Teenagers have no respect

High School Teacher here.

1. A common statement heard from teens is: "You have to EARN my respect". Someone, somewhere, has taught them that respect for elders or authority is not a given. I did not raise my children that way.

2. Too many parents want to be their children's friend. It is much easier to say "yes" than "no". Hence, no boundaries are set and respect for others must be "earned".

3. School discipline policies rarely address the lack of respect. A student calls a teacher "a dumb ass bitch" he or she "may" serve a detention at most. At the student's convenience, of course. :evil: I'd prefer a written apology. One full page; double spaced; one inch margin, with proper use of transitional phrases. Now that's punishment. :lol:

When I was in High School I have seen teachers get cussed out many times, I recall one time the kid called the teacher an asshole, and one kid told our creative writing teacher fuck you, not much really happened. They were taken to the office on both occasions, the kid in my creative writing class got switched to a different class but nothing happened the kid who called the teacher an asshole, neither of them was suspended.

Good thing they weren't Nuns ...... :eek:

Maybe the teachers were assholes?

It DOES Happen, ya know.

When I was in High School I have seen teachers get cussed out many times, I recall one time the kid called the teacher an asshole, and one kid told our creative writing teacher fuck you, not much really happened. They were taken to the office on both occasions, the kid in my creative writing class got switched to a different class but nothing happened the kid who called the teacher an asshole, neither of them was suspended.

Good thing they weren't Nuns ...... :eek:

It DOES Happen, ya know.

If you consider my creative writing teacher telling the student to please wake up in his class as being an asshole, I guess he was.

It DOES Happen, ya know.

If you consider my creative writing teacher telling the student to please wake up in his class as being an asshole, I guess he was.

:eusa_hand:

No, I consider your creative writing teacher one of the typical masochists in teaching.

:eusa_eh:

I would always let the little shits sleep.:cool:

He let that guy sleep pretty much the whole quarter, it was one of the last days when he tried to get this guy to wake up and all hell broke loose, most of the teachers in my school would be ok with letting the kids sleep as long as they are not bothered, I am not sure if this right or wrong but thats the way it was.

No, I consider your creative writing teacher one of the typical masochists in teaching.

He let that guy sleep pretty much the whole quarter, it was one of the last days when he tried to get this guy to wake up and all hell broke loose, most of the teachers in my school would be ok with letting the kids sleep as long as they are not bothered, I am not sure if this right or wrong but thats the way it was.

I suppose if you LIKE being called an asshole, you wake them up.

Maybe it was a pride issue, every one was participating in the class except this guy, the class was right after lunch and this guy would come in and go right to sleep.

Some old fart has been saying this about teenagers for centuries. I'm reminded of the song, "Anything Goes".

Last edited:

Maybe it was a pride issue, every one was participating in the class except this guy, the class was right after lunch and this guy would come in and go right to sleep.

"Pride Issue?"

Anyone with a "Pride Issue" better not become a public high school teacher.

"Pride Issue?"

You'd be surprised, I had a few teachers like that and they always got their feelings hurt.

"Pride Issue?"

You'd be surprised, I had a few teachers like that and they always got their feelings hurt.

I work in an elementary school. The teachers there work very hard and sometimes they get frustrated.

They are asked to deal with some very tough kids. Kids that need one on one all the time.

"Pride Issue?"

I work in an elementary school. The teachers there work very hard and sometimes they get frustrated.

They are asked to deal with some very tough kids. Kids that need one on one all the time.

VERY FEW Teachers that "work very hard" remain teachers very long....

The ones in my school have been there a long time. You are quite the cynic. We have a great school. I am blessed to work with such great people.

Are you this cynical all the time?

The ones in my school have been there a long time. You are quite the cynic. We have a great school. I am blessed to work with such great people.

My guess is that we have vastly different definitions of "Working Hard."

Teachers that work hard are working in public schools that are 90% minority and 75% Title I recipients.

Teachers that work hard are working in public schools that are 90% minority and 75% Title I recipients.

You are a cynic. That's a painful state of mind. I am proud to work with such great people. Kids in our school are very fortunate. The teachers work very hard. Our kids perform well on Star testing.

Last edited:

You are a cynic. That's a painful state of mind. I am proud to work with such great people. Kids in our school are very fortunate. The teachers work very hard. Our kids perform well on Star testing.

Since you don't seem to know the % Title I students at your school, I'm guessing there are very few and the student body is mostly white.

This would also explain your surgically attached rose-colored glasses.

It's not that big of a deal. Nothing really CHANGES when you get married from the way things already were before, except that you won't be having sex with him anywhere close to the frequency you did before. :D

there was a recent survey showing married people have more sex than singles....i swear my first reaction was...were the singles polled buddist monks?

Single people definently have more sex than married folks, that poll was bs.

The only married people that have good sex lives are the ones who are swingers.

Its because the government made it so difficult for you to even discipline your child without fear of being in trouble. I spanked my children when they were small, did time outs and took their favorite toys away when they disrespected us,, now a days you cant even spank them or they accuse you of child abuse if the child mentions it in school even though its just a small swat on the butt. My children have respect of adults. Its yes mam no mam , yes sir , no sir , Thanks you , no thank you when addressing adults , police or anyone else in that same position. There is a difference is spanking a child and abusing it but the laws have changed so much I would be afraid these days to even do it. I was spanked as a child and so did all my siblings and my husbands family as well. Guess what we are all law abiding citizens , never was afraid of my parents when we were young and knew they did it because they loved us and wanted us to respect adults . Shoot they even spanked us at schools those days. We respected our teachers. These days I would hate to be a teacher because the kids know they cant do anything to them but get suspended which they want anyway!

Its because the government made it so difficult for you to even discipline your child without fear of being in trouble. I spanked my children when they were small, did time outs and took their favorite toys away when they disrespected us,, now a days you cant even spank them or they accuse you of child abuse if the child mentions it in school even though its just a small swat on the butt. My children have respect of adults. Its yes mam no mam , yes sir , no sir , Thanks you , no thank you when addressing adults , police or anyone else in that same position. There is a difference is spanking a child and abusing it but the laws have changed so much I would be afraid these days to even do it. I was spanked as a child and so did all my siblings and my husbands family as well. Guess what we are all law abiding citizens , never was afraid of my parents when we were young and knew they did it because they loved us and wanted us to respect adults . Shoot they even spanked us at schools those days. We respected our teachers. These days I would hate to be a teacher because the kids know they cant do anything to them but get suspended which they want anyway!

Nowadays if you spank your child in public and someone calls the cops, you can be arrested for child abuse.

Forum List

Back