The real death rate of COVID-19 in the U.S. may be 140 times smaller than what is being reported

How many dead from other causes? To the media everyone who dies has died from the virus. That can't be true and we are not told anything close to the truth.
God you're such a moron. You really are. You are the stereotype of a Deplorable. Dumb as a sack of rocks.
I'd ask you to do some research but you're incapable.
Sure, people are dying from other underlying causes - cancer, hypertension etc. But without coronavirus they would still be alive.
you don't know that poindexter. you don't know that at all. the flu kills more with sickness. uniformed hack you are.

Sure, it's just a coincidence that they are all dying now.
100's die every fking day across our land. dude, tell me you know that. I'm not going any further than there until you agree with that.

How many dead from other causes? To the media everyone who dies has died from the virus. That can't be true and we are not told anything close to the truth.
God you're such a moron. You really are. You are the stereotype of a Deplorable. Dumb as a sack of rocks.
Sure, people are dying from other underlying causes - cancer, hypertension etc. But without coronavirus they would still be alive.
you don't know that poindexter. you don't know that at all. the flu kills more with sickness. uniformed hack you are.

Plenty of people would be dying NOW. Even if there were no virus.

Right, they stack bodies in meat trucks all the time and set up hospitals in Central Park.

You really haven't run out of hooch yet, have ya'?
didn't they do that under obammy during 2009? How honest are you, I guess will see.

This should drive the hysteria mongers crazy. How are they going to generate hysteria about a disease that is less serious than the flu?

It’s possible that the number of people in the U.S. who are infected with COVID-19 is much bigger than the number that is being currently reported, but many of those people haven’t gotten substantially sick, and so haven’t gotten tested.
The death rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who die by the number who get infected.
But while we do have accurate information about the numerator, we really have no idea what the denominator is. It’s possible that the real denominator is magnitudes bigger than what is being reported, because most infected people have either no symptoms or minor symptoms, and thus, don’t get tested. If this is indeed the case, then it’s possible that the real death rate is far, far lower than the one that is being reported.
As of this writing (early March 30, 2020), in the U.S., 142,735 people have tested positive for COVID-19, and of those, 2,489 have died from it. (I got those numbers from this link, which is continuously being updated.)
Based on these numbers, the fatality rate in the U.S. is 1.744%
Meanwhile, Iceland tested a large segment of its population, including people with no symptoms, and found that 6.3% of them have COVID-19.
The U.S. has 328 million people. If we extrapolate Iceland’s figure of 6.3% to the U.S., it would suggest that more than 20 million people in the U.S. have COVID-19. (I realize that extrapolating Iceland’s test results to the U.S. is not the ideal way to determine the rate of infection in the U.S. But given the absence of this particular type of widespread testing in the U.S., it’s probably the most accurate guess that we can make at this point in time. Hopefully, such widespread testing will be done in the U.S., and we will then have a more accurate number.)
So for the U.S., the real denominator may be 140 times bigger than the one that is being reported.
Which, if true, would indicate that the estimated real death rate in the U.S. is more than two magnitudes smaller than what is being reported.
And, if true, would mean that the estimated real death rate in the U.S. is 0.01246%
I know for a fact that hospital administrators and coroners in these Left Tard Sanctuary Cities are cooking the books on COVID 19 Deaths as a cause of death in the hopes they can get more Federal Dollars, Equipment etc.
Of course they are. Someone who had their gullet opened in a car accident will be translated into a corona death just to pump up the numbers. A young man in my neighborhood died of "the corona virus". No he didn't. He died of a fentanyl overdose. Pump up those fake numbers.
Donald Trump would tell you to shut the f**k up. You are an idiot. He finally understands the seriousness of the pandemic. He realizes dumb shits like you will make the pandemic worse and make his political situation worse. I could care less about Trump but I see the irony of his minions screwing him over.

This should drive the hysteria mongers crazy. How are they going to generate hysteria about a disease that is less serious than the flu?

