make a cool weekend trip sometime.

Google is a wonderful thing. :cool:

Missouri Wines

Google is a wonderful thing. :cool:

Missouri Wines

Thanks mom!

I thought since Shogun LIVED THERE, he would know of the best ones............. :booze:

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Here is our favorite holiday dish.

Maryland Stuffed Ham

1 butt or shank ham (determine size needed based on number of servings)
1 Extra large head of cabbage
1 large Vadilia onion
Pepper to taste
Celery and or carrots (optional)

Parboil the ham for 20 minutes, remove from water to cool and discard water.
Cut cabbage and onion into one inch pieces and add pepper to taste.
Cut large slits in the ham, down to the bone and stuff with cabbage/onion mixture.
Wrap ham and remaining cabbage/onion mix in cheese cloth, boil covered in water for 20 minutes per lb.
When done remove from cheese cloth and watch the meat literally fall off the bone.
Serve with mashed taters, vegitable of your choice and rolls.

For the mashed potatoes I make a chicken broth based gravy in a roux, add poultry seasoning and about 1/4 cup of water from the ham broth for a distinctive flavor to compliment the ham.

Xotoxi's Toast

1 piece of bread
toaster
spread of your choice (butter, jam, peanut butter)

1. Insert bread in toaster and lower the toaster mechanism
2. After waiting for a while, pop the bread up and check to see if it is toast.
3. If not, plug in toaster and re-lower the toaster mechanism.
4. After toast pops up, remove.
5. Apply the spread of your choice.
6. Eat and enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrF_K1w2haE]YouTube - The Toast Song[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfMmPpNhOVM[/ame]

Last edited:
Here is my favorite recipe for:

Huevos Rancheros.

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Flour
Chopped medium onion
1 can green chili (chopped)
2 chopped medium tomatoes
1 crushed clove garlic (if desired)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. water
1 bouillon cube (beef or chicken,which ever preferred)
6 tortillas
1 1/2 c. grated cheese (any variety)
6 eggs (fried, poached or scrambled)
Shredded lettuce (garnish)
Tomato wedges (garnish)

In saucepan,combine butter and flour..mix. Then add in onion,green chili,tomatoes and garlic. Saute until onion is clear. Add in salt,water and bouillon to preceeding ingredients,mix until disolved. Simmer for 10 min. Prepare eggs. On plate, place tortilla,eggs and top with sauce and cheese. Garnish with lettuce and tomato wedges.

this is very simple and many might already know it but I take one can of tuna, add a spoon full of mayo, squirt some mustard in it, add some salt and pepper. add a bunch of pickels and then Put it on bread or eat it with saltines. I love it for lunch with a glass of milk.

Another good one:

Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb large shrimp
8 oz fresh broccoli,cut in small pieces
2 (8oz) cans bamboo shoots,thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/8 tsp pepper.

Heat oil in wok (or large skillet) over high heat. Add shrimp and stir fry until pink (aprox 3 min). Add broccoli (cook for 1 min). Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots (cook for 1 min). Combine remaning ingredients in small bowl;mix well. Pour over shrimp-veggie mixture. Cook and stir well,until sauce boils and thickens (aprox 2 min). Makes 4 servings.

I make this one alot...because it's easy (yep, I'm kinda lazy).:eusa_shhh:

Beer Bread

3 Cups self rising flour
3 TBSP Sugar ( I usually add more, because I like it better sweet).
12 oz beer (any brand).

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Place in loaf pan and bake for 45 min in oven at 375 (bread should look like a bisquit and be golden brown on top when done.)

Okay one more...

Pina Colada Cake

1 white cake mix
2 c coconut
1 can cream of coconut
1 (20 oz) crushed pineapple
1 (8 oz) Cool Whip (or more if desired)

Prepare cake as directed on box,adding one cup coconut. Bake until done. While cake is hot,poke holes with fork and pour cream of coconut over the top. Cool. Drain pineapple and spread over cake. Add one cup coconut to cool whip. Spread over cake. Refrigerate.

Pretty sure I was supposed to post this for Terry some time back, but, ummm ... well, I excel at procrastination (everyone needs a hobby) and didn't do it then. So I'll add it to the cookbook and perhaps someone else will enjoy it as well. :)

Rhubarb Crunch

Mix together:
3 Cups diced rhubarb
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Cup sugar

Spread in greased baking dish

Topping:
1 Cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Cups flour
1 Cup oatmeal
1 Cup margarine/butter
1/2 to 1 Cup chopped nuts

Cream margarine/butter and sugar. Add flour and oatmeal. Mix well until crumbly. Add nuts.
Spread evenly over rhubarb.
Bake for 35 min. at 375 F. (check after 25 min.)
Top with whipped cream or ice cream. :eusa_drool:

This recipe is for a 8 x 11 x 2 pan. Double the recipe for 9 x 13.

Spicy Broccoli Fettucini

Dinner in an jiff!!

Serves 3-4

Prep time: 3-5 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients:
Fettucini noodles
1 pound of broccoli florets (I use the frozen kind)
extra virgin olive oil
butter
salt
Black pepper
garlic (either a quarter of a garlic minced, or just use garlic seasoning and sprinkle at will)
crushed red pepper- about a tablespoon
pine nuts (just a small package) OR you can use a cheaper nut or skip the nuts and use whatever protein you like- sliced or chopped chicken breasts work well, too- sparingly
Mozzarella cheese (or any soft white cheese you prefer)

Directions:
First, boil water in a large pot, and add the fettucini noodles. I usually snap the noodles in half first, because it is easier to avoid slurping them this way
Add a half teaspoon of salt to the water.
Stir occassionally.
Puncture a few holes in the top of the bag of frozen Broccoli florets and microwave for 2 minutes or just use the defrost feature on your microwave

Stirring occassionally (every few minutes):
Into the skillet go the defrosted broccoli florets
Add the olive oil, a dash of black pepper, garlic, and crushed red pepper

Cook on a medium to medium low heat for about 10-12 minutes.
When broccoli appears done, remove from heat.

MEANWHILE- before you finish with the broccoli, it helps to toast the nuts, if you are going to use them, also. You can do this in a separate skillet, on medium heat for just a few minutes.

When fettucini is done, remove from heat, and DRAIN. Do not rinse the noodles!!

TOSS fettucini in butter (a tablespoon is generally adequate, and I tend to do it over the sink, while it is still in the colander)

Serving/ Garnishing:
Serve broccoli florets over fettucini. Sprinkle cheese on top. Garnish with pine nuts..

It is a marvelous dish. VERY tasty!!! =) Yummmm :p

Last edited:

Forum List

Back