The US will lose in a war against North Korea, a former Pentagon commander warns

"The 28,500 U.S. Armed Forces personnel in South Korea are vastly outnumbered by North Korean forces, as well as [South Korean] forces that will conduct the overwhelming majority of the fighting. Unlike every conflict since the last Korean War, we will not be able to build up our forces prior to the start of hostilities," Jouas wrote in a November 7 letter obtained by Newsweek to several Democratic members of Congress. It's estimated North Korea has roughly 1.2 million troops.

The idiot thinks the entire war would be fought using the troops stationed there. Just shows that the Pentagon has idiots the moronic MSM loves to use.

And seems to dismiss the South Korean troops for some reason.
And the B-1 and B-2 bombers stationed in Guam, three carrier fleets off the coast and who knows how many missile subs off the coast. Probably 100 nukes could be used within the first hour if push came to shove.
We could defeat them without resorting to nukes
If NK uses just one, it will get messy very fast. One B-2 alone can carry 16 nukes.

Wow- its like you play a perverse 'phone' tag.

Basque: The U.S. will lose war says general
Newsweek headline: The US could lose war says general
Article: General never says U.S. would- or could lose war.

Why didn't Basque quote the article? Did Basque even read the article?

Nothing in this article is new- or unexpected

If a conflict between North Korea and the United States suddenly broke out, U.S. troops in South Korea would be "outnumbered" and undersupplied, warns Lt. Gen. Jan-Marc Jouas, the former deputy commander of U.S. Forces in Korea.

"The 28,500 U.S. Armed Forces personnel in South Korea are vastly outnumbered by North Korean forces, as well as [South Korean] forces that will conduct the overwhelming majority of the fighting. Unlike every conflict since the last Korean War, we will not be able to build up our forces prior to the start of hostilities," Jouas wrote in a November 7 letter obtained by Newsweek to several Democratic members of Congress. It's estimated North Korea has roughly 1.2 million troops.

According to Jouas, it would take days to months for the necessary U.S. reinforcements, supplies and equipment to reach the Korean Peninsula. Once the troops finally arrive, Jouas added, "they may well find their bases subject to attack by conventional or chemical weapons, which will further delay their entry into the war."

Jouas also highlighted the risk a conflict would pose to both South Korean and American civilians living in the region. He said it would take "days" to eliminate North Korean artillery, rockets and missiles that threaten the South Korean capital of Seoul, which is home to 25 million people. Meanwhile, "an enormous casualty and evacuee crisis will develop and include over a hundred thousand non-combatant Americans, many of who will turn to U.S. forces to get them off the peninsula," Jouas added.

He also warned that the protection of South Korean civilians and evacuation of U.S. civilians would be "significantly complicated" by the "expected use" of nuclear and chemical weapons by Kim Jong Un's regime.

The idiot thinks the entire war would be fought using the troops stationed there. Just shows that the Pentagon has idiots the moronic MSM loves to use.

And the B-1 and B-2 bombers stationed in Guam, three carrier fleets off the coast and who knows how many missile subs off the coast. Probably 100 nukes could be used within the first hour if push came to shove.

The South Koreans alone should be able to handle the poorly equipped masses of the North KOreans.

Are troops are stationed there to show that we are willing to fight CHINA, if it comes to that.
While the numbers may be close, South Korea is vastly superior in their modern equipment, training, air power and quality of their forces

Kim Jong Un is counting on his ability to give them a bloody nose as a deterrent to fighting

Primarily by the threat of his artillery to Seoul.

The South Koreans were stupid to not have moved their capital.
Hard to do

Easier to keep the peace

South Korea is prepared. NK will not be able to invade very far.
th

th

th

th

The South Koreans alone should be able to handle the poorly equipped masses of the North KOreans.

Are troops are stationed there to show that we are willing to fight CHINA, if it comes to that.
While the numbers may be close, South Korea is vastly superior in their modern equipment, training, air power and quality of their forces

Kim Jong Un is counting on his ability to give them a bloody nose as a deterrent to fighting

Hard to do

Easier to keep the peace

Not really hard to do, if they had started 50 years agol

And keeping the peace would be nerve racking if Kim had less leverage.

There is little doubt that the US could, in the long run, defeat the NK military. The question is what would that "victory" look like. Particularly to the SK civilian population. Seoul would be a steaming pile of rubble, and that's from conventional weapons.

Having said that, one has to wonder if the north could attack the south "out of the blue", if you will. While the north's forces are obviously aligned against the south, I would think there would be telltale signs. I'll also second what others have said in this thread and that's that the SK military is not to be trifled with. I know a number of people that have trained with SK forces and to a man they would stand shoulder to shoulder with SK troops above any other except the brits.

Hard to do

Easier to keep the peace

Not really hard to do, if they had started 50 years agol

And keeping the peace would be nerve racking if Kim had less leverage.
Given the threat, I would imagine Seoul has underground bunkers to withstand bombardment

Last edited:
Wow, we have highly qualified arm chair military geniuses right here on USMB, who don't need the any experience or the on ground intelligence of planning any scenarios of attempting of invading North Korea.
But Lt. Gen. Jan-Marc Jouas has.
"From January 2012 to 2014, Jouas was intimately involved in formulating plans to counter a North Korean attack on South Korea. "This threat was the most dangerous I’d faced since the end of the Cold War, and planning for it the most challenging problem I’d encountered in my 35-year career," he said."
We might not lose the war, but the causalities, would number in the tens of millions (which would include tens of thousands of American troops and citizens. and that's just on the Korean peninsula. NK could nuke Japan and other Asian targets.
When I see arm chair generals with absolutely zero experience in planning military actions, criticizing a general who was in charge of the military in Korea, it's clear to these fools are complete idiots.
Un-fucking believable.
the general is the dumbass
He said it would take "days" to eliminate North Korean artillery, rockets and missiles that threaten the South Korean capital of Seoul, which is home to 25 million people.

