The Gospel According to John

Conclusion to Charles Spurgeon's The Spirit is Like the Wind

The fire of a holy life is at seaons gently fanned with the soft breath of divine comfort, or the deep sea of spiritual existence stirred with the mighty blast of the Spirit's rebuke. To some of us, He came like "a mighty rushing wind" ( Acts 2:2) To others He comes so gently that they cannot tell when first the Spirt of God came. If it is the wind of the Holy Spirit, recollect it as saving in its gentleness as in its terror, and it is as efficient to make us new creatures when it comes with the zephyrs breath as when it comes with the hurricane's force.

The wind not only differs in force, for it differs in direction. You know very well, dear friends, that sometimes the Spirit of God will blow with mighty force from one denomination of Christians, then all of a sudden.... another body of Christians God will raise up, fill with Himself, and qualify for usefulness. Sometimes He uses one man, sometimes another. We hear of revival in the North of Ireland, by and by it is in the South of Scotland. God causes that wind to blow just which way He wills.

- Charles Spurgeon page 4076 - devotional page - insert - Nelsons 2625 - authorized KJV Bible. Sermons available online for Charles Spurgeon can be found on this link :
Spurgeon s Sermons

I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, "You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself." My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of the will.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Last edited:
22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judae'-a; and there he tarried with them and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Ae'-non near to Sa'-lim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
24 For John was not yet cast into prison.
25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.
26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.
27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

- John 3: 22 - 27

Beginning in John 3:28 - this is the New International version King James bible which is more modern English version for the reader -

28 You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.' 29 The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30 He must become greater. I must become less.
31 The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. 35 The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

- John 3: 28-36

The Pharisees heard that Jesus was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John, 2 although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples. 3 When the Lord learned of this, he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee.
4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from his journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour.
7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" 8 His disciples had gone into town to buy food.
9 The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)
10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
11 "Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"
13 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up in eternal life."
15 The woman said to him, "Sir, give me the water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water."
16 He told her, "Go, call your husband and come back."
17 "I have no husband," she replied.
Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is true."
19 "Sir," the woman said, I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem."
21 Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is of the Jews.
23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
25 The woman said, "I know that Messiah (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."
26 Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he."

- John 4: 1 - 26

There is a sermon by Andrew Murray which is based on John 4: 13,14 and although I'm not putting up the entire sermon - I want to make clear it is from a devotional insert added to my Nelson bible and not copy and pasted from a link. Nevertheless, if you desire to read more sermons by Andrew Murray you may find some excellent ones here on this link.
Andrew Murray Text Sermons - Sermon Index

This is a small excerpt from my devotional in my bible and I am not typing out the entire message although you may possibly be able to find it on the link above.

With that, here is what Andrew Murray said -

The rivers of living water can be compared with many fountains on earth. When we begin to open to them, the stream is weak. The more the water is used, and the more deeply the source is opened up, the stronger the water flows. In the realm of spiritual life, let us discover what is necessary to secure the fulness of the Spirit constantly flowing in us.
You know what the Scripture says, "All the promises of God are Yea, and in him, Amen, to the Glory of God by us" (2 Corinthians 1:20 ) When the Lord spoke of rivers of living water, He connected the promise with faith in Himself: "He that believeth in me, out of his heart shall flow rivers." If we only understood that word "believeth" rightly, we would require no other answer than this to the question as to how the blessing may be increased.
Faith is primarily a seeing by the Spirit that Jesus is nothing but a flowing fountain of the divine love. The Spirit Himself always flows from Him as the bearer of life that this love brings and that always streams forth in love. Then it is an embracing of the promise, an appropriation of the blessing as it is provided in Christ, a resting in the certainty of it, and a thanking God for what He is yet to do.
Thereafter, faith is keeping the soul open so that Christ can come in with the blessing, take possession, and fill all. Faith becomes the most fervent and unbroken communion between the soul in which Christ obtains His place and is enthroned in the heart.
Learn the lesson that, if you believe, you will see the glory of God. Let every doubt, every weakness, every temptation find you trusting, rejoicing, and reckoning on Jesus always to work all in you.
- Andrew Murray - from Believing for Increase -
based on John 4:13,14

It is written:
But what saith it? THE WORD IS NIGH THEE, EVEN IN THY MOUTH, AND IN THY HEART: that is, the word of faith, which we preach. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH ON HIM SHALL NOT BE ASHAMED. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED. - Romans 10: 8 - 13

Call upon the name of the LORD today and be saved. Today is the day of Salvation.

