The Fed

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
There have been a myriad of threads about the Fed., however, I just want to discuss the facts.

The Fed is a private entity, not government owned.

The Fed was created by the richest families in America in the early 20th century.

The Fed was created to eliminate competition from smaller, regional banks.

The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%. The companies that borrow from the Fed are buying Treasury bills at an interest rate of 2.5%. The Fed is therefore, directly selling American tax payer debt to corporations around the world.

Discuss.

Have not read the book yet. Probably should mosey on down to the Barnes & Noble and see if it is on the shelf.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dba9OY0QatU]G Edward Griffin Creature From Jekyll Island Second Look at the Federal Reserve - YouTube[/ame]

There have been a myriad of threads about the Fed., however, I just want to discuss the facts.

The Fed was created by the richest families in America in the early 20th century.

The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%. The companies that borrow from the Fed are buying Treasury bills at an interest rate of 2.5%. The Fed is therefore, directly selling American tax payer debt to corporations around the world.

Discuss.

You're basically wrong on all those points.

Discuss.
THAT is the problem - there is nothing to discus when you make a truth statement, but state that democrats suck and I will bring up the fact how republicans suck also, or state that republicans have no morals, and I will be able to discus how democrats are no better... That is why I can not get anyone to view my videos, while someone like Louis Farrakhan who points the blame to the white people is popular.

Discuss.

The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%.

How much are they lending at that rate?

The companies that borrow from the Fed are buying Treasury bills at an interest rate of 2.5%.

Treasury Bills mature in less than a year. Current 1 year rates are about 0.23%.
Treasury Notes, 1-10 years. Current 10 year rates are 2.03%.
Treasury Bonds, 10-30 years. Current 30 year rates are about 2.87%.

The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%. The companies that borrow from the Fed are buying Treasury bills at an interest rate of 2.5%.

Yes. I have frequently mentioned this massive carry trade. This is an invisible type of bailout for the zombie banks which every saver is paying for. It's a form of robbery at every American's expense.

Discuss.

The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%.

Here is the 2013 Q3 Discount Window spreadsheet: http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/files/dw_data_2013_q3.xls

I count $2.6 billion just for that quarter.

More data here: FRB: Discount Window Lending

ETA: You can see in the spreadsheet quite a lot of money is lended out as low as 0.15%, but there are also loans at 0.75%.

Last edited:
The Fed is currently lending money to corporations at an interest rate of 0.75%. The companies that borrow from the Fed are buying Treasury bills at an interest rate of 2.5%.

Yes. I have frequently mentioned this massive carry trade. This is an invisible type of bailout for the zombie banks which every saver is paying for. It's a form of robbery at every American's expense.

Oh dear, someone sprouted a tin foiled hat.

The Fed was created to prevent the frequent panics. Panics which private individuals were no longer able to control due to the growing size of the economy.

Take a look sometime at the frequency and length of panics before and after the creation of the Fed. It's a dramatic difference.

Oh dear, someone sprouted a tin foiled hat.
Nope. Interest rates are deliberately being kept artificially low by the Fed. Low interest rates hurt savers. Simple fact.

Discuss.

Here is the 2013 Q3 Discount Window spreadsheet: http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/files/dw_data_2013_q3.xls

I count $2.6 billion just for that quarter.

More data here: FRB: Discount Window Lending

ETA: You can see in the spreadsheet quite a lot of money is lended out as low as 0.15%, but there are also loans at 0.75%.

I guess it's not a guaranteed money maker then.

I have frequently mentioned this massive carry trade.

Massive? LOL!
Primary credit loans are currently $10 million.

This is an invisible type of bailout for the zombie banks

Right. Buying $10 million in Treasuries is a massive bailout.

Massive? LOL!

Key word: Currently.

Massive? LOL!

Can't put on a carry trade if you're not currently borrowing money.

Massive? LOL!

True. But following the crash they were. Big time.

When you and I borrow money for a house, we have to fill out a foot high stack of papers. When the zombie banks borrowed $10 billion ( or more) from the Fed, they signed a two page form application with a blank for the amount and a blank for their signature, with no collateral.

What I worry most about the Fed these days is how they are going to soak up liquidity once the velocity of money begins to pick up. We are in a massive bond bubble, much bigger than the subprime bubble was.

Discuss.

Worst idea ever. Woodrow Wilson regretted his decision to go along with this. Our founding fathers wanted to prevent this, but the Woodrow administration supported legislation that was written by the big banks, for the big banks. It insured that we would always be indebted to them because we have to purchase our money from them. No way to ever pay them off the way they set it up.

We need to abolish the federal reserve, but haven't seen anyone on either side serious about doing so.

Wilson was liberal and handed over power to the wealthiest people in the country. He also made income tax permanent to ensure that the banks would keep getting paid.

Massive? LOL!

True. But following the crash they were. Big time.

When you and I borrow money for a house, we have to fill out a foot high stack of papers. When the zombie banks borrowed $10 billion ( or more) from the Fed, they signed a two page form application with a blank for the amount and a blank for their signature, with no collateral.

True. But following the crash they were. Big time

Yes. But not to buy Treasuries.

When the zombie banks borrowed $10 billion ( or more) from the Fed, they signed a two page form application with a blank for the amount and a blank for their signature, with no collateral.

You're wrong. Banks put up collateral for Discount Window loans.

The Federal Reserve Banks accept a broad range of assets as discount window collateral. Extensions of credit must be collateralized to the satisfaction of the local Reserve Bank.

Frequently Asked Questions

Forum List

Back