The Doctrine of the Redemption of the Dead

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
Millions of people have gone through this life's experience without ever hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ. How then do they have a chance at being saved into the kingdom of God without a knowledge of his gospel? I will show you the answer by scripture.

When Jesus was hanging on the cross, He told one of the men who was hanging next to him:

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Did Jesus go to his kingdom to be with the Father on that day or is paradise another place?

When Mary saw the risen Lord three days after his crucifixion, the Lord told Mary:

John 20:17

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

If Jesus had not yet ascended to his Father in Heaven, then he did not go to the kingdom of Heaven on the day he was crucified with the man who was crucified with him. Where did he go? Where is paradise? The scriptures tell us where Jesus went during the three days that his body was laying in the tomb.

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The above verse tells us that Jesus, after being put to death in the flesh, went and preach to the spirits in prison. Among these spirits were many who were disobedient in the days of Noah.

1 Peter 4:3-6
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

The above verse tells us that the gospel is preached to those who have passed away. In this way Jesus has provided a means for all mankind to hear his gospel and have a chance to accept or reject it before they are to stand before him and be judged.

The sixth prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had many questions when reading this doctrine found in 1 Peter. He received the following vision and revelation regarding this doctrine:

The Doctrine and Covenants

Section 138
A vision given to President Joseph F. Smith in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 3, 1918. In his opening address at the 89th Semiannual General Conference of the Church, on October 4, 1918, President Smith declared that he had received several divine communications during the previous months. One of these, concerning the Savior’s visit to the spirits of the dead while His body was in the tomb, President Smith had received the previous day. It was written immediately following the close of the conference. On October 31, 1918, it was submitted to the counselors in the First Presidency, the Council of the Twelve, and the Patriarch, and it was unanimously accepted by them.

1–10, President Joseph F. Smith ponders upon the writings of Peter and our Lord’s visit to the spirit world; 11–24, President Smith sees the righteous dead assembled in paradise and Christ’s ministry among them; 25–37, He sees how the preaching of the gospel was organized among the spirits; 38–52, He sees Adam, Eve, and many of the holy prophets in the spirit world who considered their spirit state before their resurrection as a bondage; 53–60, The righteous dead of this day continue their labors in the world of spirits.

1 On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures;

2 And reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world;

3 And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world;

4 That through his atonement, and by obedience to the principles of the gospel, mankind might be saved.

5 While I was thus engaged, my mind reverted to the writings of the apostle Peter, to the primitive saints scattered abroad throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and other parts of Asia, where the gospel had been preached after the crucifixion of the Lord.

6 I opened the Bible and read the third and fourth chapters of the first epistle of Peter, and as I read I was greatly impressed, more than I had ever been before, with the following passages:

7 “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

8 “By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

9 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” (1 Peter 3:18–20.)

10 “For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6.)

11 As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I saw the hosts of the dead, both small and great.

12 And there were gathered together in one place an innumerable company of the spirits of the just, who had been faithful in the testimony of Jesus while they lived in mortality;

13 And who had offered sacrifice in the similitude of the great sacrifice of the Son of God, and had suffered tribulation in their Redeemer’s name.

14 All these had departed the mortal life, firm in the hopeof a glorious resurrection, through the grace of God the Father and his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

15 I beheld that they were filled with joy and gladness, and were rejoicing together because the day of their deliverance was at hand.

16 They were assembled awaiting the advent of the Son of God into the spirit world, to declare their redemption from the bands of death.

17 Their sleeping dust was to be restored unto its perfect frame, bone to his bone, and the sinews and the flesh upon them, the spirit and the body to be united never again to be divided, that they might receive a fulness of joy.

18 While this vast multitude waited and conversed, rejoicing in the hour of their deliverance from the chains of death, the Son of God appeared, declaring liberty to the captives who had been faithful;

19 And there he preached to them the everlasting gospel, the doctrine of the resurrection and the redemption of mankind from the fall, and from individual sins on conditions of repentance.

20 But unto the wicked he did not go, and among the ungodly and the unrepentant who had defiled themselves while in the flesh, his voice was not raised;

21 Neither did the rebellious who rejected the testimonies and the warnings of the ancient prophets behold his presence, nor look upon his face.

