The Reprehensible Right: Why is Florida’s unemployment such a disaster? Because it was meant to be.

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
“Tired of looking like the captain of a sinking ship, Gov. Ron DeSantis has called for an investigation into the state’s disastrous unemployment system.
[…]
Really, though, we already know why the system stinks: Because when Rick Scott and GOP legislators reworked the system in 2011, they wanted to stiff laid-off workers out of benefits, so businesses could pay lower taxes.

And everyone who has been in charge since — including DeSantis, whose administration was told by auditors that the system was a mess more than a year ago — was fine with that mess until now, when Floridians demanded accountability.”

Florida Republicans’ goal was to make applying for unemployment (called ‘re-employment’ by the Orwellian right) as difficult as possible, where applicants would simply give up pursuing their claim.

This is yet another example of Republicans incapable of sound, responsible governance, and that Republicans have no business holding elected office.

It should be difficult to apply for unemployment. The last time I signed up was in January 1982. I had to wait in line for 5 hours, in a crowded smoky filled room. People were allowed to smoke while they were waiting and many of them did. And that was for a stinking $190 a week. I really don't want to hear about others.

The idea of unemployment insurance is to make it inconvenient enough that people will be motivated to go out and get another job.

It should be difficult to apply for unemployment. The last time I signed up was in January 1982. I had to wait in line for 5 hours, in a crowded smoky filled room. People were allowed to smoke while they were waiting and many of them did. And that was for a stinking $190 a week. I really don't want to hear about others.

The idea of unemployment insurance is to make it inconvenient enough that people will be motivated to go out and get another job.
I was at the local office about that time to look for a job through Job Service....Before they would let me look through the job offerings they had, they made me waste the whole day applying for every form of handout available....After going through all the bureaucratic rigmarole, I finally got to look through their job listings....They had fewer than were in the daily newspaper.

Bureaucracy is total fuckery.

I was at the local office about that time to look for a job through Job Service....Before they would let me look through the job offerings they had, they made me waste the whole day applying for every form of handout available....After going through all the bureaucratic rigmarole, I finally got to look through their job listings....They had fewer than were in the daily newspaper.

Bureaucracy is total fuckery.

I can't blame the bureaucracy too much where I was at. The unemployment rate in the Youngstown Metropolitan area was north of 20% at the time . But friends of mine at the time told me how "easy" it was, I found it to be a drag. The only advantage was that after I was signed up, the bar across the street from the unemployment office offered a discount on beer if you showed proof you were signed up for checks.

“Tired of looking like the captain of a sinking ship, Gov. Ron DeSantis has called for an investigation into the state’s disastrous unemployment system.
[…]
Really, though, we already know why the system stinks: Because when Rick Scott and GOP legislators reworked the system in 2011, they wanted to stiff laid-off workers out of benefits, so businesses could pay lower taxes.

And everyone who has been in charge since — including DeSantis, whose administration was told by auditors that the system was a mess more than a year ago — was fine with that mess until now, when Floridians demanded accountability.”

Florida Republicans’ goal was to make applying for unemployment (called ‘re-employment’ by the Orwellian right) as difficult as possible, where applicants would simply give up pursuing their claim.

This is yet another example of Republicans incapable of sound, responsible governance, and that Republicans have no business holding elected office.
The majority of people living in, or planning to live in Florida are retired; they want low taxes and cheap foreign labor.
These people are wealthy Rs and Ds who have the above inclination in common...low taxes and cheap foreign labor.

[…]

Fuck off....for the 100th time.

Forum List

Back