if they are using arty/rockets, and missiles on Seoul, that means the SK and US forces will move and destroy the NK military faster---get it???!!!???
he says they are going to use their military might against Seoul instead of the attacking military force???
yeah--he's a smart guy

you know I see this crap in other forums.......you think the US and SK will be like snowmen--just sitting there doing nothing

Wow, we have highly qualified arm chair military geniuses right here on USMB, who don't need the any experience or the on ground intelligence of planning any scenarios of attempting of invading North Korea.
"From January 2012 to 2014, Jouas was intimately involved in formulating plans to counter a North Korean attack on South Korea. "This threat was the most dangerous I’d faced since the end of the Cold War, and planning for it the most challenging problem I’d encountered in my 35-year career," he said."
We might not lose the war, but the causalities, would number in the tens of millions (which would include tens of thousands of American troops and citizens. and that's just on the Korean peninsula. NK could nuke Japan and other Asian targets.
When I see arm chair generals with absolutely zero experience in planning military actions, criticizing a general who was in charge of the military in Korea, it's clear to these fools are complete idiots.
Un-fucking believable.
He said it would take "days" to eliminate North Korean artillery, rockets and missiles that threaten the South Korean capital of Seoul, which is home to 25 million people.

if they are using arty/rockets, and missiles on Seoul, that means the SK and US forces will move and destroy the NK military faster---get it???!!!???
he says they are going to use their military might against Seoul instead of the attacking military force???
yeah--he's a smart guy

you know I see this crap in other forums.......you think the US and SK will be like snowmen--just sitting there doing nothing
We are very adept at quickly locating where artillery fire is coming from

Un-fucking believable.

yeah--he's a smart guy

It won't be quick enough to stop NK from flattening Seoul first.

The liberal alliance with North Korea might well provide enough support to cause us to lose a conflict. After all, it was the left that caused our loss in Vietnam. They could well repeat their success with North Korea.
Yep, the lefty jerks believed the bullshit comrade Cronkite fed them about getting our asses kicked during Tet meant it was over, an unwinable war.
Except the opposition generals thought they had lost the war because we so thoroughly kicked their asses during Tet.
Cronkite was right

Saved lives
What comrade Cronkite said was the gooks' Tet offensive kicked our ass, and nothing, according to the North's generals, could have been further from the truth. They were on the balls of their ass and looking at defeat until the comrade's inaccurate opinion of the circumstances swayed public and political opinion. So wallow away in your make-believe world of lefty idiocy. We expect nothing less.

Un-fucking believable.

yeah--he's a smart guy

I'm not sure about flattening
They can do significant damage. I imagine they have substantial bomb shelters to withstand bombardment
The retaliation against the north would be mind boggling

The liberal alliance with North Korea might well provide enough support to cause us to lose a conflict. After all, it was the left that caused our loss in Vietnam. They could well repeat their success with North Korea.
Yep, the lefty jerks believed the bullshit comrade Cronkite fed them about getting our asses kicked during Tet meant it was over, an unwinable war.
Except the opposition generals thought they had lost the war because we so thoroughly kicked their asses during Tet.
Cronkite was right

Saved lives
What comrade Cronkite said was the gooks' Tet offensive kicked our ass, and nothing, according to the North's generals, could have been further from the truth. They were on the balls of their ass and looking at defeat until the comrade's inaccurate opinion of the circumstances swayed public and political opinion. So wallow away in your make-believe world of lefty idiocy. We expect nothing less.
He never said that
He said he doubted the war was winnable. He was correct
They were willing to out wait us.......and they did

Slaughtering 60,000 troops was not necessary

Un-fucking believable.

yeah--he's a smart guy

The artillery would be neutralized quick, and from what I read the flattening of Seoul just isn't possible

Cronkite was right

Saved lives
He never said that
He said he doubted the war was winnable. He was correct
They were willing to out wait us.......and they did

Slaughtering 60,000 troops was not necessary
exactly
it was like the Revolutionary war---the NVs didn't have to win--just not lose
even if we did invade the North--they could out wait us

and SV had like 3 different political leader changes in less than 2 years--and that's not counting other planned/attempted coups
they MURDERED President Diem and his brother--nice, democratic, civilized politics there!!!
I don't see how the US couldn't see -- in 1963!--that it was going to be very hard to help SV from collapsing

it takes a looong time to overcome the kind of corruption/politics/etc that SV had

Last edited:
Un-fucking believable.

yeah--he's a smart guy

The artillery would be neutralized quick, and from what I read the flattening of Seoul just isn't possible
Its worse than you probably think. This is a good article about NKs artillery and its threat against Seoul.

North Korea's Simple But Deadly Artillery Holds Seoul And U.S. Hostage

When I was over there I was told we were nothing but a speed bump that N. Korea would hit on the way to Seoul. The ROK soilders are probably way better equipped to handle war with the north than we are.
They could mount an initial attack
But they lack the logistics to maintain an invasion. We would cut off their limited supples and they would quickly run out of fuel, food and ammunition

Na, the US would just move the invading soldiers to sanctuary cities where the American tax payer can cloth and feed them and they would just go native and vote Dim.

I'm not sure who would win at that point though.

Have you losers won one since you lost in 1953 ?
You flag waving unsure of gender assholes haven't" won" anything since WW1 and that's debatable. C'mon man. Ya been warring since 2003 with guys who wear robes and don't even have a fucking airplane. Whos kidding who ?

Forum List

Back