The unity of Christianity

DOTR

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2016
The ancient faith of Christianity is the largest religion in the world. But it is also a religion divided into many denominations. However when you look at it Christians share an incredible unity of belief despite surface differences.

Christians throughout both time and space share:

The Trinity
The holiness of the Bible
baptism and communion
The virgin birth
The resurrection of Jesus
The immortality of the soul
A last judgement
The eventual return of Christ
Heaven and hell
Sin and the forgiveness of sin
The efficacy of Prayer
The resurrection of believers

Any more? I am sure I’ve left some out. We should remember those similarities. The differences are minor in comparison.

The ancient faith of Christianity is the largest religion in the world. But it is also a religion divided into many denominations. However when you look at it Christians share an incredible unity of belief despite surface differences.

The Trinity
baptism and communion
The virgin birth
A last judgement
Heaven and hell
The efficacy of Prayer

Any more? I am sure I’ve left some out. We should remember those similarities. The differences are minor in comparison.

Agreed. Non-believers don't understand this and forever want to harp on the "denominations" but in reality the differences are often very small, and Christians readily recognize almost all other denominations as Christian. With a few notable exceptions.

Have you ever wondered about an Eskimo, a native American Indian, an Africa or South American native, and what they believed as they surely out number all modern religions. They all lived knowing nothing of Christianity or any other faith and yet they lived just as we do. Book at bottom is fascinating, read it sometime on a primitive tribe in South America.

Oldest religions:

The 8 Oldest Religions in the World

Interesting read:

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle by Daniel L. Everett

"For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere. "Blessed are the merciful" in a courtroom? "Blessed are the peacemakers" in the Pentagon? Give me a break!" Kurt Vonnegut

Have you ever wondered about an Eskimo, a native American Indian, an Africa or South American native, and what they believed as they surely out number all modern religions. They all lived knowing nothing of Christianity or any other faith and yet they lived just as we do. Book at bottom is fascinating, read it sometime on a primitive tribe in South America.

Oldest religions:

Interesting read:

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle by Daniel L. Everett

"For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere. "Blessed are the merciful" in a courtroom? "Blessed are the peacemakers" in the Pentagon? Give me a break!" Kurt Vonnegut

And they even get them wrong.

The Trinity
baptism and communion
The virgin birth
A last judgement
Heaven and hell
The efficacy of Prayer

The truth of the Logos which permeates and founds and is the bedrock of benevolent human life. Logos is logic, dialogue (true speech and honest communication), wisdom of eons of human learning, fact and the righteousness of rectitude.

Last edited:

Oldest religions:

Interesting read:

Interesting pacifier you've got for yourself there. No one else I am certain, has ever thought of using Eskimos as anti-Christian HE rounds, before you.

no they dont....accept othe demoninations as christian....the southern baptist do not accept anyone else hardly

Southern Baptists are some of the least ecumenical people on Earth. But they do accept other Christians. I was Southern Baptist most of my life. Some converts could enter just by walking in (from churches that practice immersion). Some simply he had to be rebaptised (churches that sprinkle).

`
Christianity has a rich, dark, red history of war and butchering each other.

If they do its distant history. Ive never seen any butchering.

They like to blame Christian theology for pagan redneck partying by local yahoos, i.e. feudal lords, rampaging drunken pagan peasants, etc. Apparently the fact that even a thin influence of Christian theology dramatically reduced violence rampant in pagan 'culture', and never increased it.

no they dont....accept othe demoninations as christian....the southern baptist do not accept anyone else hardly

Southern Baptists are some of the least ecumenical people on Earth. But they do accept other Christians. I was Southern Baptist most of my life. Some converts could enter just by walking in (from churches that practice immersion). Some simply he had to be rebaptised (churches that sprinkle).

Yes, Baptists are actually one of the more liberal and open sects, with few rules, just three or so, and are responsible for the separation of church and state clause, and as part of the 'Second Great Awakening' were staunch supporters of Thomas Jefferson.

The 'diversity' of sects merely represent a need for different kinds of ministries. Most accept the four Gospels and most of the rest of the books, which is a far better cohesion than you will ever get with assorted sexual deviants, atheists, sociopaths, and rotten spoiled little Burb Brats.

Oldest religions:

Interesting read:

I just love how those ancient religions sacrificed their children to the gods for good crops, success on the battle field, etc.

No need to feel so blue, we have abortion now so people can still benefit for their bottom line. After all, at one time children were necessary to work the fields and take care of you when you get old, but not today. Today, they are just flat out expensive!

`
Christianity has a rich, dark, red history of war and butchering each other.

Actually the Christian religion was left mostly blameless for some 300 years as those who clung to the religion were thrown to the lions, yet it grew and grew anyway.

Then Constantine came along and wanted power, and he noticed this rising religion, so he adopted it as his own to conquer with.

Constantine was not even a Christian, although it is rumored he converted on his death bed. No matter, he is credited with the formation of the Catholic church and the subsequent atrocities of Jewish persecution and Inquisitions, etc.

Christ said that his kingdom was not of this world, nor could be.

The Catholic church, however, did not get the memo. Instead, they created their own world empire with it's own little army and own political leaders, a clear subversion of the Christian faith.

Jews managed to do a lot of murdering and persecuting themselves for the next 1600 years from 0 A.D. themselves, and so did pagans. The old nonsense that Jews were just hapless innocent victims is rubbish for the most part. Jewish soldiers marched with the Muslim armies into Spain in 711, which was why there were so many there in the first place, and they were the garrison troops in several major cities for hundreds of years.They did very well from the looting.

The Inquisition was pretty mild compared to what Christians suffered under both Jews and Muslims, so I can't work up any tears for them, as they probably were a 'fifth column' the reconquestas just didn't want running around loose so soon after retaking Spain. The last two rulers of one the last Jewish kingdoms before the Islamic invasions started, in what is now Yemen, had steles made bragging about all the Christians they murdered during invasions into Arabia, 15,000 and 25,0000, respectively.

The Trinity
baptism and communion
The virgin birth
A last judgement
Heaven and hell
The efficacy of Prayer

Probably someone has mentioned this. Not all Christians believe in the Trinity.

Forum List

Back