The Dangerous Lie That ‘Bush Lied’

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
Yes, it is dangerous. But for dimocraps it's a convenient lie. A lie that Republicans are tired of fighting.

But it's time you realized that's what it is -- Just another lie from the party of lies --

From today's WSJ. I'd post a link, but you'll just run into a subscription wall

Some journalists still peddle this canard as if it were fact. This is defamatory and could end up hurting the country.
BN-GV979_EDPSil_J_20150208121945.jpg

President George W. Bush
By
LAURENCE H. SILBERMAN
Feb. 8, 2015 6:25 p.m. ET

In recent weeks, I have heard former Associated Press reporter Ron Fournier on Fox News twice asserting, quite offhandedly, that President George W. Bush “lied us into war in Iraq.”

I found this shocking. I took a leave of absence from the bench in 2004-05 to serve as co-chairman of the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction—a bipartisan body, sometimes referred to as the Robb-Silberman Commission. It was directed in 2004 to evaluate the intelligence community’s determination that Saddam Hussein possessed WMD—I am, therefore, keenly aware of both the intelligence provided to President Bush and his reliance on that intelligence as his primary casus belli. It is astonishing to see the “Bush lied” allegation evolve from antiwar slogan to journalistic fact.

The intelligence community’s 2002 National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) stated, in a formal presentation to President Bush and to Congress, its view that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction—a belief in which the NIE said it held a 90% level of confidence. That is about as certain as the intelligence community gets on any subject.

Recall that the head of the intelligence community, Central Intelligence Agency Director George Tenet, famously told the president that the proposition that Iraq possessed WMD was “a slam dunk.” Our WMD commission carefully examined the interrelationships between the Bush administration and the intelligence community and found no indication that anyone in the administration sought to pressure the intelligence community into its findings. As our commission reported, presidential daily briefs from the CIA dating back to the Clinton administration were, if anything, more alarmist about Iraq’s WMD than the 2002 National Intelligence Estimate.

Saddam had manifested sharp hostility toward America, including firing at U.S. planes patrolling the no-fly zone set up by the armistice agreement ending the first Iraq war. Saddam had also attempted to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush —a car-bombing plot was foiled—during Mr. Bush’s visit to Kuwait in 1993. But President George W. Bush based his decision to go to war on information about Saddam’s WMD. Accordingly, when Secretary of State Colin Powell formally presented the U.S. case to the United Nations, Mr. Powell relied entirely on that aspect of the threat from Iraq.

Our WMD commission ultimately determined that the intelligence community was “dead wrong” about Saddam’s weapons. But as I recall, no one in Washington political circles offered significant disagreement with the intelligence community before the invasion. The National Intelligence Estimate was persuasive—to the president, to Congress and to the media.

Granted, there were those who disagreed with waging war against Saddam even if he did possess WMD. Some in Congress joined Brent Scowcroft, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and former national security adviser, in publicly doubting the wisdom of invading Iraq. It is worth noting, however, that when Saddam was captured and interrogated, he told his interrogators that he had intended to seek revenge on Kuwait for its cooperation with the U.S. by invading again at a propitious time. This leads me to speculate that if the Bush administration had not gone to war in 2003 and Saddam had remained in power, the U.S. might have felt compelled to do so once Iraq again invaded Kuwait.

In any event, it is one thing to assert, then or now, that the Iraq war was ill-advised. It is quite another to make the horrendous charge that President Bush lied to or deceived the American people about the threat from Saddam.

I recently wrote to Ron Fournier protesting his accusation. His response, in an email, was to reiterate that “an objective reading of the events leads to only one conclusion: the administration . . . misinterpreted, distorted and in some cases lied about intelligence.” Although Mr. Fournier referred to “evidence” supporting his view, he did not cite any—and I do not believe there is any.

He did say correctly that “intelligence is never dispositive; it requires analysis and judgment, with the final call and responsibility resting with the president.” It is thus certainly possible to criticize President Bush for having believed what the CIA told him, although it seems to me that any president would have credited such confident assertions by the intelligence community. But to accuse the president of lying us into war must be seen as not only false, but as dangerously defamatory.

The charge is dangerous because it can take on the air of historical fact—with potentially dire consequences. I am reminded of a similarly baseless accusation that helped the Nazis come to power in Germany: that the German army had not really lost World War I, that the soldiers instead had been “stabbed in the back” by politicians.

Sometime in the future, perhaps long after most of us are gone, an American president may need to rely publicly on intelligence reports to support military action. It would be tragic if, at such a critical moment, the president’s credibility were undermined by memories of a false charge peddled by the likes of Ron Fournier.

Mr. Silberman, a senior federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, was co-chairman of the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Jesus fucking Christ, you're still trying to sell this "bad intelligence" bullshit? Move the fuck on with life already!

Jesus fucking Christ, you're still trying to sell this "bad intelligence" bullshit? Move the fuck on with life already!

A Senior FEDERAL JUDGE FROM THE DC COURT OF APPEALS says you are the one that's a lying sack of shit (as are ALL dimocraps)

He was also the co-chairman of the commission that looked into the WMD assertion.

