The Gospel According to John

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
This thread is dedicated to Lord Jesus Christ. It is the Book of John. Some people do not own a bible. By being able to read the bible on USMB they do not have to leave the board to look up a scripture they can just go to USMB and look up the Book, Chapter and verse. I would love to be able to type out the entire New Testament on USMB and perhaps that will happen but for now we can begin with the book of John.

The introduction to the Book of John from my bible is the following:

Just as a coin has two sides, both valid, so Jesus Christ has two natures, both valid. Luke presents Christ in his humanity as the Son of Man, John portrays Him in His deity as the Son of God. John's purpose is crystal clear, to set forth Christ in His deity in order to spark believing faith in his readers, John's gospel is topical, not primarily chronological, and it revolves around seven miracles and seven "I am" statements from Christ.

Following an extended eyewitness description of the Upper Room meal and discourse, John records events leading up to the Resurrection, the final climactic proof that Jesus is who He claims to be - the Son of God.

The title of the Fourth Gospel follows the same format as the titles of the synoptic Gospels: Kata Ioannen, "According to John." As with the others, the word "Gospel" was added later. Ioannes is derived from the Hebrew name Johanan. "Yahweh Has Been Gracious."

This is from NELSON 2625 Bible Authorized King James Version from Thomas Nelson Bibles - A division of Thomas Nelson, Inc. Thomas Nelson

John has always been my least favorite Gospel. It was written last so it is most likely the least accurate depiction of Jesus' life and focuses on Jesus' divinity and downplays his humanity.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was with God in the beginning. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them who believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, ( and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. 16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

-
John 1: 1-18

19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?
20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou E-li'-as? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, no.
22 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?
23 He said, I am THE VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS, MAKE STRAIGHT THE WAY OF THE LORD, as said the prophet E-sa'-ias.
24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.
25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou not be that Christ, nor E-li'-as, neither that prophet?
26 John answered then, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.
28 These things were done in Beth-ab'-a-ra beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.

- John 1: 19-28

While waiting for her fingers to regain their feeling, there's about a million websites with the Bible on them. With Search/Find fetaures and everything. :)

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. 30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not; but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

- John 1: 29-34

I did notice that--in addition to being the most supernatural of the gospels--it is the only one that states the divinity of Jesus.

So glad you are reading the Gospel of John, Agit8r. I am going to add a small message or two from some great sermons of old to compliment each chapter from the Gospel of John tomorrow. God willing. You may find that to be an added benefit in your study time.

Returning to the Book of John. First I have a devotional for what was already written and a worship song I cut and pasted for this thread. This song is a perfect depiction of worship as the LORD spoke about true worship -with the woman at the well in John 4. We worship God in Spirit and in truth. This song has the presence of the LORD abiding in it. It is wonderful when the Spirit of the LORD shows up! Listen to this!

The Divine Order - Sermon - devotional message - excerpt from Smith Wigglesworth in Nelson's Authorized King James version bible - 2625 Thomas Nelson

This devotion is based on John 1: 1

Faith brings us into the kingdom of God-out of a natural order and into a divine order with divine power for promotion, charged by the divine power of God, by Another greater than we, a divine order.
A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God. With only God to help, we are in an excellent place, God will change the situation, "Not I, but Christ" ( Galatians 2: 20 )

There is a new divine order where God works the miracle. God waits for us to act.
What there is for us in this mighty baptism of the Holy Spirit! We are baptized by the same Spirit into one body.....with our whole beings aflame with the same passion that Jesus had, for Jesus said in Acts 1:8, "Ye shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you."
Jesus said this just before he ascended into heaven. He was clothed with grace, and His last moments on earth were filled with the power of the Spirit. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus gave to man, which was so truly manifested in Him, promising power like He had. He was going, but the work had to continue. Those he left behind on earth were to be thus clothed, thus charged with divine power by the divine working of the Spirit.
Some have thought that this wonderful baptism in the Spirit would quiet down. It reminds me of one of the locomotive engines. When Stephenson got it all ready, he was eager for his sister Mary to see it. When Mary saw it, she said, "John, it will never go. It will never go." Stephenson said to his sister, "Get in!" He pressed a button, and the engine went. Then she said, "Oh John! Oh, John, it will never stop, it will never stop!

We know that as we waited and prayed, it looked as if the baptism would never come. But it did come, and now we know it will never stop. We had the sense to wait until it did come, But now, when I see people seeking the Holy Spirit - do you know, beloved, that I believe it is wrong to wait for the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is waiting for us.

The Holy Spirit is waiting for us,. The Holy Spirit has come, and He will not return until the church goes to be with her LORD forever. So when I see people waiting, I know something is wrong. The Holy Spirit is revealing uncleanness judging, hardness of heart, all impurity. Until the process of cleansing is complete, the Holy Spirit cannot come.

But when the body is clean, sanctified, Jesus delights to fill us with His Holy Spirit. I know that it will never stop, we are wholly God's in the process of cleansing. The Holy Spirit is preparing our bodies as temples for the Spirit, to be made like Jesus is.

