The night democrats and republicans switched parties?

You can dispute the date but you can’t dispute that 95% of black Americans oppose the republicans and 95% of white nationalists and racists support the republicans. You tell me... what date did they switch?
And with that statement, you are 100% full of shit.
Name calling but no debate. Surrender Cobra flashed by you. I accept.
Ok... Feel free to show evidence of said statement. We can debate it. I have no idea why you would want to do that.. But ok.
3% registered black voters are republicans. Only 8% of blacks lean Republican. Suck it.
View attachment 351271

Why should we suck it? Blacks live under the control of the democrat party....and what do they have to show for it exactly?
That is correct. Democrats own pretty much every major city in the US, and it is the major cities where there is supposedly racism within those police departments.

And who runs those police departments? You guessed it, democrat mayors. So why are there calls to do away with the police departments and not the mayors who supposedly allow racism within those departments?

You can dispute the date but you can’t dispute that 95% of black Americans oppose the republicans and 95% of white nationalists and racists support the republicans. You tell me... what date did they switch?
Ok... Feel free to show evidence of said statement. We can debate it. I have no idea why you would want to do that.. But ok.
3% registered black voters are republicans. Only 8% of blacks lean Republican. Suck it.
View attachment 351271

Why should we suck it? Blacks live under the control of the democrat party....and what do they have to show for it exactly?
The whole OP is rubbishy attempting to deny that the same who fought to end slavery as Republicans are now fighting to end institutional racism as democrats. Suck it.
I think Republicans would love to have black votes but have no idea on how to go about it, unless you are suggesting they don't care about votes which is just retarded.

But any blacks who enter the GOP are treated worse than whites in the GOP. They are treated worse than dirt. Men like Ben Carsen, who rose to the top from poverty and the ghetto, should be celebrated as success stories by blacks, but instead are dragged through the mud as "Uncle Toms", every single time.

So as we can see, blacks and the DNC don't want blacks entering the GOP to change it. They like it just the way things are, which is a blind vote "D" no matter who is running and what they say when they run. This is why blacks have not progressed, and arguably digressed, since the Civil Rights movement.

It reminds me of Dementia Joe telling a black man that if does not vote for him, he is not really black. They guy just stared at him in disbelief trying to relay the fact that first he must give him a reason to vote for him, to which just glibly essentially said, "No I don't. You vote for me because of your skin color, end of story"

View attachment 351271
Republicans promise to get blacks to work
Democrats promise to keep blacks from needing to work

Blacks really don't like to work. Connect the dots

View attachment 351271
Republicans promise to get blacks to work
Democrats promise to keep blacks from needing to work

Blacks really don't like to work. Connect the dots
Thank you for proving my point. Shelzin Votto 2aguy This is the mentality of the Republicans. Only 3-8% of black Americans can stomach being associated with these guys in the Republican Party.

It has always struck me that on July 2, 1964, the day LBJ signed the Civil Rights act into law making it illegal to discriminate against people based on race, that the narrative became that the democrat party was for black and the GOP was racist.

For the sake of argument, let's say that is correct. Why would everyone in both parties, not just one man, switch their racisms? Has there ever been such a massive switch of belief of one group of people, let alone two groups of people? The stupidity of such an assertion is really mind numbingly outrageous.

But what children are not taught in schools, or in the media, or anywhere else for that matter, is that Republican President Eisenhower pushed for Civil Rights, and yes, he was opposed by a chorus of democrats. No matter, the The Civil Rights Act of 1957 was passed despite being filibustered by democrats.

But the Left would have you believe that in a dark room in 1964, the planets aligned as everything changed. The democrats had somehow changed overnight from a party that fought to keep slavery in the 1800's, and who started the KKK to resist the Republican party in 1865, and who fought Eisenhower on his Civil Rights legislation in 1957, had changed on the twinkling of an eye for no apparent reason.

It really is mind blowing, whether you believe it or don't believe it. It borders on the miraculous.

Since Eisenhower every Republican Presidential candidate has been demonized by the DNC as a racist. Even John McCain was demonized as a racist, although once McCain turned on Trump he miraculously became a stateman and nonracist right before he died.

