CDZ The Great Gun Debate

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Setting aside 2nd Amendment/legal arguments, I would like to dissect this issue into discrete elements for reasoned discussion:

Definition of Assault Weapons

1. Appearance (wood vs. plastic)

2. Magazine capacity

3. Conversion to automatic operation (i.e., machine gun)

4. Type of Ammunition

Sale and Ownership

1. Military vs. Civilian use

2. Hunting vs. Self Defense

3. Restrictions on purchase

4. Federal vs. State requirements

Feel free to add others, but I am interested in which elements are most important to you. For example, I am more concerned with high capacity magazines and potential conversion to automatic operation than with appearance. Also, I am more concerned about federal requirements, since that would necessarily create the basis for a national list of gun ownership.

What are you principal concerns?

Limiting magazine size is important. Any time one person has the ability to kill many others, society will feel the rod of the tyrant.

Of equal importance is prohibiting those with a record of tyrannical behavior from owning and carrying any weapon. This would include violent felons, domestic abusers, those espousing terrorist agendas and sympathies, etc.

My main concerns are simple.

Any laws which are passed must not negate or infringe upon the Constitutional right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and in defense of the security of our various States.

I am glad to know you have dissected the issue, as you so have wrote. Very useful indeed, clarifies much. (No sarcasm; I am honest and agree not only with your method but with your results)

Could you comment also on non-automated metal (any inert, post-polished, post-industrially-manipulated mineral aggregate molded into carrion shape size for or by mammals)?

Limiting magazine size is important. Any time one person has the ability to kill many others, society will feel the rod of the tyrant.

Of equal importance is prohibiting those with a record of tyrannical behavior from owning and carrying any weapon. This would include violent felons, domestic abusers, those espousing terrorist agendas and sympathies, etc.
Has the history of alcohol Prohibition and that of the current drug war not clearly demonstrated to you that the ultimate effect of banning anything for which there is a profitable demand is the creation of a thriving black market?

Do you believe that banning any type of firearm will prevent those with unlawful intentions, and some money, from obtaining them?

How many of the gun-related crimes reported every day in America are committed with legally-owned and carried firearms?

Has the history of alcohol Prohibition and that of the current drug war not clearly demonstrated to you that the ultimate effect of banning anything for which there is a profitable demand is the creation of a thriving black market?

Do you believe that banning any type of firearm will prevent those with unlawful intentions, and some money, from obtaining them?

How many of the gun-related crimes reported every day in America are committed with legally-owned and carried firearms?

I don't support banning firearms. I do support banning the sale of new high capacity magazines. Older large magazines should require a tax stamp like other destructive weapons.

First of all, I would ban all pistols / hand guns.

Citizens could only legally own a shot gun. Double barrel or 3 shell capacity for bird hunting or home defense.

And the only legal long gun would be a bolt action hunting rifle with a maximum 5 round capacity.

I don't support banning firearms. I do support banning the sale of new high capacity magazines. Older large magazines should require a tax stamp like other destructive weapons.
There is nothing new about high-capacity magazines. They have been around for as long as their respective parent weapons have, AR, AK, Mini-14, etc., and many millions of them have been sold. Right now the average price for a 30-round magazine is around $15. Ban them and the price will rise to $50 on the black market and the Chinese knock-offs will start rolling in.

You may rest assured there are individuals who presently are buying up all the high-cap magazines they can (without attracting attention) in anticipation of the coming ban. It's a premium investment.

The only thing bans achieve is that of depriving well-intentioned, law-abiding citizens from obtaining something they'd like to have. The criminal element has no trouble getting anything they want -- provided they have the cash.

Last edited:
There is nothing new about high-capacity magazines. They have been around for as long as their respective parent weapons have, AR, AK, Mini-14, etc., and many millions of them have been sold. Right now the average price for a 30-round magazine is around $15. Ban them and the price will rise to $50 on the black market and the Chinese knock-offs will start rolling in.

You may rest assured there are individuals who presently are buying up all the high-cap magazines they can (without attracting attention) in anticipation of the coming ban. It's a premium investment.

The only thing bans achieve is that of depriving well-intentioned, law-abiding citizens from obtaining something they'd like to have. The criminal element has no trouble getting anything they want -- provided they have the cash.

Newly produced. Don't need to confiscate any antique 1911s or anything. Just keep track of existing magazines like we do with grenade launchers, short-barrelled rifles, etc. There is plenty of precedent for such a common sense reform to draw upon.

How would you enforce that ban?

If you could not effectively remove all handguns from society, then only defiant criminals would retain them. The law-abiding citizens would comply with your ban, thus making themselves vulnerable to armed criminals and crazies.

You know, you are going to have to ban 3d printers too. Right?

Of course the 3d printers are slow and expensive so until that technology improves. . . good luck tracking down and forcing criminals to account for and to pay taxes on all the countless millions of existing hi cap mags out there.

How would you enforce that ban? If you could not effectively remove all handguns from society, then only defiant criminals would retain them. The law-abiding citizens would comply with your ban, thus making themselves vulnerable to armed criminals and crazies.
Simple

Mandatory 20 year prison sentence for anyone caught with a hand gun.

Within a decade handguns would disappear in America. ........ :cool:

This should include Democrat politicians like Hillary. However, rich one percenters like her don't need to carry a gun since they have plenty of guards packing Uzis to protect her.

Sorry, kid, but the tyrants are mentally ill dumbasses like Loughner, Lanza and Mateen. The real threat of tyranny are those who hold positions of power like Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are seeking to do. Why do you want to give them even more power over our lives?

Citizens could only legally own a shot gun. Double barrel or 3 shell capacity for bird hunting or home defense.

And the only legal long gun would be a bolt action hunting rifle with a maximum 5 round capacity.
Of course you would. That's the ultimate aim of the anti-gun Left. First they ban "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines then they move to ban all semi-automatic pistols and rifles. It's been their plan since 1968.

The only difference is you admit it and most LWers, like Hillary Clinton, are lying motherfuckers who hide their true intentions.

You seem to make no distinction between ordinary citizens (caught with a hand gun) and criminals (committing a crime with a gun). Would you also abolish concealed carry permits? Do you have a "Gun-free Zone" placard on your front lawn?

How would you enforce that ban? If you could not effectively remove all handguns from society, then only defiant criminals would retain them. The law-abiding citizens would comply with your ban, thus making themselves vulnerable to armed criminals and crazies.
Simple

Within a decade handguns would disappear in America. ........ :cool:

Let's see. . . . a person can get Life in prison or even the Death Penalty for committing the crime of MURDER. So, using your logic, those penalties should have all but ridded the world of murderers by now.

Has it?

Forum List

Back