It is written:

35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; 36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! 37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. 38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
39 He saith unto them, Come and see, They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Mess'-as, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.
42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shall be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

John 1:35-42

John has always been my least favorite Gospel. It was written last so it is most likely the least accurate depiction of Jesus' life and focuses on Jesus' divinity and downplays his humanity.

Anti-Semitism is rampant in John. No other "NEW" testament writing has as great an anti-Judaic thrust as found in John. Its attack against the individual Jew, “the Jews” and the Jewish observance of the Hebrew bible all reflect the early church’s extreme anti-Semitic stance.

The Gospel of John and Anti-Jewish Polemic

Over twelve years ago Samuel Sandmel correctly observed, “John is widely regarded as either the most anti-Semitic or at least the most overtly anti-Semitic of the gospels.” Little has been done to ameliorate that harsh judgment since it was first written. While efforts have been made to soften the tone of the Gospel of John when it comes to Jews and Judaism, a reading of the Gospel tends to confirm Sandmel’s judgment."

The Gospel of John and Anti-Jewish Polemic American Interfaith Institute

43 The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him,
Follow me.
44 Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip findeth Nathanael and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
47 Jesus saw Nathaniel coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
48 Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou was under the fig tree, I saw thee.
49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, thou art the king of Israel.
50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.
51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

-John 1: 43-51

2 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there; 2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.
3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

6 And there were set there 6 waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they fill them to the brim.
8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew the governor of the feast called the bridegroom.
10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou has kept thou hast kept the good wine until now.

-John 2:1-10

Last edited:
It is written:

11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him. 12 After this he went down to Ca-per'-na-um , he, and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples: and they continued there not many days.

- John 2: 11- 12

Anti-Semitism is rampant in John. No other "NEW" testament writing has as great an anti-Judaic thrust as found in John. Its attack against the individual Jew, “the Jews” and the Jewish observance of the Hebrew bible all reflect the early church’s extreme anti-Semitic stance.

The Gospel of John and Anti-Jewish Polemic

Over twelve years ago Samuel Sandmel correctly observed, “John is widely regarded as either the most anti-Semitic or at least the most overtly anti-Semitic of the gospels.” Little has been done to ameliorate that harsh judgment since it was first written. While efforts have been made to soften the tone of the Gospel of John when it comes to Jews and Judaism, a reading of the Gospel tends to confirm Sandmel’s judgment."

The Gospel of John and Anti-Jewish Polemic American Interfaith Institute

Not true at all, Guno. Jesus loves the Jews. So did John. You'll see once the entire book is up. You can read it yourself! How about that?

Continuing on to John 2:13

It is written:

13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And found in the the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, THE ZEAL OF THINE HOUSE HATH EATEN ME UP.
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things? 19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men.
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

- John 2:13-25

3 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nic-o-de'-mus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of heaven.
4 Nic-o-de'-mus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily,verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9 Nic-o-de'-mus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 If I had told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned; but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

-John 3:1-21

Intermission time - this Worship will usher you right into the presence of Jesus. After this another devotional entitled - The Spirit is like the Wind and it is based upon John 3: 4 - 9 and was written by Charles Spurgeon. Then we can resume the Gospel of John and complete the last part Chapter 3 tonight. ( God willing )

THE SPIRIT IS LIKE THE WIND - CHARLES SPURGEON

The Spirit of God, to help the spiritually minded in their study of his character and nature, condescends to compare with Himself to dew, fire, oil, water, and other suggestive types. Among the rest, our Savior uses the metaphor of wind. What was the first thought here but that of mystery? It was the objection to the point of mystery which our Lord was trying to remove from the mind of Nicodemus. Nicodemus in effect said, "I cannot understand it; how can it be?" A man born again when he is old, created over again, and that from an invisible agency from above? How can these things be? ( See John 3: 4, 9 )
Jesus at once directed his attention to the wind, which is nonetheless real and operative, because of its mysterious origin and operation.

You cannot tell where the wind comes from. You know it blows from the north or from the west, but at what particular place does that wind start on its career? The gale may be blowing due east here, but it may be driving west a hundred miles away.

My fellow Christians, the like mystery is observed in the work of the Spirit of God. His person and work are not to be comprehended by the mind of man. He may be present now but you cannot see him. He speaks to one heart, but others cannot hear his voice. He is in not recognizable by the unrefined senses of the unregenerate. The spiritual man discerns Him, feels Him, hears Him, and delights in Him, but neither wit nor learning can lead a man into the secret.

The believer is often bowed down with the weight of the Spirit's glory or lifted up upon the wings of his majesty but even he knows not how these feelings were wrought in him.

to be continued to part two - Charles Spurgeon The Spirit is Like the Wind - excerpt of sermon in Nelson's 2625 - authorized King James Version Bible page 4076 - devotional page - insert -

Last edited:

Forum List

Back