The Doctrine of the Redemption of the Dead

Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you would acknowledge what I have said about works not saving you but only being a requirement before Jesus will save you. Good works are not the result of being saved but are the efforts of those who want Jesus to save them with his grace. They are the acts upon which God will judge us all to determine if we are to be saved or not. This is why it is important that we repent and do good works in order to have a hope in Christ to receive his mercy.

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repentance, or turning from evil to good works, is required before you can obtain the kingdom of heaven.

Acts 26:20
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judæa, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

The works of repentance are necessary.

Acts 8:22
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Notice how repentance is required before forgiveness. Repentance is nothing more than changing your ways of doing evil works to doing good works.

As stated in Ephesians 2:8 "We are saved by grace through faith". Faith must exist before we can receive the grace. And as James 2:17 states, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone". We must have faith unto good works before we can receive a forgiveness of sin.

Acts 26:18
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

We must be turned from darkness to light, in other words from doing evil to good, before receiving forgiveness of sin and being sanctified by faith which is coupled with good works.

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The above verse clearly shows us that we must first do the good works which is the will of God in order to receive the mercy that will allow us entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

Works are not what saves us but they are a requirement! Without the atonement of Christ, no amount of works will save us. The works simply do not do the saving. But as a requirement of the Lord they must be met before the saving grace of the Lord will be given unto us.

The scriptures bear out the truth of the necessity to do good works. Good works are essential for us to obtain the grace of Jesus Christ to enter into his kingdom. We will all be judged according to our works.
You have a serious problem with reading comprehension. The Bible specifically tells us that Salvation is a GIFT. Do you know what gift is? Look it up, if you don't. You can't earn it. Salvation happens the instant you repent and ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Nothing else is required. Otherwise, how did the thief on the Cross make it to Heaven? He didn't do any good works.

" This is the work that God requires : Believe in the one he has sent."

If the guy lived longer that belief in Jesus would have compelled him to adjust his entire mental framework and conform to a new way of life...

"No one is righteous who does not do what is right"
Righteousness does not come from works. In fact, no one is righteous. The only righteousness we have is through the blood of Christ.

Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you would acknowledge what I have said about works not saving you but only being a requirement before Jesus will save you. Good works are not the result of being saved but are the efforts of those who want Jesus to save them with his grace. They are the acts upon which God will judge us all to determine if we are to be saved or not. This is why it is important that we repent and do good works in order to have a hope in Christ to receive his mercy.

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repentance, or turning from evil to good works, is required before you can obtain the kingdom of heaven.

20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judæa, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Notice how repentance is required before forgiveness. Repentance is nothing more than changing your ways of doing evil works to doing good works.

As stated in Ephesians 2:8 "We are saved by grace through faith". Faith must exist before we can receive the grace. And as James 2:17 states, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone". We must have faith unto good works before we can receive a forgiveness of sin.

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

We must be turned from darkness to light, in other words from doing evil to good, before receiving forgiveness of sin and being sanctified by faith which is coupled with good works.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The above verse clearly shows us that we must first do the good works which is the will of God in order to receive the mercy that will allow us entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

Works are not what saves us but they are a requirement! Without the atonement of Christ, no amount of works will save us. The works simply do not do the saving. But as a requirement of the Lord they must be met before the saving grace of the Lord will be given unto us.

The scriptures bear out the truth of the necessity to do good works. Good works are essential for us to obtain the grace of Jesus Christ to enter into his kingdom. We will all be judged according to our works.
You have a serious problem with reading comprehension. The Bible specifically tells us that Salvation is a GIFT. Do you know what gift is? Look it up, if you don't. You can't earn it. Salvation happens the instant you repent and ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Nothing else is required. Otherwise, how did the thief on the Cross make it to Heaven? He didn't do any good works.

If the guy lived longer that belief in Jesus would have compelled him to adjust his entire mental framework and conform to a new way of life...

Righteousness does not come from works. In fact, no one is righteous. The only righteousness we have is through the blood of Christ.

Sin is disobedience to the law. To be righteous is to comply with the laws demands.

The flesh of Jesus is the revelation of the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects of the law. To drink his blood is to imitate his example of how to comply with the laws demands that leads to the fulfillment of the promise of life.

Life is in the blood, in the doing.

If you are not righteous, its probably because you don't think that you have to do anything and if you don't do what is right you cannot have the life giving blood of Jesus in you.

Sin is disobedience to the law. To be righteous is to comply with the laws demands.