Funny that.

BLM does not support republicans. The current biggest racial supremacy organization that kills people.

Americans support republicans. If America is too racist for you, you should move to somewhere else. I hear Africa is really anti-racist, as they are liquidating the whites so there you go.

It has always struck me that on July 2, 1964, the day LBJ signed the Civil Rights act into law making it illegal to discriminate against people based on race, that the narrative became that the democrat party was for black and the GOP was racist.

For the sake of argument, let's say that is correct. Why would everyone in both parties, not just one man, switch their racisms? Has there ever been such a massive switch of belief of one group of people, let alone two groups of people? The stupidity of such an assertion is really mind numbingly outrageous.

But what children are not taught in schools, or in the media, or anywhere else for that matter, is that Republican President Eisenhower pushed for Civil Rights, and yes, he was opposed by a chorus of democrats. No matter, the The Civil Rights Act of 1957 was passed despite being filibustered by democrats.

But the Left would have you believe that in a dark room in 1964, the planets aligned as everything changed. The democrats had somehow changed overnight from a party that fought to keep slavery in the 1800's, and who started the KKK to resist the Republican party in 1865, and who fought Eisenhower on his Civil Rights legislation in 1957, had changed on the twinkling of an eye for no apparent reason.

It really is mind blowing, whether you believe it or don't believe it. It borders on the miraculous.

Since Eisenhower every Republican Presidential candidate has been demonized by the DNC as a racist. Even John McCain was demonized as a racist, although once McCain turned on Trump he miraculously became a stateman and nonracist right before he died.

Funny that.

BLM does not support republicans. The current biggest racial supremacy organization that kills people.

Americans support republicans. If America is too racist for you, you should move to somewhere else. I hear Africa is really anti-racist, as they are liquidating the whites so there you go.
Uh, dumbass, 3M more Americans voted against republicans and it has worsened since. Americans support Democrats they just aren’t spread out to states in a manner that wins land votes. If you don’t like the upcoming reckoning of your party’s racism... move bitch.

Funny that.

Uh, dumbass, 3M more Americans voted against republicans and it has worsened since. Americans support Democrats they just aren’t spread out to states in a manner that wins land votes. If you don’t like the upcoming reckoning of your party’s racism... move bitch.

The people who democrats imported are not Americans.

And yes, they support communism just like in their home nations. Right now they are busy destroying everything they touch, including the statue of Thomas Jefferson, founder of USA. They hate this country.

Well, it wasn't a one day process.

First, More Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1957 than against it. (only 18 senators voted against it.)

So let's put in more of a sensible framework.

Prior to 1932, Republicans were the party of blacks and industrial workers in the North. They really didn't deserve it, as the GOP had abandoned working folks in favor of the wealthy in 1912 when they picked Taft over Teddy Roosevelt and the Progressives.

After 1932, those groups went Democratic, and the Southern (racist) Democrats were more effective of an opposition to FDR than the Republicans, who by 1936, were down to only 83 House members and 18 Senators.

So, yes, the Southern Racists were feeling LESS at home in the Democratic Party as NORTHERN Democrats kept voting for Civil Rights acts in 1957, 1964 and 1968.

The problem was, the GOP was willing to welcome them with open arms, starting with Nixon's Southern Strategy. Instead of saying, "Sorry, guys, the issue is settled, you lost!" the GOP kept taking the side of the racists to this very day.

Funny that.

And yes, they support communism just like in their home nations. Right now they are busy destroying everything they touch, including the statue of Thomas Jefferson, founder of USA. They hate this country.
No. They hate people who think like you in this country that they love.

Funny that.

Yes, they hate Americans.

That's what I implied.

The Southern Strategy!