22 Where these were, darkness reigned, but among the righteous there was peace;

23 And the saints rejoiced in their redemption, and bowed the knee and acknowledged the Son of God as their Redeemer and Deliverer from death and the chains of hell.

24 Their countenances shone, and the radiance from the presence of the Lord rested upon them, and they sang praises unto his holy name.

25 I marveled, for I understood that the Savior spent about three years in his ministry among the Jews and those of the house of Israel, endeavoring to teach them the everlasting gospel and call them unto repentance;

26 And yet, notwithstanding his mighty works, and miracles, and proclamation of the truth, in great power and authority, there were but few who hearkened to his voice, and rejoiced in his presence, and received salvation at his hands.

27 But his ministry among those who were dead was limited to the brief time intervening between the crucifixion and his resurrection;

28 And I wondered at the words of Peter—wherein he said that the Son of God preached unto the spirits in prison, who sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah—and how it was possible for him to preach to those spirits and perform the necessary labor among them in so short a time.

29 And as I wondered, my eyes were opened, and my understanding quickened, and I perceived that the Lord went not in person among the wicked and the disobedient who had rejected the truth, to teach them;

30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

31 And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repentof their sins and receive the gospel.

32 Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.

33 These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands,

34 And all other principles of the gospel that were necessary for them to know in order to qualify themselves that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

35 And so it was made known among the dead, both small and great, the unrighteous as well as the faithful, that redemption had been wrought through the sacrifice of the Son of God upon the cross.

36 Thus was it made known that our Redeemer spent his time during his sojourn in the world of spirits, instructing and preparing the faithful spirits of the prophets who had testified of him in the flesh;

37 That they might carry the message of redemption unto all the dead, unto whom he could not go personally, because of their rebellion and transgression, that they through the ministration of his servants might also hear his words.

38 Among the great and mighty ones who were assembled in this vast congregation of the righteous were Father Adam, the Ancient of Days and father of all,

39 And our glorious Mother Eve, with many of her faithful daughters who had lived through the ages and worshiped the true and living God.

40 Abel, the first martyr, was there, and his brother Seth, one of the mighty ones, who was in the express image of his father, Adam.

41 Noah, who gave warning of the flood; Shem, the great high priest; Abraham, the father of the faithful; Isaac, Jacob, and Moses, the great law-giver of Israel;

42 And Isaiah, who declared by prophecy that the Redeemer was anointed to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that were bound, were also there.

43 Moreover, Ezekiel, who was shown in vision the great valley of dry bones, which were to be clothed upon with flesh, to come forth again in the resurrection of the dead, living souls;

44 Daniel, who foresaw and foretold the establishment of the kingdom of God in the latter days, never again to be destroyed nor given to other people;

45 Elias, who was with Moses on the Mount of Transfiguration;

46 And Malachi, the prophet who testified of the coming of Elijah—of whom also Moroni spake to the Prophet Joseph Smith, declaring that he should come before the ushering in of the great and dreadful day of the Lord—were also there.

47 The Prophet Elijah was to plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to their fathers,

48 Foreshadowing the great work to be done in the temples of the Lord in the dispensation of the fulness of times, for the redemption of the dead, and the sealing of the children to their parents, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse and utterly wasted at his coming.

49 All these and many more, even the prophets who dwelt among the Nephites and testified of the coming of the Son of God, mingled in the vast assembly and waited for their deliverance,

50 For the dead had looked upon the long absence of their spirits from their bodies as a bondage.

51 These the Lord taught, and gave them power to come forth, after his resurrection from the dead, to enter into his Father’s kingdom, there to be crowned with immortalityand eternal life,

52 And continue thenceforth their labor as had been promised by the Lord, and be partakers of all blessings which were held in reserve for them that love him.

53 The Prophet Joseph Smith, and my father, Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and other choice spirits who were reserved to come forth in the fulness of times to take part in laying the foundations of the great latter-day work,

54 Including the building of the temples and the performance of ordinances therein for the redemption of the dead, were also in the spirit world.

