The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying ..Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Them

some people always has their noses into other people lives. and now they're USING the children for their hate. IF you really cared about children you wouldn't support abortion or a party who champions it. worry over your pathetic life. nothing but ugly from this op

some people always has their noses into other people lives. and now they're USING the children for their hate. IF you really cared about children you wouldn't support abortion or a party who champions it. worry over your pathetic life. nothing but ugly from this op
First of all, I don't support abortion. I support choice and the rights of the living over the unborn. There are important differences but that is off topic and for another time.

Secondly, I'm going to say the same thing to you that I said to Sassy. To bring up abortion in an attempt to invalidate my argument - that it is wrong to allow children to suffer and die because of religious beliefs is a logical fallacy:

tu quoque (To kwok we )(Latin for "you, too" or "you, also") or the appeal to hypocrisy, is a logical fallacy that attempts to discredit the opponent's position by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with that position; it attempts to show that a criticism or objection applies equally to the person making it. This dismisses someone's point of view based on criticism of the person's inconsistency and not the position presented whereas a person's inconsistency should not discredit the position. Thus, it is a form of the ad hominem argument. To clarify, although the person being attacked might indeed be acting inconsistently or hypocritically, this does not invalidate their argument."

some people just can't keep THEIR NOSE out of other people's lives. typical of a liberal

So are you suggesting parents should be allowed to do whatever they want to their children? Abolish child welfare laws? Or, should religion be a special exception when it comes to abuse? No child should die of simple ear infection or diarheah. That is criminal neglect.

I have to laugh at this...isn't that where you guys were when it came to restricting gay marriage or the adoption of children by gay couples?

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.
You think whatever you like and you can even call believing every tom dick and harry that wants to shove a needle in small children to further their agenda and buff up their bank accounts but it does not make it truth.
Get in line when the vaccines are passed out but leave other peoples children alone.
Vaccine mafia earns 'F' in science: Australian Health Minister utters the most insanely stupid anti-science statement ever recorded... 'no risks in vaccinating children'
600 strains of an aerosolized thought control vaccine already tested on humans; deployed via air, food and water

So you are presenting an anti vaccination rant and an absurd conspiracy theory to prove what, exactly? That Fundi parents are not harming and killing their children? That it is OK and justified for them to do so? Actually, your post has absolutely nothing to do with the points that I made, or am I missing something here. I can't even count the logical fallacies in play here:

Appeal to ignorance
Definition: In the appeal to ignorance, the arguer basically says, “Look, there’s no conclusive evidence on the issue at hand. Therefore, you should accept my conclusion on this issue.”

Red herring
Definition: Partway through an argument, the arguer goes off on a tangent, raising a side issue that distracts the audience from what’s really at stake. Often, the arguer never returns to the original issue.

Weak analogy
Definition: Many arguments rely on an analogy between two or more objects, ideas, or situations. If the two things that are being compared aren’t really alike in the relevant respects, the analogy is a weak one, and the argument that relies on it commits the fallacy of weak analogy.

Ad ignorantiam
The argument from ignorance basically states that a specific belief is true because we don’t know that it isn’t true. Defenders of extrasensory perception, for example, will often overemphasize how much we do not know about the human brain. It is therefore possible, they argue, that the brain may be capable of transmitting signals at a distance.

Non-Sequitur
In Latin this term translates to “doesn’t follow”. This refers to an argument in which the conclusion does not necessarily follow from the premises. In other words, a logical connection is implied where none exists.

There are probably others, but you get the idea. Please learn how to debate a topic.

The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)
March 9, 2016 8:29 am ·

As a former career child protective services investigator, I occasionally came across cases of religiously motivated medical neglect- mostly involving immunization issues. However, even as a practitioner in this difficult and sometimes controversial field, I had no idea how serious and widespread the problem is in some places. In addition, I never saw a case that comes close to being as horrific as the one described in the linked article and video that is the topic of this thread.

