The latest nonsense: liberal county removes late fees in library books to “maintain equity”

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
What they’re basically saying is that the poor blacks are more impacted by late fees than affluent whites, so they’re abolishing fines all together in an effort to “keep access.”

How do poor people not have access? They get free use of the library like anyone. In fact, one could argue that the library, paid for by property taxes that the poor people don’t pay, benefit MORE from a free library! All they have do is RETURN THE BOOKS ON TIME.

What they’re basically saying is that the poor blacks are more impacted by late fees than affluent whites, so they’re abolishing fines all together in an effort to “keep access.”

How do poor people not have access? They get free use of the library like anyone. In fact, one could argue that the library, paid for by property taxes that the poor people don’t pay, benefit MORE from a free library! All they have do is RETURN THE BOOKS ON TIME.

Much of the US has gone totally crazy.

I haven't used a public library in YEARS. Except sometimes to sit in and read: peaceful. I hate late fines. Does anyone use libraries? except the Homeless sitting in there and stinking up the place. That got more and more of a problem in the latter days of my going to libraries; hmmmmm, I wonder if that was part of my transition.

But I know what being rich is: it's being able to buy all the books I want!! And not to have to give them back!

Mind you, used books are plentiful and incredibly cheap right now, and it is SO much faster and easier to buy books than read them ----

There's a problem here somewhere. Have to figure it out. I think there's some paper underneath that stack of books -------

In the article, they refer to overdue fines as “a significant barrier to equitable access.” Oye. Just return the books in time ans you sit have to pay ANY fines.

Liberals excuse all levels of irresponsible behavior.

I haven't used a public library in YEARS. Except sometimes to sit in and read: peaceful. I hate late fines. Does anyone use libraries? except the Homeless sitting in there and stinking up the place. That got more and more of a problem in the latter days of my going to libraries; hmmmmm, I wonder if that was part of my transition.

But I know what being rich is: it's being able to buy all the books I want!! And not to have to give them back!

Mind you, used books are plentiful and incredibly cheap right now, and it is SO much faster and easier to buy books than read them ----

There's a problem here somewhere. Have to figure it out. I think there's some paper underneath that stack of books -------
Actually, I used to love to go the library, and browse the collections. But the homeless did indeed run me out of the place with their smell. It got so bad that the county even replaced the carpeting - at taxpayer expense of course - and the place smelled decent for a week. After that, it was Eau de Homeless.

When poor they don't have much of a chance either.
They have a wonderful chance to borrow books at no cost to themselves. All they have to do is return the books on time, so someone else can enjoy them.

Now, with this new policy, what incentive is there to return books at all? They can keep them out for months, and depriving OTHER poor people of the chance to read them.

Actually, I used to love to go the library, and browse the collections. But the homeless did indeed run me out of the place with their smell. It got so bad that the county even replaced the carpeting - at taxpayer expense of course - and the place smelled decent for a week. After that, it was Eau de Homeless.
Strong urine component, right. They really reek, and not just of urine! Interesting that did make you change your mind about using libraries. I knew a woman who ran the library in a local library, unfortunately in a black area, and an aggressive, threatening homeless came in daily. She finally got the police to keep him out of there, but it took MONTHS!

Our local BJs warehouse store was always trying to hire impaired people (couldn't get normals, I guess) and one day they had a homeless white guy at the cashier. He was mild-mannered and had strangely soft, delicate hands. And he REEKED!! I mean FEET away, what a smell! I said not a word: I know my county and knew other people would make a beeline for the management area to complain.

He was never there again.

They have a wonderful chance to borrow books at no cost to themselves. All they have to do is return the books on time, so someone else can enjoy them.

Now, with this new policy, what incentive is there to return books at all? They can keep them out for months, and depriving OTHER poor people of the chance to read them.
Good point. Would *I* have returned them? Not on time, but I hope I would have. yeah, once I found a book in my stacks from another state system and felt incredibly guilty! I mailed it back, NOT with any fine, however. Well, maybe on time if it was one of those "lots of people in line to read it" books. No, I just can't do all that anymore. That's yucky. I want to underline with a clear ruler and I want to KEEP the books I like.

But I think you are right --- irresponsible people would never return the books. The library could pretty easily bar them from checking more out in that case, though.

Strong urine component, right. They really reek, and not just of urine! Interesting that did make you change your mind about using libraries. I knew a woman who ran the library in a local library, unfortunately in a black area, and an aggressive, threatening homeless came in daily. She finally got the police to keep him out of there, but it took MONTHS!

Our local BJs warehouse store was always trying to hire impaired people (couldn't get normals, I guess) and one day they had a homeless white guy at the cashier. He was mild-mannered and had strangely soft, delicate hands. And he REEKED!! I mean FEET away, what a smell! I said not a word: I know my county and knew other people would make a beeline for the management area to complain.

He was never there again.
The situation is even worse near me. The homeless were hanging out around the entrance, making lewd remarks to the 13-year-old girls who parents had dropped them off.

But here’s how ridiculous some of the liberals were: they were so determined to side with the homeless (the oppressed) that their answer was NOT to bar homeless from hanging around at the front, but to instead say that parents should keep their young teen girls oit of the library.

Good point. Would *I* have returned them? Not on time, but I hope I would have. yeah, once I found a book in my stacks from another state system and felt incredibly guilty! I mailed it back, NOT with any fine, however. Well, maybe on time if it was one of those "lots of people in line to read it" books. No, I just can't do all that anymore. That's yucky. I want to underline with a clear ruler and I want to KEEP the books I like.

But I think you are right --- irresponsible people would never return the books. The library could pretty easily bar them from checking more out in that case, though.
I’m sure if the irresponsible people who didn’t return books were barred, we’d have another contingent of liberals blabbing on about “barriers to access.”

How devastating!!!! :heehee:

If you can get to a library to check out a book, you can get to a library to return it on time.

Just another chink in the armor of people having to take responsibility or have consideration of others.

I never did agree with late fees on library books.
So you should just be able to keep the books you borrow for months on end, depriving others of the pleasure of reading those books? No punishment at all for violating the rules?

Gee here's a thought

Return the books on time

So you should just be able to keep the books you borrow for months on end, depriving others of the pleasure of reading those books? No punishment at all for violating the rules?
No, if you don't return the book you are banned from the library.

No, if you don't return the book you are banned from the library.
I’d go for that, but leftists will cry that it’s an “obstacle to access” for the low-income who aren’t returning books.

Forum List

Back