55 I observed that they were also among the noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning to be rulers in the Church of God.

56 Even before they were born, they, with many others, received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men.

57 I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

60 Thus was the vision of the redemption of the dead revealed to me, and I bear record, and I know that this record is true, through the blessing of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, even so. Amen.

This revelation gives us hope that our loved ones will still receive the message of the gospel and have a chance to receive it and accept it. Jesus went among the righteous who were gathered in one place (paradise) and organized his missionary forces in the world of spirits. The work we do in the Temples of God are the ordinances necessary to be exalted into the kingdom of God. These ordinances are also performed for the dead. If they receive the gospel in the world of spirits, the ordinances that we perform for the dead in the temples are binding. If the dead receive not the gospel upon hearing it, then the ordinances performed will be of no effect. One such ordinance performed in the temples is baptism for the dead. The Apostle Paul once used this doctrine to bolster his argument for the resurrection of the dead:

1 Corinthians 15:29
29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

The work we do in temples along with the work done by the righteous spirits who preach to those in spirit prison will save those who receive the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The great work of the redemption of the dead is a fulfillment of the prophesy of Malachi:

Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Those who preach the gospel in the world of spirits are fulfilling the turning the hearts of the Fathers (those forefathers who are dead) to the children (those decendants of the forefathers).
Those who do the work for the dead in the temples and do genealogy research are fulfilling the turning the hearts of the children (decendants) to their fathers (forefathers).

It was Elijah the prophet who restored the keys of this priesthood to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith:

Doctrine and Covenants 110:13-16
13 After this vision had closed, another great and glorious vision burst upon us; for Elijah the prophet, who was taken to heaven without tasting death, stood before us, and said:
14 Behold, the time has fully come, which was spoken of by the mouth of Malachi—testifying that he [Elijah] should be sent, before the great and dreadful day of the Lord come—
15 To turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the children to the fathers, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse—
16 Therefore, the keys of this dispensation are committed into your hands; and by this ye may know that the great and dreadful day of the Lord is near, even at the doors.

Millions of people have gone through this life's experience without ever hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ. How then do they have a chance at being saved into the kingdom of God without a knowledge of his gospel? I will show you the answer by scripture.

When Jesus was hanging on the cross, He told one of the men who was hanging next to him:

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Did Jesus go to his kingdom to be with the Father on that day or is paradise another place?

When Mary saw the risen Lord three days after his crucifixion, the Lord told Mary:

John 20:17

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

If Jesus had not yet ascended to his Father in Heaven, then he did not go to the kingdom of Heaven on the day he was crucified with the man who was crucified with him. Where did he go? Where is paradise? The scriptures tell us where Jesus went during the three days that his body was laying in the tomb.

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The above verse tells us that Jesus, after being put to death in the flesh, went and preach to the spirits in prison. Among these spirits were many who were disobedient in the days of Noah.

1 Peter 4:3-6
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

The above verse tells us that the gospel is preached to those who have passed away. In this way Jesus has provided a means for all mankind to hear his gospel and have a chance to accept or reject it before they are to stand before him and be judged.

The sixth prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had many questions when reading this doctrine found in 1 Peter. He received the following vision and revelation regarding this doctrine:

The Doctrine and Covenants

Section 138
A vision given to President Joseph F. Smith in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 3, 1918. In his opening address at the 89th Semiannual General Conference of the Church, on October 4, 1918, President Smith declared that he had received several divine communications during the previous months. One of these, concerning the Savior’s visit to the spirits of the dead while His body was in the tomb, President Smith had received the previous day. It was written immediately following the close of the conference. On October 31, 1918, it was submitted to the counselors in the First Presidency, the Council of the Twelve, and the Patriarch, and it was unanimously accepted by them.

1–10, President Joseph F. Smith ponders upon the writings of Peter and our Lord’s visit to the spirit world; 11–24, President Smith sees the righteous dead assembled in paradise and Christ’s ministry among them; 25–37, He sees how the preaching of the gospel was organized among the spirits; 38–52, He sees Adam, Eve, and many of the holy prophets in the spirit world who considered their spirit state before their resurrection as a bondage; 53–60, The righteous dead of this day continue their labors in the world of spirits.

