The hypocrisy of illegal immigration

Most have no idea what it is they are protesting. All they know is, people tell them that Trump is "bad" and hates minorities.

I don't see the hypocrisy of which you write in your OP. Would you please identify what specific hypocritical claims you've heard of coming from people who matter and have been entrusted with enforcing U.S. policy/laws. (I'm not interested in what the gallery of rogues and nitwits may have said.)

Border Crossings – Even as the number of agents stationed at the border has increased, the number of unauthorized immigrants caught trying to cross the U.S.-Mexico border fell to 331,333 last fiscal year [2015]. That’s a reduction of 53 percent compared with the 705,005 unauthorized immigrants apprehended at the southwest border in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, 2008, less than four months before Obama first took office.

The number of agents stationed at the U.S.-Mexico border nearly doubled under President Bush, growing from 9,147 agents at the southwest border in fiscal year 2001 to 17,408 in FY 2009, under funding levels established by Bush. Under Obama, that number continued to increase, hitting a peak of 18,611 in FY 2013. The number declined to 17,522 in the last fiscal year, about 1 percent above the number Obama inherited.
Source

See also: Findings show as of October 2016, 90% drop in illegal entries in 10 years

Unless someone presents firm evidence that border agents have taken to ignoring people who illegally try to enter the U.S. at our borders -- via the wilderness route, in airports, on ships, and at road and rail crossings -- it appears, at the federal level at least, we have for decades observed a consistent and committed effort to curtail illegal immigration.

Has anyone (again, anyone who matters, not the loons who are likely to post all sorts of foolishness on USMB) actually said we should not enforce the laws we have on the books? I haven't heard resounding cries indicating that we should not deport illegal immigrants in accordance with existing laws and as far as I know, all current Presidential Administrations have enforced the existing immigration laws:
Additionally, I have heard of both Democratic and Republican leaders -- Orrin Hatch, Richard Lugar, Harry Reid, John MCCain, Ted Kennedy, Chuck Hagel and Lindsay Graham among them -- supporting the DACA policy/DREAM Act.

What I have seen is various Democratic elected leaders ask of ICE officials questions about how they are prioritizing their enforcement efforts. I don't think it at all unreasonable to inquire about the prioritization of deportation efforts. Moreover, as there are some ~11M of them, I think it makes sense to focus first on the illegal immigrants who have participated in criminal activity other than merely being illegally present in the U.S. Of course, the time will come when even those illegal immigrants must be deported, but focusing on getting that class of illegal immigrants out of the country before we deal with the more dangerous ones is the wrong prioritization.

Forum List

Back