Southern strategy - Wikipedia

The "Southern Strategy" refers primarily to "top down" narratives of the political realignment of the South which suggest that Republican leaders consciously appealed to many white Southerners' racial grievances in order to gain their support.[5] This top-down narrative of the Southern Strategy is generally believed to be the primary force that transformed Southern politics following the civil rights era.[6][7] This view has been questioned by historians such as Matthew Lassiter, Kevin M. Kruse and Joseph Crespino, who have presented an alternative, "bottom up" narrative, which Lassiter has called the "suburban strategy". This narrative recognizes the centrality of racial backlash to the political realignment of the South,[8] but suggests that this backlash took the form of a defense of de facto segregation in the suburbs rather than overt resistance to racial integration and that the story of this backlash is a national rather than a strictly Southern one.[9][10][11][12]

The perception that the Republican Party had served as the "vehicle of white supremacy in the South", particularly during the Goldwater campaign and the presidential elections of 1968 and 1972, made it difficult for the Republican Party to win back the support of black voters in the South in later years.[4] In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a national civil rights organization, for exploiting racial polarization to win elections and ignoring the black vote.[13][14]

Introduction

Richard Nixon campaigning in 1968

Although the phrase "Southern Strategy" is often attributed to Nixon's political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it[15] but popularized it.[16] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, Phillips stated his analysis based on studies of ethnic voting:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[1]

While Phillips sought to increase Republican power by polarizing ethnic voting in general, and not just to win the white South, the South was by far the biggest prize yielded by his approach. Its success began at the presidential level. Gradually, Southern voters began to elect Republicans to Congress and finally to statewide and local offices, particularly as some legacy segregationist Democrats retired or switched to the GOP.[who?] In addition, the Republican Party worked for years to develop grassroots political organizations across the South, supporting candidates for local school boards and city and county offices as examples, but following the Watergate scandal Southern voters came out in support for the "favorite son" candidate, Southern Democrat Jimmy Carter.

From 1948 to 1984, the Southern states, for decades a stronghold for the Democrats, became key swing states, providing the popular vote margins in the 1960, 1968 and 1976 elections. During this era, several Republican candidates expressed support for states' rights, a reversal of the position held by southern states prior to the Civil War. Some political analysts said this term was used in the 20th century as a "code word" to represent opposition to federal enforcement of civil rights for blacks and to federal intervention on their behalf; many individual southerners had opposed passage of the Voting Rights Act.[3]
That is a total myth.

Everyone of the racist Democrats stayed in their own party. All the signers of the Southern Manifesto that denied desegregation would ever happen in the South remained in that party except Strom Thurman.

The Southern Strategy Myth is just more bullshit lies from Democrats, the party of racial politics from day one in this Republic.

View attachment 351271
That's not what you said. Let me quote you what you said:

I'm not sure why you think I should suck anything. That did not prove the statement you said.
Are you stupid? I said 95% oppose republicans. Depending on how you wanna argue it’s between 3-8%. 5% is smack in the middle bitch.
I didn't get the edit in fast enough... And you didn't prove everything you said in that statement.

Ok... here we go again...

Always remember... I can't make you look stupid. Nobody here, can do that save one. They can't make you look like anything. You have to do it.
I showed you the Pew research that shows how few Black Americans support Republicans. Whether it’s 3% or 8% or 5% it’s a joke. You can’t deny the parties switched positions.
No... You showed registered voters. And left the independents out of it as if they opposed republicans as well.

And you seem to ignore the other thing you said... Why is that? Do I have to quote you again? I can't believe you still want to do this with me.

Funny that.

Yes, they hate Americans.

That's what I implied.
You’re not American. I bet you are punching keys from Moscow to push discord. Americans aren’t as racist as your posts. #ItsABot

Funny that.
The Republican party in their own words regarding the Southern Strategy.

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."
- Ken Mehlman RNC Chair

Not once but twice.

" For the last 40-plus years we had a ‘Southern Strategy’ that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, ‘Bubba’ went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton. "
-Michael Steele RNC chairman.

EOT/

Oh please, Jimmy Carter won the south.

View attachment 351271

I'm not sure why you think I should suck anything. That did not prove the statement you said.
Are you stupid? I said 95% oppose republicans. Depending on how you wanna argue it’s between 3-8%. 5% is smack in the middle bitch.
I didn't get the edit in fast enough... And you didn't prove everything you said in that statement.

Always remember... I can't make you look stupid. Nobody here, can do that save one. They can't make you look like anything. You have to do it.
I showed you the Pew research that shows how few Black Americans support Republicans. Whether it’s 3% or 8% or 5% it’s a joke. You can’t deny the parties switched positions.
No... You showed registered voters. And left the independents out of it as if they opposed republicans as well.