1 On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures;

2 And reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world;

3 And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world;

4 That through his atonement, and by obedience to the principles of the gospel, mankind might be saved.

5 While I was thus engaged, my mind reverted to the writings of the apostle Peter, to the primitive saints scattered abroad throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and other parts of Asia, where the gospel had been preached after the crucifixion of the Lord.

6 I opened the Bible and read the third and fourth chapters of the first epistle of Peter, and as I read I was greatly impressed, more than I had ever been before, with the following passages:

7 “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

8 “By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

9 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” (1 Peter 3:18–20.)

10 “For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6.)

11 As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I saw the hosts of the dead, both small and great.

12 And there were gathered together in one place an innumerable company of the spirits of the just, who had been faithful in the testimony of Jesus while they lived in mortality;

13 And who had offered sacrifice in the similitude of the great sacrifice of the Son of God, and had suffered tribulation in their Redeemer’s name.

14 All these had departed the mortal life, firm in the hopeof a glorious resurrection, through the grace of God the Father and his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

15 I beheld that they were filled with joy and gladness, and were rejoicing together because the day of their deliverance was at hand.

16 They were assembled awaiting the advent of the Son of God into the spirit world, to declare their redemption from the bands of death.

17 Their sleeping dust was to be restored unto its perfect frame, bone to his bone, and the sinews and the flesh upon them, the spirit and the body to be united never again to be divided, that they might receive a fulness of joy.

18 While this vast multitude waited and conversed, rejoicing in the hour of their deliverance from the chains of death, the Son of God appeared, declaring liberty to the captives who had been faithful;

19 And there he preached to them the everlasting gospel, the doctrine of the resurrection and the redemption of mankind from the fall, and from individual sins on conditions of repentance.

20 But unto the wicked he did not go, and among the ungodly and the unrepentant who had defiled themselves while in the flesh, his voice was not raised;

21 Neither did the rebellious who rejected the testimonies and the warnings of the ancient prophets behold his presence, nor look upon his face.

22 Where these were, darkness reigned, but among the righteous there was peace;

23 And the saints rejoiced in their redemption, and bowed the knee and acknowledged the Son of God as their Redeemer and Deliverer from death and the chains of hell.

24 Their countenances shone, and the radiance from the presence of the Lord rested upon them, and they sang praises unto his holy name.

25 I marveled, for I understood that the Savior spent about three years in his ministry among the Jews and those of the house of Israel, endeavoring to teach them the everlasting gospel and call them unto repentance;

26 And yet, notwithstanding his mighty works, and miracles, and proclamation of the truth, in great power and authority, there were but few who hearkened to his voice, and rejoiced in his presence, and received salvation at his hands.

27 But his ministry among those who were dead was limited to the brief time intervening between the crucifixion and his resurrection;

28 And I wondered at the words of Peter—wherein he said that the Son of God preached unto the spirits in prison, who sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah—and how it was possible for him to preach to those spirits and perform the necessary labor among them in so short a time.

29 And as I wondered, my eyes were opened, and my understanding quickened, and I perceived that the Lord went not in person among the wicked and the disobedient who had rejected the truth, to teach them;

30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

31 And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repentof their sins and receive the gospel.

32 Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.

33 These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands,

34 And all other principles of the gospel that were necessary for them to know in order to qualify themselves that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

35 And so it was made known among the dead, both small and great, the unrighteous as well as the faithful, that redemption had been wrought through the sacrifice of the Son of God upon the cross.

36 Thus was it made known that our Redeemer spent his time during his sojourn in the world of spirits, instructing and preparing the faithful spirits of the prophets who had testified of him in the flesh;

37 That they might carry the message of redemption unto all the dead, unto whom he could not go personally, because of their rebellion and transgression, that they through the ministration of his servants might also hear his words.

38 Among the great and mighty ones who were assembled in this vast congregation of the righteous were Father Adam, the Ancient of Days and father of all,

39 And our glorious Mother Eve, with many of her faithful daughters who had lived through the ages and worshiped the true and living God.