While granting religious exemptions is primarily the purview of the states, the Federal government plays an important role. Therefore, I will be posing a question to all of the candidates for president on what so far has not been, but should be, an election year issue. Yes, I did say all in that both parties are equally guilty of allowing this to continue. However, it would be interesting to see how the answers from the Democrats contrast with the answers from the candidates of the party that is obsessed with religious liberty. Case in point:

Rep. Christy Perry, who said:

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,”

“This is about where they go for eternity.”

More about that mentality later.

First, the case:

The most high profile case in recent times was that of Herbert and Catherine Schaible. The Pennsylvanian were jailed in 2014 for allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die a slow and painful death from diarrhea, rather than seek medical attention. They argued their religious beliefs stipulate that illness is a sign of ‘spiritual lack’, and only prayer can cure it.

The father, Herbert Schaible, defending their decision, said:

“We believe in divine healing, the Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil’s power,”

What makes the case all the more shocking, is that the couple were already on probation for the involuntary manslaughter of another child. Their two-year-old child died of pneumonia in 2009 after they refused to seek medical help.

The couple were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for the 2009 death, and sentenced to 10 years probation. A condition of their probation was that they sought medical attention if any of their surviving children became sick. Yet, within that probationary period, the couple allowed another child to die from a treatable illness. This time, their eight-

Source: The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

And…in my opinion, the very worst part of this is that they killed two children and had the second one who died in their care after being convicted in the first death! In my experience in the field, that is unconscionable and ludicrous. There is no indication that they were under supervision by protective services which would be a very minimal requirement in order to retain custody.

Let’s have a look at an overview of the issue, laws state by state, data on injuries to children because of religion-based medical neglect and more http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Data

As you can see, and as I stated, it is a widespread and serious problem. So while this couple was prosecuted because Pennsylvania is not one of the 16 states that have religious defenses to felony crimes against children, residents of other states may only face civil penalties or misdemeanor charges, or suffer no consequences at all

http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

Now for the all-important role of the Federal Government:

C. Federal policy

In response to Christian Science church lobbying, the federal government began requiring states to enact religious exemptions from child abuse and neglect charges in 1974. CHILD founders Rita and Douglas Swan lobbied for several years against this regulation. The federal government rescinded it in 1983.

In 1996, however, Congress enacted a law stating that the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) did not include “a Federal requirement that a parent or guardian provide a child any medical service or treatment against the religious beliefs of the parent or guardian.” 42 USC 5106i Furthermore, Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana, and Congressman Bill Goodling, R-Pennsylvania, claimed during floor discussion that parents have a First Amendment right to withhold medical care from children. http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

And that folks, is where it now stands! In 2003 CAPTA was reauthorized with no change to the religious exemptions although several organizations called upon Congress to remove the exemption, including the United Methodist Church, National Association of Medical Examiners, Justice for Children, and the National Child Abuse Coalition, which consists of about thirty national organizations working to prevent child abuse.

So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?

I hope that at least some others out there feel the outrage that I do!
The OP is a liar. They are not Christian nor are they following what the Bible says. Even Luke, one of the writers of one of the New Testament books, was a medical doctor.

The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

As a former career child protective services investigator, I occasionally came across cases of religiously motivated medical neglect- mostly involving immunization issues. However, even as a practitioner in this difficult and sometimes controversial field, I had no idea how serious and widespread the problem is in some places. In addition, I never saw a case that comes close to being as horrific as the one described in the linked article and video that is the topic of this thread.

While granting religious exemptions is primarily the purview of the states, the Federal government plays an important role. Therefore, I will be posing a question to all of the candidates for president on what so far has not been, but should be, an election year issue. Yes, I did say all in that both parties are equally guilty of allowing this to continue. However, it would be interesting to see how the answers from the Democrats contrast with the answers from the candidates of the party that is obsessed with religious liberty. Case in point:

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,”

First, the case:

The most high profile case in recent times was that of Herbert and Catherine Schaible. The Pennsylvanian were jailed in 2014 for allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die a slow and painful death from diarrhea, rather than seek medical attention. They argued their religious beliefs stipulate that illness is a sign of ‘spiritual lack’, and only prayer can cure it.