And you seem to ignore the other thing you said... Why is that? Do I have to quote you again? I can't believe you still want to do this with me.
Two stats. One was registered which was only 3%. The other was how they vote which forces independents to chose. That was 8%. Bam! That’s a landslide and supports my 95% claim.

Feel free to show some other figures that show your finger diarrhea has any merit.

Republicans are terrible for black Americans. Doesn’t mean Democrats are perfect but at least we don’t court white nationalist racists And are responsive to policy discussions to address race barriers.

I stand by 95% of white nationalists being Republican. That’s my observational assessment based on their public support.

View attachment 351271

The whole OP is rubbishy attempting to deny that the same who fought to end slavery as Republicans are now fighting to end institutional racism as democrats. Suck it.

The democrat party is institutional racism, you twit.........their core groups are racist, their leaders are racist, both bill clinton and barak obama were good friends with racists..........the parties didn't change sides, the democrat party simply changed tactics........instead of simply being white racists, they embraced racists of all skin colors because they want power.......and racism is their tool....

View attachment 351271

Two stats. One was registered which was only 3%. The other was how they vote which forces independents to chose. That was 8%. Bam! That’s a landslide and supports my 95% claim.

Feel free to show some other figures that show your finger diarrhea has any merit.

Republicans are terrible for black Americans. Doesn’t mean Democrats are perfect but at least we don’t court white nationalist racists And are responsive to policy discussions to address race barriers.

I stand by 95% of white nationalists being Republican. That’s my observational assessment based on their public support.

Every institution that Blacks are complaining about, from police to education, to movie and t.v. in Hollywood, are completely controlled by the democrat party......they control the cities with the worst outcomes for Black Americans.....

The democrats are racists, misogynists, and use racism and class warfare to gain money and power....that you don't see it means you are blind.

First, More Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1957 than against it. (only 18 senators voted against it.)

Prior to 1932, Republicans were the party of blacks and industrial workers in the North. They really didn't deserve it, as the GOP had abandoned working folks in favor of the wealthy in 1912 when they picked Taft over Teddy Roosevelt and the Progressives.

After 1932, those groups went Democratic, and the Southern (racist) Democrats were more effective of an opposition to FDR than the Republicans, who by 1936, were down to only 83 House members and 18 Senators.

So, yes, the Southern Racists were feeling LESS at home in the Democratic Party as NORTHERN Democrats kept voting for Civil Rights acts in 1957, 1964 and 1968.

The problem was, the GOP was willing to welcome them with open arms, starting with Nixon's Southern Strategy. Instead of saying, "Sorry, guys, the issue is settled, you lost!" the GOP kept taking the side of the racists to this very day.

There was no Southern Strategy.......you moron...

The Myth of the Racist Republicans - Claremont Review of Books

Electoral Patterns
In all these ways, the gop appears as the national party of the middle-class, not of white solidarity. And it is this interpretation, and not the myth, that is supported by the voting results. The myth's proponents highlight, and distort, a few key electoral facts: Southern white backlash was most heated in the 1960s, especially in the Deep South. It was then and there that the GOP finally broke through in the South, on the strength of Goldwater's appeals to states' rights. Democrats never again won the votes of most Southern whites. So Goldwater is said to have provided the electoral model for the GOP.

But hidden within these aggregate results are patterns that make no sense if white solidarity really was the basis for the GOP's advance. These patterns concern which Southern votes the GOP attracted, and when. How did the GOP's Southern advance actually unfold? We can distinguish between two sub-regions. The Peripheral South—Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, and Arkansas—contained many growing, urbanizing "New South" areas and much smaller black populations. Race loomed less large in its politics. In the more rural, and poorer, Deep South—Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana —black communities were much larger, and racial conflict was much more acute in the 1950s and '60s. Tellingly, the presidential campaigns of Strom Thurmond, Goldwater, and Wallace all won a majority of white votes in the Deep South but lost the white vote in the Peripheral South.

4/30/18

NOTE TO KANYE: No, The Republicans Didn’t Turn Into The Party Of Racism In The 1960s. Here’s The Proof.