40 Abel, the first martyr, was there, and his brother Seth, one of the mighty ones, who was in the express image of his father, Adam.

41 Noah, who gave warning of the flood; Shem, the great high priest; Abraham, the father of the faithful; Isaac, Jacob, and Moses, the great law-giver of Israel;

42 And Isaiah, who declared by prophecy that the Redeemer was anointed to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that were bound, were also there.

43 Moreover, Ezekiel, who was shown in vision the great valley of dry bones, which were to be clothed upon with flesh, to come forth again in the resurrection of the dead, living souls;

44 Daniel, who foresaw and foretold the establishment of the kingdom of God in the latter days, never again to be destroyed nor given to other people;

45 Elias, who was with Moses on the Mount of Transfiguration;

46 And Malachi, the prophet who testified of the coming of Elijah—of whom also Moroni spake to the Prophet Joseph Smith, declaring that he should come before the ushering in of the great and dreadful day of the Lord—were also there.

47 The Prophet Elijah was to plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to their fathers,

48 Foreshadowing the great work to be done in the temples of the Lord in the dispensation of the fulness of times, for the redemption of the dead, and the sealing of the children to their parents, lest the whole earth be smitten with a curse and utterly wasted at his coming.

49 All these and many more, even the prophets who dwelt among the Nephites and testified of the coming of the Son of God, mingled in the vast assembly and waited for their deliverance,

50 For the dead had looked upon the long absence of their spirits from their bodies as a bondage.

51 These the Lord taught, and gave them power to come forth, after his resurrection from the dead, to enter into his Father’s kingdom, there to be crowned with immortalityand eternal life,

52 And continue thenceforth their labor as had been promised by the Lord, and be partakers of all blessings which were held in reserve for them that love him.

53 The Prophet Joseph Smith, and my father, Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and other choice spirits who were reserved to come forth in the fulness of times to take part in laying the foundations of the great latter-day work,

54 Including the building of the temples and the performance of ordinances therein for the redemption of the dead, were also in the spirit world.

55 I observed that they were also among the noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning to be rulers in the Church of God.

56 Even before they were born, they, with many others, received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men.

57 I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

60 Thus was the vision of the redemption of the dead revealed to me, and I bear record, and I know that this record is true, through the blessing of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, even so. Amen.

This revelation gives us hope that our loved ones will still receive the message of the gospel and have a chance to receive it and accept it. Jesus went among the righteous who were gathered in one place (paradise) and organized his missionary forces in the world of spirits. The work we do in the Temples of God are the ordinances necessary to be exalted into the kingdom of God. These ordinances are also performed for the dead. If they receive the gospel in the world of spirits, the ordinances that we perform for the dead in the temples are binding. If the dead receive not the gospel upon hearing it, then the ordinances performed will be of no effect. One such ordinance performed in the temples is baptism for the dead. The Apostle Paul once used this doctrine to bolster his argument for the resurrection of the dead:

29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

The work we do in temples along with the work done by the righteous spirits who preach to those in spirit prison will save those who receive the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It is appointed unto a man once to die. Then the Judgement.

What you refer to about Jesus preaching to the dead was a singular event. Now that we have the Gospel of Christ, there are no second chances. If you die without Christ, you are going to Hell.

You are correct that Jesus' preaching to the dead was a singular event. It occurred between the time he was crucified and the time he was resurrected. What he did during that time was to organize a missionary force among the righteous dead to continue to preach to those who had not yet received and accepted the gospel. That missionary force is still at work today giving all that die the same equal chance as those who died prior to Christ's visitation to the world of spirits. It would not be fair that those who were dead during Christ's visitation receive such a privilege and those dying after who never had a chance to receive it, to not be given the chance and privilege. This means that every Muslim and every Buddhist and every Atheist and Agnostic and everyone who did not have ample opportunity to hear the good word will have the chance to accept the gospel whether or not they lived prior to Christ's visitation to the world of spirits or whether they lived afterwards.

