The Racial Implications of the $15 Minimum Wage

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is a tangent to another thread, but I think it deserves its own discussion.

When the lowest legal wage goes up by, say, 107% - from $7.25 to $15.00 - there are huge ramifications at the bottom end of the earnings totem pole. The higher the local wages are (e.g., NYC, Chicago, Boston), the less impact the increase will have, but this thread is not about the purely economic arguments for and against a "high" minimum wage, it is about the racial component.

Consider, if you will, the employment demographics at companies like Starbucks, Costco, and Whole Foods. These are companies that voluntarily pay a relatively good wage to everyone. They generally don't hire high school and college kids looking for part time work. They don't hire high school dropouts, or ex-cons. They don't hire people with learning disabilities. Because at their "high" wage levels, they can hire "better" people, no problem. They do hire some Black people, but not in proportion to their percentage of the local population.

Consider, what does a "high" minimum wage mean to a demographic that has the highest percentage of HS dropouts? The demographic that has the highest percentage of people who are "graduates" of (or still in) the criminal justice system? The demographic that has the highest percentage of people with learning disabilities? Not to mention, a demographic that generally NEEDS those part time jobs for students?

It will be devastating to that demographic.

I personally believe that EVEN DEMOCRATS realize that a national $15/hr minimum wage would be an economic disaster, and they understand how it will disproportionately affect POC's, so they will increase the MW but it will probably be very watered down. The $15 number won't go into effect for many years, and it may have regional variations for low and high-cost-of-living areas.

For those who pine for the $15/hr minimum wage, thinking that it will make a dramatic change in their quality of life, I submit that this the classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it."

This is a tangent to another thread, but I think it deserves its own discussion.

When the lowest legal wage goes up by, say, 107% - from $7.25 to $15.00 - there are huge ramifications at the bottom end of the earnings totem pole. The higher the local wages are (e.g., NYC, Chicago, Boston), the less impact the increase will have, but this thread is not about the purely economic arguments for and against a "high" minimum wage, it is about the racial component.

Consider, if you will, the employment demographics at companies like Starbucks, Costco, and Whole Foods. These are companies that voluntarily pay a relatively good wage to everyone. They generally don't hire high school and college kids looking for part time work. They don't hire high school dropouts, or ex-cons. They don't hire people with learning disabilities. Because at their "high" wage levels, they can hire "better" people, no problem. They do hire some Black people, but not in proportion to their percentage of the local population.

Consider, what does a "high" minimum wage mean to a demographic that has the highest percentage of HS dropouts? The demographic that has the highest percentage of people who are "graduates" of (or still in) the criminal justice system? The demographic that has the highest percentage of people with learning disabilities? Not to mention, a demographic that generally NEEDS those part time jobs for students?

I personally believe that EVEN DEMOCRATS realize that a national $15/hr minimum wage would be an economic disaster, and they understand how it will disproportionately affect POC's, so they will increase the MW but it will probably be very watered down. The $15 number won't go into effect for many years, and it may have regional variations for low and high-cost-of-living areas.

For those who pine for the $15/hr minimum wage, thinking that it will make a dramatic change in their quality of life, I submit that this the classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it."
The problem with raising minimum wages, is that companies have to make a decision, do they raise the costs of the consumers thus chasing away their income, or do they cut wasteful employees, because no one wants to pay an entry level high school person, the same as a guy who has been working there for 10 years. So many high schoolers and college ungraduates, will have to wait on the welfare line(this is why progs love their slaves) thus making the Burning Looting and Murder, more angry with businesses and not the government who caused their unemployment.....

The unintended and unforeseen consequences of liberalism always seem to bite them in the ass.

A major result in a learning wage of $15 is that this wage will put the unskilled worker closer to the skilled worker
in wages and the skilled worker will expect a healthy increase and rightly so, or there will be discord in the workplace
which will affect the quality of work. Bitching, moaning, whining, complaining, and huddling may pervade the workplace. Overheads will increase and prices will inevitably rise since the greatest cost to employers is employee expense.

It should be up to the states to mandate a minimum... Not the federal government.
No , it should be up to the employees and their bosses to determine the wages they work for. If someone is smart and skillful they can demand a high wage, but if they are stupid slaves like the progs who visit this site, then they should be paid what they are worth, no more no less. And take away the welfare assistance, so those slaves have to either get better educated or better skills.

A burger flipper for life may earn high wages in a burger shop, but there is no way he is worth 15 dollars an hour, when people work on Jets and make 15 dollars an hour.

