Ted Cruz - Natural Born Citizen? Revival thread

Ok, so I know this has been covered a number of times already, however I haven't seen the following link posted which to me seems to spell it out..

Are you the foreign-born child of a parent who becomes a U.S. citizen?

This is how the US government defines citizens from birth vs citizens based on application after birth. To me, this is essentially "natural born citizen" vs "allowed citizen via application after birth". This is specific to americans born outside of the US which applies in Cruz's case, as opposed to obvious natural born citizens born within the United States.

From this page, if his parents were _not_ married he's good to go, but if his parents _were_ married when he was born then he probably wouldn't qualify..

Thoughts?

How did you get to be a citizen? Did you do anything other then be born?

Now ask yourself what Cruz did to be a citizen.

If you come to the conclusion he did the same as you did and you consider yourself a natural citizen then the logic follows.

If you come to the conclusion he did the same as you did and you consider yourself a natural citizen then the logic follows.

That's just the thing.. Cruz did the same thing as me, we are very similar in that sense. We were both born in Canada, and were both born Canadian Citizens.. However he gave his up just recently..

However, my daughter was born in the US to 2 Canadian parents. She is American, but she is also a natural born Canadian because she was born to 2 Canadian parents.

Cruz, however was not born to 2 American parents. He was born to 1 American parent and 1 Cuban parent, in Canada. According to that US Government link, he is allowed to get his American citizenship after birth by applying, but isn't a natural born citizen. The difference being "citizenship at birth" vs "automatic citizenship after birth" .. The only one of those two statements that would mean "natural born citizen" to me, is the first.

That's just the thing.. Cruz did the same thing as me, we are very similar in that sense. We were both born in Canada, and were both born Canadian Citizens.. However he gave his up just recently..

However, my daughter was born in the US to 2 Canadian parents. She is American, but she is also a natural born Canadian because she was born to 2 Canadian parents.

Cruz, however was not born to 2 American parents. He was born to 1 American parent and 1 Cuban parent, in Canada. According to that US Government link, he is allowed to get his American citizenship after birth by applying, but isn't a natural born citizen. The difference being "citizenship at birth" vs "automatic citizenship after birth" .. The only one of those two statements that would mean "natural born citizen" to me, is the first.

OK, I assumed you were an American citizen. If he isn't a natural born citizen then how did he become a citizen?

OK, I assumed you were an American citizen. If he isn't a natural born citizen then how did he become a citizen?

By his parents filling out the paperwork that allows him to become a citizen based on his mother's citizenship.. But that's different from "natural born citizen".. Still a citizen, but not at birth.

Born on/after
12/24/52 and
prior to
11/14/86

One citizen and
one alien parent

Citizen had been physically present in U.S. or its
outlying possessions 10 years,
at least 5 of which were
after age 14.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiV85Ts1dnKAhXK4yYKHQKYAosQFgg_MAU&url=http://firrp.org/media/USC-Guide-Acquired-Citizenship-Chart.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH7vB4uEAoHbzJYJlIEtcTODk56aA

^Cruz's parents had lived in Canada for three years prior to his birth. Maybe there is something to this after all.

"At the time of his birth, Cruz's parents had lived in Calgary for three years and were working in the oil business as owners of a seismic-data processing firm for oil drilling.[9][11][12][13][14] Cruz has said, “I’m the son of two mathematicians/computer programmers.”[15] In 1974, his father left the family and moved to Texas.[16] Later that same year, his parents reconciled and relocated to Houston.[6]"

"His mother was born in Wilmington, Delaware, and is three quarters Irish and one quarter Italian"

"His mother earned an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Rice University in the 1950s"
And yet she wasn't physically present at the time of his birth as she'd been in Canada for three years.

She didn't need to be.
According to what I posted, she did.

Citizen had been physically present in U.S. or its outlying possessions 10 years, at least 5 of which were after age 14.

His mom spent far more than 5 years in the US after the age of 14.
It is not clear. It doesn't say WHEN so I inferred it meant encompassing the birth. If you have a link that spells it out I will believe you.

"At the time of his birth, Cruz's parents had lived in Calgary for three years and were working in the oil business as owners of a seismic-data processing firm for oil drilling.[9][11][12][13][14] Cruz has said, “I’m the son of two mathematicians/computer programmers.”[15] In 1974, his father left the family and moved to Texas.[16] Later that same year, his parents reconciled and relocated to Houston.[6]"

"His mother was born in Wilmington, Delaware, and is three quarters Irish and one quarter Italian"

"His mother earned an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Rice University in the 1950s"
And yet she wasn't physically present at the time of his birth as she'd been in Canada for three years.