You are correct that Jesus' preaching to the dead was a singular event. It occurred between the time he was crucified and the time he was resurrected. What he did during that time was to organize a missionary force among the righteous dead to continue to preach to those who had not yet received and accepted the gospel. That missionary force is still at work today giving all that die the same equal chance as those who died prior to Christ's visitation to the world of spirits. It would not be fair that those who were dead during Christ's visitation receive such a privilege and those dying after who never had a chance to receive it, to not be given the chance and privilege. This means that every Muslim and every Buddhist and every Atheist and Agnostic and everyone who did not have ample opportunity to hear the good word will have the chance to accept the gospel whether or not they lived prior to Christ's visitation to the world of spirits or whether they lived afterwards.
You are mistaken. Everyone is born with an instinctive awareness of God, and His law is written in our hearts. We must accept Christ during our time on Earth.

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

I think you are mistaken. Jesus would have no need to preach to the spirits in prison if they could not better their situation prior to the resurrection as Peter taught in 1 Peter 3 and 4. Also why would Jesus need to send missionaries such as his Apostles into all the world to preach the gospel if it is written already on every persons heart? The truth is that the gospel needs to be preached! It needs to go unto the dead as well as unto the living.

1 Peter 4:6

Mark 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Faith in God comes by hearing the world of God.

Romans 10:15-17
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Paul, whom you have quoted was the great missionary unto the Gentiles and spoke this before speaking your quote:

Romans 1:15-17
15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

What would be the necessity to go out and preach if the gospel were already written upon the hearts of all mankind?

I think you are mistaken. Jesus would have no need to preach to the spirits in prison if they could not better their situation prior to the resurrection as Peter taught in 1 Peter 3 and 4. Also why would Jesus need to send missionaries such as his Apostles into all the world to preach the gospel if it is written already on every persons heart? The truth is that the gospel needs to be preached! It needs to go unto the dead as well as unto the living.

Mark 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Faith in God comes by hearing the world of God.

Romans 10:15-17
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Paul, whom you have quoted was the great missionary unto the Gentiles and spoke this before speaking your quote:

Romans 1:15-17
15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

What would be the necessity to go out and preach if the gospel were already written upon the hearts of all mankind?
I didn't say the Gospel was written in our hearts. I said Gods law was. So if someone acknowledges what they already know, that there is a God, and they obey His law, it is counted as righteousness.

Although I do believe you are correct that we are all born with a portion of the light of Christ within us, still Jesus would have had no reason to preach unto the spirits in prison who were disobedient in the days of Noah if they were only to be judged according to that light of Christ they had received while on this earth. The main message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that we can repent and receive a forgiveness of sin. Without that, what hope would they have in hearing his preaching?

You are correct that Jesus' preaching to the dead was a singular event. It occurred between the time he was crucified and the time he was resurrected.
You two are funny.

Dead people are everywhere, walking around like regular people. They can't see each other; they see only what they want to see.

They don't know that they are dead.

Every time Jesus opened his mouth to correct those who were following the law in the wrong way he was preaching to the dead.

Some of the dead heard his voice and came out of their graves to rise to life.

Some of the dead heard nothing and did nothing, remained in their grave and stayed dead until their bodies died - then the judgment.

Those who are judged worthy of the resurrection in this life are not subject to judgement when their body dies. They have already passed from death to life.

.. I supposed it had something to do with whether they still had ears to hear or if their ears had already rotted off.

Not to worry! I heard that at the resurrection, the dead in Christ will be the first to rise......Then hell will give up the dead in its keeping. Then both death itself and hell will be thrown into the lake of fire.....At least according to the story.

About the redemption of the dead..

Unless you accept the teaching of Christ about the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects of the law, eat his flesh, and conform to the law in light of this revelation from above, drink his blood, you cannot have the life promised for obedience to the law in you.

Life is in the blood, in the doing.

You want to rise from the dead?

Do it.

Last edited:
Although I do believe you are correct that we are all born with a portion of the light of Christ within us, still Jesus would have had no reason to preach unto the spirits in prison who were disobedient in the days of Noah if they were only to be judged according to that light of Christ they had received while on this earth. The main message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that we can repent and receive a forgiveness of sin. Without that, what hope would they have in hearing his preaching?
And yet, Scripture says that they are without excuse. Creation tells them there is a Creator, and Gods law is in their hearts. What this all boils down to is that God judges the heart. Someone who has never heard the Gospel of Christ can still go to Heaven if they acknowledge that there is a Creator and obey His law. At least that's the way I understand it.

