The Post-Trump GOP

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
What's next for the GOP?

A couple of very interesting pieces this morning. Interestingly, much of what they cover includes what we've been talking about here. The anti-Trump types like the Lincoln Project know damn well that he has a vice-like grip on the party, and will even have to consider running separate candidates, which we haven't really talked about here. The party is so afraid of Trump, in fact, that they're not even engaging in the traditional post-mortem for fear of angering him. Holy crap.

At the same time, they did do better than expected down ticket (or was it the Democrats doing worse than expected?), so that just muddies the waters even more. So what do the next few years look like for the GOP?

Oh, for Trumpsters: Ignore all this, he won, "by a lot", they cheated, he'll stay in office, MAGA.

What's next for the GOP?

A couple of very interesting pieces this morning. Interestingly, much of what they cover includes what we've been talking about here. The anti-Trump types like the Lincoln Project know damn well that he has a vice-like grip on the party, and will even have to consider running separate candidates, which we haven't really talked about here. The party is so afraid of Trump, in fact, that they're not even engaging in the traditional post-mortem for fear of angering him. Holy crap.

At the same time, they did do better than expected down ticket (or was it the Democrats doing worse than expected?), so that just muddies the waters even more. So what do the next few years look like for the GOP?

Oh, for Trumpsters: Ignore all this, he won, "by a lot", they cheated, he'll stay in office, MAGA.
GOP + the donkey party = RepubliCratic Duopoly Party(RCDP). More scandals on the horizon as the DC gang & their Major Managed News Media(MMNM) knows the American constituency feeds heavy on scandals. As long as the American constituency stays EQUALLY divided the RCDP/MMNM will keep the American constituency well entertained with endless so called 'inter party' scandals to keep the constituency divided.

What's next for the GOP?

Trump is the GOP.

GOP + the donkey party = RepubliCratic Duopoly Party(RCDP). More scandals on the horizon as the DC gang & their Major Managed News Media(MMNM) knows the American constituency feeds heavy on scandals. As long as the American constituency stays EQUALLY divided the RCDP/MMNM will keep the American constituency well entertained with endless so called 'inter party' scandals to keep the constituency divided.
Um, okay, so what's next for the GOP?

What's next for the GOP?

Trumpism isn’t going anywhere. The repudiation of GOP candidates up and down the ballot that never-Trumpers longed for never materialized, and Trump is already teasing a 2024 comeback bid. If he runs again, that would keep the activists united, but many are skeptical he’ll follow through

the crux being 'Trumpism' is a maga ideology , which in fairness is no different than 'hope & change was.

as long as there's a majority willing to subscribe , they will be preyed on by them

~S~

I've read a couple of times in the past weeks, "Trump is gone, but Trumpism isn't". Though I hope very much this isn't true.

My concerns are less about most of Trump's policies, but his style: That he was running the country on a maximum of division, and that he constantly denied facts and truth, but rather made fuss about fake news stories from the weirdest sources. He constantly fueled distrust and suspicion of the institutions of a constitutional republic, not least by pissing on the Constitution by ignoring the will of the people and attempting to steal the election after he lost.

Trump is a prime example for "party above country", or rather "my own power above country" and for "winning over being right".

A President who uses lying and disinformation as his main tactic for governing is dangerous for any free, constitutional republic. Because constant lying, fake news and disinformation erodes the very basis the republic is founded on.

It's sad to see what the once "Grand Old Party" has become. They used to have decent people like Reagan, Bush sr., John McCain ... people you didn't need to agree with, but whom you could respect as decent people who have the best of the country at their hearts.

I really hope this party comes back to its senses.

Mac, no one cares what you think.

Only 81 million cares what Mac thinks! He also laid out some of the problems Democrats have to work on if you had read his post instead of mindlessly insulting. I doubt you even bothered to read it.

Yes, Mac, there are many things Democrats need to work on down ticket but it is hard for reasonable people when you have 1/3 rd of the Country spouting mindless hate and rage. Trump brought out and encouraged the worst. It has always been there but is now in the open.

