The old testament.

Colin norris

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2021
The God of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction:jealous and proud if it; a petty unjust unforgiving control freak, a conductive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynist, a homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, meglomanical, masochistic, capricious bully.

Robert Sherman once asked George Bush snr. Whether he recognised the citizenship and patriotism of atheists.
He said "no, I don't know they should be considered citizens nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under god"

This is what George washington and John Adams said and signed in 1797.
"AS the government of the United States is not founded on the Christian religion, it is declared by the parties that no religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption to the harmony"

That's not what a lot of people believe.

The God of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction:jealous and proud if it; a petty unjust unforgiving control freak, a conductive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynist, a homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, meglomanical, masochistic, capricious bully.

Robert Sherman once asked George Bush snr. Whether he recognised the citizenship and patriotism of atheists.
He said "no, I don't know they should be considered citizens nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under god"

"AS the government of the United States is not founded on the Christian religion, it is declared by the parties that no religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption to the harmony"

Dubya had a very rudimentary religious education. Remember, he told Chirac that he was fighting Gog and Magog. Newspaper theology is very popular with the fundamentalists.

The whole one nation under god thing was added to the pledge in the 50's during the great Red scare.

The Pledge of Allegiance - US History

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today.

Some people who would hurt other people if it weren't for their religious attendance would be in jail for criminal offences. The Christian religion is the best one because it produces go getters for the good of all. Just read its tenet: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is praiseworthy--think about such things."

This loving little gem when obeyed brings joy to its practioners. The passage is found in one of Saint Paul's books that started as his letter to the Philippians 4:8, NiV. It's also shared on the first page of my "thoughts" journal I got for half price at Hobby Lobby. :biggrin:

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Dubya had a very rudimentary religious education. Remember, he told Chirac that he was fighting Gog and Magog. Newspaper theology is very popular with the fundamentalists.

rumsfeld manipulated W. by using images & bible verses contained within his daily briefings on iraq - to CONtinue feeding him the thoughts of 'righteousness', so that war would go on & on & on.............

“Under God” was not always part of the Pledge of Allegiance. It was added by law on June 14, 1954.
And meant as an establishment of a white, male Christian god in the U.S. government, as painted in the Sistine Chapel, not a recognition of a universal Creator acknowledged in many cultures throughout the globe. Why was the Creator portrayed as an elderly white male, when a fit, young Black man, or a stunning young woman of Asian descent, or any other of us could be portrayed as our Creator.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
And meant as an establishment of a white, male Christian god in the U.S. government, as painted in the Sistine Chapel, not a recognition of a universal Creator acknowledged in many cultures throughout the globe. Why was the Creator portrayed as an elderly white male, when a fit, young Black man, or a stunning young woman of Asian descent, or any other of us could be portrayed as our Creator.
SO? krishnah is blue. While making a picture of ALLAH is a capital crime-----it's ok
to "swear by the beard of allah" -----so long as it is muslim doing the swearing. I had a colleague from Jordan who told me about the
bar he frequented in Amman. I said "a bar
in Amman"? Isn't Jordan a muslim country?
The colleague was christian. He said----"of
course" and then told me about his muslim
friend "we met every day after school and he
would order two drinks for himself" "He
would say ""ONE FOR ALLAH AND ONE FOR
ME"" " <<< that would be a capital crime in lots of places. Even I could function in Jordan
and you too, Lysie

SO? krishnah is blue. While making a picture of ALLAH is a capital crime-----it's ok
to "swear by the beard of allah" -----so long as it is muslim doing the swearing. I had a colleague from Jordan who told me about the
bar he frequented in Amman. I said "a bar
in Amman"? Isn't Jordan a muslim country?
The colleague was christian. He said----"of
course" and then told me about his muslim
friend "we met every day after school and he
would order two drinks for himself" "He
would say ""ONE FOR ALLAH AND ONE FOR
ME"" " <<< that would be a capital crime in lots of places. Even I could function in Jordan
and you too, Surada

I spent about 6 weeks in Jordan. Its nice.

Those portrayals were about the ethnicity of the artist. Not a big deal IMO.

Those portrayals were about the ethnicity of the artist. Not a big deal IMO.
Unfortunately, many people formulate their ideas of who the Creator is according to art. BTW: I have always found Our Lady of Chzestochowa interesting. The Black Madonna.

Forum List

Back