No where is it recorded that Christ went among the living (the literal living) during his 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb. He went and preached among the dead (literal dead) who were spirits in prison and were sometimes disobedient in the days of Noah.

In these verses when Peter speaks of the dead, he is referring to those who have pasted away from this mortal life and live in the world of spirits. Those in the world of spirits await the resurrection. Once they become resurrected they will stand before God to be judged according to their works. Their are two great resurrections wherein all mankind will rise from the dead. The first resurrection is the resurrection of the just. All those who were good people of the earth will rise in the first resurrection. This resurrection is divided into two parts called the morning and the evening of the first resurrection. Those who resurrect in the morning of the first resurrection will find a place in the kingdom of heaven and those who resurrect in the evening of the first resurrection will go to the next highest kingdom. The first resurrection has been going on since the day Christ rose from the dead but primarily will happen at his second coming.

Revelation 20:4-6
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

The second resurrection will occur after the 1000 year millennial reign of Christ on the earth. Those who take part in the second resurrection are the wicked men and women of the earth. They will inherit yet a lower kingdom.

Revelation 20:12-14
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Yes, all mankind will be resurrected and receive immortality. But Eternal Life which is a life like unto God's life in the kingdom of heaven will only be received by those who repent of their sins and do receive Jesus as their Savior and do good works.

John 5:28-29
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

1 Corinthians 15:12-22
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept.
21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

These things are not figurative. Christ himself did rise from the dead and because of that, all men will rise from the dead in like manner.

Matthew 27:52-53
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Luke 24:2-9
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
8 And they remembered his words,
9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

Luke 24:36-43
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye seeme have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

1 Corinthians 15:54-55
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

No where is it recorded that Christ went among the living (the literal living) during his 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb. He went and preached among the dead (literal dead) who were spirits in prison and were sometimes disobedient in the days of Noah.

In these verses when Peter speaks of the dead, he is referring to those who have pasted away from this mortal life and live in the world of spirits. Those in the world of spirits await the resurrection. Once they become resurrected they will stand before God to be judged according to their works. Their are two great resurrections wherein all mankind will rise from the dead. The first resurrection is the resurrection of the just. All those who were good people of the earth will rise in the first resurrection. This resurrection is divided into two parts called the morning and the evening of the first resurrection. Those who resurrect in the morning of the first resurrection will find a place in the kingdom of heaven and those who resurrect in the evening of the first resurrection will go to the next highest kingdom. The first resurrection has been going on since the day Christ rose from the dead but primarily will happen at his second coming.

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

The second resurrection will occur after the 1000 year millennial reign of Christ on the earth. Those who take part in the second resurrection are the wicked men and women of the earth. They will inherit yet a lower kingdom.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Yes, all mankind will be resurrected and receive immortality. But Eternal Life which is a life like unto God's life in the kingdom of heaven will only be received by those who repent of their sins and do receive Jesus as their Savior and do good works.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept.

These things are not figurative. Christ himself did rise from the dead and because of that, all men will rise from the dead in like manner.

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye seeme have.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
Peter was talking about those who are spiritually dead. You really look like a fool when you take verses out of context. You're ignorance is appalling.

Peter was talking about those who are spiritually dead. You really look like a fool when you take verses out of context. You're ignorance is appalling.

Peter specifically said Christ preached to those who were killed in the flood. While I certainly agree they were spiritually dead, the flood made them physically dead as well.

The redemption of the dead allows those who by chance had no opportunity to hear about Christ while alive to yet come to Him. It allows them to receive essential ordinances and covenants such as baptism, they otherwise could not obtain.

Peter specifically said Christ preached to those who were killed in the flood. While I certainly agree they were spiritually dead, the flood made them physically dead as well.