The flesh of Jesus is the revelation of the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects of the law. To drink his blood is to imitate his example of how to comply with the laws demands that leads to the fulfillment of the promise of life.

If you are not righteous, its probably because you don't think that you have to do anything and if you don't do what is right you cannot have the life giving blood of Jesus in you.
Salvation is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. You go right ahead and try to earn your salvation. I already have mine. And I didn't have to do a thing to earn it.

Salvation is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. You go right ahead and try to earn your salvation. I already have mine. And I didn't have to do a thing to earn it.

The gift is the teaching.

If you don't do it its like never opening the gift.

Who is supposed to believe that you are saved when its apparent that you don't even know what Jesus taught is the only way to salvation?

The gift is the teaching.

If you don't do it its like never opening the gift.

Who is supposed to believe that you are saved when its apparent that you don't even know what Jesus taught is the only way to salvation?
I just posted a topic "Are you really a Christian?" You might want to check it out. It tells you what Jesus Himself says on the subject of Salvation.

How is it that you say that I believe that we earn our Salvation? Is it your belief that because Jesus requires us to do works of righteousness that somehow that translates into us saving ourselves? Is not faith a requirement? Did you not just post that repentance is a requirement? Are these not works of righteousness? How is having faith and repenting not a work of saving yourself according to your train of thought? The Lord requires us to do the works and not expect salvation from the works but to have hope for his saving grace:

Luke 17:7-10
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

In the following parable it is the doers of the works that are saved into the kingdom of heaven and they are only saved after he comes in his glory. They are judged according to their works:

Matthew 25:31-46
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Titus 2:14
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Can you not see that we must do the works of the unprofitable servant (the works don't profit us, ie they don't save us) so that we might have hope for a glorious resurrection through the grace of Jesus Christ?

1 Timothy 6:17-19
17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

Regarding the man on the cross. He did not go to heaven to be with Jesus but was with him in the world of spirits. Jesus said unto him:

Luke 23:43
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

But Jesus did not go to heaven on that day as he told Mary Magdalene on the Third Day the following:

John 20:17
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Jesus had not yet ascended to his Father in heaven by the 3rd day. He told the man on the cross that he would be with him that very day in paradise. So obviously paradise is not the same as heaven. Jesus went among the righteous dead who were in the world of spirits and organized his missionary forces to preach unto the spirits in prison. The man on the cross was with him as he went to the world of spirits where the righteous were (ie paradise).

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Those spirits that Christ preached to were disembodied spirits who once lived in the days of Noah and were disobedient. This is where Jesus' spirit was during the time his body lay in the tomb. It wasn't until after his resurrection that he ascended to his Father in Heaven.

how many works and what kind must you do to be/stay saved? Can you lose your salvation, then get it back? Is there anyone who lost their salvation in the NT? GOOD WORKS, DONE FOR GOD CAN SANCTIFY YOU BUT THEY CAN NEVER SAVE YOU. OBEDIENCE CANNOT SAVE YOU. Good works do not equal salvation. Jesus' free gift= salvation to those who believe in Christ alone. Not man made rituals, traditions, works, sacraments etc.

If you think you can get or stay saved doing good works- how many works are needed to get saved or stay saved? 1? 30? 500? 5000?

how many works and what kind must you do to be/stay saved? Can you lose your salvation, then get it back? Is there anyone who lost their salvation in the NT? GOOD WORKS, DONE FOR GOD CAN SANCTIFY YOU BUT THEY CAN NEVER SAVE YOU. OBEDIENCE CANNOT SAVE YOU. Good works do not equal salvation. Jesus' free gift= salvation to those who believe in Christ alone. Not man made rituals, traditions, works, sacraments etc.

If you think you can get or stay saved doing good works- how many works are needed to get saved or stay saved? 1? 30? 500? 5000?

Your philosophy is fine who believe that the Kingdom of God and salvation has nothing to do with this life but occurs only after death.

Some of us are too impatient to wait for death to enter the Kingdom of God and live the way of salvation. Jesus taught the way of discerning the will of God and being obedient to it. (God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven.) Failing to live salvation is indeed a loss of salvation, unless you believe people can go to heaven and do anything they please, even if it is against the will of God.

One of the biggest deceptions by the devil is for mankind to believe that all they need to do is to pay lip service and say that they believe in Jesus Christ and believe that they are saved to be saved. The bible is replete with the teachings that we will be judged according to our works and that we should repent and do good works to be saved. It is not however the works that actually save but Jesus will not save through his atoning sacrifice those who do not the works of righteousness into the kingdom of heaven.

Forum List

Back