Nurses Die, Doctors Fall Sick and Panic Rises on Virus Front Lines

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
As always, the first responders and the medical people on the front-lines bear the brunt of the disease..I believe this to be a sombre peek into the future for most metro areas..and many rural medical centers as well. Some areas will get off relatively unscathed--those that are taking it seriously right now--but we are already running out of both trained personnel and supplies--and it is still early days.
I see many on the Right almost gleeful at the situation that NYC or LA are in right now..not having the brains to connect the dots and realize that it is just a matter of time before the Red states find that their rural areas are aflame..and there is no water left to put out the fire. I see posts here where idiots blame ventilators for deaths, rather than the disease--ignoring that the patient was put on the ventilator because they were dying in the first place. I see wacky conspiracy threads blaming the Chinese, the Russians and, above all, the left! To me, it's all just whistling past the graveyard--one month from now, hundreds of thousands will be dead. Most of the dead will be over 60...some will not. But I think it's clear that a disproportionate number will be in the medical field--thus reducing our ability to respond effectively.

Like generals steadying their troops before battle, hospital supervisors in New York have had to rally, cajole and sometimes threaten workers.
“Our health care systems are at war with a pandemic virus,” Craig R. Smith, the surgeon-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, wrote in an email to staff on March 16, the day after New York City shut down its school system to contain the virus. “You are expected to keep fighting with whatever weapons you’re capable of working.”
“Sick is relative,” he wrote, adding that workers would not even be tested for the virus unless they were “unequivocally exposed and symptomatic to the point of needing admission to the hospital.”
“That means you come to work,” he wrote. “Period.”

Arriving to work each day, doctors and nurses are met with confusion and chaos.
At a branch of the Montefiore hospital system in the Bronx, nurses wear their winter coats in an unheated tent set up to triage patients with symptoms, while at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, patients are sometimes dying before they can be moved into beds.
The inviolable rules that once gave a sense of rhythm and harmony to even the busiest emergency rooms have in some cases been cast aside. Few things have caused more anxiety than shifting protocols meant to preserve a dwindling supply of protective gear.
When the pandemic first hit New York, medical workers changed gowns and masks each time they visited an infected patient. Then, they were told to keep their protective gear on until the end of their shift. As supplies became even more scarce, one doctor working on an intensive care unit said he was asked to turn in his mask and face shield at the end of his shift to be sterilized for future use. Others are being told to store their masks in a paper bag between shifts.
“It puts us in danger, it puts our patients in danger. I can’t believe in the United States that’s what’s happening,” said Kelley Cabrera, an emergency room nurse at Jacobi Medical Center.
An emergency room doctor at Long Island Jewish Medical Center put it more bluntly: “It’s literally, wash your hands a lot, cross your fingers, pray.”

Doctors and nurses fear they could be transmitting the virus to their patients, compounding the crisis by transforming hospitals into incubators for the virus.

As always, the first responders and the medical people on the front-lines bear the brunt of the disease..I believe this to be a sombre peek into the future for most metro areas..and many rural medical centers as well. Some areas will get off relatively unscathed--those that are taking it seriously right now--but we are already running out of both trained personnel and supplies--and it is still early days.
I see many on the Right almost gleeful at the situation that NYC or LA are in right now..not having the brains to connect the dots and realize that it is just a matter of time before the Red states find that their rural areas are aflame..and there is no water left to put out the fire. I see posts here where idiots blame ventilators for deaths, rather than the disease--ignoring that the patient was put on the ventilator because they were dying in the first place. I see wacky conspiracy threads blaming the Chinese, the Russians and, above all, the left! To me, it's all just whistling past the graveyard--one month from now, hundreds of thousands will be dead. Most of the dead will be over 60...some will not. But I think it's clear that a disproportionate number will be in the medical field--thus reducing our ability to respond effectively.

Like generals steadying their troops before battle, hospital supervisors in New York have had to rally, cajole and sometimes threaten workers.
“Our health care systems are at war with a pandemic virus,” Craig R. Smith, the surgeon-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, wrote in an email to staff on March 16, the day after New York City shut down its school system to contain the virus. “You are expected to keep fighting with whatever weapons you’re capable of working.”
“Sick is relative,” he wrote, adding that workers would not even be tested for the virus unless they were “unequivocally exposed and symptomatic to the point of needing admission to the hospital.”

