the modern concept of a zoo

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Should animals be kept in a confined artificial environment for entertainment? Ironically it seems that many modern animal rights groups are funded by gigantic corporations who exploit (and abuse?) animals for profit.

I think the question that should be asked first is, would you want to live your entire life in a cage, in an unnatural setting, for the sole purpose of being stared at and considered entertainment? :)

I think that most zoos exhibit animals that were born in captivity but that's a shame too. I think circus acts are prohibited from keeping elephants and other animals. At least I hope so.

Should animals be kept in a confined artificial environment for entertainment? Ironically it seems that many modern animal rights groups are funded by gigantic corporations who exploit (and abuse?) animals for profit.

The zoo situation is not ideal. Its probably better than the lives your nugget chickens lived before getting shipped to Burger Checkers though.

There is SOME scientific study going on at the zoo, also some chance some big hunting cat might not go extinct totally if zoo's have enough. Plus, there is the "taking it for the team" factor. That rhino in the zoo just might be the animal which looks cool enough some kid wants to go into some wildlife care field, some guy decides only to buy a 400 HP Challenger, or some protestor decides its time to go stand outside a factory making this or that chemical.

So while not ideal for any one animal I am considerably in favor of zoo's existing. I think in the future we might see more "Jurassic Park" type zoos FWIW and it will be for the best. Oh, and I mean big sprawling affairs, not re-engineered dinosaurs.

The zoo situation is not ideal. Its probably better than the lives your nugget chickens lived before getting shipped to Burger Checkers though.

There is SOME scientific study going on at the zoo, also some chance some big hunting cat might not go extinct totally if zoo's have enough. Plus, there is the "taking it for the team" factor. That rhino in the zoo just might be the animal which looks cool enough some kid wants to go into some wildlife care field, some guy decides only to buy a 400 HP Challenger, or some protestor decides its time to go stand outside a factory making this or that chemical.

So while not ideal for any one animal I am considerably in favor of zoo's existing. I think in the future we might see more "Jurassic Park" type zoos FWIW and it will be for the best. Oh, and I mean big sprawling affairs, not re-engineered dinosaurs.
If you wanna compare chickens destined for mc nuggets to freaking animals displayed for money in zoos there is no sense in having a discussion.

If you wanna compare freaking chickens destined for mc nuggets to freaking animals displayed for money in zoos there is no sense in having a discussion.

The difference in your statement is one is there for money, and the other is there for money?

Did you wanna say the zoo's pretend to be for the good of the animals and the chickens are obviously for eating? That's logical. I disagree as stated above.

I dunno if the chicken destined to be a nugget is really THAT less deserving of a reasonable life than the yak in the zoo is though.

But yeah, I think the big CITY zoo's are going to be changing over the next century. The St Louis zoo just bought some worthless land on the far north side from a union/mafia group and is going to use the couple hundred acres as a breeding ground. I bet it ends up looking like this "Grant's Farm" place in St Louis also where you can ride a tram thing through and see some animals roaming or hang in the petting area.

I think the question that should be asked first is, would you want to live your entire life in a cage, in an unnatural setting, for the sole purpose of being stared at and considered entertainment? :)

The cage style zoo, at least in the west, hasn't been around in decades.

Most zoos try to mimic the natural environment of the animals kept.

Forum List

Back