“We believe in divine healing, the Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil’s power,”

What makes the case all the more shocking, is that the couple were already on probation for the involuntary manslaughter of another child. Their two-year-old child died of pneumonia in 2009 after they refused to seek medical help.

The couple were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for the 2009 death, and sentenced to 10 years probation. A condition of their probation was that they sought medical attention if any of their surviving children became sick. Yet, within that probationary period, the couple allowed another child to die from a treatable illness. This time, their eight-

Source: The Children Of Christian Fundamentalists Are Dying Because Their Parents Think Only God Can Cure Their Illnesses (VIDEO)

And…in my opinion, the very worst part of this is that they killed two children and had the second one who died in their care after being convicted in the first death! In my experience in the field, that is unconscionable and ludicrous. There is no indication that they were under supervision by protective services which would be a very minimal requirement in order to retain custody.

Let’s have a look at an overview of the issue, laws state by state, data on injuries to children because of religion-based medical neglect and more http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Data

As you can see, and as I stated, it is a widespread and serious problem. So while this couple was prosecuted because Pennsylvania is not one of the 16 states that have religious defenses to felony crimes against children, residents of other states may only face civil penalties or misdemeanor charges, or suffer no consequences at all

C. Federal policy

In response to Christian Science church lobbying, the federal government began requiring states to enact religious exemptions from child abuse and neglect charges in 1974. CHILD founders Rita and Douglas Swan lobbied for several years against this regulation. The federal government rescinded it in 1983.

In 1996, however, Congress enacted a law stating that the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) did not include “a Federal requirement that a parent or guardian provide a child any medical service or treatment against the religious beliefs of the parent or guardian.” 42 USC 5106i Furthermore, Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana, and Congressman Bill Goodling, R-Pennsylvania, claimed during floor discussion that parents have a First Amendment right to withhold medical care from children. http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=24#Exemptions

And that folks, is where it now stands! In 2003 CAPTA was reauthorized with no change to the religious exemptions although several organizations called upon Congress to remove the exemption, including the United Methodist Church, National Association of Medical Examiners, Justice for Children, and the National Child Abuse Coalition, which consists of about thirty national organizations working to prevent child abuse.

So, to those who are pushing religious freedom, usually in the context of "another issues" ....how far are you willing to push it?

The OP is a liar. They are not Christian nor are they following what the Bible says. Even Luke, one of the writers of one of the New Testament books, was a medical doctor.
When Christians do something evil, other Christians defense is to say they aren't Christian.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

When Christians do something evil, other Christians defense is to say they aren't Christian.
Especially when all the evidence proves they are not Christian and the OP is either ignorant or a liar.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

How the hell am I a liar? They identify as Christians and admit that what they did was based on their Christian God. The issue is the use of faith in a perverted and harmful way. That happened. That is a fact.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

How the hell am I a liar? They identify as Christians and admit that what they did was based on their Christian God. The issue is the use of faith in a perverted and harmful way. That happened. That is a fact.

Westboro identifies as "Christian" doesn't make Westboro Christians

I think some people cite religious objections to immunizations when truth is that it's just laziness, being unwilling to help their children. The amouint of dental neglect and medical neglect my adopted children suffer has arisen out of bio mom and dad's drug priorities.
You think whatever you like and you can even call believing every tom dick and harry that wants to shove a needle in small children to further their agenda and buff up their bank accounts but it does not make it truth.
Get in line when the vaccines are passed out but leave other peoples children alone.
Vaccine mafia earns 'F' in science: Australian Health Minister utters the most insanely stupid anti-science statement ever recorded... 'no risks in vaccinating children'
600 strains of an aerosolized thought control vaccine already tested on humans; deployed via air, food and water

I had no idea that Michelle Bachmann posted on this board! Hell, I thought that she had gone back to Oral Roberts University to get a Master's in Religious Nuttery.