At a branch of the Montefiore hospital system in the Bronx, nurses wear their winter coats in an unheated tent set up to triage patients with symptoms, while at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, patients are sometimes dying before they can be moved into beds.
The inviolable rules that once gave a sense of rhythm and harmony to even the busiest emergency rooms have in some cases been cast aside. Few things have caused more anxiety than shifting protocols meant to preserve a dwindling supply of protective gear.
When the pandemic first hit New York, medical workers changed gowns and masks each time they visited an infected patient. Then, they were told to keep their protective gear on until the end of their shift. As supplies became even more scarce, one doctor working on an intensive care unit said he was asked to turn in his mask and face shield at the end of his shift to be sterilized for future use. Others are being told to store their masks in a paper bag between shifts.
“It puts us in danger, it puts our patients in danger. I can’t believe in the United States that’s what’s happening,” said Kelley Cabrera, an emergency room nurse at Jacobi Medical Center.
An emergency room doctor at Long Island Jewish Medical Center put it more bluntly: “It’s literally, wash your hands a lot, cross your fingers, pray.”

Doctors and nurses fear they could be transmitting the virus to their patients, compounding the crisis by transforming hospitals into incubators for the virus.
No one is gleeful that liberals in deep blue cities are dying

no one wants that except maybe a very small handful of extreme partisans on BOTH sides

but we do reject the attempts to attack trump politically

and the more it happens the more we will respond

Last edited:

I am going to take you to task over what you wrote because it seem you believe the right is the only side writing shit threads and responses when your own fucking side is doing the damn same thing!

You care to explain why the Mayor of New York as of mid-February was spreading information that was wrong and is somewhat the cause of the Pandemic that has gripped the City?

Also why shouldn't someone blame China Government for their lying and covering up the details of the virus while allowing the infected to get on flights and ships and transmit the virus around the World?

Are you saying they do not hold any Responsibility but Trump holds it all?

If so then what the fuck have you been smoking?

Before you even respond you better know I have links with timelines that will point to Mayor Bill de Blasio own words and him lecturing the people of New York and telling them to go out and live their lives, so when the Mayor of Pandemic epicentre does what he did, well he owns the responsibility of killing his own Residents of his City and not even Trump or China can be blamed for his words and actions!

So get your damn facts straight before telling the other side who should be blamed because if Trump and the right are to blame then so are you, the left and Bill de Blasio!

Politically-tainted thread with the intent on hammering conservatives and Trump.

No agenda here, is there?
:auiqs.jpg:
How odd..I did not mention Trump...and did not have him or his response in mind when I wrote it. I did take a whack at the idiots who down-play the seriousness of the issue as they spout conspiracy theories and idiotic lies--if you are in that batch...back at ya...no agenda there, now is there? LOL!

Politically-tainted thread with the intent on hammering conservatives and Trump.

How odd..I did not mention Trump...and did not have him or his response in mind when I wrote it. I did take a whack at the idiots who down-play the seriousness of the issue as they spout conspiracy theories and idiotic lies--if you are in that batch...back at ya...no agenda there, now is there? LOL!

Because you did not mention him by name does not mean you were not alluding to him, and also Bill de Blasio did not take the virus seriously either, and he is not on the right!

You didn't have to mention Trump, everyone knows the intent of the thread.

I am going to take you to task over what you wrote because it seem you believe the right is the only side writing shit threads and responses when your own fucking side is doing the damn same thing!

You care to explain why the Mayor of New York as of mid-February was spreading information that was wrong and is somewhat the cause of the Pandemic that has gripped the City?

Also why shouldn't someone blame China Government for their lying and covering up the details of the virus while allowing the infected to get on flights and ships and transmit the virus around the World?

Before you even respond you better know I have links with timelines that will point to Mayor Bill de Blasio own words and him lecturing the people of New York and telling them to go out and live their lives, so when the Mayor of Pandemic epicentre does what he did, well he owns the responsibility of killing his own Residents of his City and not even Trump or China can be blamed for his words and actions!