A major result in a learning wage of $15 is that this wage will put the unskilled worker closer to the skilled worker
in wages and the skilled worker will expect a healthy increase and rightly so, or there will be discord in the workplace
which will affect the quality of work. Bitching, moaning, whining, complaining, and huddling may pervade the workplace.
That happened to me in 1977 , i had left McD's and went to be a short order chef at Bill Knapps restaurant, started off at 2.10 an hour, after 1 year i got a 15 cent raise and was allowed to grill alone during the mid hours between breakfast and lunch. But then a month after my raise, they make minimum wage 2.25 an hour and i was now working as an entry level employee again. I left and joined the Air Force where i learned how to fix the Avionics of the jets. That allowed my to work over in Saudi Arabia as a contractor making 70,000 a year tax free. That was the best experience i ever had...

No , it should be up to the employees and their bosses to determine the wages they work for. If someone is smart and skillful they can demand a high wage, but if they are stupid slaves like the progs who visit this site, then they should be paid what they are worth, no more no less. And take away the welfare assistance, so those slaves have to either get better educated or better skills.

A burger flipper for life may earn high wages in a burger shop, but there is no way he is worth 15 dollars an hour, when people work on Jets and make 15 dollars an hour.
I used to say ... I'd support a minimum wage when they made a maximum wage. Until then I wouldn't... This is the world we live in. *shrugs*

As such I'll suggest something that actually makes sense to the things that can happen, not what should.

The Federal government SHOULD NOT mandate a minimum wage. The cost of living is WAY TOO VARIED across states.

I never thought it mattered what the minimum wage was.

It's just the first rung on the ladder. Really if you're still making MW when you're 21 it's your own fault

Force is not racially biased- it us used in bias- minimum wages forced are illegal- the economics are; the money supply increase devalues what you have in your hand- that is a hidden tax- tax is theft- theft is immoral, and when citizens, not officials do it it's punished- Public Education is an unbiased Failure forced on everyone-

I never thought it mattered what the minimum wage was.

It's just the first rung on the ladder. Really if you're still making MW when you're 21 it's your own fault
Oh it absolutely does. Raising minimum wage really doesn't do anything other than devalue the dollar and drive mom and pop stores out of business because they can't absorb that immediate hit unlike major corporations. It's LITERLALLY a major benefit for large corporations.

The dollar gets devalued, so all the people who make more than minimum wage now make less money. You are still making the same amount of money, but now that money buys less... So you might as well look at it as if you took a pay cut.

Now, sure... You can ask for more money because it's devalued, and you'll get it... But you aren't getting it all that year unlike a federal mandate. So the major corporation gets like a boost for several years with cheaper labor BECAUSE the employees they hire AREN'T minimum wage.

For the love of fucking God, not everything has to do with race.

Maybe negroes should act with more civility, not end up with their asses in the joint, and stay in school instead of dropping out and dealing crack to make a quick buck, only to get busted and end up back in the joint...

If $15 an hour is wonderful, how much better would $25 an hour be!
If paying more is so great for everyone, why don't Leftists open stores with these generous and productive wages and see how successful they are. NOBODY does this because it's insane. Economist Walter Williams is black, like Thomas Sowell. They both KNOW and LECTURE that minimum wage laws hurt the very people they are SUPPOSED to help.

IF "living wages" are so crucial, they WHY don't Leftists push to outlaw volunteering, for no money!!! You can't LIVE working for NO MONEY!

It also has to do with increasing purchasing power for Labor as the least wealthy in our republic. Higher paid labor creates more in demand and generates more in tax revenue.

It also has to do with increasing purchasing power for Labor as the least wealthy in our republic. Higher paid labor creates more in demand and generates more in tax revenue.
More tax revenue doesn't do a damn thing when you devalue the dollar in doing so. You right back where you were. Stay in school... or back... Whatever it is you need to do.

Here, I'll help you out.

More tax revenue doesn't do a damn thing when you devalue the dollar in doing so. You right back where you were. Stay in school... or back... Whatever it is you need to do.

Here, I'll help you out.

Creating demand and tax revenue does not devalue the dollar.

Creating demand and tax revenue does not devalue the dollar.
Raising the minimum wage does.

Edit: Oh shit... You are from California... What's the minimum wage in the "fly over states?" Do you know how they make a living on that?

Edit2: I'm actually on vacation, but I'm going to go back to work for a couple hours... I'm not ignoring you. If you want to have this conversation I'm happy to have it. I'm just busy at the moment.

Forum List

Back