Listen to this worship music and turn your heart towards the LORD now - invite Him to come into your heart and experience His presence today. The Lord inhabits the praises of His people. Listen to this, Beloved.

Last edited:
What a lovely thread Jere. It doesn't get much better than Charles Spurgeon.

You know Jews always took the long route to get around the Samaritans they disliked them so much, but Christ went right to that woman. And her heart received Him.
When we accept Christ we become new creatures. We are born again. When we are baptized, going into the water as a dead man, we emerge as a new man in the Lord.
Christ had to explain that to Nicodemus. The woman at the well became that without instruction, and went on to spread the good news about that Nazarene.
What a difference an open heart makes.
And bless your sweet heart for this message today. It's uplifting. :)

I love how you describe the encounter the woman had with Jesus at the well, Irish Ram. It could not have been said better. You are so right. Her heart was opened to receive him. Her heart surely leaped within her when she heard him say to her, I who speak to you am he. What a moment!

Oh! To experience Christ in a personal one on one encounter such as that! There is no greater experience in all the world. Nothing can compare to His presence or the salvation He has given us. He is truly worthy of all praise. We are blessed, Sister. We are blessed by Jesus!

I believe with all my heart I experienced the presence of God once while lying in bed a few years ago. I cannot describe the utter peace and joy and contentment and chills. It was intense. Never felt that since. It is very very hard to describe but put it this way. Imagine the best you have ever felt spiritually and physically- now times that by 1,000. I think it lasted about 2-3 minutes. I just wanted to bask in His glory and never wanted it to end. I think He was giving me a preview...

Using KJV Nelson bible today beginning with John 4:27.......

27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou to her?
28 The woman then left her water-pot, and went her way into the city and saith to the men,
29 Come, see a man, which told me things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?
30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
31 In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.
32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?
34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh the harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour; other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

- John 4: 27-38

39 And many of the Sa-mar-i-tans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
40 So when the Sa-mar-i-tans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two more days.
41 And many more believed because of his own word;
42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for now we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.

-John 4: 39 - 42

43 Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee. 44 For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.
45 Then when he was come into Galilee, The Gal-i-lae'-ans received him, having seen all the things that he did at Jerusalem at the feast: for they also went unto the feast.
46 So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Ca-per'-na-um.
47 When he heard that Jesus was come out of Ju-dae'-a into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son: for he was at the point of death.
48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.
49 The nobleman saith unto him, Sir, come down ere my child die.
50 Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way. 51 And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth.
52 Then enquired he of them the hour when he began to amend. And they said unto him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.
53 So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house.
54 This is again the second miracle that Jesus did, when he was come out of Ju-dae'a into Galilee.

-John 4: 43-54

USMB hosting Bibles now? Neato. Because of course, everyone's first thought in looking up Scripture when their souls might be on the line isn't go to a Bible website for lookups, but a discussion website. :)

After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Be-thes'-da, having five porches.
3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?
7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.
8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

- John 5: 1-9

10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, it is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?
13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
15 The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole.
16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

John 5:10-21

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honor the Son, even as they honour the Father.
24 He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
25 Verily, verily I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself.
27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
30 I can of mine own self do nothing; as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me.

- John 5:22-30

31 If I bear witness of myself my witness is not true. 32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness that he witnesseth of me is true. 33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
36 But I have a greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he that sent, him ye believe not.

- John 5: 31 - 37

39 Search the scriptures, for in them ye thing ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
41 I receive not honour from men.
42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

- John 5:39-47

Forum List

Back