School Boards and Free Speech

Should free speech exclude criticism of staff and elected officials?

• Yes. Free speech doesn't always apply.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. All speech is free speech

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Orther.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama

Should freedom of speech be allowed at local Board of Education meetings or should board members and citizens be forbidden from criticizing individual board members and employees of the school district?

Pretty much only freedom of speech when it comes to attacking gays and trans. Conservative fascist are the only one deserving of freedom of speech as far as you assholes are concern...Get use to gays and trans people because they're NOT going anywhere and we will fight like hell for our freedoms and speech.

Last edited:

Should freedom of speech be allowed at local Board of Education meetings or should board members and citizens be forbidden from criticizing individual board members and employees of the school district?
In reading the article, it looks like there was a breakdown in decorum and order. Regardless of whether the people elected these members or not, those members are still required to conduct the business of the school board. That can't happen if you have parent after parent thinking their point of view is the only one that matters. Normally, if it is a topic of concern to the parents, it is a separate meeting with a chosen number of parents to speak with an allotted time. But that's most people's problem. The I-want-my-15-minutes-on-social-media-microphone.

Parents voices matter and should always be heard when it comes to matters of their children.
That being said, there are forums to conduct that in. These people are elected, but they have other jobs.
Last thing I'd want to be doing is coming back night after night to try and finish business because everybody's gotta chip their 2 cents in.

School boards need to be held accountable for their decisions and parents have the right to question any policy they deem to be wrong.

Pretty much only freedom of speech when it comes to attacking gays and trans. Conservative fascist are the only one deserving of freedom of speech as far as you assholes are concern...Get use to gays and trans people because they're NOT going anywhere and we will fight like hell for our freedoms and speech.
I am 100% against Conservative attacks on LGBT Community.

All people are sinful. The number of completely sinless people is probably under 10 individuals among 30 billion adults that lived since Creation.

In reading the article, it looks like there was a breakdown in decorum and order. Regardless of whether the people elected these members or not, those members are still required to conduct the business of the school board. That can't happen if you have parent after parent thinking their point of view is the only one that matters. Normally, if it is a topic of concern to the parents, it is a separate meeting with a chosen number of parents to speak with an allotted time. But that's most people's problem. The I-want-my-15-minutes-on-social-media-microphone.

Parents voices matter and should always be heard when it comes to matters of their children.
That being said, there are forums to conduct that in. These people are elected, but they have other jobs.
Last thing I'd want to be doing is coming back night after night to try and finish business because everybody's gotta chip their 2 cents in.
School Board Meetings are like PTA meetings. So boring you drool. When did this change?

School Board Meetings are like PTA meetings. So boring you drool. When did this change?
Oh, I could have introduced you to some lively ones in my town circa 1995-1998. They were downright cage matches.
Again, this rise of the right wing in school boards isn't a new thing.

Now, School Boards across the country are PRAYING for a meeting so boring you drool.
It changed and made a comback....well, when You-Know-Who burst on to the stage.

Back in December this same chairman told a lady "this is not the forum to personally attack someone".

Supposedly you only have freedom of speech if the speech is nice.

I'm waiting for the argument to come out that a former member of that board, who harassed another member to the point that he ended up being criminally prosecuted and convicted, and was forced to resign, was only exercising his legitimate “free speech”.

I'm waiting for the argument to come out that a former member of that board, who harassed another member to the point that he ended up being criminally prosecuted and convicted, and was forced to resign, was only exercising his legitimate “free speech”.

So you didn't watch the video and never will? Is that what you are saying?

Free speech can be very expensive.

A pure hatred in your soul for the freedom of speech ain't cheap either. Forcing parents to shut the fuck up can cost quite a bit in legal fees but it does pay off. You can silence dissenters if you pay good. By the time the supreme court rules against you, you have already accomplished your goal.

Fuck free speech super hard even if it costs taxpayers $400,000. Dissenters are easy to silence. Fuck them and fuck them hard. Bill Lanier is in charge. Make no doubt about that shit. He owns the county.

So you didn't watch the video and never will? Is that what you are saying?

Nope, Not going to.

Watching videos is much, much, much less convenient for me, in nearly all circumstances, than reading.

If you want to make a point that depends on the content of a video, then you really need to provide a text summary of the relevant part of the video, or else be able to make a very, very, very strong case why I should waste the time, effort, and disturbance of whomever else might be present, to watch the video.

Nope, Not going to.

Watching videos is much, much, much less convenient for me, in nearly all circumstances, than reading.

If you want to make a point that depends on the content of a video, then you really need to provide a text summary of the relevant part of the video, or else be able to make a very, very, very strong case why I should waste the time, effort, and disturbance of whomever else might be present, to watch the video.
Sometimes videos are the way to go, sometimes not. For example, it's good to have a video of what someone actually said because the media often distorts what someone says. However, If the video is longer than 3 minutes, it's got to be something I'm really, REALLY interested in or I'm not watching.

Irrelevant. That board member was removed from office.

Sometimes videos are the way to go, sometimes not. For example, it's good to have a video of what someone actually said because the media often distorts what someone says. However, If the video is longer than 3 minutes, it's got to be something I'm really, REALLY interested in or I'm not watching.

If I still had my iPhone I would do a screen record and show you the juiciest parts. It is way more than 3 minutes of juicy stuff.

I think the person who screen recorded this was trying to be fair and leave some background. The original video is like 2 hours.

Harvesting the drama would still be 5+ minutes.

Forum List

Back