Which, if you would bother to read the article rather than take Comedy Central and HuffBlo at their word, you'd see that they were forthright enough to say the Intelligence reports were a crock of shit.

And that's all Bush had to go on. That's it.

But you? You scumbags have -- What, exactly?

Nothing.

Yes, it is dangerous. But for dimocraps it's a convenient lie. A lie that Republicans are tired of fighting.

But it's time you realized that's what it is -- Just another lie from the party of lies --

From today's WSJ. I'd post a link, but you'll just run into a subscription wall

Some journalists still peddle this canard as if it were fact. This is defamatory and could end up hurting the country.
BN-GV979_EDPSil_J_20150208121945.jpg

President George W. Bush
By
LAURENCE H. SILBERMAN
Feb. 8, 2015 6:25 p.m. ET

In recent weeks, I have heard former Associated Press reporter Ron Fournier on Fox News twice asserting, quite offhandedly, that President George W. Bush “lied us into war in Iraq.”

I found this shocking. I took a leave of absence from the bench in 2004-05 to serve as co-chairman of the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction—a bipartisan body, sometimes referred to as the Robb-Silberman Commission. It was directed in 2004 to evaluate the intelligence community’s determination that Saddam Hussein possessed WMD—I am, therefore, keenly aware of both the intelligence provided to President Bush and his reliance on that intelligence as his primary casus belli. It is astonishing to see the “Bush lied” allegation evolve from antiwar slogan to journalistic fact.

The intelligence community’s 2002 National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) stated, in a formal presentation to President Bush and to Congress, its view that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction—a belief in which the NIE said it held a 90% level of confidence. That is about as certain as the intelligence community gets on any subject.

Recall that the head of the intelligence community, Central Intelligence Agency Director George Tenet, famously told the president that the proposition that Iraq possessed WMD was “a slam dunk.” Our WMD commission carefully examined the interrelationships between the Bush administration and the intelligence community and found no indication that anyone in the administration sought to pressure the intelligence community into its findings. As our commission reported, presidential daily briefs from the CIA dating back to the Clinton administration were, if anything, more alarmist about Iraq’s WMD than the 2002 National Intelligence Estimate.

Saddam had manifested sharp hostility toward America, including firing at U.S. planes patrolling the no-fly zone set up by the armistice agreement ending the first Iraq war. Saddam had also attempted to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush —a car-bombing plot was foiled—during Mr. Bush’s visit to Kuwait in 1993. But President George W. Bush based his decision to go to war on information about Saddam’s WMD. Accordingly, when Secretary of State Colin Powell formally presented the U.S. case to the United Nations, Mr. Powell relied entirely on that aspect of the threat from Iraq.

Our WMD commission ultimately determined that the intelligence community was “dead wrong” about Saddam’s weapons. But as I recall, no one in Washington political circles offered significant disagreement with the intelligence community before the invasion. The National Intelligence Estimate was persuasive—to the president, to Congress and to the media.

Granted, there were those who disagreed with waging war against Saddam even if he did possess WMD. Some in Congress joined Brent Scowcroft, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and former national security adviser, in publicly doubting the wisdom of invading Iraq. It is worth noting, however, that when Saddam was captured and interrogated, he told his interrogators that he had intended to seek revenge on Kuwait for its cooperation with the U.S. by invading again at a propitious time. This leads me to speculate that if the Bush administration had not gone to war in 2003 and Saddam had remained in power, the U.S. might have felt compelled to do so once Iraq again invaded Kuwait.

In any event, it is one thing to assert, then or now, that the Iraq war was ill-advised. It is quite another to make the horrendous charge that President Bush lied to or deceived the American people about the threat from Saddam.

I recently wrote to Ron Fournier protesting his accusation. His response, in an email, was to reiterate that “an objective reading of the events leads to only one conclusion: the administration . . . misinterpreted, distorted and in some cases lied about intelligence.” Although Mr. Fournier referred to “evidence” supporting his view, he did not cite any—and I do not believe there is any.

He did say correctly that “intelligence is never dispositive; it requires analysis and judgment, with the final call and responsibility resting with the president.” It is thus certainly possible to criticize President Bush for having believed what the CIA told him, although it seems to me that any president would have credited such confident assertions by the intelligence community. But to accuse the president of lying us into war must be seen as not only false, but as dangerously defamatory.

The charge is dangerous because it can take on the air of historical fact—with potentially dire consequences. I am reminded of a similarly baseless accusation that helped the Nazis come to power in Germany: that the German army had not really lost World War I, that the soldiers instead had been “stabbed in the back” by politicians.

Sometime in the future, perhaps long after most of us are gone, an American president may need to rely publicly on intelligence reports to support military action. It would be tragic if, at such a critical moment, the president’s credibility were undermined by memories of a false charge peddled by the likes of Ron Fournier.

Mr. Silberman, a senior federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, was co-chairman of the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction.

We were told there was a nuclear weapons program in Iraq. That turned out to be false.

