The Doctrine of the Redemption of the Dead

Paul, who argues that Christ has risen from the dead and that the resurrection is unto all men, uses the argument of baptism for the dead to bolster his argument for the resurrection. Why would Paul ever bring up a doctrine, if he didn't believe it to be a true doctrine, to support his argument? He wouldn't. In 1 Corinthians 15:29 he brings up the practice of baptism for the dead to support his argument for the resurrection of the dead. Logic and early Christian writings support the proposition that baptism for the dead is a true doctrine. First and foremost it shows that Christ is fair and gives all mankind the opportunity to hear his gospel and receive it. Millions have died without a knowledge of the gospel and it wouldn't be fair that those who hear it in this life and receive it are favored over those who simply didn't get a chance to hear it. Jesus set up a system in the world of spirits whereby those who have past away without hearing the word of God will have a chance to hear it and accept it. Thus all mankind are treated fairly by our Lord and Savior. Since baptism is a saving ordinance taught and practiced by Jesus himself, would it not be essential that all mankind receive this ordinance? For this reason the doctrine of baptism for the dead was instituted even in the days of Jesus and his Apostles so that the dead would have the opportunity to be saved. For this reason Paul uses the doctrine in his argument for the resurrection. For an in-depth article of these things I point you to one entitled: Baptism For The Dead In Early Christianity .
It is obvious that you did not understand what I posted. Perhaps you should read it again. It answers all the questions you just asked. BTW. Baptism is not required for salvation. It is nothing more than an outward sign of an inward change. The Bible is clear on this.

Romans 10:10
for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Acts 16:31
They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

It doesn'r get any clearer than that.

Nothing in the verses you quote suggest that all you need to do is believe without doing anything else. A person who truly believes will keep the commandments and follow the teachings of Jesus. Thus the great sermon of James:

James 2:17-26
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

I love when the Mormons ramp up their preaching on the doctrine of the dead and redemption.

It's cute.

Peter taught the following regarding baptism:

Acts 2:36-38
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus himself being baptized to fulfill all righteousness by becoming the way, the truth, and the light by which we should follow also taught:

John 3:3-5
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Being born of the water is to be baptized by one having authority to baptize and being born of the spirit is to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands of one having authority to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are ordinances of the gospel that all of us need to receive to enter the kingdom of God.

Acts 8:17-22
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Nothing in the verses you quote suggest that all you need to do is believe without doing anything else. A person who truly believes will keep the commandments and follow the teachings of Jesus. Thus the great sermon of James:

James 2:17-26
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

do you keep the commandments?

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus himself being baptized to fulfill all righteousness by becoming the way, the truth, and the light by which we should follow also taught:

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Being born of the water is to be baptized by one having authority to baptize and being born of the spirit is to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands of one having authority to confer the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are ordinances of the gospel that all of us need to receive to enter the kingdom of God.

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
The Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.

RWNJ does not understand the principles of salvation, clearly. He must be a biblical literalist.

The Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.

Although it is true that works are not what saves us into the kingdom of heaven, They most certainly are required by God before he will save us with his grace. Lets add an extra verse to Ephesians 2:8-9 and make it Ephesians 2:8-10.

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This verse first establishes that we are saved by grace through faith. So a man must have faith before Jesus will grant his grace to save us. Now as we have already seen in the Book of James the Apostle, we cannot have a true faith without good works:

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth itprofit?

True faith requires good works. But it is not the works which save us. Through the grace of Jesus Christ we are saved. However Jesus will not save into the kingdom of heaven those who do not have faith unto good works. Faith unto good works is a requirement before Jesus will grant his mercy on us to save us into his kingdom. Ephesians 2:8 goes on to say that salvation is not of yourselves but it is a gift of God. Although good works are very much part of the gospel of Jesus Christ and required by him to be saved into his kingdom, they are not what saves us. Without the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, no man, no matter how many good works of faith he perform, could not enter into the kingdom of heaven. It is only through the grace of Jesus Christ that we are saved. For this reason, even though good works are required of us before we can receive God's grace, no amount of good works will be sufficient to save us without grace and thus we have nothing to boast of because our works do not do the saving. Read Ephesians 2:8-9 again in this light and see if this does not make sense. Verse 10, brings us back to works. We were created in Christ Jesus unto good works. This is what we were created to do. God ordained us to walk in good works before the foundation of this earth. And as James has so clearly taught, we cannot have the faith sufficient to receive the grace of God without good works.

