Teacher Shortage - Solutions

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

So the often-exaggerated teacher shortage is real and critical in Pennsylvania. The first solution proposed is always MORE MONEY, but aside from that, isn't it obvious from the outside that the working environment for teachers is - shall we say - not good? They have to deal with mandates from the administration, the school district, the states, and the Feds, while the students become more and more unteachable due to a lack of discipline, the Pandemic, and ever-more-demanding parents.

Why would anyone other than a masochist want to get into teaching today?

I have often been told in this forum that I know nothing about education, so what solutions might help? Inquiring minds want to know.

I would expand teaching to other fields than education

Ex Military, business degrees, retirees, prison guards

So the often-exaggerated teacher shortage is real and critical in Pennsylvania. The first solution proposed is always MORE MONEY, but aside from that, isn't it obvious from the outside that the working environment for teachers is - shall we say - not good? They have to deal with mandates from the administration, the school district, the states, and the Feds, while the students become more and more unteachable due to a lack of discipline, the Pandemic, and ever-more-demanding parents.

I have often been told in this forum that I know nothing about education, so what solutions might help? Inquiring minds want to know.
Student loan forgiveness for those who wish to become teachers; this goes for both formal educators as well as those willing to teach part-time.

I know too many in this place won't believe it, but I'm a dedicated teacher with high ratings, awards, and 30 years behind me. I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. But I wouldn't want to go into it NOW, and would warn anyone against going into it. Now.

Typing this makes me so sad.

It's untenable. It's unsustainable.

America is no longer a community.

No one trusts anyone else. Too many parents expect a customized, tutorial relationship to the point they want daily reports on what their children ate for lunch and both snacks from the teacher with 28 students in the room. And on, and on, and on. The tenets "the customer is always right" and "we want to hear from you" have ruined America. As just one example.

So you have parents demanding these things on one end and yes, federal, state, and local officials demanding other things. And my fellow conservatives all day long accusing us of being indoctrinators and worse.

It's done. It's already over.

Because they care about students.
Great as Virtue Signalling .

But on what grounds do you believe that old style teachers should care for objects/ things that are mostly ignorant and apparently irretrievably stupid ?
That is , have not even provided proof of species identity
Rhetorical .

I know too many in this place won't believe it, but I'm a dedicated teacher with high ratings, awards, and 30 years behind me. I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. But I wouldn't want to go into it NOW, and would warn anyone against going into it. Now.

Typing this makes me so sad.

It's untenable. It's unsustainable.

America is no longer a community.

No one trusts anyone else. Too many parents expect a customized, tutorial relationship to the point they want daily reports on what their children ate for lunch and both snacks from the teacher with 28 students in the room. And on, and on, and on. The tenets "the customer is always right" and "we want to hear from you" have ruined America. As just one example.

So you have parents demanding these things on one end and yes, federal, state, and local officials demanding other things. And my fellow conservatives all day long accusing us of being indoctrinators and worse.

It's done. It's already over.
STFU, Eeyore
1676467425920.jpeg

Stop talking about it and quit already. You have been bitching and moaning about it forever. Go. GTFO.

My wife is a retired teacher. We have many teacher friends. Nobody wants to be a teacher nowadays and it is not just pay. My wife said she would not teach nowadays for any amount of money. It is the fact the classrooms are inundated with Black, Brown and Illegal shit and there is no discipline or respect among the students. No support from the parents. Too much woke crap.

Both our sons went to private schools and so are our grandkids. Piss on the public schools. They are for the Poors.

r...... It is the fact the classrooms are inundated with Black, Brown and Illegal shit .....
I guess if you are a racist POS you would find it uncomfortable working with and for all sorts of people.

Kind of like the over exaggerated labor shortage.

I guess if you are a racist POS you would find it uncomfortable working with and for all sorts of people.
Blacks and Brown have fucked up American education. Before desegregation we were number one in the world ranking for education. I doubt we are even in the top 20 now.

Both my parent were teachers at one time. Many of my family members were or are in the profession. What I repeatedly hear is that the lack of ability to provide order and discipline in the classroom combined with a curriculum based on politics and fantasy are the biggest issues they face today.

Forum List

Back