Sean Trende of RealClearPolitics agrees: he says that the GOP gradually increased its support in the south from 1928 to 2010. As Dan McLaughlin summarizes, “As late as 2010, there were still states like Alabama and North Carolina that were voting in their first Republican legislative majorities since Reconstruction — something that would have happened overnight in the late 60s if the partisan realignment had been driven by lockstep white voting loyalties on racial lines.”
Second, it was southern Democrats fighting against the Civil Rights movement for the most part. In 1948 and 1968, insurgent Democrats launched anti-civil rights presidential campaigns. Civil rights bills required more Republican than Democratic support.
Finally, the myth of the southern strategy also suggests that today’s southerners vote for Republicans because they’re more racist than northerners. There’s no evidence to that effect, either. According to Gallup, “Southern Americans' ratings of race relations are currently about average when compared with those in other parts of the country.” The most segregated areas of the south are in major metropolitan areas — which tend to vote more heavily Democratic than their surrounding areas.
So don’t believe the hype, Kanye. The racist Democrats who propelled Democrats to victory remained Democrats.
------

And more on the mythical Southern Strategy.....this is the original New York Times Article....where it was stated that the attempt to get Nixon to appeal to racists was rejected........

see page 4, bottom of first column...

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/phillips-southern.pdf

Now.....a look at how the lie started.....

Ken Raymond
Jun 2011

Richard Nixon’s “Southern Strategy”, which the democrats say is the reason black people had to support them during the 1960′s–is a lie.

And it’s probably the biggest lie that’s been told to the blacks since Woodrow Wilson segregated the federal government after getting the NAACP to support him.
After talking with black voters across the country about why they overwhelmingly supports democrats, the common answer that’s emerges is the Southern Strategy.

I’ve heard of the Southern Strategy too. But since it doesn’t make a difference in how I decide to vote, I never bothered to research it. But apparently it still influences how many African Americans vote today. That makes it worth investigating.

For those that might be unfamiliar with the Southern Strategy, I’ll briefly review the story. After the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, most blacks registered as democrats and it’s been that way ever since.

And that doesn’t make any sense when you consider the fact that it was the democrats that established, and fought for, Jim Crow laws and segregation in the first place. And the republicans have a very noble history of fighting for the civil rights of blacks.

The reason black people moved to the democrats, given by media pundits and educational institutions for the decades, is that when republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon ran for president in 1968, he employed a racist plan that’s now infamously called the Southern Strategy.

The Southern Strategy basically means Nixon allegedly used hidden code words that appealed to the racists within the Democrat party and throughout the south. This secret language caused a seismic shift in the electoral landscape that moved the evil racist democrats into the republican camp and the noble-hearted republicans into the democrat camp.

And here’s what I found, Nixon did not use a plan to appeal to racist white voters.

First, let’s look at the presidential candidates of 1968. Richard Nixon was the republican candidate; Hubert Humphrey was the democrat nominee; and George Wallace was a third party candidate.

Remember George Wallace? Wallace was the democrat governor of Alabama from 1963 until 1967. And it was Wallace that ordered the Eugene “Bull” Connor, and the police department, to attack Dr. Martin Luther King

Jr. and 2,500 protesters in Montgomery , Alabama in 1965. And it was Governor Wallace that ordered a blockade at the admissions office at the University of Alabama to prevent blacks from enrolling in 1963.

Governor Wallace was a true racist and a determined segregationist. And he ran as the nominee from the American Independent Party, which was he founded.

Richard Nixon wrote about the 1968 campaign in his book RN: the Memoirs of Richard Nixon originally published in 1978.

In his book, Nixon wrote this about campaigning in the south, “The deep south had to be virtually conceded to George Wallace. I could not match him there without compromising on civil rights, which I would not do.”

The media coverage of the 1968 presidential race also showed that Nixon was in favor of the Civil Rights and would not compromise on that issue. For example, in an article published in theWashington Post on September 15, 1968 headlined “Nixon Sped Integration, Wallace says” Wallace declared that Nixon agreed with Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren and played a role in ”the destruction of public school system.” Wallace pledged to restore the school system, in the same article, by giving it back to the states ”lock, stock, and barrel.”

