The idea that abortion should be left up to the states is a stupid arbitrary position republicans embrace purely for political reasons

is there something in the constitution that makes this known? No of course not. Republicans in office are simply conveniently embracing this idea to soften their stances post Roe being overturned. They are such cowards. They will say anything to help their chances in an election. How does anyone justify voting them? They don’t have any actual principles.

Hell, as much as I am pro-choice, I at least give credit to Graham and Pence for having a genuine principled stance on issue before an election. The rest of them though? Spineless, international embarrassments.
Perhaps the goddamned LibProgs shouldn't have made Abortion a Recreational Sport right up to the moment of birth? Or PP selling baby-parts?

The OP needs a little history lesson.

This country was founded by thirteen separate colonies which all wanted to retain as much of their sovereignty as possible, while consolidating the government functions that could best be done on a consolidated basis. That list of consolidated functions is detailed in Article I, Section 8.

EVERYTHING ELSE, aside from that short list of consolidated functions, remains with the States. So if a matter is not mentioned in Article I, it is, by default, a matter for the individual states to decide. Family law, property law, crimes against people (murder, theft, assault, etc.) are all retained by the states.

Abortion ain't on the list.

This is not complicated.

If that makes you uncomfortable, petition your Congressman and your state Reps to propose and pass a Constitutional Amendment. But be aware, a super-majority will be required.

Wrong.
If it were so, that everything not authorized to the federal government were then authorized to the states, there would not have been a Civil War.
The 14th amendment specifically authorized the federal government to protect INDIVIDUAL rights from the states.
What you have wrong is assuming there is only state or federal authority.
That is wrong.
The reality is there is only the authority of individual rights, and both states and the federal government only BORROW that delegated authority when necessary, in order to protect individual rights.
Neither states nor the federal government are at all a source of any legal authority.

The states were powerful autocracies when they were created by the royal dictatorship, but lost all that fake legal authority once we rebelled and created a republic instead.
In a republic, the defense of inherent individual rights is the only source of any legal authority at all.

Wrong. Abortion is a state issue because the Supreme Court said so. Marriage laws are different from state to state. Same-sex marriage will be left to each state to determine. Deal with it.

The SCOTUS is not a dictatorship and can not legally say that abortion is a state issue.
Clearly the SCOTUS was using theology to come up with that idea, and is totally wrong.
Science tells us a fetus is NOT a human being by any imagination.

Perhaps the goddamned LibProgs shouldn't have made Abortion a Recreational Sport right up to the moment of birth? Or PP selling baby-parts?

Fetal stem cells are from early fetuses, and they were NOT selling "baby-parts".

There has always been recognition of the individual right to privacy as one of the most significant, after life and livelihood.
What you seem to forget is that individual rights are infinite, so never can be listed, and the Constitution specifically never intended to list them.
Privacy is a well recognized individual right under Common Law, for centuries.

The Constitution is meant to protect them, IF listed in the document.

Do I have the right to hit you over the head with a rubber gag mallet every day at 1:00 PM?

Wrong.
The 10th amendment only limits the federal government, but does NOT at all give states any jurisdiction over personal rights.
And the 14th amendment strictly prohibits any state jurisdiction over personal rights.
Not wrong at all, Professor.
I never said the 10th "gives states any jurisdiction over personal rights".
The OP stated "The idea that abortion should be left up to the states is a stupid arbitrary position".
There is nothing arbitrary in the 10th Amendment:
'The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.'
Try again.

Does your privacy entitle you to kill? Can your privacy, as a parent, entitle you to beat your children or kill others?

The argument for privacy is an argument for competing rights. It is the State's (note, this means the state, not the Federal Government) responsibility to do the least harm when rights conflict. In this case, not being able to kill your child, born or preborn, along with the right to rape, maiming, torture, or otherwise abuse of children/people is the least harmful intervention of government. As such, privacy is tertiary.

In the end, the right to privacy is dependent upon what you want to do with the privacy. If your privacy harms no other person, then yes; the government has no business being in yours.
"Kill?"

Are you ready to arrest, prosecute and jail women who have had abortions?

is there something in the constitution that makes this known? No of course not. Republicans in office are simply conveniently embracing this idea to soften their stances post Roe being overturned. They are such cowards. They will say anything to help their chances in an election. How does anyone justify voting them? They don’t have any actual principles.

Hell, as much as I am pro-choice, I at least give credit to Graham and Pence for having a genuine principled stance on issue before an election. The rest of them though? Spineless, international embarrassments.

You've never heard of the 10th amendment?

LOL!

Does this mean you support the 1st or 2nd amendments not being federally protected?
Women dont have a national constitutional right to kill their children

If anythng, unborn children have a right to protection from liberals who want to murder them

But if blue states want to allow abortion they can

Forum List

Back