I caught my grandchild's dentist trying to put flouride my her mouth. If God had wanted fluoride in my grandchild's mouth, he would have put Crest in breast milk....

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

They are not fudamentalists. You added that lie in order to deceive. No where in the Bible does it support not going to a doctor. As I said earlier, Luke was a medical doctor. They are just cultists, just as agnostics and atheists who make up their own beliefs.

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

They are not fudamentalists. You added that lie in order to deceive. No where in the Bible does it support not going to a doctor. As I said earlier, Luke was a medical doctor. They are just cultists, just as agnostics and atheists who make up their own beliefs.

As an atheist, I tried to join the cult, but could not find their church...

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

All this thread is about is another lame attempt to attack religion. Left loons sure spend an exorbitant amount of time whining about something they don't believe in, it's becoming comical

Religion cannot be used to justify child abuse. Refusing to allow medical treatment for your child due to religious reasons is a crime.

The courts have consistently ruled that parents do not have a constitutional right to harm children. The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects religious freedom, but does not confer a right to abuse or neglect children. The leading case is Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U.S. 158 (1944), in which the U. S. Supreme Court ruled, “The right to practice religion freely does not include liberty to expose the community or child to communicable disease, or the latter to ill health or death. . . . Parents may be free to become martyrs themselves. But it does not follow they are free, in identical circumstances, to make martyrs of their children before they have reached the age of full and legal discretion when they can make that choice for themselves.

Religion-related medical neglect -

Shauntay Walker, age 4, died of meningitis in Sacramento, California, in 1984. Her mother was an adult convert to Christian Science and got her no medical treatment. Shauntay was home sick from nursery school for 17 days, but the school staff did not report to Child Protection Services. Her aunt observed that the little girl was comatose and threatened to call the police. Shauntay’s mother then moved her to a Christian Scientist’s home where she died. Shauntay weighed only 29 pounds at death.

For fuller accounts, see CHILD Newsletters 1984 Summer, 1988 Fall, 1990 Volume 2, and 1992 Volume 3.

Examples in Christianity of Medical Neglect

What the Bible says about Medical Science
Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions. [3]

Christian Science adherents often rely on prayer rather than medical assistance, even for serious illness.

Many Christian denominations, notably the Catholic Church, oppose contraception even though it helps prevents the spread of STDs such as HIV.

Scientology opposes conventional mental health care. [4]

Some Christians oppose vaccines from STDs. [5]

Catholic hospital denies Michigan woman treatment on religious grounds
In 2012, Savita Halappanavar died of a miscarriage because she was refused an abortion to save her life, due to Catholic policies in Ireland. [6]
In 2008, Kara Neumann died of treatable diabetes after her parents, who were followers of the Unleavened Bread Ministries, did not get medical help. [7]
Followers of Christ Church often use prayer rather than medicine, such as in the case of Alex Morris in 1989. [2]
Religiously motivated medical neglect - Iron Chariots Wiki

First, the case:

C. Federal policy

Westboro identifies as "Christian" doesn't make Westboro Christians
Who gets to decide if a particular sect, denomination or cult is really whatever they say they are? Why do you get to decide?

But, that is not even the point, which you are missing, and I believe intentionally in which case it is actually just one more logical fallacy among many that has plagued this thread:

Missing the point Definition: The premises of an argument does support a particular conclusion—but not the conclusion that the arguer actually draws. You have drawn the conclusion that I am attacking Christians which may actually be a reasonable conclusion since Christians are cited in the article that I posted. However, if you pay attention, I personally am not attacking Christians.

My consistent position has been 1) that it is wrong for parents to deny medical care to children for ANY reason-religious or otherwise, and if religious, that means all religions. So, you harping on the issue of whether or not these parents are Christian, and accusing me of Christian bashing is irrelevant. 2) That there should be NO religious exemptions for parents of any faith.

In addition, your claim that they are not really Christians and therefor Christians can't be blamed is also a strawman fallacy
because that is not my argument at all. I am neither blaming all Christians or claiming that their being Christian is relevant to my position.

Forum List

Back