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Last edited:

Although it is true that works are not what saves us into the kingdom of heaven, They most certainly are required by God before he will save us with his grace. Lets add an extra verse to Ephesians 2:8-9 and make it Ephesians 2:8-10.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This verse first establishes that we are saved by grace through faith. So a man must have faith before Jesus will grant his grace to save us. Now as we have already seen in the Book of James the Apostle, we cannot have a true faith without good works:

James 2:14-26
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth itprofit?

True faith requires good works. But it is not the works which save us. Through the grace of Jesus Christ we are saved. However Jesus will not save into the kingdom of heaven those who do not have faith unto good works. Faith unto good works is a requirement before Jesus will grant his mercy on us to save us into his kingdom. Ephesians 2:8 goes on to say that salvation is not of yourselves but it is a gift of God. Although good works are very much part of the gospel of Jesus Christ and required by him to be saved into his kingdom, they are not what saves us. Without the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, no man, no matter how many good works of faith he perform, could not enter into the kingdom of heaven. It is only through the grace of Jesus Christ that we are saved. For this reason, even though good works are required of us before we can receive God's grace, no amount of good works will be sufficient to save us without grace and thus we have nothing to boast of because our works do not do the saving. Read Ephesians 2:8-9 again in this light and see if this does not make sense. Verse 10, brings us back to works. We were created in Christ Jesus unto good works. This is what we were created to do. God ordained us to walk in good works before the foundation of this earth. And as James has so clearly taught, we cannot have the faith sufficient to receive the grace of God without good works.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
You have it completely backwards. Works are not required for salvation. The Bible says this explicitly. Works are nothing more than a sign that someones conversion is genuine. In other words, that verse is saying that if you don't have works, then you never really accepted Christ as Lord of your life. That is what it means by faith without works.

Romans 2:6-9
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Matthew 16:27
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Romans 2:6-9
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Matthew 16:27
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
You can quote all the Bible verses you want. They do not support your argument that works are required for Salvation. Your interpretation of them contradicts Scripture. For it is by faith that you are saved. Not of works, lest any man should boast. There is no wiggle room in this declarative statement. It does not need interpretation. It says exactly what it says You are not saved by works. Period. To believe otherwise negates the sacrifice that Christ made for us. It is His blood that makes atonement for sin, and allows us to stand blameless before God. End of discussion.

You are right that we are not saved by works but they are required to obtain the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 20:12
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Luke 23:41
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

2 Corinthians 5:10
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

John 5:29-30
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The obvious in scripture is that we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged according to our works. We will receive a glorious resurrection if we have had faith in God unto good works. If we have done evil works without repenting of our sins, we will receive a resurrection of damnation. If good works are not required of us, then how will the Lord judge us according to our works? The works of righteousness truly are the fruit of the faithful. But they will be used as the very crux of our judgment. And as the verses above so clearly state, we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Without good works, you cannot obtain a glorious resurrection.

Ephesians 2:10

When we do good works, we can receive the saving grace of Jesus Christ through the atonement that he has made. The works are not the active force by which we are saved, but are a requirement of the Lord before he will grant his saving grace upon us. We could do nothing but good works for the rest of our lives but it would be to no avail without the atoning sacrifice of our Lord and Savior. But the Lord requires them at our hand before he will grant his saving grace upon us. This is what the judgment is all about. If ye are judged to be righteous according to your works, you will receive the grace sufficient to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Good works are essential for receiving his saving grace but they are not what does the saving:

James 2:17

Last edited:
You are right that we are not saved by works but they are required to obtain the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 20:12
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Luke 23:41
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

2 Corinthians 5:10
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

John 5:29-30
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The obvious in scripture is that we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged according to our works. We will receive a glorious resurrection if we have had faith in God unto good works. If we have done evil works without repenting of our sins, we will receive a resurrection of damnation. If good works are not required of us, then how will the Lord judge us according to our works? The works of righteousness truly are the fruit of the faithful. But they will be used as the very crux of our judgment. And as the verses above so clearly state, we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Without good works, you cannot obtain a glorious resurrection.