It’s possible that the number of people in the U.S. who are infected with COVID-19 is much bigger than the number that is being currently reported, but many of those people haven’t gotten substantially sick, and so haven’t gotten tested.
The death rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who die by the number who get infected.
But while we do have accurate information about the numerator, we really have no idea what the denominator is. It’s possible that the real denominator is magnitudes bigger than what is being reported, because most infected people have either no symptoms or minor symptoms, and thus, don’t get tested. If this is indeed the case, then it’s possible that the real death rate is far, far lower than the one that is being reported.
As of this writing (early March 30, 2020), in the U.S., 142,735 people have tested positive for COVID-19, and of those, 2,489 have died from it. (I got those numbers from this link, which is continuously being updated.)
Meanwhile, Iceland tested a large segment of its population, including people with no symptoms, and found that 6.3% of them have COVID-19.
The U.S. has 328 million people. If we extrapolate Iceland’s figure of 6.3% to the U.S., it would suggest that more than 20 million people in the U.S. have COVID-19. (I realize that extrapolating Iceland’s test results to the U.S. is not the ideal way to determine the rate of infection in the U.S. But given the absence of this particular type of widespread testing in the U.S., it’s probably the most accurate guess that we can make at this point in time. Hopefully, such widespread testing will be done in the U.S., and we will then have a more accurate number.)
So for the U.S., the real denominator may be 140 times bigger than the one that is being reported.
Which, if true, would indicate that the estimated real death rate in the U.S. is more than two magnitudes smaller than what is being reported.
And, if true, would mean that the estimated real death rate in the U.S. is 0.01246%
I know for a fact that hospital administrators and coroners in these Left Tard Sanctuary Cities are cooking the books on COVID 19 Deaths as a cause of death in the hopes they can get more Federal Dollars, Equipment etc.
Of course they are. Someone who had their gullet opened in a car accident will be translated into a corona death just to pump up the numbers. A young man in my neighborhood died of "the corona virus". No he didn't. He died of a fentanyl overdose. Pump up those fake numbers.
Donald Trump would tell you to shut the f**k up. You are an idiot. He finally understands the seriousness of the pandemic. He realizes dumb shits like you will make the pandemic worse and make his political situation worse. I could care less about Trump but I see the irony of his minions screwing him over.
hahaahahahaahahahahahahahaaha, a true parrot you are. hahahahhahaahahaha Jim Acosta says that yesterday on the air and here you are repeating it. Hi Polly, I always knew you were a girl.

Neat.

Danfromsquirrelhill has an opinion and a Wordpress page.

Cool. Does it carry more weight if it's coming from epidemiology experts including Dr. Fauci, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine?

A fatality rate like that of "a severe influenza... considerably less than 1%" -- Dr. Fauci's words, not Danfromsquirrelhill's
No, it doesn't carry any more weight. Facts are facts.

You should maybe have your chubby little fingers post facts for a change.
What have I posted that isn't a fact?

The premise of this thread that by looking at Iceland alone and ignoring the rest of the world we can deduce the mortality rate.
You get a more accurate number than going by figures where not all the people who have the disease have been tested. That means the rest of the world, dumbass.

For the record, South Korea also did extensive testing, and had something like a .77% mortality rate.

As of this week, South Korea had just over 9,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, which puts it among the top 10 countries for total cases. But South Korea has another distinction: Health experts are noting that recently the nation has managed to significantly slow the number of new cases. And the country appears to have reined in the outbreak without some of the strict lockdown strategies deployed elsewhere in the world.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
They've used testing aggressively to identify cases — not only testing people who are so sick that they're hospitalized but also mild cases and even suspected cases. They've quarantined tens of thousands of people who may have been exposed to confirmed cases.

As of March 17th South Korea tested about 5200 out of a million or .52%.

In the meantime the United States has tested more yet the mortality rate has increased from about 1.3% in early March to around 2% now. Pretty sure the overall percentage will go down but more testing hasn't made that happen so far.