So get your damn facts straight before telling the other side who should be blamed because if Trump and the right are to blame then so are you, the left and Bill de Blasio!
Another idiot heard from..first, there is no 'my side' at work here...and no blame game going on...i note with amusement that you did not address the main thrust of the post at all..you know, the medical people at risk?

Your post is indeed proof of what i was referring to...knee-jerk BS and off-topic ranting..

I'm so sorry I voted for Trump. If only HRC and John Kerry and Joe Biden were in charge now none of this would have happened.
Then HRC would have put Timmy Kaine in charge of combating the virus.
By now the fucking Chinese would be offloading all the PPE America needs. And only charging 100 times what the PPEs were selling for three months ago.
And think of the thousands of Chinese' 'medical experts' which would be flying into the US to help.
I've learned my lesson. In 2020 I'll be 'all in' for Joe Biden.

Did I mention Joe Biden's pick for his VP is going to be HRC?
Then within a few months Hillary will become the President.

Because you did not mention him by name does not mean you were not alluding to him, and also Bill de Blasio did not take the virus seriously either, and he is not on the right!
My allusion is in your mind....where it is getting quite lonely...what with all the empty space!

It is INTERESTING to see who California is testing first. It's the medical staff, ofc, but they eliminate you if you have the COVID-19 symptoms. Next, are the 60+ people with underlying conditions, but no symptoms. We still don't have enough test kits, so one is on their own if you get it for now.

Another idiot heard from..first, there is no 'my side' at work here...and no blame game going on...i note with amusement that you did not address the main thrust of the post at all..you know, the medical people at risk?

Your post is indeed proof of what i was referring to...knee-jerk BS and off-topic ranting..
The medical people who are going in front of the CNN/MSNBC cameras are all radical Trump haters.
In a country with the population of the USA you can always find someone who has a hard-on against somebody.

Wow, I shouldn't address the one sided attack you did on the right you lying asshole?

We should only discuss what you want while you throw all the blame on the right in your opening of your thread?

Your thread clearly was a personal attack on the right while excusing assholes like you excuse your stupidity!

Now tell me how many people or first responders have died because of Bill de Blasio stupidity as of mid-February?

How many people got infected by his inaction as Mayor?

Not one post yet...responding to the topic--I could say I was surprised--but I'm not. How about those medical professionals? Doing a good job or what?

I responded to your op and what you wrote about and you are bitching that no one is responding to your bullshit thread in the way you wanted?

Did you not attack the right on this board in your opening of your thread and if you say no then you are fucking lying as usual you piece of shit!

My allusion is in your mind....where it is getting quite lonely...what with all the empty space!

Says the sorry piece of trash demanding everyone to ignore his opening comments in the op and just focus on what you want to discuss!

You clearly stated the right, China and if anyone blame China for their failure is nothing but liars and Conspiracy theorists...

So why write what you wrote if you did not want to discuss it?

Let me guess you are trolling and hoping no one points to the fact you are making this political and lying while at it!

You didn't have to mention Trump, everyone knows the intent of the thread.
Do they...ROTFLMAO! The intention of the thread was to point out that the system that we depend on is likely to be overwhelmed..a heads-up..if you like.
I did take a shot at some idiots..I did not say that the majority of the Right are said idiots..since i don't believe that. But, yeah...if you are stupid enough to believe some of the BS going on..much of it right here...then your indignation is music to my ears....

Wow, I shouldn't address the one sided attack you did on the right you lying asshole?

We should only discuss what you want while you throw all the blame on the right in your opening of your thread?

Your thread clearly was a personal attack on the right while excusing assholes like you excuse your stupidity!

Now tell me how many people or first responders have died because of Bill de Blasio stupidity as of mid-February?

How many people got infected by his inaction as Mayor?
***Yawn***

Don't get yer panties in a bunch---my post stands on its own--and the fact that you obviously have a set of talking points and a narrative you wish to sell-----kinda taints your viewpoint! No worries..your ilk will give you all the affirmation you need to get you through your day.

Stay healthy...placing your head in the sand is social distancing of a sort, right?

Forum List

Back