The Orville

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I have ignored The Orville because it is created by Seth MacFarlane, who I dislike intensely because of his rabid atheistic hatred of religion.

But I learned from watching a Youtube video that the show is pretty good, so I gave it a shot.

Yes, Seth takes every opportunity to portray religion as something that it is bad and awful with no redeeming qualities. But, I decided to overlook that and keep watching the show.

I binge watched both seasons last weekend and I have to say, the show is better than Star Trek: Discovery and every other iteration of Star Trek except perhaps the original series.

However, it does borrow heavily from the Star Trek series, so much so that you think you're just watching another version of Star Trek. It might be described as fan fiction of Star Trek.

But what The Orville has that Star Trek lacks is the portrayal of realistic adult relationships between the characters. And because the show has an ongoing story line, these relationships are portrayed as developing over time.

I highly recommend this show, which has been approved for a third season.

I've been watching it since it first showed up. Some of the jokes are pretty funny, and the situations they put the characters into reflect some of the things that happen in today's society.

I watched a few shows and personally didn't like it at all. It looked like a cheesy knock off of Star Trek to me.
It’s quality TV. If you thought it was just cheesy then your missing the humor. It’s actually quite smart

Some of the episodes are pretty heavy-handed. Like his episode that portrays a Nazi-like society that sends a people born under a disfavored astrological sign to work camps.

It would have been better if Seth had chosen a better actor to play the main role. Instead, he chose himself.

Some of the episodes are pretty heavy-handed. Like his episode that portrays a Nazi-like society that sends a people born under a disfavored astrological sign to work camps.

I have enjoyed it. A little bit off the wall but enjoyable nevertheless.

Any truth to the rumor that the show is leaving Fox to go on NetFlix?

I watched a few shows and personally didn't like it at all. It looked like a cheesy knock off of Star Trek to me.
I have been watching The Expanse now on Amazon.
Gritty, dark, far more realistic about space travel and plays on a future where Mars is independent, Earth is controlled by the UN and also controls resources on a few stations and rocks in the asteroid belt. Story premise is a possible war between the UN and the Mars Navy.

I have been watching The Expanse now on Amazon.
Gritty, dark, far more realistic about space travel and plays on a future where Mars is independent, Earth is controlled by the UN and also controls resources on a few stations and rocks in the asteroid belt. Story premise is a possible war between the UN and the Mars Navy.
I'll check it out.

Forum List

Back