EDIT: COVID-19 Mortality Rate: A Grim Update | National Review

According to the Worldometer statistics (which are consistent with those compiled by Johns Hopkins University), the U.S. mortality rate has surged to 2.16 percent (4,099 deaths out of 189,711 reported cases as of this morning). Last week, it was about 1.5 percent. The U.S. rate is still less than half of the global rate of 5 percent (44,214 deaths out of 885,301 reported cases), which itself is probably a gross understatement (unless you believe the rosy reports from China — see Jim Geraghty’s nonpareil reporting on that, here and here, as well as our Zachary Evans’s report this morning). Nevertheless, the uptick is alarming.
Wrong, asshole:

As of Saturday, South Korea had tested more than 248,000 people and identified 8,086 cases.

248,000 people. The population is about 51.47 million. That's less than .5% of the population.

At what point do you not question your own intelligence?
You claimed 5000 people were tested. Why should we believe anything else you say about Korea?

No, 5,200 per million. Man, you are so dumb, did you not understand the source?
You are correct, I overlooked the qualifier. However, that doesn't matter. What matters is that S. Korea doesn't limit its testing only to people who show symptoms. It tests everyone that may have been exposed to the virus or who wants a test. That means it uncovers a lot of people wouldn't be detected by the U.S testing policy. You don't seem to get that.

As I said I understand your argument but I don't see any evidence that massive testing lowers the mortality rate. It sounds like it should, but in the United States when we finally got our shit together and started testing (not that we are doing enough yet 2 months later) that the mortality rate in this country has gone up, not down. I hope that trajectory changes and I'm not making a prediction one way or another but it flies in your face that the virus is "140 times smaller" than it is. How does Dan the Squirrel man account for a lack of healthcare that New York is experiencing and soon other cities and states will?

What is the general health of Icelanders and South Koreans compared to United States citizens? According to the link below Iceland and South Korea are ranked 10th and 11th respectively in Life Expectancy. The United States is 46th. So you're comparing two relatively healthy countries to one that isn't so much. For example, how is your diabetes going to play a role if/when you get COVID-19?

The reason why the mortality rate has gone up in the U.S. in spite of more testing is our healthcare system is overwhelmed, and it’s only going to get worse.

I agree, that could be at least in part the reason why. Now please explain to Bripat why simply just looking at mortality rates in Iceland alone isn't really indicative of our own COVID-19 mortality rate.
why only Italy?

100's die every fking day across our land. dude, tell me you know that. I'm not going any further than there until you agree with that.

They do, so?

hahaahahahaahahahahahahahaaha, a true parrot you are. hahahahhahaahahaha Jim Acosta says that yesterday on the air and here you are repeating it. Hi Polly, I always knew you were a girl.
This JC shit head is a Russian agent screwing with America. Nobody can be this stupid. Do not fall for his/her bullshit. He/she is a fake poster.

This JC shit head is a Russian agent screwing with America. Nobody can be this stupid. Do not fall for his/her bullshit. He/she is a fake poster.
I do love winning. see son, that's a throw up your hands in surrender move. thanks. I fking love winning. Winning.

They do, so?
so anyone can skew numbers to make something seem worse than it is by saying, Wuhan virus. that's all. I believe that to be happening. prove me wrong.

They do, so?

You doing O.K. ?

The NIH and the CDC do presume who has been infected vs the tests given for confirmation, and they estimate, based on model predictions and data from all other countries, that the USA mortality rate could settle at around 1%, almost half of the mortality rate being reported now on the actual test takers.

They do not predict it will be 140 times less than now, as Danny the squirrel does.
Could you provide a source for that info so that we can scrutinize it?

What it boils down to is Trump and his virus task force are telling us that if we ignored the virus and didn’t take the measures we’re currently taking then we would we dealing with potentially 1.6-2.2 million deaths to possibly more than that. Do you think that’s a load of crap?

As a scientist/engineer I evaluate ESTIMATES in a very calm analytical way.. The numbers the MEDIA want to run with are WORST CASE ESTIMATES... To a scientist, those numbers are at the margins, but politicians and political hacks and the "if it bleeds it leads" media --- just LOVE "worst cases"...

First thing I DO -- is look at the RANGE between "worse case" and "least case"... If the RANGE is higher than a factor of 3 or so -- there's too much uncertainty and more work NEEDS to be done..