Ephesians 2:10

When we do good works, we can receive the saving grace of Jesus Christ through the atonement that he has made. The works are not the active force by which we are saved, but are a requirement of the Lord before he will grant his saving grace upon us. We could do nothing but good works for the rest of our lives but it would be to no avail without the atoning sacrifice of our Lord and Savior. But the Lord requires them at our hand before he will grant his saving grace upon us. This is what the judgment is all about. If ye are judged to be righteous according to your works, you will receive the grace sufficient to enter into the kingdom of heaven. Good works are essential for receiving his saving grace but they are not what does the saving:

James 2:17
How many times do I have to repeat this? Works do not save you. They are the result of being saved. That's what it means by faith without works. Salvation is a gift. There is nothing we can do to earn it. Period.

Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you would acknowledge what I have said about works not saving you but only being a requirement before Jesus will save you. Good works are not the result of being saved but are the efforts of those who want Jesus to save them with his grace. They are the acts upon which God will judge us all to determine if we are to be saved or not. This is why it is important that we repent and do good works in order to have a hope in Christ to receive his mercy.

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repentance, or turning from evil to good works, is required before you can obtain the kingdom of heaven.

Acts 26:20
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judæa, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

The works of repentance are necessary.

Acts 8:22

Notice how repentance is required before forgiveness. Repentance is nothing more than changing your ways of doing evil works to doing good works.

As stated in Ephesians 2:8 "We are saved by grace through faith". Faith must exist before we can receive the grace. And as James 2:17 states, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone". We must have faith unto good works before we can receive a forgiveness of sin.

Acts 26:18
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

We must be turned from darkness to light, in other words from doing evil to good, before receiving forgiveness of sin and being sanctified by faith which is coupled with good works.

The above verse clearly shows us that we must first do the good works which is the will of God in order to receive the mercy that will allow us entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

Works are not what saves us but they are a requirement! Without the atonement of Christ, no amount of works will save us. The works simply do not do the saving. But as a requirement of the Lord they must be met before the saving grace of the Lord will be given unto us.

The scriptures bear out the truth of the necessity to do good works. Good works are essential for us to obtain the grace of Jesus Christ to enter into his kingdom. We will all be judged according to our works.

Maybe you wouldn't have to repeat yourself if you would acknowledge what I have said about works not saving you but only being a requirement before Jesus will save you. Good works are not the result of being saved but are the efforts of those who want Jesus to save them with his grace. They are the acts upon which God will judge us all to determine if we are to be saved or not. This is why it is important that we repent and do good works in order to have a hope in Christ to receive his mercy.

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repentance, or turning from evil to good works, is required before you can obtain the kingdom of heaven.

20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judæa, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Notice how repentance is required before forgiveness. Repentance is nothing more than changing your ways of doing evil works to doing good works.

As stated in Ephesians 2:8 "We are saved by grace through faith". Faith must exist before we can receive the grace. And as James 2:17 states, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone". We must have faith unto good works before we can receive a forgiveness of sin.

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

We must be turned from darkness to light, in other words from doing evil to good, before receiving forgiveness of sin and being sanctified by faith which is coupled with good works.

The above verse clearly shows us that we must first do the good works which is the will of God in order to receive the mercy that will allow us entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

Works are not what saves us but they are a requirement! Without the atonement of Christ, no amount of works will save us. The works simply do not do the saving. But as a requirement of the Lord they must be met before the saving grace of the Lord will be given unto us.

The scriptures bear out the truth of the necessity to do good works. Good works are essential for us to obtain the grace of Jesus Christ to enter into his kingdom. We will all be judged according to our works.
You have a serious problem with reading comprehension. The Bible specifically tells us that Salvation is a GIFT. Do you know what gift is? Look it up, if you don't. You can't earn it. Salvation happens the instant you repent and ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Nothing else is required. Otherwise, how did the thief on the Cross make it to Heaven? He didn't do any good works.

You have a serious problem with reading comprehension. The Bible specifically tells us that Salvation is a GIFT. Do you know what gift is? Look it up, if you don't. You can't earn it. Salvation happens the instant you repent and ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Nothing else is required. Otherwise, how did the thief on the Cross make it to Heaven? He didn't do any good works.

" This is the work that God requires : Believe in the one he has sent."

If the guy lived longer that belief in Jesus would have compelled him to adjust his entire mental framework and conform to a new way of life...

"No one is righteous who does not do what is right"

Forum List

Back