Liberals are too invested in this lie to ever give it up no matter how much evidence to the contrary is presented. Its 'the' out for all the low life scum Democrats who supported the war. Its funny you never hear the low life scum left call out Saddam for lying, he intentionally tried to make the world believe he had WMD's.

Thank you for posting this.

I get so sick and tired of the Left attacking a president who did what he thought best to defend American people – the very thing he swore to do when he took office. This story comes from someone who was THERE and reviewed the same information available to the president.

It's not a matter of whether or not Hussein had the weapons, it's that the left continues to support lies in trying to make them fact. It's dangerous.

All presidents lie...as do nearly all politicians. Of course it hurts the country, but it continues unabated because the American people accept it.

A good example of this is a known serial liar like Mrs. Clinton, is a front runner for 2016?

Thank you for posting this.

I get so sick and tired of the Left attacking a president who did what he thought best to defend American people – the very thing he swore to do when he took office. This story comes from someone who was THERE and reviewed the same information available to the president.

It's not a matter of whether or not Hussein had the weapons, it's that the left continues to support lies in trying to make them fact. It's dangerous.

We invaded Iraq based on false information. So who lied to who?

Desperately trying to sell this "bad intelligence" bull shit.
And if it ain't the "bad intelligence" that made Bush sell us the war, it's the Democrats. You know, the democrats that were as stupid as the Republicans in signing off on invading Iraq. It's those Dems fault. It's Saddam's fault.

Have you ever noticed that there is NOTHING that is ever the Republicans fault? At least in their (Repubs) pea brains nothing is their fault.

If you don't believe my, take a look at a post by edgy. Everything that Republicans do, when it turns out to be a failure, which by my estimation is 100% of the time, it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.
Right edgy?
The invasion of Iraq WAS Obama's fault BECAUSE he didn't stop Bush from invading. Isn't that correct edgy?
Or was it ALL the Dems fault because they didn't stop the Republicans from invading Iraq?
Was it all Obama's fault or was it all the Democrats fault? Which one is it.

And while we are blaming Dems, lets just cut to the chase and BLAME Democrats for everything. Makes it easier that way.

A Senior FEDERAL JUDGE FROM THE DC COURT OF APPEALS says you are the one that's a lying sack of shit (as are ALL dimocraps)

He was also the co-chairman of the commission that looked into the WMD assertion.

Which, if you would bother to read the article rather than take Comedy Central and HuffBlo at their word, you'd see that they were forthright enough to say the Intelligence reports were a crock of shit.

Nothing.

You're a special type of retarded, aren't you. The type that lives in group homes and wears bibs most of the time....

So, in order to believe dimocraps.... That Bush intentionally lied, you would have to believe that --

MI-6 Lied

Mossad Lied

Iranian Intelligence Lied (who had the most to lose if Saddam had WMDs because Saddam would use them on Iran in two seconds flat)

The Chinese Intelligence Service Lied

French Surete Lied

The Russian FSB Lied (successor to the KGB)

The Saudis Lied (and they had actual HUMINT on the ground)

IOW, every single Intelligence Service on earth with any interest in Iraq, at all, lied just so GW would invade Iraq.

dimocraps lie

Period.

Nothing.

You're a special type of retarded, aren't you. The type that lives in group homes and wears bibs most of the time....

^^scumbag^^

So, in order to believe dimocraps.... That Bush intentionally lied, you would have to believe that --

MI-6 Lied

Mossad Lied

Iranian Intelligence Lied (who had the most to lose if Saddam had WMDs because Saddam would use them on Iran in two seconds flat)

The Chinese Intelligence Service Lied

French Surete Lied

The Russian FSB Lied (successor to the KGB)

IOW, every single Intelligence Service on earth with any interest in Iraq, at all, lied just so GW would invade Iraq.

dimocraps lie

Period.

Besides MI-6 which of these intelligence agencies would be interested in helping this country?

Fucking assholes like edgy claim Obama lies about the sun coming up in the east. But that does no harm cause it's Republicans lying about Obama.

But let someone point out the truth that Bush lied us into a war, and all of a sudden that could have negative consequences.

Stupid Republican fuckers.

Well fuck yea the Saudis lied. They also provided most of the terrorists and the money for 9/11.
Or don't you stupid Republican fucks believe that either? You think that the Saudis wanted the USA to look to closely at what they supported being done to the USA? And maybe miss out on the military welfare we provide them?

Fuck no, the best present any of the Bush's ever gave a Saudi King was attacking Saddam instead of them. Like we should have.

But Obama lied and said the Saudis had nothing to do with 911. It's all Obama's fault again. Right edgy?

Fucking assholes like edgy claim Obama lies about the sun coming up in the east. But that does no harm cause it's Republicans lying about Obama.

But let someone point out the truth that Bush lied us into a war, and all of a sudden that could have negative consequences.

We liberated a country.
gt_saddam_statue_toppling_630x420_101228.jpg

We liberated a country.View attachment 36642

And then let it devolve into chaos and civil war because we didn't have a post liberation plan.

Forum List

Back