So if you look for example at the RANGES in the ESTIMATES from this past NORMAL flu season (just ended) -- you'll see for example the # of hospitalization ranges from 400,000 to 720,000.. That's in HINDSIGHT but still high.. Just shows that the UNCERTAINTY range says more about the time to panic than the "worst case" number...

NO ONE KNOWS what "would have happened" without intervention.. I'm SURE the RELATIVE range of deaths is probably right. That they would be somewhere like 3 to 5 times higher... But the ABSOLUTE numbers to even MAKE that guess are not YET solid enough..

Bottom line is -- UNFORTUNATELY -- the numbers don't EVER get refined until the clouds pass and a lot of papers get written.. If the CDC wants to use a factor of 2 for multiplying #diagnosed to GET #infected -- I'll go with that.. And their death rate estimate right now is between 0.75 and about 1.2%... And almost CERTAINLY -- as we get MORE data, that factor of 2 will go UP -- not down -- making the final estimate of death rate LESS than it is today...

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH -- THAT death rate will NOT change because of "social distancing" or mitigations because it's just the native LETHALITY of the disease.. What mitigation does is lower the TOTAL #infections and therefore lower the TOTAL number of deaths...

Because the (#deaths) / ((#reported) X 2) is a RATE that won't vary with social distancing or closing down the entire economy.. THe ONLY way the death RATE changes is better medical care or medical protocols or palliative drugs like MAYBE HCQuine.

This is great thread to keep alive.. Because it's the most asked question that has a bearing on the worried and scared population..

Just to keep it going, there is the Stanford Study that came out about 10 days ago, but 2 more studies I've read talking about "SLIGHTLY" lower "death rates"...

Too many of these papers are based on VERY questionable China data.. And we would EXPECT a higher death rate in China just from the shorter time they had to prepare protocols and procedures for triage. Here are 2 of them besides the Stanford study..

And to link what I said above about CALCULATING a death rate -- here's a link... BTW -- the PRESS and many in leadership are STILL not doing it correctly in MANY cases of bad news...

However, these mortality rate estimates are based on the number of deaths relative to the number of confirmed cases of infection, which is not representative of the actual death rate; patients who die on any given day were infected much earlier, and thus the denominator of the mortality rate should be the total number of patients infected at the same time as those who died.

That last link arrived at a HIGHER death rate than CDC, but was "reading into" the very questionable data from China "official reporting"...

Neat.

Danfromsquirrelhill has an opinion and a Wordpress page.
Unlike TDS morons, he can do simple math.

He picked a single country (Iceland) to compare to the US population to determine the COVID-19 mortality rate. Why Iceland? Why not Italy?

Had you read the article, you would see that it's because Iceland has done extensive testing of its people.

What difference do you think using Italy would have made?

They've tested about 3.5%. This has been gone over in the thread, catch up.
They test everyone, not just people who show symptoms. That's how you get a more accurate mortality rate.

Are you just pretending to be too stupid to understand that?
Again, fucking moron, 5% is not 100%.

This is great thread to keep alive.. Because it's the most asked question that has a bearing on the worried and scared population..

Just to keep it going, there is the Stanford Study that came out about 10 days ago, but 2 more studies I've read talking about "SLIGHTLY" lower "death rates"...

Too many of these papers are based on VERY questionable China data.. And we would EXPECT a higher death rate in China just from the shorter time they had to prepare protocols and procedures for triage. Here are 2 of them besides the Stanford study..

And to link what I said above about CALCULATING a death rate -- here's a link... BTW -- the PRESS and many in leadership are STILL not doing it correctly in MANY cases of bad news...

However, these mortality rate estimates are based on the number of deaths relative to the number of confirmed cases of infection, which is not representative of the actual death rate; patients who die on any given day were infected much earlier, and thus the denominator of the mortality rate should be the total number of patients infected at the same time as those who died.

That last link arrived at a HIGHER death rate than CDC, but was "reading into" the very questionable data from China "official reporting"...

I don't think anyone recently has said the mortality rate is going to end up being 3.5%. Not sure if you are aware or not but that100k-240k fatality range is actually based on less than 1%.

Whether or not it means anything now or later the current number of deaths is over 5% globally of those infected.

Forum List

Back