This story, as well as Nixon’s memoirs and other news stories during that campaign, shows that Nixon was very clear about his position on civil rights. And if Nixon was used code words only racists could hear, evidently George Wallace couldn’t hear it.

Among the southern states, George Wallace won Arkansas , Mississippi , Alabama , Georgia and Louisiana . Nixon won North Carolina , South Carolina , Florida , Virginia , and Tennessee . Winning those states were part of Nixon’s plan.

“I would not concede the Carolina ‘s, Florida , or Virginia or the states around the rim of the south,”Nixon wrote. ”These states were a part of my plan.”

At that time, the entire southern region was the poorest in the country. The south consistently lagged behind the rest of the United States in income. And according to the

“U.S. Regional Growth and Convergence,” by Kris James Mitchener and Ian W. McLean, per capita income for southerners was almost half as much as it was for Americans in other regions.

Nixon won those states strictly on economic issues. He focused on increasing tariffs on foreign imports to protect the manufacturing and agriculture industries of those states. Some southern elected officials agreed to support him for the sake of their economies, including South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond.

“I had been consulting privately with Thurmond for several months and I was convinced that he’d join my campaign if he were satisfied on the two issues of paramount concern to him: national defense and tariffs against textile imports to protect South Carolina ‘s position in the industry.”Nixon wrote in his memoirs.

In fact, Nixon made it clear to the southern elected officials that he would not compromise on the civil rights issue.

“On civil rights, Thurmond knew my position was very different from his,” Nixon wrote. “I was for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and he was against it. Although he disagreed with me, he respected my sincerity and candor.”

The same scenario played out among elected officials and voters in other southern states won by Nixon. They laid their feelings aside and supported him because of his economic platform’”not because Nixon sent messages on a frequency only racists can hear.

Nixon’s Southern Strategy: The Democrat-Lie Keeping Their Control Over the Black Community | Black Quill and Ink

Ken Raymond
Jun 2011

Richard Nixon’s “Southern Strategy”, which the democrats say is the reason black people had to support them during the 1960′s–is a lie.

And it’s probably the biggest lie that’s been told to the blacks since Woodrow Wilson segregated the federal government after getting the NAACP to support him.
After talking with black voters across the country about why they overwhelmingly supports democrats, the common answer that’s emerges is the Southern Strategy.

I’ve heard of the Southern Strategy too. But since it doesn’t make a difference in how I decide to vote, I never bothered to research it. But apparently it still influences how many African Americans vote today. That makes it worth investigating.

For those that might be unfamiliar with the Southern Strategy, I’ll briefly review the story. After the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, most blacks registered as democrats and it’s been that way ever since.

And that doesn’t make any sense when you consider the fact that it was the democrats that established, and fought for, Jim Crow laws and segregation in the first place. And the republicans have a very noble history of fighting for the civil rights of blacks.

The reason black people moved to the democrats, given by media pundits and educational institutions for the decades, is that when republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon ran for president in 1968, he employed a racist plan that’s now infamously called the Southern Strategy.

The Southern Strategy basically means Nixon allegedly used hidden code words that appealed to the racists within the Democrat party and throughout the south. This secret language caused a seismic shift in the electoral landscape that moved the evil racist democrats into the republican camp and the noble-hearted republicans into the democrat camp.

And here’s what I found, Nixon did not use a plan to appeal to racist white voters.

First, let’s look at the presidential candidates of 1968. Richard Nixon was the republican candidate; Hubert Humphrey was the democrat nominee; and George Wallace was a third party candidate.

Remember George Wallace? Wallace was the democrat governor of Alabama from 1963 until 1967. And it was Wallace that ordered the Eugene “Bull” Connor, and the police department, to attack Dr. Martin Luther King

Jr. and 2,500 protesters in Montgomery , Alabama in 1965. And it was Governor Wallace that ordered a blockade at the admissions office at the University of Alabama to prevent blacks from enrolling in 1963.

Governor Wallace was a true racist and a determined segregationist. And he ran as the nominee from the American Independent Party, which was he founded.