I have been on a lot of boards and am surprised how much the Mods allow here. Where are they?

I've read a couple of times in the past weeks, "Trump is gone, but Trumpism isn't". Though I hope very much this isn't true.

My concerns are less about most of Trump's policies, but his style: That he was running the country on a maximum of division, and that he constantly denied facts and truth, but rather made fuss about fake news stories from the weirdest sources. He constantly fueled distrust and suspicion of the institutions of a constitutional republic, not least by pissing on the Constitution by ignoring the will of the people and attempting to steal the election after he lost.

Trump is a prime example for "party above country", or rather "my own power above country" and for "winning over being right".

A President who uses lying and disinformation as his main tactic for governing is dangerous for any free, constitutional republic. Because constant lying, fake news and disinformation erodes the very basis the republic is founded on.

It's sad to see what the once "Grand Old Party" has become. They used to have decent people like Reagan, Bush sr., John McCain ... people you didn't need to agree with, but whom you could respect as decent people who have the best of the country at their hearts.

I really hope this party comes back to its senses.
Right now, 95% of the energy in the party is 100% with Trump. The anti-Trumpsters have their work cut out for them.

It was said earlier here that the smartest thing they can do is bring him down no matter what the short term damage is, and that may be true. Rip off the scab.

No doubt they're thinking about it, and no doubt they're trying to figure out how. It won't be easy, but there's no way of knowing how much anti-Trump sentiment exists under the surface.

What's next for the GOP?

Trump is the GOP.
Then how do you explain the many who left because of Trump?

Only 81 million cares what Mac thinks! He also laid out some of the problems Democrats have to work on if you had read his post instead of mindlessly insulting. I doubt you even bothered to read it.

Yes, Mac, there are many things Democrats need to work on down ticket but it is hard for reasonable people when you have 1/3 rd of the Country spouting mindless hate and rage. Trump brought out and encouraged the worst. It has always been there but is now in the open.

I have been on a lot of boards and am surprised how much the Mods allow here. Where are they?
See post 13, above. Ripping off the scab may be the only way to deal with this. The Lincoln Project types will lay low for a while, but they're not stopping. This will be tough as hell, though.

Hey, regarding the mods, I'm a big freedom of expression advocate. I'm fine with the Trumpsters jumping in like that. Shine the light on them. That's how Trump got voted out, let them self-identify for us. :cool:

What's next for the GOP?

sigh.... Mitlaufer Mac, so often wrong, and never understands why.

Here's the thing. The "Never Trumpers" are guys like Bill Kristol, who are upset that Trump wasn't interested in maintaining a permanent presence in the Middle East.

The first thing to understand about Trump is that he's not the disease, he's the rash it's broken out into. The GOP is based on getting working class whites to vote against their own economic interests by playing on their religious, sexual and racial fears. Trump just said the quiet part out loud. While Jeb Bush had just enough intellectual integrity not to repeat racist birther rumors about Obama, Trump embraced them full force.

So looking at the Never Trumpers, it's like looking at Dr. Frankenstein and Igor being horrified as the Monster rampages across the countryside, but taking no responsibility for putting him together to start with.

Now, there are some changes that Trump has actually made in GOP Ideology, such as hostility to free trade and multilateralism. Whether or not those things will stick or not remains to be seen. It probably will, as Biden will no doubt try very hard to repair all the international relations Trump has damaged. This is kind of a retro position, as the GOP was very isolationist all the way up until Eisenhower, who embraced FDR's foreign policies and built on them.

All that said, I don't think that Trump will have that much of a long term effect on the GOP. More likely, he'll become like Nixon, Ford, and the Bushes, guys the GOP kind of shrugs off like some other party put them in the White House.

The real question is, will the Media keep feeding Trump's ego when he is out of office, reporting on his "Shadow Presidency", repeating every Tweet, and covering empty podiums waiting for him to speak, or will they hopefully ignore him.

What's next for the GOP?

Your post does not even make sense.

I care.

so if you could stfu.jpg

Forum List

Back