Teaching a balanced view of the Holocaust in Texas

There can be no "opposing view" to the truth that the Holocaust was the most evil event to occur in modern times, while taking nothing away from the evils inflicted on other minorities. Anti-Semitism has existed and manifested itself in Europe for centuries and touched America centuries before the Holocaust happened. It is based on a warped conclusion of Christians that an entire religion is to be blamed in perpetuity for the death of the man whose teachings form the basis of the Christian faith, and who was himself Jewish. It carries with it the ridiculous view that Jews somehow owe Christians something, which they never have. How ironic that the Christians had to throw away the very teachings of this man in order to arrive at this conclusion.
Also false.

Your link:

"State Sen. Bryan Hughes, an East Texas Republican who wrote Senate Bill 3, denied that the law requires teachers to provide opposing views on what he called matters of 'good and evil' or to get rid of books that offer only one perspective on the Holocaust.

"'That’s not what the bill says,' Hughes said in an interview Wednesday when asked about the Carroll book guidelines. 'I’m glad we can have this discussion to help elucidate what the bill says, because that’s not what the bill says.'"

Perhaps a historical perspective that answers the question of why Jews have been subject of such crimes as the Holocaust would help Americans understand both sides of "good and evil" in modern day Israel?

Pogroms

"Pogrom came into frequent use as a term around 1881 after anti-Semitic violence erupted following the assassination of Czar Alexander II."
I was going to post that part of the article but you beat me to it glad to see at least one other person actually read it.

Some folks think that only Jews were murdered during the Holocaust.

Some folks think that only 6 million people were murdered personally, I think the 12 million tally is a 2, or 3 million short).

Some think all the death camps were in Germany.

There are a lot of false assumptions about the Holocaust.
Some think that only Nazis committed mass genocide and ignore the actions of communists in Russia and China and the deaths of over 70 million people.

This is the key point of that legislation that nobody can really criticize:

A. teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;

What's wrong with that? Why are all the leftists so ass hurt about not being able to indoctrinate and present only one perspective?
So are you saying we should allow holocaust deniers to have a voice? What you are advocating is bringing lies and conspiracy theories into the history classroom. You are advocating the teaching of lies. There arent good people on both sides, regardless of what you think.

For once words fail me.Right wing lunacy has seen all sorts of nonsense dragged into the classroom. For example trying to debunk Darwin. But this seems quite dangerous to me.

I wonder if its just boneheadism or if there is a more sinister movement behind this.
Cynthia McKinney and Rashida Tlaib are right wingers? who knew?

So are you saying we should allow holocaust deniers to have a voice? What you are advocating is bringing lies and conspiracy theories into the history classroom. You are advocating the teaching of lies. There arent good people on both sides, regardless of what you think.
Yet we elect some of them to Congress.

What a load of crap. The Holocaust was a foreign country's policy. Nothing in the legislation says alternative views are required when discussing the actions of foreign countries. This is a red herring.
It can, however, be included as a current event. So the bill covers the holocaust. If you discuss the holocaust in a Texas classroom, you also must discuss holocaust denial, according to the wording of this bill. I'm sure further clarification will be given in the future.

Texas along with many other states mandates a Holocaust Remembrance Week in public schools. Wouldn't the opposing view be holocaust forgetfulness week?

1634310334122.png

For once words fail me.Right wing lunacy has seen all sorts of nonsense dragged into the classroom. For example trying to debunk Darwin. But this seems quite dangerous to me.

I wonder if its just boneheadism or if there is a more sinister movement behind this.
So discussing and critical thinking are things you don't want in the classroom? You just want kids to accept whatever a teacher says is the God's honest truth? I think I am more liberal than you are. I believe we needs lots of discussion and reasoning to present facts and teach and guide. The Holocaust is real, it is a blackmark on human history.

Just to be clear, I have relatives that are Democrats and believe the Holocaust was all made up. Pretty stupid to bring up politics when many lefties deny the Holocaust.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
So are you saying we should allow holocaust deniers to have a voice?
No, but let's talk about that.

What's wrong with bringing in that perspective and letting it be heard and discussed?

Why are you afraid of exposing stupid shit? Why do you think covering it up makes the world better?

You are afraid of free expression because you think people are not capable of thinking for themselves.

Tell me I am wrong?

What you are advocating is bringing lies and conspiracy theories into the history classroom.
You are the perfect little tyrant, aren't you?

But, no. I am advocating for allowing students to hear many points of view and decide for themselves, rather than be little robots who always think/behave as commanded.

Is it you fear that students will believe the bullshit? Are you afraid that any opposing view will win them over?
You are advocating the teaching of lies. There arent good people on both sides, regardless of what you think.
I am advocating for teaching kids TO THINK!!!!

You are advocating for teaching kids to obey blindly!!!

It can, however, be included as a current event. So the bill covers the holocaust. If you discuss the holocaust in a Texas classroom, you also must discuss holocaust denial, according to the wording of this bill. I'm sure further clarification will be given in the future.
You can discuss and teach that there are those who deny the Holocaust happened, discuss some of their claims, show how easily they are debunked and give the students valuable insight on how to spot conspiracy theories and where their weak points are. Pretending these people don't exist isn't going to help the kids.

It's always fun when these hypocritical antisemites like Tammy and others in this thread support antisemitism when it comes from their fellow leftists or from minorities, but not when it comes from the right.

If it were BLM, Muslims or ANTIFA saying the same thing, these worthless morons would be defending it.

So discussing and critical thinking are things you don't want in the classroom? You just want kids to accept whatever a teacher says is the God's honest truth? I think I am more liberal than you are. I believe we needs lots of discussion and reasoning to present facts and teach and guide. The Holocaust is real, it is a blackmark on human history.

Just to be clear, I have relatives that are Democrats and believe the Holocaust was all made up. Pretty stupid to bring up politics when many lefties deny the Holocaust.
And that's where we need to be teaching kids HOW to think instead of always WHAT to think. They need to know how to ask questions, to look at the whole picture and not just the headlines from their favorite hate merchants. If all you consume are leftist news outlets, that's all you're going to "know" and you will be flabbergasted that anyone could "know" anything else.

No, we shouldn't. Just like communists shouldn't have a voice.

No it can't be a current event. Whatever attempt to link it as such would be a topic that could offer an alternative view. Two separate things.

Forum List

Back