The compromise on SS that both sides should be able to agree on.

They really need to adjust the point at which seniors have to pay taxes on their benefits. We have Biden giving tax credits to families earning $150,000 and more - while granny pays taxes on her SS benefits if she withdraws $25,000 or $30,000 from her IRA to live on.
I agree. Can you name ANY GOP reps who would sign on to that?

If they have anything in the stock market near retirement, they're idiots.
Not true at all. You need SOMETHING in the stock market, especially at the early point of your retirement, when you might have 30 years to go. Otherwise, you’ll never even meet the inflation rate, and your purchasing power will be cut in half

I think this thread has been very educational. It seems that a great many people, on both sides of the aisle, are terribly opposed to achieving their own stated objectives, if it involves the other side also realizing an objective.

I think we are back to government Ponzi scheme. Any retirement fund manager who managed a fund as horribly as those morons in government managed OUR SS money would be in prison!

Funding Social Security isn't going to impoverish anyone...stupid

The amount of money you pay in Social Security taxes would go a whole lot farther for your retirement needs if you were able to invest it yourself into a private retirement account.

The amount of money you pay in Social Security taxes would go a whole lot farther for your retirement needs if you were able to invest it yourself into a private retirement account.
As long as the market doesn't tank (has tanked twice in the last 15 years)

And ya don't make bad investments

Or find a "need" that money...for who knows what

Again...they tried this in Chile and it was an abject disaster

As long as the market doesn't tank (has tanks twice

Put down the vodka for a moment.

Really, in this day and age, it's hard to make "bad" investments unless you make really insanely stupid investments. It's just too easy to plop your money into low maintenance cost managed funds that are thoroughly diversified and therefore well protected. Seems to me the problem is that too many people seem to think they're supposed to go day trading with their 401k.

Put down the vodka for a moment.

Really, in this day and age, it's hard to make "bad" investments unless you make really insanely stupid investments. It's just too easy to plop your money into low maintenance cost managed funds that are thoroughly diversified and therefore well protected. Seems to me the problem is that too many people seem to think they're supposed to go day trading with their 401k.
You know what they call day traders?

Scroll down…..

Scroll down….

Scroll down…..

Bankrupt.

As long as the market doesn't tank (has tanked twice in the last 15 years)

So what if the market tanks? BFD. You talking about a 40 year timeline

Forum List

Back