She didn't need to be.

Citizen had been physically present in U.S. or its outlying possessions 10 years, at least 5 of which were after age 14.

It is not clear. It doesn't say WHEN so I inferred it meant encompassing the birth. If you have a link that spells it out I will believe you.

The 'citizen' mentioned is the American born parent, not the child.

I already covered moms birth and citizenship

But even so, as noted in my earlier cut and paste, he was born in 1970, and the family moved to Texas in 1974.

MORE than covers the 5 years after he turned 14

She didn't need to be.

But even so, as noted in my earlier cut and paste, he was born in 1970, and the family moved to Texas in 1974.

I realize it is the parent, the "citizen" mentioned. It is not clear WHEN the physically present in the US must fall.

She didn't need to be.

I realize it is the parent, the "citizen" mentioned. It is not clear WHEN the physically present in the US must fall.

Your own link stated it.

10 years, at least 5 after the age of 14

Your own link stated it.

10 years, at least 5 after the age of 14
It does not say when that time period is, though. But after reading several other websites, including the state department's, I've concluded that you are probably correct.

The Dims trashed Conservatives for questioning "The Blamer" where he was born, and rightfully so (sealed college records, $3 million Hawaiian vacation miraculously produces BC). So now the Dims are the birthers and be damned if we condemn them for it. You leftists make me sick.

You mean 'leftists' like Donald Trump and Ann Coulter?

LOL- the leading candidate of the GOP is the biggest Birther of all- and yet you just continue the usual 'blame the leftists'...

Ok, we've got 2 sources here that differ on what's required for a natural born citizen..

First we have the link provided in the OP:
source: USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services)
date: 2015
Are you the foreign-born child of a parent who becomes a U.S. citizen?
According to which Cruz _would_not_ apply (unless his parents were _not_ married at the time of his birth).

Then we have a second link provided:
source: The Florence Immigration & Refugee Rights Project
date: 2012
http://firrp.org/media/USC-Guide-Acquired-Citizenship-Chart.pdf
According to which Cruz _would_ apply because he was born between 1952 and 1986 and his mother spent 10 years in the US, 5 of which were after her 14th birthday.

So there you have it.. It depends on where you want to pull your info from.

This would not be as much of an issue if some people had not brought it up on Obama 8 years ago. Though, it is clear to me that Cruz is (1) legally an American citizen; and (2) he is an American in mind and heart. You cannot say that about Obama, at least not with a straight face.

Since President Obama was born in the United States, has been U.S. citizen his entire life, and is an American in mind and heart- sure- no problem saying that.

Cruz of course is eligible too- despite what the GOP Birthers say.

Obama has already set the precedent on this issue. It really doesn't matter if Cruz is a citizen or not. Just hide your real birth certificat, parade the long form around, and then make it appear that anyone who questions it is doing so because you are racist. The last part makes it virtually impossible for any white politician to use this trick.

Obama has already set the precedent on this issue. It really doesn't matter if Cruz is a citizen or not. Just hide your real birth certificat, parade the long form around, and then make it appear that anyone who questions it is doing so because you are racist. The last part makes it virtually impossible for any white politician to use this trick.

LOL- Birthers are such idiots.

And of course the Idiot in Chief Birther is Donald Trump.

This would not be as much of an issue if some people had not brought it up on Obama 8 years ago. Though, it is clear to me that Cruz is (1) legally an American citizen; and (2) he is an American in mind and heart. You cannot say that about Obama, at least not with a straight face.

Since President Obama was born in the United States, has been U.S. citizen his entire life, and is an American in mind and heart- sure- no problem saying that.

Obama may be a legal citizen, but he is most certainly NOT an American. His values are shared only by a distinct minority of people living in this country, many of which are not legal citizens.

Obama may be a legal citizen, but he is most certainly NOT an American. His values are shared only by a distinct minority of people living in this country, many of which are not legal citizens.

And yet he won in a landslide .

And yet he won in a landslide .
Not the second time. He squeaked by the second time, when most of his supporters figured out what a shit he is. The only reason Barry won was because of the poor turnout for Romney. Just about all the pollsters picked Romney to win. Unfortunately, a lot of voters stayed home.

Yes, the first time around a bunch of dumb white kids and minorities went to the polls for Barry in droves. Why do you think they did not go to the polls in droves the second time, Einstein?

Are you a mental retard? You lack a firm grasp on reality.

Since President Obama ... is an American in mind and heart- ....

"In mind and heart"??????????????

Forum List

Back