The redemption of the dead allows those who by chance had no opportunity to hear about Christ while alive to yet come to Him. It allows them to receive essential ordinances and covenants such as baptism, they otherwise could not obtain.
What good would that do? You can't baptize a corpse.

The dead are baptized by proxy. A living person can be baptized in behalf of one who is dead. This was being done in the days of Jesus' original apostles as spoken of by Paul in defense of the doctrine of resurrection:

The dead are baptized by proxy. A living person can be baptized in behalf of one who is dead. This was being done in the days of Jesus' original apostles as spoken of by Paul in defense of the doctrine of resurrection:

(29) Else.--We can well imagine the Apostle pausing, as it were, to take breath after the splendid outburst of mingled rhetoric and logic which we find in 1Corinthians 15:23-28; or perhaps even postponing until some other day the further dictation of his Epistle, when he could calmly resume his purely logical argument in favour of the doctrine of the Resurrection. Then there will not appear such a startling or inexplicable abruptness in the words with which this new argument is commenced. "Else"--i.e., if there be no resurrection--what shall they who are baptised for the dead do? If the dead be not raised at all, why are they then baptised for the dead? Such is the proper punctuation, and not as in the English version, which joins the clause, "if the dead rise not," with the preceding instead of with the following portion of the verse. Also the word translated "rise," is "are raised." This is an argumentum ad hominem. The practice known as baptism for the dead was absurd if there be no resurrection. To practise it and to deny the doctrine of the resurrection was illogical. What shall they do? i.e., What explanation shall they give of their conduct? asks the Apostle. There have been numerous and ingenious conjectures as to the meaning of this passage. The only tenable interpretation is that there existed amongst some of the Christians at Corinth a practice of baptising a living person in the stead of some convert who had died before that sacrament had been administered to him. Such a practice existed amongst the Marcionites in the second century, and still earlier amongst a sect called the Corinthians. The idea evidently was that whatever benefit flowed from baptism might be thus vicariously secured for the deceased Christian. St. Chrysostom gives the following description of it:--"After a catechumen (i.e., one prepared for baptism, but not actually baptised) was dead, they hid a living man under the bed of the deceased; then coming to the bed of the dead man they spake to him, and asked whether he would receive baptism, and he making no answer, the other replied in his stead, and so they baptised the 'living for the dead.'" Does St. Paul then, by what he here says, sanction the superstitious practice? Certainly not. He carefully separates himself and the Corinthians, to whom he immediately addresses himself, from those who adopted this custom. He no longer uses the first or second person; it is "they" throughout this passage. It is no proof to others; it is simply the argumentum ad hominem. Those who do that, and disbelieve a resurrection, refute themselves. This custom possibly sprang up amongst the Jewish converts, who had been accustomed to something similar in their own faith. If a Jew died without having been purified from some ceremonial uncleanness, some living person had the necessary ablution performed on them, and the dead were so accounted clean.

Paul, who argues that Christ has risen from the dead and that the resurrection is unto all men, uses the argument of baptism for the dead to bolster his argument for the resurrection. Why would Paul ever bring up a doctrine, if he didn't believe it to be a true doctrine, to support his argument? He wouldn't. In 1 Corinthians 15:29 he brings up the practice of baptism for the dead to support his argument for the resurrection of the dead. Logic and early Christian writings support the proposition that baptism for the dead is a true doctrine. First and foremost it shows that Christ is fair and gives all mankind the opportunity to hear his gospel and receive it. Millions have died without a knowledge of the gospel and it wouldn't be fair that those who hear it in this life and receive it are favored over those who simply didn't get a chance to hear it. Jesus set up a system in the world of spirits whereby those who have past away without hearing the word of God will have a chance to hear it and accept it. Thus all mankind are treated fairly by our Lord and Savior. Since baptism is a saving ordinance taught and practiced by Jesus himself, would it not be essential that all mankind receive this ordinance? For this reason the doctrine of baptism for the dead was instituted even in the days of Jesus and his Apostles so that the dead would have the opportunity to be saved. For this reason Paul uses the doctrine in his argument for the resurrection. For an in-depth article of these things I point you to one entitled: Baptism For The Dead In Early Christianity .

Forum List

Back