The death of the Libertarian Party

LOL - you're not opposed to it, you're just slamming it because ...?
In didn't slam it. I said it would make no difference, ceteris parabus.

As evidenced by the times it has been implemented.

I think it will be a useful tool, once the systemic problems are addressed.

In didn't slam it. I said it would make no difference, ceteris parabus.

As evidenced by the times it has been implemented.
Actually it's had a profound effect. But let me ask you, what "difference" are you expecting to see?
I think it will be a useful tool, once the systemic problems are addressed.
Which problems?

Actually it's had a profound effect.
Uh, no.

What "difference"? Are you fking for real?

What difference have you been ranting about for years? Viable candidates not in the two major parties.

And no, it has not had such an effect. Nor will it, ever, in the current system.

Uh, no.

What "difference"? Are you fking for real?

What difference have you been ranting about for years? Viable candidates not in the two major parties.
That's something I'd like to see. But it's not the goal of RCV.

The goal of RCV is to get rid of the spoiler effect and the divisive fear mongering that goes with it. That might give third party candidates a window, but it's not the point. The point is to eliminate this lame argument that partisans keep making about "wasting" your vote on your actual preference.
And no, it has not had such an effect. Nor will it, ever, in the current system.
There are many case studies. A good one is the Alaska rep election:

Palin would have likely won this election under normal plurality voting, and done so without the support of the majority of the voters. But Palin is a polarizing candidate, and when given the opportunity to rank their preferences, many of her own party preferred the Democrat candidate over her, so she lost. That's an "effect".

Last edited:
Indeed. It will take much more that that. But waking people up is the first step toward any meaningful reform. Of course we're also up against all the duopoly douchebags who want things to stay just the way they are. In the end, we might lose. But I'll be damned if I'll join the morons tearing the country apart.

Honestly, I don't think they will ever wake up.
Biden is the worst of the worst democrat they could imagine. For reason's listed 1000 times already.
Trumps on his 3rd nomination in a row, with an actual record (on important things) that's resembles Biden's record.

Every election season, the reasons to get a third party elected to something in DC gets bigger and bigger. But it never happens.

That might give third party candidates a window, but it's not the point.
Uh, oookay, I admit, I kind of thought that was the discussion.

because it was.

Palin? Wait, now the people who voted for the democrat instead of the republican AREN'T idiotic sheep who love lack of choice and think it was an absolute honor to vote for the lesser of two evils?

I'm trying to keep up. I gotta tell ya, you're giving me whiplash.

Palin? Wait, now the people who voted for the democrat instead of the republican AREN'T idiotic sheep who love lack of choice and think it was an absolute honor to vote for the lesser of two evils?
I can't make heads or tails out of this. Did you read the article?
I'm trying to keep up. I gotta tell ya, you're giving me whiplash.
I dunno man. Do some reading I guess. I haven't got time for your remedial learning.

Honestly, I don't think they will ever wake up.
Biden is the worst of the worst democrat they could imagine. For reason's listed 1000 times already.
Trumps on his 3rd nomination in a row, with an actual record (on important things) that's resembles Biden's record.

Every election season, the reasons to get a third party elected to something in DC gets bigger and bigger. But it never happens.
I'd be content with the majors changing their tune. But everyone is so consumed by the Lo2e con they can't see straight. Nothing will change if we don't change the way we vote.

I can't make heads or tails out of this. Did you read the article?
Indeed I did. As far as a third party candidate being viable... no difference.

As I have been saying.

Do we not agree on that? Because your article served more to support my point than the contrarian point.

Indeed I did. As far as a third party candidate being viable... no difference.
I told you, that isn't the point. It will, in fact, make third parties more viable because people no longer need be afraid that voting for their favorites will "help" a candidate they're scared of. But the biggest change is that it will undercut the partisan poo flinging and reward candidates who seek consensus.

And I'm betting that's why you oppose it.

Last edited:
1716752352927.png

I told you, that isn't the point.
Suddenly, it's not the point. because we have exited the discussion entirely, as it started.

Okay.

It will not make third parties more viable. At all. People will still vote for candidates they know and that they think can win. And third party candidates don't have the money machine to do anything but embarrass themselves and ensure that the two major parties give no fucks whatsoever about the issues they have on their platforms.

I'm a true leftist. Every 4 years I get to choose between a center right corporatist and a barely.competent far right puppet of rich people and evangelicals.

I wish a true labor party would arise. But if they tried it now, they would get 4% and the Democrats would be reaffirmed in their obvious belief that they don't have to give a shit about the labor left issues to win elections. In fact, the message they will get is that backing such issues will cost them votes.

Libertarianism really went down the shitter after Cathy Reisenwitz introduced 4th Wave Feminism into it.

Suddenly, it's not the point. because we have exited the discussion entirely, as it started.

Okay.

It will not make third parties more viable. At all.
No, it actually will open things up and they'll get more traction. They won't have to fight against your precious "lesser-of-two-evils" conceit. People won't have to be afraid to vote for their favorite candidate and we'll finally get honest numbers on what voters prefer.

But that will take time, and it's not the point of RCV. The point is to do away with the spoiler effect that props up the two parties. And it does that by it's very design..
People will still vote for candidates they know and that they think can win.
Nope. That kind of nonsense is nullified with RCV. You rank all the candidates and there's no need to worry about about whether they can win. It doesn't sound like really understand how it works.

Forum List

Back