Richard Nixon wrote about the 1968 campaign in his book RN: the Memoirs of Richard Nixon originally published in 1978.

In his book, Nixon wrote this about campaigning in the south, “The deep south had to be virtually conceded to George Wallace. I could not match him there without compromising on civil rights, which I would not do.”

The media coverage of the 1968 presidential race also showed that Nixon was in favor of the Civil Rights and would not compromise on that issue. For example, in an article published in theWashington Post on September 15, 1968 headlined “Nixon Sped Integration, Wallace says” Wallace declared that Nixon agreed with Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren and played a role in ”the destruction of public school system.” Wallace pledged to restore the school system, in the same article, by giving it back to the states ”lock, stock, and barrel.”

This story, as well as Nixon’s memoirs and other news stories during that campaign, shows that Nixon was very clear about his position on civil rights. And if Nixon was used code words only racists could hear, evidently George Wallace couldn’t hear it.

Among the southern states, George Wallace won Arkansas , Mississippi , Alabama , Georgia and Louisiana . Nixon won North Carolina , South Carolina , Florida , Virginia , and Tennessee . Winning those states were part of Nixon’s plan.

“I would not concede the Carolina ‘s, Florida , or Virginia or the states around the rim of the south,”Nixon wrote. ”These states were a part of my plan.”

At that time, the entire southern region was the poorest in the country. The south consistently lagged behind the rest of the United States in income. And according to the

“U.S. Regional Growth and Convergence,” by Kris James Mitchener and Ian W. McLean, per capita income for southerners was almost half as much as it was for Americans in other regions.

Nixon won those states strictly on economic issues. He focused on increasing tariffs on foreign imports to protect the manufacturing and agriculture industries of those states. Some southern elected officials agreed to support him for the sake of their economies, including South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond.

“I had been consulting privately with Thurmond for several months and I was convinced that he’d join my campaign if he were satisfied on the two issues of paramount concern to him: national defense and tariffs against textile imports to protect South Carolina ‘s position in the industry.”Nixon wrote in his memoirs.

In fact, Nixon made it clear to the southern elected officials that he would not compromise on the civil rights issue.

“On civil rights, Thurmond knew my position was very different from his,” Nixon wrote. “I was for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and he was against it. Although he disagreed with me, he respected my sincerity and candor.”

The same scenario played out among elected officials and voters in other southern states won by Nixon. They laid their feelings aside and supported him because of his economic platform’”not because Nixon sent messages on a frequency only racists can hear.

On the Southern Strategy lie itself......

Believe it or not, the entire myth was created by an unknown editor at the New York Times who didn’t do his job and read a story he was given to edit.

On May 17, 1970, the New York Times published an article written by James Boyd. The headline, written by our unknown editor, was “Nixon’s Southern Strategy: It’s All in the Charts.”

The article was about a very controversial political analyst named Kevin Phillips. Phillips believed that everyone voted according to their ethnic background, not according to their individual beliefs. And all a candidate had to do is frame their message according to whatever moves a particular ethnic group.

Phillips offered his services to the Nixon campaign. But if our unknown editor had bothered to read the story completely, he would’ve seen that Phillip’s and his theory was completely rejected!

Boyd wrote in his article, “Though Phillips’s ideas for an aggressive anti-liberal campaign strategy that would hasten defection of the working-class democrats to the republicans did not prevail in the 1968 campaign, he won the respect John Mitchell.” (Mitchell was a well-known Washington insider at the time).

A lazy, negligent editor partially read the story. And wrote a headline for it that attributed Nixon’s campaign success–to a plan he rejected.

In fact, Phillips isn’t even mentioned in Nixon’s memoirs.

Is all of this the result of a negligent copy editor at the New York Times? Or did they purposely work with the Democrat Party to create this myth? That has crossed my mind and it’s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility

Last edited:
Sorry but the Civil Rights bill was a North/South fight all over again. Democrats and Republican in the South voted overwhelmingly against while those in the North voted for. The people in the South still supported their representatives in Congress because they voted against it. There was no seismic shift in 1964. Just a gradual shift over several decades and now the South has become a reliable Republican stronghold.

Forum List

Back