The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying ..Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Them

The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)
March 9, 2016 8:29 am ·

As a former career child protective services investigator, I occasionally came across cases of religiously motivated medical neglect- mostly involving immunization issues. However, even as a practitioner in this difficult and sometimes controversial field, I had no idea how serious and widespread the problem is in some places. In addition, I never saw a case that comes close to being as horrific as the one described in the linked article and video that is the topic of this thread.

While granting religious exemptions is primarily the purview of the states, the Federal government plays an important role. Therefore, I will be posing a question to all of the candidates for president on what so far has not been, but should be, an election year issue. Yes, I did say all in that both parties are equally guilty of allowing this to continue. However, it would be interesting to see how the answers from the Democrats contrast with the answers from the candidates of the party that is obsessed with religious liberty. Case in point:

Rep. Christy Perry, who said:

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,”

“This is about where they go for eternity.”

More about that mentality later.

First, the case:

The most high profile case in recent times was that of Herbert and Catherine Schaible. The Pennsylvanian were jailed in 2014 for allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die a slow and painful death from diarrhea, rather than seek medical attention. They argued their religious beliefs stipulate that illness is a sign of ‘spiritual lack’, and only prayer can cure it.

The father, Herbert Schaible, defending their decision, said:

“We believe in divine healing, the Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil’s power,”

What makes the case all the more shocking, is that the couple were already on probation for the involuntary manslaughter of another child. Their two-year-old child died of pneumonia in 2009 after they refused to seek medical help.

The couple were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for the 2009 death, and sentenced to 10 years probation. A condition of their probation was that they sought medical attention if any of their surviving children became sick. Yet, within that probationary period, the couple allowed another child to die from a treatable illness. This time, their eight-

Source: The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

And…in my opinion, the very worst part of this is that they killed two children and had the second one who died in their care after being convicted in the first death! In my experience in the field, that is unconscionable and ludicrous. There is no indication that they were under supervision by protective services which would be a very minimal requirement in order to retain custody.

Let’s have a look at an overview of the issue, laws state by state, data on injuries to children because of religion-based medical neglect and more http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Data

As you can see, and as I stated, it is a widespread and serious problem. So while this couple was prosecuted because Pennsylvania is not one of the 16 states that have religious defenses to felony crimes against children, residents of other states may only face civil penalties or misdemeanor charges, or suffer no consequences at all

http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

Now for the all-important role of the Federal Government:

C. Federal policy

In response to Christian Science church lobbying, the federal government began requiring states to enact religious exemptions from child abuse and neglect charges in 1974. CHILD founders Rita and Douglas Swan lobbied for several years against this regulation. The federal government rescinded it in 1983.

In 1996, however, Congress enacted a law stating that the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) did not include “a Federal requirement that a parent or guardian provide a child any medical service or treatment against the religious beliefs of the parent or guardian.” 42 USC 5106i Furthermore, Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana, and Congressman Bill Goodling, R-Pennsylvania, claimed during floor discussion that parents have a First Amendment right to withhold medical care from children. http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

And that folks, is where it now stands! In 2003 CAPTA was reauthorized with no change to the religious exemptions although several organizations called upon Congress to remove the exemption, including the United Methodist Church, National Association of Medical Examiners, Justice for Children, and the National Child Abuse Coalition, which consists of about thirty national organizations working to prevent child abuse.

So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?

I hope that at least some others out there feel the outrage that I do!

babykillers.jpg

"So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?"

As a mother I would willingly allow you to be slaughtered by the dogs outside of the gate if you touched my child in a manner that I believed would hurt my child.

What's to address? Crazy and stupid people kill their kids all the time. When they claim it's part of their religion, they get a pass. It doesn't mean they're any less crazy or stupid, but it is somehow legally and/or culturally acceptable because the right to free expression of religion is just too important to fiddle with.

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.

"So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?"

As a mother I would willingly allow you to be slaughtered by the dogs outside of the gate if you touched my child in a manner that I believed would hurt my child.
What the hell are you talking about? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Why didn't you take your kids to the dentist?
I needed money to buy meth.
Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00

Why didn't you take your kids to the dentist?
Because God.
Well, okay then.

I don't get it either, but there you go.

I'm not in favor of withholding medical care but it's a tad hypocritical to be whining about "fundies" and ignore 3,700 abortions per day

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.
You think whatever you like and you can even call believing every tom dick and harry that wants to shove a needle in small children to further their agenda and buff up their bank accounts but it does not make it truth.
Get in line when the vaccines are passed out but leave other peoples children alone.
Vaccine mafia earns 'F' in science: Australian Health Minister utters the most insanely stupid anti-science statement ever recorded... 'no risks in vaccinating children'
600 strains of an aerosolized thought control vaccine already tested on humans; deployed via air, food and water

That might be part of it, but we can't underestimate the power of this religious fervor. So you're an adoptive parent.? Great! You're doing a wonderful thing!

The vast majority of Christians, and even of “fundamentalist Christians”, have no problem at all with the use of modern medicine.

The opposition to medicine is a characteristic of a few small, extreme sects, of which “Christian Scientists” are probably the most prominent.
Listen buster. What I'm sick of is hearing fundie Christians fault gay parents while ignoring the abusers in their own ranks.

That might be part of it, but we can't underestimate the power of this religious fervor. So you're an adoptive parent.? Great! You're doing a wonderful thing!
Two weeks away from finalization. Four siblings. We just filed all the paperwork. We've been their foster parents since 11/1/13.

The vast majority of Christians, and even of “fundamentalist Christians”, have no problem at all with the use of modern medicine.

The opposition to medicine is a characteristic of a few small, extreme sects, of which “Christian Scientists” are probably the most prominent.
Perhaps, but that does not mean that this is not a problem. The policy must be changed at the Federal level. One dead or seriously injured child because of this stupidity is one to many. Do you agree?

What the hell are you talking about? That makes no sense, whatsoever.
You posed a question I quoted it and gave you an answer.

Forum List

Back